BEWARE renting cabanas

babybigguy

I just returned from a cruise around South America (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) during which time I rented a cabana for the entire cruise. Unfortunately, due to the windy weather and rocking and rolling of the ship my wife and I were unable to use the cabana. The only time we used the cabana the staff gave us blankets - not a very pleasant way to use a cabana. Oceania should have alerted us to the possibilities of rough seas, the type of weather that one may experience on such a cruise before taking us for $700+. I should note that we found out when we were onboard that the previous cruise (Buenos Aires to Valparaiso) was so bad - wind, rain, rough seas that one of the stops - the Falkland Islands - was avoided. We felt that since it is summertime in South America presently that renting a cabana would be a nice plus. In my opinion, Oceania should have warned us of such negative weather possibilities rather than just rent one of eight cabanas for their financial gain. So... if you think about renting a cabana - think twice. Don't rely on Oceania.

I just returned from a cruise around South America (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) during which time I rented a cabana for the entire cruise. Unfortunately, due to the windy weather and rocking and rolling of the ship my wife and I were unable to use the cabana. The only time we used the cabana the staff gave us blankets - not a very pleasant way to use a cabana. Oceania should have alerted us to the possibilities of rough seas, the type of weather that one may experience on such a cruise before taking us for $700+. I should note that we found out when we were onboard that the previous cruise (Buenos Aires to Valparaiso) was so bad - wind, rain, rough seas that one of the stops - the Falkland Islands - was avoided. We felt that since it is summertime in South America presently that renting a cabana would be a nice plus. In my opinion, Oceania should have warned us of such negative weather possibilities rather than just rent one of eight cabanas for their financial gain. So... if you think about renting a cabana - think twice. Don't rely on Oceania.

After you saw the bad weather, who did you talk to about a refund?

Jancruz1

This akin to buying a convertible if you live in Nunavit and then taking legal action against BMW because you never get to put the top down!!!

I have a considerable problem understanding how Oceania is responsible that you didn't enjoy the cabana. Foul weather is always a possibility on a cruise. I also note that in your post pre-cruise another poster warned you temperatures could be in the low 40's.

Do you expect them to warn you when you order a martini that it may cause a hangover? I think we need to take responsibility for our own decisions.

Bruce

What is your solution - weather insurance - that pays you if you have any weather related problems on the cruise? How much of a rebate on your next cruise are you requesting to make up for the fact that the weather on your last cruise was not to your liking?

BTW - ships do rock and roll on occasion. They are ships, not hotels. If you do not want rock and roll, stay on land.

BTW-BTW - I did a bit of post trip due diligence - did you do any pre-trip diligence? You did round Cape Horn which is well known for its bad weather (we had a force 12 gale off Cape Horn when we did Antarctica) and I checked on the climate at Ushuaia which is as close to Cape Horn as I could find on Weather Underground. I found that there was a 68% chance of high winds during the time that you were there.

They owe you nothing.

DON

We were on this cruise. We read plenty ahead of time that indicated the possibility of tough weather. And I think that ANY cruise has the possibility of rough seas!

Did you not pack cold weather clothing for the southern part of the voyage? You must have known it might be nasty.

We were pleasantly surprised by the weather since it was actually sunny and calm most of the way -- just not warm.

Sorry you felt so badly about things -- we had a blast and felt it was the trip of a lifetime. You can see our photos in the thread regarding the Insignia and how all the fuss about staff was nothing to worry about. From our photos you can get an idea of the weather -- no, not cabana weather -- but in our own opinions, not bad for that region and that time of year.

Hope you find your next cruise more satisfactory.

Oceania should have alerted us to the possibilities of rough seas, the type of weather that one may experience on such a cruise before taking us for $700+.....So... if you think about renting a cabana - think twice. Don't rely on Oceania.
Oceania has no control over weather or sea conditions in any place that their ships sail. I don't think they have any obligation to alert you to the possibility of rough seas or poor weather. Nor do I think they should caution you that you may not be able to use a cabana for the whole cruise.

There are numerous posts here on the Oceania forum as well as on the ports of call forums about weather, clothing and sea conditions for cruises all over the world. With a targeted internet search, this info is readily accessible. It's not good enough to passively wait for a cruise line to alert you to some possibility about rough seas or bad weather. You need to actively search out that info.

Ultimately, travelers should rely on themselves for such info. I'm sorry that you didn't do that and ended up with a cabana that proved to be unusable for much of your cruise.

We had a cabana on our Route of the Viking this past August. Yes, it was chilly (sonetimes COLD), but the cabana attendant, Rachmann, was always present with a hot cup of tea and extra blankets. It was so peaceful and beautiful, we didn't mind the chill in the air. We even ate lunch up there many times. After a few drinks, it became warmer. Wouldn't have traded the scenery for anything! The views were some that we will nbever forget, not to mention the privacy. It as almost as if the ship was ours, alone. Well, at least the top deck was!

Sorry you did not experience better weather, but, who can be held accountable for Mother Nature?

I have a considerable problem understanding how Oceania is responsible that you didn't enjoy the cabana. Foul weather is always a possibility on a cruise. I also note that in your post pre-cruise another poster warned you temperatures could be in the low 40's.

Do you expect them to warn you when you order a martini that it may cause a hangover? I think we need to take responsibility for our own decisions.

Bruce

"Cabanas" and "arctic" don't go together. Cabanas=tropical climes, Arctic= Cccccold.

On our July/August 2010 Norway cruise no one (as far as I could tell) used the cabanas. They would have been very pleasant at the southern end of the trip but not at all when we were at the arctic ice cap!

