Whale Watching In Juneau

Claybuster58

We shared a similar problem but decided to combine a glacier trip followed by an evening whale watch - its on the HAL excursion list if that helps. They guarantee a sighting or you get $100 back -not sure what classes as a guaranteed sighting -a ripple or a fin? may some other forumites could clarify this?

They guarantee a sighting or you get $100 back -not sure what classes as a guaranteed sighting -a ripple or a fin? may some other forumites could clarify this?

This is a worthless guarantee. Out of Juneau it is 100% sightings for humpbacks over many years. There is no mistaking a "sighting", which includes a blow, back, tail.

We will be in Juneau on June 1 with HAL aboard the Zaandam and are trying to decide on a whale watching excursion. Is there a better time of day (morning, afternoon or evening) to see more whale activity? Thanks.

We booked a private whale watching tour thru Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska.(www.harvandmarvs.com) They were highly recommended on cruisecritic. We will be going at 3:00 and returning at 7:00. Our ship doesn't get in until 2:00. Only 6 people in boat instead of a large crowd. We will be there in June also.

Whales are mammals so they have to breath morning, afternoon, and night. They have enough there that they "gurantee" it so probably have a good probability I think :D

We will be in Juneau on June 1 with HAL aboard the Zaandam and are trying to decide on a whale watching excursion. Is there a better time of day (morning, afternoon or evening) to see more whale activity? Thanks.

We went with ORCA last year and they were great. Lucked out and got Capt. Larry. Quite a character and knows his stuff. We saw orcas, humpbacks, seal, sea lions, otters, eagles, and a bear. Had a humpback come up just a few feet from the boat(really took everyone by surprise because we had not seen anything to know he was anywhere close) and it was so big that the tour guide made the statement 'if you look on the side of him, you will see Universal Studios'. It was a wonderful tour and we will go with them again if we ever get back to Alaska.

Harv and Marv are also a good tour. We went with them two years ago. My only problem was the size of the boat, but that doesn't bother most people or the whales.:)

Why did the size of the boat bother you? Was it so small you felt uncomfortable?

Yes. The boat holds six passengers + the captain. It is very small and a fairly bumpy ride if the water is choppy, as it was the day we were there. We took turns going to the front of the boat. Jay was very nice, as were the crew on the other whale watches. The boat captains work together and when one spots a whale the others come to the same site.

Personally, I really liked the size of the boat that was used for the photo safari tour. That boat held about 14 people but was easy to move around to get better pictures.

The boat they used for the evening whale watch was much larger, and there was no crowd in the evening so that was nice, too.

We'll book with Ocra just because we don't feel comfortable with a small ship, like H&M's.

We'd like to ask you guys if time is enough for us to have Whale watching, helicopter and Mendenhall Glacier in one day from 9:00am to 6:00pm? Our ship won't leave untill 9:00pm.

Thanks for sharing any information.

We'll book with Ocra just because we don't feel comfortable with a small ship, like H&M's.

We'd like to ask you guys if time is enough for us to have Whale watching, helicopter and Mendenhall Glacier in one day from 9:00am to 6:00pm? Our ship won't leave untill 9:00pm.

Thanks for sharing any information.

Yes, certainly, you have enough time for your tour list.

We will be spending two full days, one in Glacier Bay and one in College Fjord, on the ship viewing glaciers. One of the options for whale watching excursions in Juneau is to combine whale watching with the Mendenhall glacier. Is the Mendenhall glacier a "must see" or will we have enough glacier viewing, and the same quality, in Glacier Bay and College Fjord?

We will be spending two full days, one in Glacier Bay and one in College Fjord, on the ship viewing glaciers. One of the options for whale watching excursions in Juneau is to combine whale watching with the Mendenhall glacier. Is the Mendenhall glacier a "must see" or will we have enough glacier viewing, and the same quality, in Glacier Bay and College Fjord?

Oh, yes, this is really a good question. We also prefer to get an answer here.

