Can you get off ship without a passport?

Can you get off ship and go into Victoria without a passport?

Yes; Canada [has always] requires a US Citizen to have;

1. government issued photo ID (driver's license);
  2. proof of Citizenship (birth certificate);
  3. correct paperwork to go home

#3 is now a passport for US Citizens for all but closed loop cruises (where the US govt only require #1 & #2).

Note the rules to enter Canada didn't change; the rules to re-enter the USA did.

Not necessarily...OP is on a RT cruise out of Seattle, so no passport is required.

That is because it is a closed loop cruise...beging and ending in Seattle. However while a passport is not necessary for this type of cruise there would be a problem if a person had to return home for an emergency while in Canada.

That is because it is a closed loop cruise...beging and ending in Seattle. However while a passport is not necessary for this type of cruise there would be a problem if a person had to return home for an emergency while in Canada.

it's also an issue if their cruise visits Skagway, and they intend to ride the WP&YR railway back into Canada

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to Alaska in September and am going to take the White Horse RR from Skagway into Canada. I have to remember to take, at least, my Passpord Card; or my Passport Book.

I'm going to Alaska in September and am going to take the White Horse RR from Skagway into Canada. I have to remember to take, at least, my Passpord Card; or my Passport Book.

If you are only going to the summit in the White Pass & Yukon RR you don't need either as you only go a few yards into the province of British Columbia and there is no customs check. However if you go beyond that point you will need at least your passport card to re-enter the USA.

If you are only going to the summit in the White Pass & Yukon RR you don't need either as you only go a few yards into the province of British Columbia and there is no customs check. However if you go beyond that point you will need at least your passport card to re-enter the USA.

We took this tour in 2005 and DID need to have passports. They didn't inspect them, but we did all have to wave them to the inspector on the train. Maybe things are different now???

We took this tour in 2005 and DID need to have passports. They didn't inspect them, but we did all have to wave them to the inspector on the train. Maybe things are different now???

Maybe you went further than the summit as we have never needed one...including last Sept and the WP&YRR website is very clear that you don't need a passport. http://www.wpyr.com/summitexcursion.html

• 3 weeks later...
Yes; Canada [has always] requires a US Citizen to have;

1. government issued photo ID (driver's license);
  2. proof of Citizenship (birth certificate);
  3. correct paperwork to go home

#3 is now a passport for US Citizens for all but closed loop cruises (where the US govt only require #1 & #2).

Note the rules to enter Canada didn't change; the rules to re-enter the USA did.

So then I need to carry my birth certificate and drivers license with me off the ship in Victoria?

With the Victoria stop, passenger manifests are provided Canadian Border Services long before the ship arrives and the are vetted by CBS. You will not be required to take anything other then a DL or some other form of government photo id...and even at that it is highly unlikely that it will even be looked at by CBS.

• 2 weeks later...

Check with your cruiseline, I do believe that you need to have a passport to board the ship. Let us know how it works out?

P.S. I tried looking up this info for you, but diff sites say diff things. Might do you good to give your cruiseline a call :)

• 2 weeks later...

As Putterdude pointed out, if you have an emergency in a foreign country you WILL need to have a passport to return to the US if you are unable to return via your cruise. Emergencies do happen, so we make it a point to carry our passport with us, even if we are not required to do so.

Also, if you have family who travels out of the country having a passport is important in the event something happens to them and you need to travel to where they are. Before my cruising/traveling days my DH had to travel to Europe several times a year on business and so I got one "just in case". Thank goodness I never had to use it for that reason, but his aunt did - when her husband had a heart attack over seas.

Hi Putterdude,

Sorry you may not know it but the White Pass & Yukon Railroad does not go into the Province of British Columbia ..in Canada only the Yukon Territory..eh..

On the driven paved road from Skagway, AK, US to the Worlds Smallest Desert in Car Cross, YT, before the First Nations is a Border Post is fully in operation and manned well.

I have driven that many times going back to Whitehorse, Y.T. and Ross River, YT and to the N.W.T too.

A US and/or Canadian Passport is a great piece of official ID.

Having Photo-copies is also a nicer way of not loosing the originals.

;)

Hi Putterdude,

Sorry you may not know it but the White Pass & Yukon Railroad does not go into the Province of British Columbia ..in Canada only the Yukon Territory..eh..

Hi AAAAmerican;

I am afraid that you are incorrect and would suggest that you may care to refer to a map. The WP&YRR enters British Columbia at the White Pass Summit, mile post 20.4, then continues in the province of British Columbia for some until past the town of Bennett, BC which is located at mile post 40.6 where it then enters the Yukon Territory of Canada.

Reference to the WP&YRR website will confirm that a passport is not required to go to the summit.

Already addressed

On the driven paved road from Skagway, AK, US to the Worlds Smallest Desert in Car Cross, YT, before the First Nations is a Border Post is fully in operation and manned well.

I have driven that many times going back to Whitehorse, Y.T. and Ross River, YT and to the N.W.T too.

A US and/or Canadian Passport is a great piece of official ID.

Having Photo-copies is also a nicer way of not loosing the originals.

A photocopy won't get you across the border; you need the original.

Archived