Does the boat "bob" in the Med?

pacaduli

We are seriously considering booking a Mediterranean cruise on Oceania this summer. I don't like the huge mega-ships, but I know that they handle the ocean movements better than a smaller boat.

We were on a 300 passenger ship in Tahiti, and the ship's movement was absolutely horrendous. It ruined a few nice eveings for me.

Anyone that has experience with Oceania in the Med, that would like to give me some input on this topic?

I would opt for a mega-ship cruise on the Med, if Oceania "bobs" too much.

TIA! Carol

We are seriously considering booking a Mediterranean cruise on Oceania this summer. I don't like the huge mega-ships, but I know that they handle the ocean movements better than a smaller boat.

We were on a 300 passenger ship in Tahiti, and the ship's movement was absolutely horrendous. It ruined a few nice eveings for me.

Anyone that has experience with Oceania in the Med, that would like to give me some input on this topic?

TIA! Carol

Carol-

I'm afraid that your ideas of ship stability are about 50 years out of date.

Up until the 1960's, booking a larger ship was one way to insure a smoother ride

queenelizabeth1.jpg

Today, however, the largest ships have some of the most glaring problems with stability. Can you imagine the nightmare of trying to keep something like this vertical in the water?

005019.jpg

You and your nervous tummy will certainly be more comfortable on an Oceania ship. You will also be able to push all of those ugly "Poseidon Adventure" thoughts right out of your head.

NauticaCruiseShip.gif The R ships ride like ducks on the water.

mallard-duck-swimming-in-jensen-lake-lebanon-hills-regional-park-mn184.jpg

While JimandStan are correct in that ships are much better equipped today to handle rough waters, the laws of physic still remain, all else being equal a large ship will takes seas better than a smaller one. Just ask anyone in the Navy.

As to will the ship "bob" the answer is maybe. It is dependent on the weather. Most Med cruises take place in the summer when the Med tends to be calmer. On our last two trips there it was quite nice, I don't recall anything rough, however; there are occassions when storms occur and it will get rough and the ship will "bob".

Kirk

Having been on 5 Med Cruises in the Summer both on O and Az (small ships) I can tell you that the ONLY time we noticed any Roberting was at night when the ships were at top speed.

On each occasion we were at the back of the Ship.

Brian

Usually the Med is "glass smooth" and you can't even feel you are moving. We did 12 nights on Celebrity's Millennium, moving from one port to the next; zero sensation of movement. Having said that, our worst storm in 38 cruises, was cruising from Malta to Barcelona (RCCL's Splendor; 77,000 tons). We had 35 foot seas and people could hardly walk down the hallways; all outside doors were locked; you had to use two hands on the handrails to get up/down the stairs; sick people everywhere -- we loved it!!!

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Thanks for the replies!

JimandStan: I appreciate the visual aides>>I learn best that way!

I am not sure I fully agree, tho. I was told the stabilizers on the mega-ships are simply "bigger", thus preventing..roberting. :)

In Tahiti, that ship also had stabilizers, but did not seem nearly as effective. Now, I am nowhere close to an expert, but I talked with a knowledgeable person who told me that in simple terms, it has to do with how deep the ship sits in the water that helps with the stabilization.

So a bigger boat, which is much heavier, sits deeper in the water. The smaller boats sit on top of the water, just like the cute little yellow rubber duckie in my bathtub. :)

If I was on a ship that was in a storm with 35 foot swells..I would be saying...."Get me OFF THIS THANG!" :D

Happy cruising, Carol

One possible problem with your logic: if you were to compare several 300 passenger ships with each other you might well find that some do better in terms of motion than the others.

Also, the "R" ships are more than twice the size of your 300 passenger ship -- at least in terms of passenger capacity.

Having done several Med cruises on the "R" ships, I can't recall being uncomfortable at any time. Yes, we were lucky with the weather. But I've had more "rough" days in the Caribbean than I have in the Med.

Probably my luck as much as anything else. No one can guarantee that you will have the same luck! (I should add that I am sensitive to motion as opposed to my husband who never is.)

Mura

Thanks for the replies!

