Just off Oasis - My Review Allure vs. Oasis

Trekker954

Rather than a typical reivew of the Oasis, since I've sailed on the Allure, I've decided to give more of a vs. review.

Allure (Dec 2010 Inaugural) Oasis (Feb 19,2011)

Cruise Director – Hands down Richard Spacey on the Oasis (He is unbelievable) I’ve always said how can a cruise director make or break your cruise vacation. This guy is a show unto himself. He is almost too talented to be “just” a cruise director. I hope he makes some big bucks. Even if you didn’t catch any of his antics before/after shows, he basically had his own show on the stateroom TV.

Blue Planet vs Come fly with Me. Blue Planet blows it out of the water. Come Fly With Me was better than your typical RCCL shows, but it wasn’t nearly as good as Blue Planet.

Hairspray vs Chicago – We enjoyed Hairspray more, but I think that is just preference, both shows were equally entertaining with good actors/singers, etc. Hairspray is just more upbeat.

Ice Show – Oasis wins here again. Frozen in Time was top rate, I didn’t find Ice games that engaging. I’m not sure if they always have the sand artist as part of the Frozen in Time act, but she was so unique. I never saw anything like it and we all enjoyed it so much.

Comedy: This is another one of those categories I’m sure changes, but we enjoyed the comics on the Oasis so much more. I’m sure the comics rotate.

Oceanaria vs. Oasis of Dreams Diving Show: Allure gets this one. The divers and the athletes in the Oceanaria were far more outstanding. However, the Oasis had a show called Splish Splash that we enjoyed so much. It was sort of a comedy diving show. Loved it.

Headliner – On the Allure we had Tribute to the Temptations who we previously saw on the Grandeur. They are pretty good, very entertaining. They also had other skits during the Allure show. While on the Oasis we had to endure Abbacadaba (two Eastern European females singers, two male musicans attempting to be the group Abba with the songs we all know from Mamma Mia). As soon as there was a change in position, a good number of us walked out. It was horrible. I can’t believe RCCL thinks they are good enough to play on any ship.

The Ships – Allure wins. From just the newness and cleanliness of her. The Ipod dock, clock and electric outlets were so missed by us on the Oasis. The hot tubs on the Oasis had chucks of tile out of them, they almost looked dirty but it was just . Not that RCI wasn’t trying. I’ve never seen so much polishing and cleaning as I did on the Oasis. The layout is the same on both.

Boardwalk balcony vs Central park balcony. While the Allure CP Balcony was very nice, peaceful and quiet, on the Oasis we had a Boardwalk Balcony (3 back from the end – nearer the water). Most people find the boardwalk too noisy. Yes, it was a tad noisy, but not so much after 11). We loved sitting out there watching the water, the zipliners, the sports court, we even watch a couple of shows (a second time). We couldn’t get a seat in the aqua theater for the Belly Flop, so we were able to enjoy it from our balcony, maybe moreso. We’ve decided we would do it again, but Not any further back than say five rooms.

Diamond Lounge – While we enjoyed the nightly Diamond Lounge every night, it is sad that its held in Blaze. I would have enjoyed if we had windows and been able to see the water. Blaze is very dark.

Sailing in December vs. Presidents Week Never again will we sail Presidents week, spring break etc. What is wrong with parents and their lack of supervisiion and when did kids lose all manners. We viturally had no children on the Allure, not that annoyed us so. This Oasis week was the week from hell with the kids. I didn't get a count but it was high. We also had along of non US residents, but I must say it was the American teenagers that were running amuck. For example, we were waiting a long time for an elevate and as one opened, there had to be six teenagers sprawled out on the elevator floor and my daughter went to push the button for our desired floor and every frigin button was pushed. The woman standing crunched in the corner said they pushed them all. Well she may have been scared, but I called them out on it and asked them why. First they said, What and my daughte repated my question, why did you push all the button and one said, I dunno know, we just did. My daughter had some words for them. Other examples, were pushing on/off elevators, jumping lines for food or bathroom or ice cream. Going to the donut shop, I was behind three boys (about 12 yo each). Each one got four donuts each. Seriously??? Their behavior in the Windjammer was equally bad. They were moving in packs and I'm sure if their parents were aware of where they were and their behavior may have been mortified. Anway, never again. We must sail in Alaska in July, but I am hopeful since Alaska is so expensive, that won't attract too many teenagers.

Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it.

One follow up question: Which ship had Blue Planet and which had Come fly with Me?

