Need a little help deciding

chadci

I'm torn between 3 itineraries. There is some difference in price but that would be made up with travel expenses so that becomes a non issue.

Option 1: 7 night from Baltimore to Bermuda. This is the most expensive BUT it's the closest and cheapest port for us to get to. If we do this cruise we'll be heading in early for a side trip to DC for Cherry Blossom Festival and so my wife, who has never visited DC, can get a taste. We both really want to visit Bermuda.

Option 2: 8 Night from Fort Lauderdale. Visiting the Panama Canal has always been on my wish list. It has plenty of "Fun days at sea" to just kick back and relax PLUS it'll be much warmer down there than Baltimore / Bermuda so we would be able to enjoy the pools etc. much more.

Option 3: 7 Night from Miami. This one stops at Half Moon Cay and San Juan as well as two other ports. San Juan has been another one of my deam destinations and my wife and I both really want to visit Half Moon Cay.

At the moment, Bermuda is winning by a hair as it is so close to home ( realtivly speeking) and we would have a LOT more time to see the island... but I can't stop thinking about finally getting to see the Canal or wandering around San Juan. HELP!

I've only visited San Juan. So I'm not really able to judge. I will say that SJ is a common port for Caribbean cruises and will be a common offer "next time".

I would def. go with Panama Canal if the price is less than Bermuda. I have looked into PC cruises in the past and usually they are very expensive. Bermuda cruises on the other hand are commonly offered as "last minute deals" and are very inexpensive.

I've only visited San Juan. So I'm not really able to judge. I will say that SJ is a common port for Caribbean cruises and will be a common offer "next time".

I would def. go with Panama Canal if the price is less than Bermuda. I have looked into PC cruises in the past and usually they are very expensive. Bermuda cruises on the other hand are commonly offered as "last minute deals" and are very inexpensive.

It ports in Panama and visiting the Canal is one of the excursions. The downside to that cruise is that it's 8 night and while that sounds really good... it makes it that much harder to get child care.

If it were me, Id do the one closest to home. Im only now venturing further for deals, and for a change of pace because Iv done both Ecstasy and Conquest 4 or 5 times each.

Save the other choices for when you are tired of going from the closest port.

Excellent points.

The thing about going to FL to cruise is that it allows my wife to see friends / family and to visit her grandparent's grave. She grew up and spent 20+ years there. She's OK with not going this time around as long as we can go later in the year... which I might just be OK with :cool:

I would do Bermuda. That side trip to DC beforehand was the deciding factor for me. :)

Yeah, thanks to Bus Man in the East Coast Departures forum, we have the day pretty well planned out. We would take a train from BWI to Union Station in DC. Less than 30 minute ride... and would sure beat the snot out of trying to drive AND probably cheaper than parking would be.

I'm torn between 3 itineraries. There is some difference in price but that would be made up with travel expenses so that becomes a non issue.

Option 1: 7 night from Baltimore to Bermuda. This is the most expensive BUT it's the closest and cheapest port for us to get to. If we do this cruise we'll be heading in early for a side trip to DC for Cherry Blossom Festival and so my wife, who has never visited DC, can get a taste. We both really want to visit Bermuda.

Option 2: 8 Night from Fort Lauderdale. Visiting the Panama Canal has always been on my wish list. It has plenty of "Fun days at sea" to just kick back and relax PLUS it'll be much warmer down there than Baltimore / Bermuda so we would be able to enjoy the pools etc. much more.

Option 3: 7 Night from Miami. This one stops at Half Moon Cay and San Juan as well as two other ports. San Juan has been another one of my deam destinations and my wife and I both really want to visit Half Moon Cay.

At the moment, Bermuda is winning by a hair as it is so close to home ( realtivly speeking) and we would have a LOT more time to see the island... but I can't stop thinking about finally getting to see the Canal or wandering around San Juan. HELP!

Option #1 first then #2 . As far as # 3 goes HMC and San Juan are not all that.