JimandStan: I appreciate the visual aides>>I learn best that way!

I am not sure I fully agree, tho. I was told the stabilizers on the mega-ships are simply "bigger", thus preventing..roberting. :)

In Tahiti, that ship also had stabilizers, but did not seem nearly as effective. Now, I am nowhere close to an expert, but I talked with a knowledgeable person who told me that in simple terms, it has to do with how deep the ship sits in the water that helps with the stabilization.

So a bigger boat, which is much heavier, sits deeper in the water. The smaller boats sit on top of the water, just like the cute little yellow rubber duckie in my bathtub. :)

If I was on a ship that was in a storm with 35 foot swells..I would be saying...."Get me OFF THIS THANG!" :D

Happy cruising, Carol

You're not alone in wanting to think that size offers some guarantee against the movement of the sea. In fact, the Queen Mary of 1936 was originally built without handrails in her hallways for that very reason.

Once launched, however, Cunard learned that even an 80,000 ton ship (then the biggest ever built) could "roll the milk out of a cup of tea".

Stabilizers help significantly, but the motion of the ocean cannot be predicted or completely overcome. You are "upon the sea" and even thirty feet below the surface, it moves!

One of the reasons that Summer is considered High Season in the Med is that the seas are typically calmest from late June until early August. If calm seas are a primary concern, resist the temptation to travel in the less expensive shoulder seasons.

Naturally, there will be anecdotal posts following this one, by people who sailed off season and got lucky, but if you want to play the weather odds; sail in the middle of summer

I am being picky I know, but these are ships, not boats. We have cruised the Med 5 times and only once did we feel much movement. That being said, I like to know I am on a ship in the ocean so it doesn't bother me at all whatever the movement, I never get seasick.

Having been on 5 Med Cruises in the Summer both on O and Az (small ships) I can tell you that the ONLY time we noticed any Roberting was at night when the ships were at top speed.

On each occasion we were at the back of the Ship.

Brian, may I suggest that to appease the former sailors in the group that you refrain from referring to "the back of the boat"....

In true nautical terms, you should refer to "the propellery end of the boat" as opposed to "the pointy end of the boat".

Cheers!!

pacaduli,

Something you can do to minimize the movement on the ship is to book low and mid-ship. It doesn't stop the "bobbing", but that is the most stable location on board in case of a storm. We were on Marina's maiden voyage (January) and encountered 20-30' seas and about 50-60 mph winds on either side of the Straits of Gibralter. That was the day of our cabin crawl, and yes the ship was really "rocking and rolling." We all noticed the increased movement the higher they went in the ship.

There are medications you can obtain from your MD to assist with a queasy stomach. Also, eating fairly bland, non-greasy food helps. It is hard to have oatmeal for breakfast with all those wonderful goodies available - but it beats being seasick!

Good luck! Kay

Having cruised through Tahiti from Hawaii to New Zealand on a larger cruise ship (and also having cruised the Pacific on one of those large gray flattop things) as well as the Med a few times, one factor to hopefully allay fears when comparing the two rides is that the Med is a (very large) closed basin with an average depth of about 1500 meters and significant coastal depths of 100-300 meters (which is where a lot of cruise and pleasure sailing takes place). Although storms in spring and fall can make it choppy, the vast majority of boats, ships and other floating devices can pass through with little more than the gentle rocking we (many of us) love about being on the water.

Tahiti, on the other hand, is a peak of about 5,000 meters, with only the very top in our breathable space along an open plain (the Pacific) with an average depth of about 4,300 meters (15,000 feet!). I was struck in the last crossing several times when the depth gauge posted for public view showed 19,000 feet-plus under the keel. We also got a few of those really great green-water over the gunnels (gunwales for the purists) swells from time to time to remind us we were nothing in comparison to the size of that Ocean.

In short, Tahiti and elsewhere in the Pacific Basin can heave you around in interesting ways that only the depth and expanse can provide, so a smaller ship can experience some real tell-the-family moments as a result. In the Med, your chances of extracurricular movement are far less likely IMHO.

