Disembarkation in Barcelona

waggie

Can anyone explain what happens on disembarkation day - we have booked a fly-cruise, so Celebrity will transfer us to Barcelona airport. Today we received our confirmation which shows a flight back to London at 19.20 - what happens to us and our luggage? Do they take us to the airport in the morning? OR, do they 'offer' an excursion which finishes at the airport?. Barcelona is not a city I would wish to wander all day with suitcases in mid-summer!

I would be grateful for any ideas:confused:

Hi,

If you don't opt for a ship's tour and assuming you have the airport transfer included in your booking, I'm afraid you will be taken direct to the airport AM. Our return flight was 2.15 pm and its a long time to wait as we were dropped off at approx 9.30 a.m. so 19.20 would not be something I would look forward to!!! I am unaware if there is a left luggage facility in the centre of Barcelona, but it might be an alternative and you could then have a look around 'suitcase free' until you made your own way to the airport at around 16.00 hours. I am sure someone will be along later with more or better info. I do know there were lots of people complaining about the length of wait in the airport on disembarkation day.

Hi

I love Celebrity but feel this is the only area they are a let down. We were taken to the airport in the morning for an afternoon flight. We were up at 6am and arrived home at 6pm in the evening, spent 5 hrs in the airport. For our upcoming cruise from Miami. We have been told we will be taken to the airport early am for our 5.30pm flight unless we choose to pay to do the one excursion on offer at a cost of £40pp, and even then we will still be at airport 4 hrs before flight.

There are left-luggage facilities at Barcelona Airport so you could go on the X bus transfer in the morning, leave your luggage and get back into Barcelona on the Airport Shuttle bus which runs very frequently and takes about 20mins. Here's a link to the information (scroll down the page to read about the A1 and A2 services). http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/transport/barcelona-airport-aerobus.html

If you stay on until the end at Placa Catalunya, you would then be able to get a one day ticket for the Hop-on, Hop-off busses (about £17). You could stay on the bus for a 2 hour tour then hop-on,hop-off for a longer look at anywhere that takes your fancy, until time to get back to the airport on the A1 or A2 Airport shuttle. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-tour.html

Have a lovely time

Lynne :)

Thank you yoj13,Fiona and Lynne for your replies.

The left luggage option is probably the best for us, but, having been fortunate to visit Barcelona several times, I would prefer to be heading home rather than passing time for the sake of! Anyone thinking of using the hop-on-hop-off bus - it is a terrific way of seeing the city.

I understand that transatlantic flights may not be too easy to offer, but BA offer 6+ flights to London per day - without adding the Iberia ones! Why Celebrity don't opt for these - I suspect cost has something to do with it.

Moaning over - this WILL not spoil our cruise.

Great news! A request to the travel agent and ...Celebrity have changed us to a morning flight home. If only they had asked us before booking, but then I wouldn't have had great advice from other cruisers! Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
How long does it take to clear the ship , I assume you go through customs?

Disembarkation in Barcelona is quite easy compare to some ports. It's usually well organized and it really depends upon how many ships are in port. I like Barcelona better than Fort Lauderdale.

Great news that you got on the earlier flight - when I book fly cruise, I always have a look at the flights I would like to get and ring celebrity and discuss with them - or via my travel agent.

they won't book you on a flight, they don't plan to get you to the airport for but it often means you can get a better flight home and I have never paid more for it - so in summary - my advice, always ring and state your preference

Last Novenber we debarked Constellation at Barcelona.

We waited in the Theatre for our luggage label colour to be called then walked off the ship to claim our luggage and then found the airport transfer bus waiting outside the terminal building.

It was the smoothess debark' we've ever had. We arrived for our afternoon flight some two hours early but the time soon passed.

Compared with debarking at Ft Lauderdale for our Miami flight, Barcelona is miles better

Archived