When are you traveling to Bermuda? You have to take the weather into consideration, especially if you are doing water activities. Bermuda was our first cruise and we LOVED it! We traveled near the end of May, and the water was a bit chilly but nothing unbearable.

We can't wait to go back - but only on a 7-night cruise so we can explore the island more. When we were there, they had a festival on Wednesday evenings (I believe) called Harbour Nights. It was alot of fun. We visited the Swizzle Inn, and a few other must do stops on the island. It's really beautiful there.

I would pick Bermuda, depending on the time of year. I would only go during the summer months. It would be too cold for the April or October sailings for me. I like that you get to have overnights, and get to explore the island a bit more.

I have not cruised yet, but, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents!

I LOVE DC! We did the Cherry Blossom Festival 2 years ago and we were there the day of the parade. It was awesome! The only draw back was that it was soooooo packed!!!!!! All the folks who were in the parade really gridlocked the city for the whole weekend. We puchased tickets to do the monuments on one of the trolley tours and it ended up we could walk faster than the trolley could travel. I'm not sure how much time you were planning to spend in DC, but, I would check to see if the parade is happening while you are there.

I want to do the Panama Canal too!!!!!! I'm hoping we love our first cruise so we can continue with it and visit the PC someday in the future.

Let us know what you decide.

Enjoy!

Bummer, I think DC is out. The only day we could go is the day of the Cherry Blossom Parade. If we had more time it would be different but everything will be blocked off ( by people and road blocks I would assume).

If we choose Bermuda, perhaps we can spend our "extra" day in Annapolis or something. I don't know the area all that well so we're open to options.

For me, it would depend on the airfare prices. If they were expensive, then cruising closer to home would make even more sense. Note my signature line. Do you really think I love cruising to Mexico for Mexico ;)?

That being said, personally, I would love to visit Half Moon Cay.:)

I'd go for the longer cruise, personally. I did the Eastern Liberty, which sounds a lot like the last option, with San Juan and HMC. It also included St. Thomas and Grand Turk. It was a great itinerary and HMC lives up to the hype for sure.

Yeah, I would like that one a lot and those are all the same stops. I don't know much about St. Thomas or Grand Turk and HMC looks like a dream. It should be a good bit warmer there. I found that San Juan runs around 80 that time of year and Bermuda 65.

I'll be doing to booking so maybe Bermuda will be "sold out" when I book.

Yeah, thanks to Bus Man in the East Coast Departures forum, we have the day pretty well planned out. We would take a train from BWI to Union Station in DC. Less than 30 minute ride... and would sure beat the snot out of trying to drive AND probably cheaper than parking would be.

Would be cheaper than parking.... but you would have to FIND PARKING:eek:.

I take the metro anytime I am going to DC because its an absolute zoo driving/ parking.

Let me preface my opinion by saying I have not been on two of your three itineraries, but...

I love DC, and the Cherry Blossom Festival is great, but Bermuda will be very chilly in April (the time of the Cherry Blossom season, for those of you who may be less familiar). We have looked at this cruise option recently for Spring Break (late April). The water temp is too low for the beach, and the air would be too cool for the pools to be comfortable.

My mom recently did the Panama Canal cruise. She said while the canal portion of the cruise is "neat", the other ports on the cruise were a disappointment. I know some other people who loved the PC, and didn't mind the ports.

We have been to San Juan and Half Moon Cay, and likely the other two stops on this one. San Juan is a wonderful, historic, clean city with a lot to see. Half Moon Cay was a great private island. If your wife is a beach kind of girl, and you definitely want to do a cruise in April, I say go with the one with San Juan. You won't be disappointed, and you will come back warm. If you are going to do 2 cruises this year anyway, plan Bermuda for a time when the weather is warmer.

Another option, go to the Cherry Blossom Festival anyway since it is so close. There are several airport options in the DC area that will take you Florida for departure. You can cruise many months of the year in the Caribbean, far fewer with Bermuda.

