Upgrade Question

wally8

We are sailing on the Westerdam in Dec and they just had a price drop. I opted to keep the price the same and upgrade from a SY to a SS. My TA said that I would have a better chance of upgrading from the SS to a deluxe suite if I did that. Has anyone been upgraded to a deluxe suite from a SS? Thanks, Wally8

We are sailing on the Westerdam in Dec and they just had a price drop. I opted to keep the price the same and upgrade from a SY to a SS. My TA said that I would have a better chance of upgrading from the SS to a deluxe suite if I did that. Has anyone been upgraded to a deluxe suite from a SS? Thanks, Wally8

Not sure why your TA would make that comment because in all honesty it makes absolutely no difference if you are in an SY,SS or SZ. I also have never seen a complimentary upgrade to an Deluxe Vernadah Suite from these categories....not that it could not happen but it is extremely rare what can happen is that you could be offered a chance to Upgrade for a price to a Deluxe Vernadah Suite but your chances are definitely no better in that SS than the SY cabin you were in.

Now to be truthful on the Westerdam those SY cabins are in much better locations than the SS and even if the SS price went down I would not have given up my SY cabin but then that is just MHO :o

This past January we received an upgrade from an SS to a fabulous SB cabin. Several years prior, we received an upgrade from an SS to an SA cabin. Both of these happened on the Oosterdam. While it may not happen very often, it can and does happen. :) We have been very lucky with upgrades.

However, having done a cruise in an SS cabin, we would have been perfectly happy in an SS-they are very nice cabins. Have a great cruise!

The first time we booked an SS we received the call from the upgrade fairy and took the Deluxe Verandah. Unfortunately that room on the Rotterdam was hard to forget so.....now we book suites.

I have seen a number of upgrades/upsells recently from SS or SZ to Deluxe - hope you get one as well:)

The first time we booked an SS we received the call from the upgrade fairy and took the Deluxe Verandah. Unfortunately that room on the Rotterdam was hard to forget so.....now we book suites.

You would not normally get a call about an upgrade...HAL would just go ahead and process the upgrade. You would get a call in the case of an upsell.

I have seen a number of upgrades/upsells recently from SS or SZ to Deluxe - hope you get one as well:)

You would not normally get a call about an upgrade...HAL would just go ahead and process the upgrade. You would get a call in the case of an upsell.

I think, in this case, upgrade was being used in the generic sense. Posters here sometimes use upgrade to mean a reassignment of cabin by HAL at no charge, an offer to upgrade to a higher category for a fee which is frequently referred to as an up sell, or buying ones way up to a higher category frequently referred to as an up buy. In the strict sense an upgrade initiated by HAL usually doesn't involve a phone call or email from or through your TA offering the new category. Typically you're not going to be asked if you'll accept an upgrade or not. An up sell offer is also initiated by HAL but is passed through your TA or directly to you if you booked directly with HAL. An up buy is initiated by the passenger deciding that they'd rather have a different category cabin.

We are a family of 4 and only had the choice of an ocean view or deluxe verandah suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were told that "no staterooms in this category are available at this time" when we tried to book a verandah. Do we have we any chance of an upgrade from ocean view to something bigger????

Any advice will be gratefully recieved!

I did in 09 on the Veendam...first and only after 20 or so cruises!

Guarantee cabin assignments seem to partially be based on fare paid. I usually guess the assigned category fairly well based on this.

We have guar. category F. So where do you think we will end up? The cruise has increased in price by $500 per cabn since we booked.

Archived