car rental shuttle/drop off at Fort Lauderdale

rambler-dhaka

I will be joining a Princess Cruise soon and will be arriving in Fort Lauderdale by rental car. Do any of the car rental companies offer a shuttle or drop off to the cruise terminal after the rental return?

If you're renting a car from any of the car rental companies at the Ft. Lauderdale airport you can get on the free shuttle to and from Port Everglades

http://www.broward.org/AIRPORT/TRANSPORTATION/Pages/RentalCars.aspx

If you're renting a car from any of the car rental companies at the Ft. Lauderdale airport you can get on the free shuttle to and from Port Everglades

http://www.broward.org/AIRPORT/TRANSPORTATION/Pages/RentalCars.aspx

I beleive that info is out of date. The shuttle bus at the airport has "National/Alamo" on the sign, and I have read other reports on here from people returning cars to FLL airport with other companies and not having access to the shuttle. Hertz, Thrifty, Enterprise and Budget all have locations near the port with either free or cheap shuttles (and if the wait is too long, cab fare from here is pretty cheap).

I beleive that info is out of date. The shuttle bus at the airport has "National/Alamo" on the sign, and I have read other reports on here from people returning cars to FLL airport with other companies and not having access to the shuttle. Hertz, Thrifty, Enterprise and Budget all have locations near the port with either free or cheap shuttles (and if the wait is too long, cab fare from here is pretty cheap).

As we will be renting a car in May prior to our cruise, I checked the FLL site regarding the on-site Rental Car Center. We have rented cars there numerous times and have never had a problem with the shuttle. The shuttle bus services the Rental Car Center for all of the companies located there including Hertz, Avis, Alamo, & National. Some folks may have rented vehicles from off-site locations either unintentionally or to avoid the airport-related taxes.

We rented at FLL both before and after our November 2010 cruise. On the ride to the airport the bus was marked Hertz/National/Alamo, when we returned, it was marked National/Alamo ONLY.

We had rented from Alamo, so no problem. No one was asking where you rented from either. But our ship was the only one in port--so the bus driver may not have cared. If there are lots of ship in board, the driver may ask for your reservation information.

If you're renting a car from any of the car rental companies at the Ft. Lauderdale airport you can get on the free shuttle to and from Port Everglades...

Sorry, not true. As stated above, and we also speak from experience, Budget does not participate in the free shuttle. We returned to the airport and had to take a cab (no biggie, less than $20.00).

OP there are some offices with offsite locations near the pier; you can do your research on these boards (there are literally dozens of car rental threads here) or contact the major companies to see which ones offer rides.

As we will be renting a car in May prior to our cruise, I checked the FLL site regarding the on-site Rental Car Center. We have rented cars there numerous times and have never had a problem with the shuttle. The shuttle bus services the Rental Car Center for all of the companies located there including Hertz, Avis, Alamo, & National. Some folks may have rented vehicles from off-site locations either unintentionally or to avoid the airport-related taxes.

Info I have seen recently contradicts this, but whatever. I rent from Alamo anyway. The driver of the shuttle did ask to see our paperwork for either National or Alamo. The FLL website hasn't been updated in years it looks like to me, so I wouldn't go by what it says there. I would call the specific agency you want to rent from to clarify.

Info I have seen recently contradicts this, but whatever. I rent from Alamo anyway. The driver of the shuttle did ask to see our paperwork for either National or Alamo. The FLL website hasn't been updated in years it looks like to me, so I wouldn't go by what it says there. I would call the specific agency you want to rent from to clarify.

Driver was asking to see paperwork in January when we were there and several people were not allowed on shuttle. Alamo or National only.

Rented Christmas 2010 . Dropped off a Hertz car at FLL and was given a $20 credit on rental to pay for cab to port. On return used National and was told by driver that only National and Alamo customers have the bus to the airport.

Driver was asking to see paperwork in January when we were there and several people were not allowed on shuttle.

Good, glad to hear it. Many people on this board have "boasted" about getting on the free shuttle bus when they certainly weren't entitled to it. Wrecks it for the honest folks, I hafta say.

This is the information I received in an E-mail directly from the FLL airport:

Currently only National and Alamo offer their customers complimentary shuttle service to Port Everglades. If you are not renting a car from those companies, there are three other transportation options available.

1. Shared Ride - Shared "van" rides offered through GO Airport Shuttle cost $11 per person to Port Everglades. A van will hold a maximum of ten passengers.

2. Luxury Sedan - GO Airport Shuttle offers exclusive car rides to Port Everglades for $40 (for up to four people). For more information, visit GO Airport Shuttle or call 800-244-8252/ 954-561-8888.

3. Taxi Cab - Taxi cabs are available at $12 (estimated) based on the meter reading. Cabs accept up to five people for the fare stated on the taxi’s meter. Some taxi cabs accept credit cards. If you prefer to pay for a taxi cab with a credit card, make sure you tell this to the dispatcher at the transportation podium. They will request a cab that is equipped with a credit card acceptance machine. For more information, call Yellow Cab at 954-777-7777.

