Traveling with a laptop computer

aneka

We will be cruising with Celebrity next month and for the first time we will be travelling with a laptop computer.

Do we need to be concerned about power requirements, surge protection, special plugs or anything else?

Also, has anyone travelled with one of the new laptop cases that open up fully so that you do not have to take the laptop out when going through security? Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Annette

The power in the cabin works fine and we never use surge protectors on board the ship.

The laptop case that open fully work fine through security. I travel weekly for business and have never had an issue with them. Just for information, if you have an iPad, it does not even have to be out of you carry in bag at all

You will have to sign up for minutes, either by a package of min. or single use. I think I signed up in the computer lab, but then used our net book in our room/balcony rather than leaving to do a quick email or two. Slower than home, but I tended to use it late at night and that seemed to help with speed.

What size is your laptop. Are you worried about security? If it is a 14 in or under then it will fit in the safe. If not assess what you want to do with it. I use a cable lock which attaches to that square hole on your laptop and I loop the other end through the bedframe. In this way its always ready by teh side of the bed and I don't have to move all that stuff in the safe around to fit it in each time.

Don't forget to password your machine.

I've always left my laptop sitting out on the desk -- never had a problem -- it's password protected. I can't imagine the stateroom attendant walking off with it.

Now that I have an ipad, I'll probably be putting it in the safe when we leave the stateroom.

We've taken a laptop and now an iPad. They only add'l thing I'd recommend is maybe take an extension cord. There are only a few outlets in the rooms, at least the ones we've used.

I personally don't make a big deal of securing my computer. I put it in a drawer and that's it. Never an issue, but don't know if I'm just lucky...my view is our stewards are trustworthy. I've had money laying around and other items and never lost anything or heard of anyone losing something. I'm sure someone will post they lost items, but if you do, please only post that you personally lost items, not 'heard it from someone' - just a suggestion so we don't get into the 'John told Judy who told Jake who told....' and the it gets exaggerated. Many people misplace their things and blame it on theft.

Den

We always bring our Acer Netbook and I love traveling with it. So convenient having our own computer with us and the netbook travels so lightly and easily. I have a lock for it but have never bothered using it. I feel very safe leaving it on the counter or putting it in a drawer.

The power in the cabin works fine and we never use surge protectors on board the ship.

The laptop case that open fully work fine through security. I travel weekly for business and have never had an issue with them. Just for information, if you have an iPad, it does not even have to be out of you carry in bag at all

I find taking the iPad out varies by airport and maybe even particular TSA. Never had an issue at O'hare but at Logan they made me take it out.

B.

Wine-O

Can I suggest that you at least put you computer out of sight. Following a thread about a missing wallet in a cabin, I took particular note of the cabin proceedure on our last cruise.

When the steward is in your cabin, the door is normally wedged open. We were on the balcony one day and we could see the steward working in the cabin, fair enough. When she had finished the cabin, she came on the balcony to clean the glass, which as we were in a suite took about ten minutes. During this time no one was in the cabin, and the balcony door was closed, anyone could easily walk in the cabin and snatch a valuable item.

On the same cruise I wanted the steward, and knew she was around, went looking for her, again she was on a cabin balcony, I called her from the cabin doorway and she could not hear me!

Richard

We will be cruising with Celebrity next month and for the first time we will be travelling with a laptop computer.

Do we need to be concerned about power requirements, surge protection, special plugs or anything else?

Also, has anyone travelled with one of the new laptop cases that open up fully so that you do not have to take the laptop out when going through security? Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Annette

You might want to consider taking a European adapter plug. I was on one ship (can't remember which one) and wanted to plug in my laptop away from my room. Turned out that all the wall plugs were European, not American.

DON

Thanks,

Annette

I travel with both an iPad and an Asus Eee Pc netbook and it depends on the ship. On the newest ships they have WiFi throughout the ship and M class do not. i Pads do not get extra security, at the airports, as they are considered like Kindles. (Go figure) My Asus I have to take out of the case. If you are going on an M class ship, I would recommend you use a PC based netbook. S class ships have iPad qualified people, but M class do not (in general) I am basing this on our most recent cruise to the Caribbean and iPads were a problem for the staff. Hopefully this is helpful.

I have a 14 1/2" laptop.......will it fit in the room safe? Also so they have computers you can use if needed? Is the cost the same? We haven't cruised in 8 years so I know things have changed....not sure bringing it would be worth it.

Archived