Fuel Surcharge

SailBabySail

I haven't seen a thread on this and was just wondering if anyone who has sailed really recently gotten the fuel surcharge added to your total cruise bill. With the price on a barrel of oil now at $90 I think the cruise lines will add a surcharge if a barrel goes over $70....Am I wrong on this and can anyone offer some insight?

I haven't seen a thread on this and was just wondering if anyone who has sailed really recently gotten the fuel surcharge added to your total cruise bill. With the price on a barrel of oil now at $90 I think the cruise lines will add a surcharge if a barrel goes over $70....Am I wrong on this and can anyone offer some insight?

Believe me if there was a surcharge you'd find plenty of threads.

Isn't $90 above $70?

Bill

Believe me if there was a surcharge you'd find plenty of threads.

Isn't $90 above $70?

Bill

Sorry if I was confusing. I will rephrase and say that I believe the cruise lines will add the surcharge if the price of a barrel exceeds $70 and the oil has now reached $90 which, of course, is $20 over their original dollar figure.

Sorry if I was confusing. I will rephrase and say that I believe the cruise lines will add the surcharge if the price of a barrel exceeds $70 and the oil has now reached $90 which, of course, is $20 over their original dollar figure.

No cruiseline wants to be the first and with airfares rising, they are doing everything they can to not add the surcharge.

If one line adds the surcharge look for the others to join the party.

Bill

We just finished our NCL Jewel cruise this past Sunday and there're NO surcharges added to our final bill. :D

The wording on the surcharges is something to the effect that NCL has the discretion to impose it .... if and when .... and, so on - up to a ceiling figure.

The lines down at the Reception were fairly long starting 2 evenings before disembarkation morning, most likely questioning about other sur/charges - however ....

Just stay chill - no reason to trigger the alarm button or yell fire - as others said. :p

Happy Cruising ;)

No...it's not "will add the surcharge", it's "reserves the right to add the surcharge". None of the mass market cruise lines have opted to do this to date. By the way, NCL uses a threshold of $65, not $70 per barrel.

No...it's not "will add the surcharge", it's "reserves the right to add the surcharge". None of the mass market cruise lines have opted to do this to date. By the way, NCL uses a threshold of $65, not $70 per barrel.

Unless I'm mistaken, P&O is a mass-market cruise line and they are imposing fuel surcharges (along with Cunard, Fred Olsen, Swan Hellenic & Voyages of Discovery).

Through observance, check out past "port charges & Gov't fees & taxes" compared to present. You'll notice the increase. Just my opinion but it may be a "back door" approach, rather than going through the fiasco they endured a few years back.

Unless I'm mistaken, P&O is a mass-market cruise line and they are imposing fuel surcharges (along with Cunard, Fred Olsen, Swan Hellenic & Voyages of Discovery).

Through observance, check out past "port charges & Gov't fees & taxes" compared to present. You'll notice the increase. Just my opinion but it may be a "back door" approach, rather than going through the fiasco they endured a few years back.

Yep, we all know the governments would never raise taxes or fees;).

The fuel surcharge language is there to protect against sudden, unexpected spikes in the cost of fuel. I'm sure NCL and other lines contract out months in advance for their fuel and normal fluctuations can be dealt with in that process.

THey have started outside mainstream US market lines.

P&O are raising theirs from £4 to £6 per day.

Interesting note on FO site to do with the EU market and fuel charges.

The current policies on retrospective charges may break EU regulations FO seem to think so.

http://www.fredolsencruises.co.uk/News/2011/Fuel-cost-update

To date, forward 'fuel supplements' have been added to new bookings on a flat daily rate basis. However, the need also to levy a 'fuel surcharge' on existing bookings has necessitated a re-think on this policy.

The EU Package Travel Directive requires any surcharge to be related pro-rata as a percentage of the fare paid -- thus it would be impractical to maintain two different sets of charges for past and new bookings.

Currently a fuel surcharge on a cheap cabin could exceed the maximum permited extras(10%) and allow fully refundble cancellations in the EU, on an expensive cabin has to be more than 2% before it can be charged.

Excuse my imprecision. I neglected to include the words "US-based" in the sentence. I note that none of the lines you mentioned are named Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, or Holland America. :rolleyes:

I am glad you asked the question. I have been wondering myself with a cruise just around the corner......I can only imagine it is just a matter of time before it happens. :(

No, I don't have a reason. Was just curious if anyone who recently cruised had this added. Just wondering, that's all. I didn't mean to start anything and I will leave the room now.

I think NCL would need to post that a fuel surcharge was going into effect, and would post dates it would start. I don't think they would just add it to your OBA in the middle of a cruise. Yes the price of oil has been over $80 a barrel for awhile now and $100 has been here for 1 day, wait and see if it stays at that price and get ready for the surcharge, if it starts to drop back down to $80 again there should not be any changes. I'm not sure of this but back when they had the fuel surcharge, I had booked a cruise before it went into effect and they did not add it to the cruise, I also had a cruise that had it added to the price of the cruise and was taken off the the cost when oil went back down. Just wait and see.

Archived