What are the other ports for #2? Panama Canal is neat to see once (I've done it 3 times but with different people so I have to keep going back) but I can't remember the other ports for that choice. I personally like Ft Lauderdale and always go a few days early to enjoy the area. I really love 8 day cruises, partly because of the extra sea days so it truly is more relaxing, too many ports can wear a person out if you plan on seeing every port in some fashion (tours, beach time etc)

Haven't been to HMC but it does sound wonderful for the sun lovers.

San Juan - not my cup of tea at all but I know others that love it.

Washington in April - pack warmly, I thought I would freeze one year when visiting there at that time of year.

The only thing that is important...have a great time wherever you choose to go!!!!

Let me preface my opinion by saying I have not been on two of your three itineraries, but...

I love DC, and the Cherry Blossom Festival is great, but Bermuda will be very chilly in April (the time of the Cherry Blossom season, for those of you who may be less familiar). We have looked at this cruise option recently for Spring Break (late April). The water temp is too low for the beach, and the air would be too cool for the pools to be comfortable.

My mom recently did the Panama Canal cruise. She said while the canal portion of the cruise is "neat", the other ports on the cruise were a disappointment. I know some other people who loved the PC, and didn't mind the ports.

We have been to San Juan and Half Moon Cay, and likely the other two stops on this one. San Juan is a wonderful, historic, clean city with a lot to see. Half Moon Cay was a great private island. If your wife is a beach kind of girl, and you definitely want to do a cruise in April, I say go with the one with San Juan. You won't be disappointed, and you will come back warm. If you are going to do 2 cruises this year anyway, plan Bermuda for a time when the weather is warmer.

Another option, go to the Cherry Blossom Festival anyway since it is so close. There are several airport options in the DC area that will take you Florida for departure. You can cruise many months of the year in the Caribbean, far fewer with Bermuda.

I agree with this poster. I'd want to sail to San Juan and the other ports. I love warm weather and wouldn't go to Bermuda if the weather is 65. Yikes, way too cold for me. I have no desire to go through the Panama Canal, but that's just me. I want to lie on the beach and feel the warm sun on my body. :D

What are the other ports for #2? Panama Canal is neat to see once (I've done it 3 times but with different people so I have to keep going back) but I can't remember the other ports for that choice. I personally like Ft Lauderdale and always go a few days early to enjoy the area. I really love 8 day cruises, partly because of the extra sea days so it truly is more relaxing, too many ports can wear a person out if you plan on seeing every port in some fashion (tours, beach time etc)

Haven't been to HMC but it does sound wonderful for the sun lovers.

San Juan - not my cup of tea at all but I know others that love it.

Washington in April - pack warmly, I thought I would freeze one year when visiting there at that time of year.

The only thing that is important...have a great time wherever you choose to go!!!!

Sorry, the other 2 ports are St. Thomas and Grand Turk. I know VERY little about them.

Had a long talk ( and by long it was at least 5 minutes... I am a man) with my wife about this last night and explained how we could hit cold weather and didn't want to come home disappointed. We're looking hard at option 2.

If you're talking about the April 17 sailing to Bermuda, be aware that it is Spring Break for a lot of East Coast schools so there will be lots of kids onboard.

I'd go for the Panama Canal cruise. There's lots of itineraries to San Juan and such that you could save for another trip!

I think given the time of year, the Panama canal would get my vote.

I really think there would be less spring breakers that would choose this itinerary, the weather should be wonderful, and you do get to visit some beautiful islands for that sun and sand. The canal is a wonderful experience to do at least once. Bermuda will be chilly, so if you want it warm, go another time.

The other thing I consider is sea days, I love my sea days. Cruises with 4 ports in 7 days do not appeal to me.

I agree with the poster about spring break. You probably wouldn't have that many spring breakers on a cruise that does the Panama Canal.

Good luck deciding.

Archived