Thanks, Bob H

TIA! Carol

I bet that was your Paul Gauguin cruise, as that ship is known for more motion then most ships that cruise Tahiti. I don't think you should judge all small ships by the motion on the P.G.

One of the roughest days on a ship that we experienced was on Regatta between France and Barcelona in October! It was for just one day. The rest of the cruise was smooth.

But it can happen to any ship depending on the conditions ...

I don't wish on anyone the trip we had on one of the old Bergen Line ships, Bergen to North Cape, in August 1975 where we encountered an arctic storm. The captain said it was the worst storm he'd seen in 25 years of passenger service.

I was lying in my bunk and one moment my head would be pointing at the sea floor, and the next it would be pointing at the ceiling.

NOBODY went to dinner. Well, my husband did. Even when we were in port, most people stayed in their bunks!

Mura

TIA! Carol

My only three cruises ever have been on Oceania, and all have been in the Med because of the relatively smooth sailing there when compared to the North Sea between England and Norway or the Bay of Biscay off the French coast, which is wavy because it is shallow. This summer we are doing Copenhagen to Stockholm rather than leaving from Dover, sacrificing a third day in St. Petersburg, because of my worries about the Channel and the North Sea. (I kid you not.)

I suggest a cabin mid-ship, which has worked out great for me on all three cruises. Also, I strongly suggest you sail in June rather than late summer if you are traveling between Greece and Turkey, such as to visit the Cycladic islands in the Aegean Sea where the famous meltemi winds which start in late July may affect the ability to tender to Delos, Mykonos, Santorini, etc., as it did us on our first cruise in early September, requiring a re-visit in June, when the seas there were as calm as glass.

I am famous for my queasy stomach and have turned down seating at the premier aft table in the Grand Dining Room because I do not like the effect that the vibration of the propeller has on me!

Hope this helps.

...for any who haven't done so already, you should do a cruise to Alaska and experience crossing the Queen Charlotte Sound on a stormy day - that is a true definition of "bobbing". After that experience any day on the Mediterranean will seem like calm seas...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Thanks a lot, Imagineer ... now that we're about to do Alaska this summer ...

...lol, go ahead and do it, just take the normal precautions that are recommended on here to combat queasiness. I'd never let a bit of ocean motion interfere with whether or not I'd go on a cruise. If you've never done Alaska you really need to, the scenery is quite literally breathtaking for anyone who hasn't seen that part of the world. My wife and I live in that part of the world (kind of, 400 miles south) and even we found it very worthwhile to visit...

...the area between the Queen Charlottes, now known as Haida Gwai, and the Alaskan/BC mainland is rather notorious for it's weather but there's no way to get to Alaska without sailing through it, consider it one of life's experiences...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Thanks a lot, Imagineer ... now that we're about to do Alaska this summer ...

Take Bonine every night of the cruise -- no problem! Non-drowsy, no side effects, and you can even drink a bit of alcohol.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Thanks, guys.

Actually, we have been to Alaska -- only our cruise was in June 1990, before we really started cruising in modern days. We've also done all the glacier areas so I do know what can happen.

I don't recall a problem with motion sickness on our first Alaska trip ... but we've had some bad motion problems in the Caribbean!

It can happen anywhere.

Mura

DH gets seasick so we always try for a cabin on a low deck, midship. On rough sea days, he doesn't emerge all day. Let's see, he has spent days in there in the Baltic, the Mediterranean, Asia, The Caribbean. We were preparing ourselves for his hibernation when we cruised around the horn in South America and we never did hit rough seas! It all just depends so go enjoy yourself! Thanks for the warning about the cruise to Alaska---which we will be doing this summer. I think we'll go to the doctor and get some behind-the-ear patches for him! Oh, yes, he spent two days in the cabin when we were on the maiden voyage of the Marina in European waters but when we got out into the open Atlantic, the seas were calm and he was fine.

but guys, what part of You are on a ship in th emiddle of the ocean did you forget? Ships "bob"... lol

I for one never sleep as great as I do when at sea...

cabin doors wide open..crashing waves...:p

like in a cradle.. love it..

Archived