Towel hogs

DrSch

When I get a chair by the pool, I lie out, go in the pool and then, when it's lunch time, I take my stuff and surrender the chair to other people. I find a different chair if I go back to the pool after lunch.

In an ideal world this would happen. Have you thought that a few selfish people have created the chair hog situation. They know it aint going to happen so once they get hold of a chair they cling on from 8am until sunset! If everyone only used them on a rotating basis ie. when they go off to other activities they surrender the chair it would work out fine....seems a bit too much to ask of most people.

Sorry.. I completely disagree with you. You sat at the pool and enjoyed the area. You are now getting up and going to a different part of the ship.. the dining area. What if everyone went to the dining room, and put towels on the chair there, because they were going to eat lunch later that day.

Going to the dining room, even at lunch, will probably take 50-60 minutes to eat- BIG DIFFERENCE.

The chairs by the pool aren't for your exclusitivity (word??).. If you are at the pool area, then you deserve to enjoy them. But if you go somewhere else on the ship, well.. you had your fun in the sun.. now it's someone else's turn. Just because you got there in the morning, doesn't mean the chair is yours all day..

When I get a chair by the pool, I lie out, go in the pool and then, when it's lunch time, I take my stuff and surrender the chair to other people. I find a different chair if I go back to the pool after lunch.

We've tried that and let me tell you it doesn't work.

From what it sounds like you don't seem to be the person that leaves his towel on the chair at 6 am, and then shows up to the pool at 11, and I thank you for that.

I don't see how going 150 feet to the buffet constitutes a different area. It's probably closer than the bathrooms or ice cream dispenser. :D

It seems as though people view where they go with a different perspective. If I lose my seat then so be it but it hasn't happened yet.

If it makes you feel any better, we'll grab our food & eat at our seats from now on keeping it under the limit.

It's only slightly over the posted limit which isn't all that much. If it's a busy day my wife & I will take turns to guard the seat but it's not really necessary since no one ever needs only one seat.

Give up the seat for the difference of only 10 minutes means not getting one later. It's not like showing up at 6 AM then going to breakfast & returning at 8 AM for your reserved seat.

Ah, I get it. So staying 10 minutes (aka 50%) over the limit is OK because you do it, but 100 minutes isn't OK because you don't? So where do we actually draw the "slightly" line? 15 minutes? 20? 40? an hour? And hey, can't we also rationalize that most people don't actually sit by the pool until after 8, so hogging a seat till then should be A-OK? (Oh, and by the way, I - and I bet a number of other people here - often hang out by the pool by ourselves.)

I agree with what's been said: if you leave the pool area for more than the posted limits, you should lose your dibs on a seat. Or at least you should not, like a previous poster, complain when you return to "your" seat and discover that someone has done what they have every right to do: take their fair turn.

I don't see how going 150 feet to the buffet constitutes a different area. It's probably closer than the bathrooms or ice cream dispenser. :D

It seems as though people view where they go with a different perspective. If I lose my seat then so be it but it hasn't happened yet.

If it makes you feel any better, we'll grab our food & eat at our seats from now on keeping it under the limit.

I can't tell you how to spend your time on the cruise.. and like I said you don't sound like your the ones that are really at the heart of this matter, but rather reacting to them.

OK, my last post sounded a bit harsh. Sorry.

Especially because I just checked my Patters, and though we've all been assuming there's a 20-minute rule, the Sapphire's Patter says, "In the mutual interest of other passengers, the reservation of deck chairs and sun loungers is not permitted. Please do not reserve chairs by placing books, towels, and other items on them. Any items left unattended for a period of 30 minutes or more may be removed."

So it seems that ANY saving of chairs is theoretically verboten, but if it DOES take place, there's a strict 30-minute limit. Clear? I do apologize to those whom I criticized for breaking the 20-minute rule, which apparently doesn't exist on Princess.

Originally Posted by 1 HappyCruiser

It's only slightly over the posted limit which isn't all that much. If it's a busy day my wife & I will take turns to guard the seat but it's not really necessary since no one ever needs only one seat.[/color]

Give up the seat for the difference of only 10 minutes means not getting one later. Even with the new tagging system I read about, it would probably be ten minutes before they even put the tag one it so what does it hurt- nothing, because I'd be back before the time was up. It's not like showing up at 6 AM then going to breakfast & returning at 8 AM for your reserved seat.

I would have to disagree with you 1HappyCruiser, there are plenty of people that cruise solo that will need only one chair.

I think we are all in agreement..

The only reason that you should be leaving your towel and things on a chair, is when you are doing something in the area around the chair... getting a drink at the bar, using the restroom, grabbing a slice of pizza or other food in the pool area, going for a swim, or a hot tub (unless you plan on sitting in the pool / hottub for 2 hours), or if you need to run back to your cabin because you forgot something.

But if you are going to another part of the ship... the spa, the dining room, the piazza, gym,... give up the chair and get a new one one you get back.

Well, I'm certainly in agreement with this.

I would have to disagree with you 1HappyCruiser, there are plenty of people that cruise solo that will need only one chair.

Well then there should be a single seat that's unused somewhere other than one next to my wife.

Goodness. Somewhere a mother is cringing. Surely you wait a full hour after swallowing that last bite, don't you?!? :p

That rule has been changed. It turned out to be on old wives tale. I knew my mom was wrong all those years. :p

Since my DW isn't into laying in the sun, I only look/need a single chair. I've been fairly lucky to find them in a timely fashion.

