Weird Website Occurrence

discjoker

Went to the Celebrity website this morning and on the top it said "Welcome back, Lois ". My name is not Lois nor do I know Lois nor has Lois used this computer (no one else has actually).

Just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them. No big deal but just curious...trying to figure out how the heck this possibly could have happened. And the bigger question would be, I guess, is the security on the Celebrity website as good as it should be?

Went to the Celebrity website this morning and on the top it said "Welcome back, Lois .....". My name is not Lois nor do I know Lois nor has Lois used this computer (no one else has actually).

Just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar happen to them. No big deal but just curious...trying to figure out how the heck this possibly could have happened. And the bigger question would be, I guess, is the security on the Celebrity website as good as it should be?

omg:eek:.....we were connected on the website at the same time.....:confused:

and I guess the security is...what security?:rolleyes:

To the OP...I am going to triangle a moderator and have my last name deleted from your post....

Its too late for you to edit it out now........

Way to go Celebrity....NOT.

omg:eek:.....we were connected on the website at the same time.....:confused:

and I guess the security is...what security?:rolleyes:

To the OP...I am going to triangle a moderator and have my last name deleted from your post....

Its too late for you to edit it out now........

Way to go Celebrity....NOT.

How weird and how scary all at the same time. I am still trying to figure out how this happened. Technically I mean. I would assume that the Celebrity site uses unique cookies in order to identify you. How a random name just popped up is really scary.

I didn't try to access the "My Celebrity" for Lois...I clicked the "Not Lois R....?" button and logged in as myself.

How weird and how scary all at the same time. I am still trying to figure out how this happened. Technically I mean. I would assume that the Celebrity site uses unique cookies in order to identify you. How a random name just popped up is really scary.

I didn't try to access the "My Celebrity" for Lois...I clicked the "Not Lois R....?" button and logged in as myself.

Who knows?:eek::confused::rolleyes:....am not blaming you ....hoping the mods

got my email......truthfully, I wish you had not copied my last name

onto here though. Oh well.......

I could call Celebrity too but I am thinking they will not connect me

to the IT department:(

.truthfully, I wish you had not copied my last name

onto here though.

Sorry about that. Since it is obvious that you made an effort to keep your real last name off of CC, it didn't occur to me that you and the Lois I referenced were the same person (and I am new to the Celebrity board as I am sailing on my first Celebrity cruise in a couple months so I am not familiar with the "regulars" around here...was not aware of you). Also, I was thinking, "what are the odds" that the person who came up is also on CC.

The bottom line is there is no way this should have happened. There is obviously a flaw in the security on the Celebrity site. Yikes :eek:

Sorry about that. Since it is obvious that you made an effort to keep your real last name off of CC, it didn't occur to me that you and the Lois I referenced were the same person (and I am new to the Celebrity board as I am sailing on my first Celebrity cruise in a couple months so I am not familiar with the "regulars" around here...was not aware of you). Also, I was thinking, "what are the odds" that the person who came up is also on CC.

The bottom line is there is no way this should have happened. There is obviously a flaw in the security on the Celebrity site. Yikes :eek:

I agree and will call Celebrity tomorrow. Not that it will do any good

because even when they had site problems before they never allow the

passenger to talk with the folks in the IT department.:rolleyes:

If you and Lois both happened to have one window open for CC and one for X, that might provide a clue for the IT guys that might eventually look at this. I'd then suggest that both you and Lois might want to communicate this to Celebrity.

Hi Steve, I doubt they will be interested in the Cruise Critic site but

then again, what do I know?:eek: And I honestly don't remember if

both windows on my end were open. I was on the Celebrity site but

can't recall if this site was up at the time:rolleyes:

The issue giving rise to this thread appears to be an anomaly involving the celebritycruises.com board. But the issue has been referred to the Cruise Critic IT support staff for evaluation as well.

If anyone else has experienced anything similar to this please notify community@cruisecritic.com with details.

Thanks.

The issue giving rise to this thread appears to be an anomaly involving the celebritycruises.com board. But the issue has been referred to the Cruise Critic IT support staff for evaluation as well.

If anyone else has experienced anything similar to this please notify community@cruisecritic.com with details.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

The circumstances that can cause this to occur is if someone is logged on to My Celebrity, then posts a link on the CC board to any part of the Celebrity site while the My Celebrity account is still open.

Solution: Always log off your "My Celebrity" account before posting any links of any kind to CC from the Celebrity site.

