Have you attended a worship service on board?

parentsof5

Am I the only one who recognized that the first post was nothing but the start of that slippery slope that wanders far and wide, brings out the worst in all of us and would turn into some religious battle instead of a cruise issue?

There's actually an entire church that does just this - the Unitarian Universalist church. It depends on the individual congregation sometimes, but in general the ones I've attended are a place where people of all faiths come together for the spiritual and believe they can respect and learn from the faiths of others. I've been to Unitarian services with a Christian theme, another was once centered around a Native American group with a drum circle, celebrations of passover and even a Buddhist monk as featured speaker. It's certainly not to everyone's taste, but there definitely is such a thing.:)

Quakers also do something similar except their (non-programmed) church services are held in silence as a way to mediate on your week and to study queries that are given at the beginning of the service.

I've always found Quakers (or "Friends") more welcoming and accepting of people of all faiths than any other church I've ever set foot in.

Hi all

the question is do they have religious services?

the reply is yes

what is all this detailed talk about religion on the board.

it is amazing how 1 simple question turns into a huge debate

Amen.................

Hi all

the question is do they have religious services?

the reply is yes

what is all this detailed talk about religion on the board.

it is amazing how 1 simple question turns into a huge debate

If you read any of the Carnival threads and or posts you just knew it was going to happen.

As I stated earlier, I was not aware that other groups of religious people (other than Christian) would associate the word non-denominational with themselves. As this is a term regularly used in the secular and Christian world to describe the different organized Chirsitian religions (Baptist, Methodist, etc.), I was using it in that vernacular. We will also have it posted in the Fun Times as a Non-Denominational Christian Worship. As I also stated, everyone is welcome, we do want people to understand what type of worship will be offering so no one is uncomfortable.

I expect (and assume) any non-denominational service on a Sunday morning to be Christian. A non-denominational Sunday service always seems to be on the schedule in the National Parks I've been to. They have never been labeled as 'Non-Denominational Christian.'

Partyof5, I think it is wonderful that you want to extend worship to others. Hope Carnival finds a nice area to accomodate your group.

I expect (and assume) any non-denominational service on a Sunday morning to be Christian. A non-denominational Sunday service always seems to be on the schedule in the National Parks I've been to. They have never been labeled as 'Non-Denominational Christian.'

Depends on who is running it.

I respect your atheism, and most of your post seems very tolerant of the various world religions, but using the phrase "magic sky man" is offensive and condescending.

Apologies...it was a botched attempt to be funny...just trying to lighten the topic.

Anyways, don't want to hijack the thread.

cheers.

Apologies...it was a botched attempt to be funny...just trying to lighten the topic.

Anyways, don't want to hijack the thread.

cheers.

I don't see a way to send you a PM here, so I just wanna say I like Johnny Walker Black, but ♥ Black Bottle.

Am I the only one who recognized that the first post was nothing but the start of that slippery slope that wanders far and wide' date=' brings out the worst in all of us and would turn into some religious battle instead of a cruise issue?[/quote']

It never occured to me when I posted it, because I can never understand why people on boards cannot just take the question at hand and answer it, leaving out the rest. Of course, I didn't think about others have a different defination of non-denominational in their minds, which is what started some of it.

It does not mean that we would water-down God to make Him acceptable to everyone who might worship another God. I am sure anyone would be welcome to attend regardless of their belief, provided they were respectful and not disruptive. But that doesn't mean that the ones organizing the service would change God to try and make Him more acceptable.

This is exactly how we feel. We will undoubtedly bring some of our beliefs into the service my husband prepares. But the wonderful thing will be the commanality. We are very excited to worship God, in the middle of the ocean, with other believers.

Thanks everyone for ideas & things to think about.

Am I the only on who finds the word "worship" quite ancient?

To celebrate life is to celebrate "God" aka Love.

To worship to me is has the connotation to put that thing first and foremost as the most important item in your existance. A priest might worship his God, a normal person must worship Life. That is the difference between them. That is why in the Roman Catholic branch of Christianity Priests are not allowed to marry. Their worship is to God, not to another person.

Maybe I'm going too deep, I do apologize. We in Western Europe have a far more liberal idea about religion, with a majority of Atheists (at least in the Benelux) and a church-going percentage of...2% of the population...

To the OP. . . . . my husband is a pastor and he volunteered to do a service on the Carnival Liberty a few years ago. They gave us a room, printed it in the Fun Times, let us use the CD player in the room for the music and offered elements for communion. How Great Thou Art, Lord, I Lift Your Name on High, How Great Is Our God, and Majesty were songs we used for the service. . . . .

Yes... on the CONQUEST last Feb (2010) there were daily Mass services... Roman Catholic, with the Rosary before the mass. The first evening, they were in the Piano Bar (of all places). I just LOVED that!!! But the rest of the evening... We were in the conference room...

These services were not non-demoninational... But we still had about 15 folks at some, and 6 at others!!!

We had no music -- except chanting... it was wonderful and all were welcome!!!

232323232%7Ffp53394%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E9%3A8%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B9%3A5%3C93332%3Anu0mrj

To the OP. . . . . my husband is a pastor and he volunteered to do a service on the Carnival Liberty a few years ago. They gave us a room, printed it in the Fun Times, let us use the CD player in the room for the music and offered elements for communion. How Great Thou Art, Lord, I Lift Your Name on High, How Great Is Our God, and Majesty were songs we used for the service. . . . .

Someone agrees with my fav song, Lord I Lift Your Name on High. ;) Love that song. :)

We had a Catholic mass on our cruise to Alaska. Once the priest found out so many people were interested, he held one each day of the cruise. We only went on the Sunday mass so I don't know how many people showed for the rest of the time.

