Why should I board early (Venice departure)

dln929

First of all, this is our first cruise and second, it's also our first trip to Venice. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on and I know that we should be at the ship at least two hours ahead. For a 5pm departure from Venice, that makes it 3 pm at the latest. I've downloaded the port guide and know how to get there from our hotel (Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo) so I don't think we'll get lost or be late.

But so many people say that we (meaning anyone) should get there by noon and enjoy the day on board, using the hours before sailing to eat at the Windjammer and explore the ship. But I've read that our cabin might not be ready when we board. This means I have to lug around my carry-on tote and pocketbook which to me is no fun. And it means more time that we're not in Venice when we could be.

Those of you who sailed out of Venice, what do you do? It really does seem like a shame to be on the ship on the early side in this case (but if you all weigh in with good reasons why we should, I'll take your advice).

Some people feel that they've paid for that first day, and they want to be on board and getting every minute and every dollar's worth for what they've paid.

From my perspective, it's not an enjoyable way to start my cruise lugging my carry on bags around and waiting on buffet lines. I'd much rather be enjoying a leisurely lunch at a fabulous restaurant in Venice ... after all, you'll have the entire rest of the cruise to eat the ship food, and the entire point of cruising in the Med is the ports, so why not enjoy Venice as much as you can?

I think its all a matter of personal preference AND the port from which you're sailing! In 2008 we sailed from Venice - but our ship spent the first night in port and sailed about 5pm the second day. We arrived in Venice about noon the day before boarding, dumped out "stuff" at the hotel and took off walking around that fabulous city! Next morning we had tickets to the Doges' Palace - wonderful! - had a nice lunch and boarded the ship about 4/5pm. We stayed aboard, settling in and had dinner. Next morning we took the ship's shuttle to San Marco and walked our feet off having a great day - after drinks at Harry's (rediculiously expensive but I'm SO gald we did it!!) and a light lunch we were back on board about 3pm for sailing.

Now, all that being said - I was VERY sorry we hadn't scheduled more time in Venice - so sorry that we're going back this year as part of a "crazy" post-cruise trip!! I don't think I'll ever get enough of Venice!!!! My son said 2 days was enough - he's nuts!!! I could spend 2 days just wandering around all those fabulous little streets!!

But what-ever you do - don't miss the sail-away from Venice - and make sure you have a camera with you - we had a balcony but were on the top deck to get a 360degree view! It won't take too long but well worth seeing - especially if its your first cruise! If you get on board close to the sail-away time then fix your cabin after you pass San Marco and the other buildings!! (We didn't sail into Venice - our cruise ended at Barcelona so I can't speak of that.)

One final suggestion - you mention reading about Venice - the spring before our cruise I read "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt - I thought it was a wonderful way to prepare myself to experience Venice and our whole adventure turned into a trip of a lifetime!

Have a fabulous cruise!!!

I had been to Venice before but it was my first cruise. So we went from an airport hotel to the ship around 11:30am, checked in the luggage, then spent time getting familiar with the ship. Our luggage arrived by 2pm so we got unpacked then enjoyed the entertainment at the pool.

If this had NOT been my first cruise, I would have checked my luggage as early as possible then gone into Venice for a few hours, even if I only had time to go down the canal and back.

We seem to be cut of the same cloth....... can't think of a single cruise where we boarded early to enjoy the ship. To us the ports are the destinations and the ship is the vessel that gets us there. Now don't get me wrong, we like a nice ship, one with all the bells and whistles. But it is secondary to the ports.

There are those who are just the opposite. I read posts sometimes about staying on the ship in port :eek: I just can't even fathom that concept :o I think that is why a trans-atlantic is not on my "to do list". Too many sea days.

So, my advice to you is to "do it your way" - whatever that is. This is your trip - enjoy Venice !

This is wonderful! You've all told me what I (really) wanted to hear. My husband and I will be at the dock bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 3 pm promptly. Venice awaits. :)

Just to add a little colour to your planning and anticipation ...