Thanks, Walt, and to the CC and/or X IT folks for identifying the problem. I assume this to mean that, as long as we're posting a link to celebritycruises but don't have a separate window open at the time we're posting on cruisecritic, we're okay?

I would look at this as a short-term solution. I'd think that we should be able to have whatever windows we want to have open without having to worry about inadvertently giving someone else access to our Celebrity account. This would seem to be a weak link in X's website security, but not being a techie, I don't know if this is something that's avoidable. Whose responsibility would it be to fix this bug? Is it X's problem, or is CC somehow doing something wrong?

I gasped when I saw the last name posted, too..., but I knew our great hosts would be on top of that very soon, as well.

Thanks, Walt!!

CM

Hi Cal, You gasped? How do you think I felt?:eek:...I was going to call

Celebrity today but got so busy at work I never had time.:rolleyes:

Thank you Walt, I do appreciate the help:)

Thanks, Walt, and to the CC and/or X IT folks for identifying the problem. I assume this to mean that, as long as we're posting a link to celebritycruises but don't have a separate window open at the time we're posting on cruisecritic, we're okay?

I would look at this as a short-term solution. I'd think that we should be able to have whatever windows we want to have open without having to worry about inadvertently giving someone else access to our Celebrity account. This would seem to be a weak link in X's website security, but not being a techie, I don't know if this is something that's avoidable. Whose responsibility would it be to fix this bug? Is it X's problem, or is CC somehow doing something wrong?

Hi Steve, I agree with you...should be able to have whatever windows

open without worrying about having someone else's name showing

up on your own computer:eek:

Sounds crazy doesn't it. Then you start thinking about going to banking areas and stuff like that with lots of sites open. Heck, my daughter seems to keep many many sites open and just clicks on them. I'm going to really watch it.

Hope there is no damage or issues for you Lois. Always worries you went unwanted info is made public.

Den

Sounds crazy doesn't it. Then you start thinking about going to banking areas and stuff like that with lots of sites open. Heck, my daughter seems to keep many many sites open and just clicks on them. I'm going to really watch it.

Hope there is no damage or issues for you Lois. Always worries you went unwanted info is made public.

Den

Hi Denny, thanks. I hope the same thing. Weird thing is when I went to

the X website to find the "Casual Dining Venue" to copy and paste on here I don't

remember that I was logged in.:rolleyes:...I thought I was just on the website

but I do keep it on one of my favorite keys so maybe I am always

on there whenever I click on that key:confused:...did that make sense?

I thought I was just on the Celebrity website without being

"logged into it"......guess not:(

Hi Denny, thanks. I hope the same thing. Weird thing is when I went to

the X website to find the "Casual Dining Venue" to copy and paste on here I don't

remember that I was logged in.:rolleyes:...I thought I was just on the website

but I do keep it on one of my favorite keys so maybe I am always

on there whenever I click on that key:confused:...did that make sense?

I thought I was just on the Celebrity website without being

"logged into it"......guess not:(

It is weird. I have 'My Celebrity' as a Favorite and when I select it, I go to the login site with my username and password. But I still have to login hitting the button below all that. I've just tried it different ways of what I saved in Favorites but always had to login. You'd think you'd know you actively logged in and since you were just after info and probably just used the Search tool and you are familiar enough with the website and computers to not take the extra steps. So it sounds very odd. Especially after what occurred because your My Celebrity was open.

Tough way for us to be warned.

Den

I wanted to follow up....the mixup happened Sunday week and I was so busy I did not have a chance to call Celebrity until yesterday. I spoke

with the IT department yesterday afternoon. I called the HQ number and spoke with a very nice gal and told her about the situation.

She agreed that it was quite funky and took my full name and number. Today I got a call back from another person (another very

courteous call) and she said she wanted me to know they did not forget me and it was a follow up and will call me back with

more information. So, I will let you know what answers I receive. It sounds like it is either being researched or I am just getting

the company line...not sure which but will post again when I hear more. She did say it was passed onto the I T people and

soooo...we shall see.

Just a thought/observation. If you log into a site and then simply close your browser, the odds are you did NOT log off. If you then go back to that site to pick up a link and your computer has not been shut off and your session with the logged in site has not timed out you would still be logged in.

Having said that, there is still no reason your information should cross over into someone else's session. This is a major security flaw, probably on the Celebrity site.

I will certainly be more diligent in logging off of any site I've logged into.

Archived