Thank you for contacting FLL.

I can answer this one since I just made a reservation for April with Budget.

If you rent from FLL then you can drop off at the QUAY center at the the port and THEY will shuttle you free of charge to the port. You can also catch the QUAY center free shuttle from the cruiseport over to the QUAY center and then return your rental at the airport the day of your flight. Budget does NOT have their own shuttle service from/to the airport to/from the cruiseport. ONLY the QUAY center offers this (17th street causeway). You will save also on the airport taxes. This seems to be the case just with Budget for some reason.

Honestly, call the Budget reserv. desk and talk to a real person when making reservations instead of online which I found confusing. Hope this helps.

We are coming from the UK and renting a car after the cruise. I assumed the shuttle I had heard about was for all rental companies. I have booked with thrifty (as i understood there were close by) any idea how we get from FLL Emerald princess to thrifty? I then assumed my husband could drive back to the ship to collect us, will this work?

flew into FLL May 2010 & rented car from thifty thought i would have to return car to airport. but was told they have a drop off at the port.

so we dropped car off at special area at entrance to port then took shuttle to ship. will be doing the same for april 2011 cruise.

other car rental companies also do the same not sure which ones.

Thrifty has a location just outside the state road 84 entrance to the port, which is quite close to where Princess usually docks. I would just keep their number handy and call them as you clear customs after leaving the ship. They will probably direct you to a specific area outside the terminal to wait for the shuttle, which probably will be making it's rounds of the various terminals. Alternatively, you can just take a cab over, which will likely be $10 or less. It might just be easier for you all to go in the shuttle to get the car instead of the husband having the clear security again to come back in, and find you amongst all the traffic.

Thanks for al the good info everyone!

If I get this right, HERTZ no longer participates in the free shuttle and if I am getting off the Oasis, the best bet would be to take a cab (around $20) to FLL, then on to HERTZ for the rental??

Is there consensus??

Thanks everyone, first time sailing out of Port Everglades.

Thanks for al the good info everyone!

If I get this right, HERTZ no longer participates in the free shuttle and if I am getting off the Oasis, the best bet would be to take a cab (around $20) to FLL, then on to HERTZ for the rental??

Is there consensus??

Thanks everyone, first time sailing out of Port Everglades.

You could. Hertz is also at the Crowne Plaza on State Rd 84, just west of the Port Everglades gate. It would be a cheaper cab ride there if they don't offer free shuttle. They won't have the selection the airport has though. I would call them at 954-761-1163.

You could. Hertz is also at the Crowne Plaza on State Rd 84, just west of the Port Everglades gate. It would be a cheaper cab ride there if they don't offer free shuttle. They won't have the selection the airport has though. I would call them at 954-761-1163.

Thanks a bunch Dan, we will cal to work out the details. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all and thanks for all the useful information. We are thinking of renting an Alamo/National car from FLL the day before our Princess cruise leaves. It has been suggested on these boards that we drive our (well, actually DW's :D) heavy luggage to Port Everglades the next morning, leave it with the porters, and then drive the car back to FLL and take the shuttle back to the port with our carry ons.

My question is, as a rental car driver, where exactly do I drive in Port Everglades to get to the Coral Princess. (I know the port is a big place). Will the agent you show your passport to upon entering know (or care?)

The last time we were there we were in a cab, so didn't pay any attention!

Thanks!:)

Hello all and thanks for all the useful information. We are thinking of renting an Alamo/National car from FLL the day before our Princess cruise leaves. It has been suggested on these boards that we drive our (well, actually DW's :D) heavy luggage to Port Everglades the next morning, leave it with the porters, and then drive the car back to FLL and take the shuttle back to the port with our carry ons.

My question is, as a rental car driver, where exactly do I drive in Port Everglades to get to the Coral Princess. (I know the port is a big place). Will the agent you show your passport to upon entering know (or care?)

Unless you have other things you want to do after dropping off the luggage, why not just take the shuttle with your luggage from the airport. The shuttle drops you off right in front of the baggage handlers so you aren't hauling your luggage around the port.

There will be signs as you enter the port directing you to each ship. The port is very east to navigate around, and where your hotel is will likely decide which gate you should enter at. Princess has it's main terminal at pier 2, at the north end of the port just inside the 17th St port entrance. This is near the Renaissance, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn, Hyatt Place North and the beach hotels. Depending on the port schedule, the Coral Princess might also be at a mid port terminal. If you let us know your hotel, and perhaps your cruise date as well, we can give you more refined directions.

We will be coming from Hyatt Summerfield Suites off Stirling rd) and were planning on using Eller Drive entrance to port (thanks Dan!).

My question is: should we just use 95 to 595 or go the "back' way--Taylor to 17th (or 7th--i forget), then to eller. seems the back way is shorter?

thanks

ML

Archived