We did the BA-Valpo cruise on NCL in January 2002 (replacing our Renaissance cruise to the Far East that didn't happen) and it was plenty cold down at the bottom of the world. Not freezing-ass cold, but cold. NCL didn't have anything like a cabana, of course.

While I agree with previous posters that you probably should have known that the weather wouldn't be great for much of the trip in terms of using the cabana, I DO think that when the OP booked it Oceania personnel could have mentioned that weather might not be conducive to a cabana. Maybe they just assumed you KNEW what the weather would be like, but something should have been said.

On the bright side of things, now you know!

Wow - I did not expect such responses. Of course, I checked the weather for all the areas we were visiting. I did not expect to use the cabana when we visited the Ushuaia area. But I did not expect the weather to be so unfavaorable as soon as we left Valparaiso on the way to Puerto Montt. I also did not ask for a refund or any compensation for another voyage. For those that say - it is a ship and not a hotel - I have never seen so many wrist bands or patches behind people ears as I have seen on this trip AND no I didn't need a patch or wrist band. My main premise is that Oceania should have said something, anything about the possibility that cabanas may not be used during this voyage given possible negative weather conditions. I suppose the saying, Buyer Beware holds even when cruising.

Are you all sure this is a genuine post? A cabana which could not be used on an Antarctic cruise! Who would have thunk?

I suspect this is someone making fun of people who refuse to take personal responsibility - a parody. Anyone who gets through middle school in the U.S. knows that the weather near the tip of S. America is the worst and most unpredictable on the planet. So do you really think anyone would seriously argue that the cruise line should have told them the cabana might not be terribly useful on a Valparaiso to BA cruise? :confused: Come on, guys. It's a joke.

Bill

Are you all sure this is a genuine post? A cabana which could not be used on an Antarctic cruise! Who would have thunk?

I suspect this is someone making fun of people who refuse to take personal responsibility - a parody. Anyone who gets through middle school in the U.S. knows that the weather near the tip of S. America is the worst and most unpredictable on the planet. So do you really think anyone would seriously argue that the cruise line should have told them the cabana might not be terribly useful on a Valparaiso to BA cruise? :confused: Come on, guys. It's a joke.

Bill

And posted by Babybigguy? This MUST be a joke

Anyone who gets through middle school in the U.S. knows that the weather near the tip of S. America is the worst and most unpredictable on the planet.

Bill

You have more faith in the American educational system than I have. If you eliminate the people in school who actually come from South America, I would suspect that if you asked most people where South America is, they would say that it is somewhere near Dallas. I would also suspect that the vast majority of the high school graduates in the US could not name 2 countries (maybe even one) in South America.

DON

I noticed :babybigguy" is a retired professor. No doubt he would have never accepted a paper written by a student who did no research prior to submitting. Seems that is what he forgot to do before his South American cruise.....:confused:

Wow - I did not expect such responses. Of course, I checked the weather for all the areas we were visiting. I did not expect to use the cabana when we visited the Ushuaia area. But I did not expect the weather to be so unfavaorable as soon as we left Valparaiso on the way to Puerto Montt. I also did not ask for a refund or any compensation for another voyage. For those that say - it is a ship and not a hotel - I have never seen so many wrist bands or patches behind people ears as I have seen on this trip AND no I didn't need a patch or wrist band. My main premise is that Oceania should have said something, anything about the possibility that cabanas may not be used during this voyage given possible negative weather conditions. I suppose the saying, Buyer Beware holds even when cruising.

It sounds like you had particularly bad luck in terms of weather. When we did this cruise so long ago it was very warm at the beginning and end of the cruise. Not so much at the bottom of the continent, of course, but that was to be expected!

I agree with you that people booking cabanas on such itineraries should be warned about possible weather complications. The person making the booking shouldn't just assume that the passenger knows. But I suspect that is just what they do.

It sounds like you had particularly bad luck in terms of weather. When we did this cruise so long ago it was very warm at the beginning and end of the cruise. Not so much at the bottom of the continent, of course, but that was to be expected!

I agree with you that people booking cabanas on such itineraries should be warned about possible weather complications. The person making the booking shouldn't just assume that the passenger knows. But I suspect that is just what they do.

We did NOT have bad weather on this cruise! Rough seas a couple days, but wonderfully sunny and calm most of the way. Temps exactly as you described in your experience. Warm in the north, colder in the south. Windier and a bit damp-ish in the Falklands but really not bad at all!!!!

(I was on the same sailing as Big baby)

I believe he said they lost the sunshine right away. That's what I was referring to when I said "bad weather". No doubt an overstatement on my part.

But it was "bad" in comparison to the bright sunshine we had in January 2002. Too bad there are no guarantees where weather (or seas) are concerned.

I can't help but feel that people are too eager to jump all over Babybigguy for being unhappy about the cabana's usefulness is all.

I can't help but feel that people are too eager to jump all over Babybigguy for being unhappy about the cabana's usefulness is all.

People are not jumping all over Big Baby for being unhappy about the cabana's usefulness. He's not even unhappy about that...he's unhappy that Oceania did not warn them that the weather could *possibly* be bad. (And another poster who was on the same cruise states the weather was not even that bad.)

People do not think Big Baby is entitled to place the blame on Oceania, and that Oceania *should* have informed them of *possible* bad weather.

Good grief, if this was the case, where would the madness stop?

I would also suspect that the vast majority of the high school graduates in the US could not name 2 countries (maybe even one) in South America.

Rather an exaggeration, wouldn't you say, Don? In this day and age, I'm sure everyone has heard of Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, to say the least.

Bill

Archived