The songs listed are non-denominational. They are not inter-faith songs. There is a difference.

interfaith ( ) adj. Of, relating to, or involving persons of different religious faiths: an interfaith marriage; an interfaith.

I can not imagine attending an inter-faith service. What songs and sermon can be for multiple dieties? Call me politically incorrect but I have no desire to attend such a service...it would be either confusing or very generic. I go to church to worship God and no one else. And I fully believe that other religions probably feel the same. And I am not bashing any religions...I am just using my beliefs as an example.

OP, I think it is wonderful that you are planning on a service and are willing to open it to others.

I totally agree. I believe this is a very nice idea! If I were on their cruise, I'd certainly participate. As long as everyone in the group praised the same God, Jesus Christ, the small details that individualize each denomination wouldn't make a difference in this situation. All praising the same God, together, over God's beautiful creation.....the beautiful sea! :D

Thank you for sharing this! I am familiar with these songs, and this was similiar to what I was thinking. About how many did you have attend?

How long would your service be? Just wondering.

My husband was thinking around 30 minutes, I think it might be a bit longer. Nothing too long, but definately sincere. I guess you figure at home we go a little over an hour, but have announcements, probably more singing, and communion takes awhile with a couple of hundred people. Of course we can go longer if people wanted to sing more. What are your thoughts?

To worship to me is has the connotation to put that thing first and foremost as the most important item in your existance. A priest might worship his God, a normal person must worship Life. That is the difference between them. That is why in the Roman Catholic branch of Christianity Priests are not allowed to marry. Their worship is to God, not to another person.

Maybe I'm going too deep, I do apologize. We in Western Europe have a far more liberal idea about religion, with a majority of Atheists (at least in the Benelux) and a church-going percentage of...2% of the population...

I do not find it ancient at all and completely believe that first and foremost God should be the most important item in my existence. Do I always fulfill this to God's desire, no. But it is something I work on daily. It is easy to allow daily life to interfere and I am far from perfect. Good thing his grace covers me. No apologizes necessary. Good discussion!

Thanks for all of the other details (and picture!) of services some have attended!

It never occured to me when I posted it, because I can never understand why people on boards cannot just take the question at hand and answer it, leaving out the rest. Of course, I didn't think about others have a different defination of non-denominational in their minds, which is what started some of it.

This is exactly how we feel. We will undoubtedly bring some of our beliefs into the service my husband prepares. But the wonderful thing will be the commanality. We are very excited to worship God, in the middle of the ocean, with other believers.

Thanks everyone for ideas & things to think about.

I think what you are wanting to do is great, and if a person wants to participate, then they are welcome to come. If they don't want to be in a service that gives Jesus Christ His due honor, then that is their choice too. Just don't let them make you feel like you have to do it their way. It is your service, and you are not obligated to read the Koran, the Vedas, or anything else that does not reflect your Christian beliefs. Nor are you obligated to sing some watered-down song that makes no mention of Jesus.

Personally, I have never seen the term "non-denominational" used in the way some are applying it here. Christianity is not a denomination...it is a religion. Within that religion, are various denominations, many of which believe the Bible to be God's Word, and Jesus Christ as Savior.

Wish I was gonna be on that cruise. I would love to attend.

Does anyone know if the Carnival Dream will hold an Easter Sunday Service. I am a Lay Eucharistic Minister in the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia, and would love to attend a worship service onboard.

We were on A carnival ship during Easter, and there was a priest onboard and he gave a wonderful Easter morning service- it was quite well attended! Beautiful...

T

My husband was thinking around 30 minutes, I think it might be a bit longer. Nothing too long, but definately sincere. I guess you figure at home we go a little over an hour, but have announcements, probably more singing, and communion takes awhile with a couple of hundred people. Of course we can go longer if people wanted to sing more. What are your thoughts?

I don't think there is any "right" amount of time. The elements are only offered monthly at the churches I've attended, so that's not a "must have" for me. It would be nice to change my focus, if only for a short time. :)

Interesting post.

In Hebrew "pray" is used for "accepted" mono theist religions and "worship" more for religions that involve idols.

As for Wicca, the word will depend on the opinion of the person speaking.

As for religion here (see my location) and %s, well, it's compicated.

I would love to meet you on a cruise and discuss this over drinks in a quiet bar.

From Wikipedia

"In Christianity, non-denominational institutions or churches are those not formally aligned with an established denomination, or that remain otherwise officially autonomous."

For one day your family and those who come will literally be creating its own church. It will not be Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, etc.

It will be a gathering of hearts, with one central belief, and that is Jesus is Christ. The object of a service such as this is what you agree on, not disagree.

I have seen offers to worship such as this before, but did not go because the timing was bad. But, I hope to do something like this on future cruises also (I am a United Methodist Minister.)

I hope you will let us know how it goes.

From Wikipedia

"In Christianity, non-denominational institutions or churches are those not formally aligned with an established denomination, or that remain otherwise officially autonomous."

For one day your family and those who come will literally be creating its own church. It will not be Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, etc.

It will be a gathering of hearts, with one central belief, and that is Jesus is Christ. The object of a service such as this is what you agree on, not disagree.

I have seen offers to worship such as this before, but did not go because the timing was bad. But, I hope to do something like this on future cruises also (I am a United Methodist Minister.)

I hope you will let us know how it goes.

I will definately let everyone know how it goes.

Rather than creating our own church, I would like to think we will be the church, no divisions, only one church like he calls us to be. It will be nice to escape the traditions brought on by men, and be concerned only with what the bible calls us to do. If only we could put our selfish desires aside and give this to him all of the time.

I would also agree whole heartedly with your wikipedia definition.

Archived