We are still wondering if it's necessary to have the Prince William Sound cruise in Whittier when we disembark from the ship. We are not sure if it's worth to have this one because we think we see a lot of glacier during the week. And really want to what we will expect for anything special to Prince William Sound.

We are still wondering if it's necessary to have the Prince William Sound cruise in Whittier when we disembark from the ship. We are not sure if it's worth to have this one because we think we see a lot of glacier during the week. And really want to what we will expect for anything special to Prince William Sound.

Oh Goodness YES! You get so much closer to the glaciers on this tour. It is absolutely worth your time. We've done both the four hour and six hour tours. One of the best tours you'll have all week.

We went whale watching last summer and were told that the time of day really doesn't matter. They could be just as active in the afternoon as in the middle of the night. We had a FANTASTIC show! The whales were jumping out of the water left and right! They are there feeding 24 hours a day until going to warmer water. All of the whale watching companies guarantee sightings (the naturalist said they've never had to refund a single person!)

We did a great Whale Watch with Liquid Alaska Tours. We also booked our helicopter flight with them online. Both were Fantastic! I've also heard good things about Harv and Marv whale watching.

Do they have their own boats? About how many people do they take on the whale watching? From posts read on CC, I don't think I would like the smaller boats of Harv & Marv. I was thinking Orca or Scania, now I will add this to my research, too.

thanks

Oh Goodness YES! You get so much closer to the glaciers on this tour. It is absolutely worth your time. We've done both the four hour and six hour tours. One of the best tours you'll have all week.

Feel So excited to your reply. Sounds like we are almost there.:p

I checked the schedule and since out flight is at the same evening when we disembark, so we can only take their 6 hours and take the bus back, the 4 hours tour starts later than the 6 hours.

I want to know how close we are to the glacier? can we really touch one piece of them? and for this tour, what we'll expect to do and see? what is the highlight of this tour?

Thanks in advance for any input.:)

Do they have their own boats? About how many people do they take on the whale watching? From posts read on CC, I don't think I would like the smaller boats of Harv & Marv. I was thinking Orca or Scania, now I will add this to my research, too.

thanks

LOL, after the season starts, folks will be coming back here, and arm-wrestling over which is better, H&M or Orca.

I just booked Orca in May mainly because of boat size. I don't think that I would be comfortable in such a small boat for such a long time.

Also, although Orca's trip is about a half hour shorter it is about $20 cheaper and I think that 2 1/2 hours in the water is enough

their service gave us Dolphin Whale Watching tickets. I asked and their boats are medium to large jet-boats (18 to 40 passengers).

Thanks for the response-that seems like a good size boat, without being too crowded. I like the idea of an independent vs. the larger cruise excursion boats.

Feel So excited to your reply. Sounds like we are almost there.:p

I checked the schedule and since out flight is at the same evening when we disembark, so we can only take their 6 hours and take the bus back, the 4 hours tour starts later than the 6 hours.

I want to know how close we are to the glacier? can we really touch one piece of them? and for this tour, what we'll expect to do and see? what is the highlight of this tour?

Thanks in advance for any input.:)

There is NO comparism to seeing glaciers from your cruiseship and on a boat tour. Go to the vendor web sites and take a look a further descriptions and photos. YOU are the one who needs to figure out what you want to do with this day??? You can tour Anchorage, get a car rental etc.

Depending on your flight time you need a 2 hour window at Anchorage airport, with an additional 1 1/4 transit- plus tunnel waits.

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked Orca.....reason being Harv amnd Marv...advertises if you have a problem walking 300 ft. or doing stairs don't book with us........... I will have my 82 year old Mom with me..She ususally doesn't have a problem but you never know....Orca said.....depending on the tide there might be a steep ramp on the dock. If Mom feels umcomfortable doing the walk we have a wheelchair in our van that we can use to get her down to the boat. Now wasn't that nice.

Archived