Blue Planet is on the Allure of the Seas

Come Fly With Me is on the Oasis of the Seas

I don't know Blue Planet but Come Fly With Me was AMAZING! The athelets, the lights, the singers, the scenery, everything was outstanding!

I see someone answered Blue Planet was on the Allure. IMHO, Blue Planet was Cirque de Solis caliber, while Come Fly With Me was really good RCCL Singers and Dancers with some aerialists throw in.

Here is a description of Blue Planet.

The show opens with an ethereal scene, and performers in blue and gold costumes walk on stage from behind and in front of the audience. The first number is “Because,” off the Beatles’ “Abbey Road” album, and the second is “Across the Universe,” sung by John Lennon on the “Let it Be” album.

Featuring multiple Beatles songs makes sense because cruise entertainment is increasingly like Las Vegas at sea, and the “Beatles Love” Cirque du Soleil show has been a big event at the Mirage in Las Vegas.

In the opening number, most of the 25 cast members tumbled and danced across the stage, while others descended from the ceiling. The set will have lush foliage.

Another scene will have a Tree of Life, with performers costumed in outfits with bark-like colors and greenery, so the tree will seem to erupt into action.

That tree of life was jaw dropping IMHO> :D

... a good number of us walked out. It was horrible. I can’t believe RCCL thinks they are good enough to play on any ship.

Well you know what Simon Cowell (ex-American Idol judge) says about that: "You're someone we would find singing at a wedding or in a hotel lounge, or on a cruise ship." :D

We just got off Oasis also....fantastic!

Dont agree with you on the Ice Show it was boring!!

Right Blaze was dark and smelled of smoke.went there just 2 times for last minute free wine to carry to dinner.. however, the Concierge lounge was great! spent most nights there before dinner!

WAy too may KIds!!!!!

The hot tubs that are the "wings" just before entering the solarium are so totally chipped with big chunks out of the inside surface as well as small chips at the bottom so I initially thought it was dirt or God forbid poop, but it was just chipped. It didn't take away from the enjoyment and it wasn't leaking. I do know the Oasis is under repair this week, hopefully that will be on its to do list. They were constantly cleaning and painting it.

1,000 teenagers, OMG. Even well behaved teenagers at that number is a bit much cruising. I'd have to say 70% of them from what I saw, had zero supervision, no manners, and no rules and no curfews. I did sit behind three boys in Johnny Rockets that I did comment to my family how nice they were as when they finished paying their bill, said thank you to the waitress and also said to her to have a nice day. So I'm not totally anti-kids. ;) I just believe parents have no idea what their kids are like when they are in packs. Parents just need to talk to them about elevators manner, waiting their turn, staying away from events and areas that are deemed adults only and how to respect their elders. Its not that hard.

I'm all into trying different ships now, so its doubtful I'll be on either of them again anytime soon. I also love cococay which neither goes to, although we really did enjoy labadee last week which is similar. I guess if someone offered me a choice, I'd say the Allure.

We aren't eligible for the conceige club, so Blaze had to do it for us measly Diamonds. We found them very strict about not bringing any alcohol out of Blaze at all. We also had issues with the way they handled the C&A trivia there. We tied for first place. So they went ahead and announced second place; did a tie breaker for third, gave them a gift, finally announced the tie breaker for first (we lost that), but that was it. So the loser for the first place tie breaker gets nothing. Charmane stated that we don't default to second place. HUH???? I'd hate for her to be a judge in the olympics.

So really, the sand artist during Frozen in Time wasn't impressive to you? The costumes of the ice skaters I thought were top rate. Loved the Hans Christian Anderson theme stories.

Rather than a typical reivew of the Oasis, since I've sailed on the Allure, I've decided to give more of a vs. review.

Cruise Director – Hands down Richard Spacey on the Oasis (He is unbelievable) I’ve always said how can a cruise director make or break your cruise vacation. This guy is a show unto himself. He is almost too talented to be “just” a cruise director. I hope he makes some big bucks. Even if you didn’t catch any of his antics before/after shows, he basically had his own show on the stateroom TV.

Blue Planet vs Come fly with Me. Blue Planet blows it out of the water. Come Fly With Me was better than your typical RCCL shows, but it wasn’t nearly as good as Blue Planet.

Hairspray vs Chicago – We enjoyed Hairspray more, but I think that is just preference, both shows were equally entertaining with good actors/singers, etc. Hairspray is just more upbeat.

Ice Show – Oasis wins here again. Frozen in Time was top rate, I didn’t find Ice games that engaging. I’m not sure if they always have the sand artist as part of the Frozen in Time act, but she was so unique. I never saw anything like it and we all enjoyed it so much.