With a risk of being flamed, if I can't find a chair after 15 min, I will take one that is "reserved." I will ask if anyone has seen anybody recently before doing so. If the individual returns soon, I will be polite, but direct, and ask how long it's been. If it's been too long, I will apologize but will indicate that they left the seat.

I doubt if anyone would make a scene. Why is it ok to "claim" a place yet not okay to take it when rules are broken? I suspect this might sound aggressive or rude to some, but aren't those that save a seat for hours being rude?

Flame away.

Since my DW isn't into laying in the sun, I only look/need a single chair. I've been fairly lucky to find them in a timely fashion.

With a risk of being flamed, if I can't find a chair after 15 min, I will take one that is "reserved." I will ask if anyone has seen anybody recently before doing so. If the individual returns soon, I will be polite, but direct, and ask how long it's been. If it's been too long, I will apologize but will indicate that they left the seat.

I doubt if anyone would make a scene. Why is it ok to "claim" a place yet not okay to take it when rules are broken? I suspect this might sound aggressive or rude to some, but aren't those that save a seat for hours being rude?

Flame away.

I certainly wouldn't flame you. If you ask the people in that area and they haven't seen the person who had "reserved" the chair, then it could be likely that person hasn't been there in a long time. And if there's a group of chairs that have books, towels, that kind of thing, on them, but no living bodies...and the intended occupants aren't obviously in the pool, then you might as well claim one of them for your use. Usually if someone is making a pit stop, he or she can go by oneself and let a friend or family member stay behind.

As bad as the situation is with chair hogs (and it is very bad!) I would hate to think everyone is sitting around watching everyone else, being timed when going for a swim or even worse being interrogated when I returned from the bathroom. Sounds like something out of the old Soviet Union:rolleyes:

Flame away.

Right there with you.....:):):)

Bob

Maybe Princess should designate certain chairs for people at a price for the day,like the Sanctuary or dining room,anytime,traditional,time,etc.or based on when u pick your room,u pick your chair location at the same time on the princess website.That could work,you'd have your chair for the cruise and Princess could generate more income.:D

As bad as the situation is with chair hogs (and it is very bad!) I would hate to think everyone is sitting around watching everyone else, being timed when going for a swim or even worse being interrogated when I returned from the bathroom. Sounds like something out of the old Soviet Union:rolleyes:

They are not. They would simply like to enjoy a chair by the pool.

Bob

I guess it's like real estate, Location, location, location. There are always plenty of chairs a little farther away. I would rather wak a few steps to the pool and then retreat to a quieter neighborhood in the "suburbs" to rest.

This problem (towel & chair hogs) has existed on all ships that I have been on and no one has found a solution for it yet!

The only solution I've found is to somewhat join them in hogging the chairs (within reason). I hate to keep a seat for a prolonged time but if it's slightly above what I consider a reasonable time they leave you no choice. When the day comes that people are more considerate I'll willing go along & follow the time limits to the letter.

This isn't something I except to see anytime soon.

Slaughter the HOGS!!

I watch the chairs, also.

When I see a chair empty for 30 min or so, I walk over and ask the neighbors if anyone has been there.

I feel no remorse when I place the hog's articles on the deck and assume the position...

Dealing with towel hogs should not be the responsibility of the paying passenger. It is an inherent problem with mega sized cruise ships which results in a free-for-all. And, that's why we have decided to sail on smaller more passenger friendly ships.

Back in the middle ages, when I was not middle aged, I enjoyed getting up early and strolling around the ship. I would note that certain chairs always had books, towels etc. on them to save them. Knowing that these were chair hogs I took great delight in moving their things to less desirable locations so that the good chairs would be available to legitimate users later. My only regret was that I was never around to witness the reactions of the chair hogs when they finally arrived.

Watergal, I couldn't agree with you more. There should be enough chairs, reasonably spaced, to go round everyone who has paid to be on the cruise or in the hotel or whatever. These chair hoggery problems wouldn't arise if people could relax in the knowledge that there will be a chair available when and if they wish to use it. Granted, not everyone can sit by the pool, but that doesn't worry me.

I can understand to a point that the chair hogger feels that having got up early and bagged a chair, then it is his and he ain't giving it up. It's the primitive hunter gatherer thing.

I think, instead of venting our wrath on our fellow passengers, we should be complaining to the cruiseline and insisting on better chair facilities and/or fewer passengers.

OK, Princess here's the solution-

When in doubt use a universal basic human motivation to solve the problem-good old capitalistic material gain.

-Re designate the duties of deck personnel to not only include chair hog patrol, but elevate it in their job descriptions as top priority.

-I assume these personnel are near the bottom of the crew status, and wages, so incentivise them re chair hog enforcement.

-On their own, or if requested by a passenger they are authorized to place a tag, with time noted, and their names on any unoccupied,but evidently "saved", chair.

-After 30 minutes,they are authorized to remove items, take to a central collection location, and will recieve 1 "credit".

-Each credit earned adds $5.00 to their voyage pay. The bonus comes out of the pooled portion of the daily passenger charge.

-Make these personnel part of, and accountable, to the security department. This will help ensure if they are confronted and need support from superiors they will feel comfortable requesting backup and it is more likely to be forthcoming.

Much like waiters who earn minimal wages, but get the majority of their pay from the 15% sevice charge, I am positive you would find these staff members would do an first class job in enforcing an already existing Princess policy, and be greatly appreciated by the 90%+ of passengers who believe in following rules that are meant to apply to everyone.

As for chair hogs, my guess is they are the same ones who are likely constantly at the Pursers desk pi**ing an moaning about anything and everything anyway, so no real additional problem.Besides which who gives a rat's ass about them anyway.

You're welcome.

Archived