Some years ago, in pre-cruising days, the OH and I did a road trip from London to Athens. As part of that it made sense to stop by in Venice and pick up a ferry to take us down to Greece. I didn't tell himself when we were planning this but I was absolutely indifferent about seeing Venice; I'd never been before but surely it had to be one of the most over-hyped, over-photographed, over-touristy locations in Europe?

When we got there I absolutely loved it; it is perhaps the only place I've been to that really looks like the tourist photos. We spent two or three days wandering and looking and exploring and getting lost and just not caring. We took vaporettos around and about and went out to Murano and ducked down side streets and visited beautiful churches and drank coffee standing in the street.

Last year we had the chance to take a cruise starting and ending in Venice so had a second bite at the cherry. Our ship overnighted in port but *still* the OH had to hustle me back to the ship when I really wanted to spend more time there. I picked up a good chunk of our Christmas presents there too; Murano glass earrings, handmade notebooks, calligraphy sets and so on and so on.

Your ship will still be there to explore after you've sailed away from Venice; take the chance to explore the city while you can. It really is lovely :)

Mands

Now, all that being said - I was VERY sorry we hadn't scheduled more time in Venice - so sorry that we're going back this year as part of a "crazy" post-cruise trip!! I don't think I'll ever get enough of Venice!!!! My son said 2 days was enough - he's nuts!!! I could spend 2 days just wandering around all those fabulous little streets!!

That cracked me up. I have been told by others that 2 days is enough in Venice, too. A tour guide from another town in Italy told me, "there is nothing to do in Venice. Don't bother." He must be nuts, too!

I can hardly wait to get there!

When we got there I absolutely loved it; it is perhaps the only place I've been to that really looks like the tourist photos. We spent two or three days wandering and looking and exploring and getting lost and just not caring. We took vaporettos around and about and went out to Murano and ducked down side streets and visited beautiful churches and drank coffee standing in the street.

Last year we had the chance to take a cruise starting and ending in Venice so had a second bite at the cherry. Our ship overnighted in port but *still* the OH had to hustle me back to the ship when I really wanted to spend more time there. I picked up a good chunk of our Christmas presents there too; Murano glass earrings, handmade notebooks, calligraphy sets and so on and so on.

Your ship will still be there to explore after you've sailed away from Venice; take the chance to explore the city while you can. It really is lovely :)

Mands

Love your description of Venice. Have to ask... what does OH stand for?

Everyone is making me feel like I made the right decision to choose a cruise that leaves out of Venice, despite how awkward and time-consuming it is for us to get there. And it makes me feel twice as happy that the Voyager stays the last night of the cruise IN Venice! Someone is going to be staying out rather late, I think.

Well, actually, that made me think of another question. Is there a curfew? If we go out and don't come back to the ship until midnight, is that a problem?

Everyone is making me feel like I made the right decision to choose a cruise that leaves out of Venice, despite how awkward and time-consuming it is for us to get there. And it makes me feel twice as happy that the Voyager stays the last night of the cruise IN Venice! Someone is going to be staying out rather late, I think.

Well, actually, that made me think of another question. Is there a curfew? If we go out and don't come back to the ship until midnight, is that a problem?

If your ship is there overnight, you can come back whenever you want - not until the next morning if that's your choice.

We can't wait for September to get back to Venice - we'll enjoy 3 days before our cruise leaves. We were there overnight on a cruise in 2009 and made the mistake of coming back to eat dinner on the ship - not sure what the heck we were thinking:confused: We'll be enjoying Venice this time until we absolutely have to get on the ship.

Marianne

OH = Other Half. Perhaps used more in the UK than anywhere else, sorry :)

Mands

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be for Old Husband :D

After reading your description of Venice, I think I should pack an extra bag for all of the Christmas shopping I will do there. ;)

I am really looking forward to getting lost in Venice.

Archived