Comedy: This is another one of those categories I’m sure changes, but we enjoyed the comics on the Oasis so much more. I’m sure the comics rotate.

Oceanaria vs. Oasis of Dreams Diving Show: Allure gets this one. The divers and the athletes in the Oceanaria were far more outstanding. However, the Oasis had a show called Splish Splash that we enjoyed so much. It was sort of a comedy diving show. Loved it.

Headliner – On the Allure we had Tribute to the Temptations who we previously saw on the Grandeur. They are pretty good, very entertaining. They also had other skits during the Allure show. While on the Oasis we had to endure Abbacadaba (two Eastern European females singers, two male musicans attempting to be the group Abba with the songs we all know from Mamma Mia). As soon as there was a change in position, a good number of us walked out. It was horrible. I can’t believe RCCL thinks they are good enough to play on any ship.

The Ships – Allure wins. From just the newness and cleanliness of her. The Ipod dock, clock and electric outlets were so missed by us on the Oasis. The hot tubs on the Oasis had chucks of tile out of them, they almost looked dirty but it was just . Not that RCI wasn’t trying. I’ve never seen so much polishing and cleaning as I did on the Oasis. The layout is the same on both.

Boardwalk balcony vs Central park balcony. While the Allure CP Balcony was very nice, peaceful and quiet, on the Oasis we had a Boardwalk Balcony (3 back from the end – nearer the water). Most people find the boardwalk too noisy. Yes, it was a tad noisy, but not so much after 11). We loved sitting out there watching the water, the zipliners, the sports court, we even watch a couple of shows (a second time). We couldn’t get a seat in the aqua theater for the Belly Flop, so we were able to enjoy it from our balcony, maybe moreso. We’ve decided we would do it again, but Not any further back than say five rooms.

Diamond Lounge – While we enjoyed the nightly Diamond Lounge every night, it is sad that its held in Blaze. I would have enjoyed if we had windows and been able to see the water. Blaze is very dark.

Sailing in December vs. Presidents Week Never again will we sail Presidents week, spring break etc. What is wrong with parents and their lack of supervisiion and when did kids lose all manners. We viturally had no children on the Allure, not that annoyed us so. This Oasis week was the week from hell with the kids. I didn't get a count but it was high. We also had along of non US residents, but I must say it was the American teenagers that were running amuck. For example, we were waiting a long time for an elevate and as one opened, there had to be six teenagers sprawled out on the elevator floor and my daughter went to push the button for our desired floor and every frigin button was pushed. The woman standing crunched in the corner said they pushed them all. Well she may have been scared, but I called them out on it and asked them why. First they said, What and my daughte repated my question, why did you push all the button and one said, I dunno know, we just did. My daughter had some words for them. Other examples, were pushing on/off elevators, jumping lines for food or bathroom or ice cream. Going to the donut shop, I was behind three boys (about 12 yo each). Each one got four donuts each. Seriously??? Their behavior in the Windjammer was equally bad. They were moving in packs and I'm sure if their parents were aware of where they were and their behavior may have been mortified. Anway, never again. We must sail in Alaska in July, but I am hopeful since Alaska is so expensive, that won't attract too many teenagers.

The divers in Oceanaria probably are a HECK of a lot better than whats on Oasis currently since the High Divers and a few others were from the original cast of Oasis of Dreams! :D

Great comparison. We were on Oasis last October and are doing the Allure this December. Had a CP balcony on the Oasis and are really looking forward to our BW on the Allune(for exactly the reasons you said you loved it)

We are also looking forward to the hot dog stand rather than donuts and to trying the Mxican restaurant on BW.

We really enjoyed the sand artist on the Oasis

This was a great help.

oasis she still looks brand new?

we were 14321. (there is no deck 13) If we ever sail allure/oasis again, we will definetly do the BW balcony. After studying this a bit all week, our preference would be deck 11 (or deck 12 if we couldn't get 11). we would not go further back than say stateroom 317 (or the opposite side equivalent). If you go further back from the aqua theater more than 5 rooms, it will be too far back to enjoy the water view and/or aqua theater and screen. On our side, and I think its on both sides and 12, 11 and 10, is at the end of the hall is a door that leads to a public balcony (I think set up for smokers), but not too many know it exists. its like having an aft balcony to yourself. its too far down the hall for most to want to walk to. there were lounges, seats (and ash trays), we never ran into smokers there (the guy a couple down from us was smoking on his balcony which is a no no.

