Dining room question

cadu43

If you decide you dont like traditional, you can request to change to anytime...someone at our table decided that, but they waited until after the first night and it was too late, it was filled.

You cant switch back and forth, no, if thats the question. There are only so many tables allocated to anytime in the same dining room as traditional.

It is a hard decision to make because there are good and bad opoints to both. The good news is youget to eat with both!!!!!

Just not on the same cruise. One or the other.

Yep! But I think silkhair1 meant that you still get to eat, no matter which one option you choose. ;)

Anytime dining is truly stress free. We'll never go back to assigned dining. If I was new to cruising I'd try both dining styles on my next 2 cruises and then be able to make my own decision on which I prefered. We've had nightmarish table mates at assigned dining in the past so we like the fact that we can dine as a couple or family and enjoy the time flexibility of anytime dining. Some people have found best friends through assigned dining so it's really a personal choice.

Dining is more flexible than you think. Just back from the Legend this month and we had early seating (our usual). Our friends had late seating (their usual). We wanted to have dinner together one night so we went to the lady in charge of the dining room a couple of nights before and requested a table for 6 at 7PM (right in between the two seatings). They easily arranged for us to eat together that night at that time . . . and when we showed up we were seated right away. Don't ever be afraid to ask! On other cruises we have done anytime dining so that we could reserve the same table every night with the same serving team at a time that would be a compromise for all the couples traveling together. They are more than happy to do this too if you request it the first day when you board.

Anytime dining is truly stress free. We'll never go back to assigned dining. If I was new to cruising I'd try both dining styles on my next 2 cruises and then be able to make my own decision on which I prefered. We've had nightmarish table mates at assigned dining in the past so we like the fact that we can dine as a couple or family and enjoy the time flexibility of anytime dining. Some people have found best friends through assigned dining so it's really a personal choice.

I know what you mean about the nightmarish table mates. Try enjoying your dinner, when you are eating with slobs that have more food flying out of their mouth than going in!

However I still like assigned dining, mainly because I travel with a large group, and it makes it easier for us to already have a time set up to go to dinner. Plus, I like having the same waiter every evening!

Is it true that if you have assigned seating in dining room, you can't switch to the anytime dining room if desired?

You can't switch back and forth.... If you want to change for the week, see the Maitre'd when you first board.

ATD is usually filled well before sailing. There is limited seating in one section of the dining room for this selection and it fills quickly.

As G'ma stated...anytime dining usually fills up fast.We were not able to get confirmed for it on our last 2 cruises. You have to request it at the time of your booking..If open they will confirm you at that time..If it is full they will waitlist you incase a slot opens up...

We have confirmed anytime this year..probably due to my new platinum status.....We really prefer the anytime dining since we don't have to share a table with strangers and have the flexible dining times.

Good Luck!

Do you know if the Liberty offers ATD?

I believe it is now offerred on all ships in the fleet........

We do YTD and love it. So far we haven't had any waits for a table for 2 and have almost always sat at the same table or at least in the same section so we've had the same wait staff.....

I just did Traditional, and the lady/couple I sat next to, we hit it off so well, we decided to arrange another cruise together.

Princess sticks you with anytime if you book late, they are the opposite of Carnival and over allocate anytime. One of their flaws to me, as I prefer traditional and meeting people.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I have missed it, have done a search and found this thread. We have selected our dining time, is it possible to select which dinning room? We will be on the Splendor in June and are in a forward cabin and therefore would prefer the Black Pearl dining room just because of convenience. How does the dining room selection work?

RedRover96

what is the pros and cons of anytime dining ..we are booked on carnival freedom in april we took the late dining but now iam wondering if we should do anytime dining<<<<there are 7 of us together 4 adults and 3 children ty for the help

Do they check your S&S card for ATD? We always book early traditional seating. Let's say we are at a port late and we don't get back to the ship in time for our seating. Can we go to the anytime dining room and be seated or do we have to go to the buffet for dinner?

have always done pre-set dining times on past cruises. Can't wait to try ATD on our next cruise in June. I think I will love the flexibility of dining when I want vs. having to rush back from being in port to eat dinner. The only thing I might miss is getting to know our waiters but we can get over that quickly. Also we do enjoy meeting others at meal time and with ATD I think we will have a table to ourselves = just our family. We will ask if there have larger tables each night to see if anyone else want to eat with us but if not no worries....

Dining is more flexible than you think. Just back from the Legend this month and we had early seating (our usual). Our friends had late seating (their usual). We wanted to have dinner together one night so we went to the lady in charge of the dining room a couple of nights before and requested a table for 6 at 7PM (right in between the two seatings). They easily arranged for us to eat together that night at that time . . . and when we showed up we were seated right away. Don't ever be afraid to ask! On other cruises we have done anytime dining so that we could reserve the same table every night with the same serving team at a time that would be a compromise for all the couples traveling together. They are more than happy to do this too if you request it the first day when you board.

I think that this is the big reason why many people are left waiting for tables. Hostess that allows people that have traditional dining being allowed to dine at anytime-- therefore taking up double seats then what is really necessary.

I think that anytime dining should not be allowed to make standing reservations for the week either.

We started doing YTD when that became available and we really like it. We never no for sure what time we want to eat, don't want to stop in the middle of something if we are busy and especially don't want to hurry back from port to get to dinner. For us we eat alot at the buffet at night (just enjoy it):eek: and therefore they are not holding a table for us when we may not show up:) YTD has always been the upstairs of the dining room. Downstairs is for early or late.

We have done YTD or a couple of cruise lines and have always done well.

As for coming back from a port late, I would just talk to the Hostess during your seating and see what she can do for you.They might be able to get you in the later seating. For ATD the 1st couple of nights they asked us our name and cabin number and check you out and then they get to know the faces. You can't go back and forth from assigned to ATD.

I believe the pros are you can eat when you feel like it, no plans have to be changed and you have no nightmarish tablemates.The key is flexibility.

The cons could be that you are a couple and want to meet people,you might have to wait, you might not get to see the dining entertainment or some people say that the service isn't as good because the waiters don't know you as well. Our beverage server was the same no matter where we sat so we always had our drinks and if we liked our servers the 1st night we always asked to be put in that section if possible. We usually eat between 6:30-7:00 and only once on Carnival (3 x YTD) were we given buzzer/blinker to let us know our table was ready, we waited 10 minutes in the bar.

It is really a matter of preference. We do assigned dining if we have a group of 8 or more, this way no discussing what time dinner is, we all know!!

I guess my question wasn't specific, we have selected early seating on the Splendor. However or cabin is forward and just for convenience figured the amidships dining room Black Pearl made more since vs. the aft dining room the Golden Pearl. With that being said my TA called CCL and they said that you cannot select a dining room however get up with the Maitre D' & should not be a problem arranging. I guess one reason is I am not a big gambler, I have a 50-50 chance on the correct dining room and I know my luck we will be assigned the dining room I don’t want :)

RedRover96

I guess my question wasn't specific, we have selected early seating on the Splendor. However or cabin is forward and just for convenience figured the amidships dining room Black Pearl made more since vs. the aft dining room the Golden Pearl. With that being said my TA called CCL and they said that you cannot select a dining room however get up with the Maitre D' & should not be a problem arranging. I guess one reason is I am not a big gambler, I have a 50-50 chance on the correct dining room and I know my luck we will be assigned the dining room I don’t want :)

RedRover96

Because your cabin is forward-- I think the chances of yousitting in the midship dining room will be where you go.\

Dining room is where I head after we eat lunch. I want to check out the dining room and my table and hope its not in an undesirable location. This way I can make changes I am not happy

Archived