BW deck 14 is right below the sport court. So pick the right side. There were 1000 teenagers on my cruise and the sport court literally was very active from early morning to late night.

davila - I answered you on your oasis thread

can you be more specific with what you were saying about the hot tubs on the oasis? they look worn out? tile missing? what? i'm going on the oasis on 3-12-11 and was hoping it still all looked brand new.

I would hope it was something replaced quickly. To the OP, what do you have to say about Allure's CD? I know Spacey is entertaining, I had him on Freedom once. I might amend your statement, a CD can make a cruise, but unless he was bad, I don't think he could break it. I've only ever seen a CD act snotty once and that was the guy who was the CD on Voyager in '06, and I don't even remember his name.

But back to the OP, thanks for posting an interesting thread.

we were 14321. (there is no deck 13) If we ever sail allure/oasis again, we will definetly do the BW balcony. After studying this a bit all week, our preference would be deck 11 (or deck 12 if we couldn't get 11). we would not go further back than say stateroom 317 (or the opposite side equivalent). If you go further back from the aqua theater more than 5 rooms, it will be too far back to enjoy the water view and/or aqua theater and screen. On our side, and I think its on both sides and 12, 11 and 10, is at the end of the hall is a door that leads to a public balcony (I think set up for smokers), but not too many know it exists. its like having an aft balcony to yourself. its too far down the hall for most to want to walk to. there were lounges, seats (and ash trays), we never ran into smokers there (the guy a couple down from us was smoking on his balcony which is a no no.

BW deck 14 is right below the sport court. So pick the right side. There were 1000 teenagers on my cruise and the sport court literally was very active from early morning to late night.

All in all, were you happy with your cruise & particularly the cabin? We are in the exact same cabin in 13 days...I've been waiting for your return to see what you thought....I'm still debating changing cabins but not unless you say it is really unpleasant......was the veiw obstructed? Was the noise from the sports court excessive? We're pretty tolerant, but hey, it is a decent amount of money & don't want to be miserable...

Thank you i switch my cruise to the allure got the same cabin 6606 midship

WOW...I'm wondering if I made a "mistake". I booked my FIRST Royal cruise (I cruised carnival before)...on the Oasis.

We're going for Thanksgiving with my 15 year old. I chose the Oasis because they come back on a Saturday rather than a Sunday (it's soooo hard to go back to work after a cruise...even harder if you have to go back the next day). Should I consider switching?

I have a teen and I've pretty well accepted the fact that if you travel during "holidays" or "summer" you're going to have to suffer with multitudes of kids. On Carnival we've only noticed certian "pods" of kids (I call them "pods" because they group together) be particulary "obnoxious" (rude, pushing elevator buttons, standing on furniture etc). The others aren't so bad. Unfortunately the "bad ones" stand out the others you don't even notice. It's easy to remember the 5 bad ones you encounter over the 995 good ones.

We really loved our cabin and there wasn't an obstructed view at all, like we expected after reading the threads. Do not change your cabin at all or ship. Sail them both!!!!!:D Because the shows are different. I think if you were on the end closer to the theater it may be obstructed a bit. But decks 11 and/or 12 would be a little better. I think decks 9 and 10 would be too low for noise when sitting outside and possibly johnny rocket smells; but i think BW is awesome. I know some others really think its noisy and hate it. And while the staterooms are suppose to be soundproof, not all the noise could be muted, especially the large screen TVs. My daughter and I are early to bed, early to rise, but it still didn't interfere with our sleep. We really enjoyed watching the zipliners take off, so very very funny. You will have a very clear view of that if in 14321. We even enjoyed watching the fathers and sons play basketball, although sometimes I don't know how so many people fit on the court, it was C R A Z Y crowded there.

To the question about the Allure CD, I'm trying to think now 'cause we crusied so much in Nov and Dec. We were on the Dec. 1 sailing and I think we had Ken Rush (not impressed- hardly ever saw him). On the Oasis the Assistant CD was that short guy Mitch (also not that impressive, but nice). We had him as CD on the Navigator. I think thats right, its hard to remember unless they really stand out. Spacey just seemed to be everywhere. God Bless him as he definetly worked hard and non stop.

We had one arrogant snooty CD on the Grandeur. Thought he was a great singer. I can't recall his name either right now. His wife was a former RCI dancer and was now his assistant. They just made me want to vomit, they were so impressed with themselves. Actually he did a good job with the headliner show, so he almost won me over, but if I never cruise with him again, its just fine.

Oh, and Langley, As far as simon cowell. Adam Lambert did a year on a cruise ship and IMHO, he should have won over Chris Allen. But I do know what you mean.

Archived