All things EARTH...

Mousey, how was the weather in San Diego? it's been snowing off and on for the past few days hear. it hasn't really been sticking, which is good. I hear it will be in the 50's most of this week.

I think I'm up to cruise next? Anita will be back during next week, then I sail on May 16th.

it sounds like you found some fun things!

Keep trying those links. sometimes, it's just the website acting up.

Coming up this week, I plan to try things on and narrow down what I think I will be bringing on my trip. I have time, but I think it will be really important to actually try on outfits, and be sure they look the way I think they will in my mind. I can try them on with the Keds too!

Wow, Laurie, your cruise is going to be here before you know it! I like that animal print suit, too, but I don't think I could wear that neckline.

I think I'm going to book that Zumba cruise since I don't have to make my final decision until January, and there's a sale on right now.

We went up and opened our lakehouse, so I was cleaning all weekend. My nails are a mess. But, it may be in the 70s next weekend so we could go kayaking. Yay! My sister is coming next weekend with her DH and the baby so I wanted everything to look good.

I like Lands end & buy a lot of their clothes . Their pants and bathing suits fit perfectly and really last . The last few times I have ordered their tops I have been disappointed . They tend to run small and the t shirts have not been good quality . I really need to find some good quality basic t shirts to wear with my maxi skirts . After Anita did the giant closet cleaning I did the same now I find I have gaps to fill . My SO just rolls his eyes as the packages arrive .

I bought a couple of sleeveless v-neck cotton/spandex shirts at Chicos this weekend. They come in many colors (I got cobalt & turquoise). They have a rounded bottom that looks pretty good with my Maxi skirts & they're really comfortable with a regular bra too

I've never actually purchased anything from Land's End, but with these posts, I'm starting to look at their site more. I love the eyelet tank. I think the orange is a really nice earth color. The ivory seems more oyster in the picture, but it could just be the lighting. I adore the orange though!

I don't do too well with button down shirts. I always get this gap in the fullest part of my chest. Even something that is big does that! I am noticing that the upper body is where I am seeing the most results of my exercise. Or should I say from the waist up? Either way though, I would love not to be so top heavy, and be able to wear shirts with buttons.

I have that Eddie Bauer skort! I'm lucky, my daughter gets a discount. The sand like color is now too big on me, but my daughter says the outlet store she works at is carrying a mushroom color. I think that will work really well for me, so I'm going to get it in a few weeks. It hasn't been warm enough here to wear anything like that yet anyway. :p It is supposed to get nicer this week though!

I love the other two skorts too. The Athleta one really caught my eye, because I've never seen that styling in a skort before. Unfortunately, I wouldn't wear any of those colors. I agree, the olive would be great!!

I found a pair of peach ankle length capris at Kohl's this weekend. Actually, I found them about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I was excited that things were starting to get loose, and I didn't just go down a size, I went down two sizes when buying them. It didn't help that they are listed as "skinny fit". Anyway, I exchanged them for the proper size. As it turns out, I stopped in Target on the way home, and they had their tank tops and t-shirts on sale. Like Anita, I pretty much only buy Merona. The other brand (Mossimo, or something like that) just doesn't have the same quality.

Talk about a variety of earth tones! Hard to find things too! I got a dark rust shirt in the same fabric as my recent olive one, and I love it. It is nice enough that I could get away with under a jacket for work, I think. They had this heathered gold color, and a bunch of others. If you are need a Target, I'd get right over there. You can't beat the color selection, or the price.

We have a Chico's outlet at the mall, but I haven't shopped their yet. The sizing is kind of different. I think I will have to try some things on to figure out what my number is. I wonder why they don't just use standard sizing?

We have a Chico's outlet at the mall, but I haven't shopped their yet. The sizing is kind of different. I think I will have to try some things on to figure out what my number is. I wonder why they don't just use standard sizing?

IMO the do the sizing that way to make women feel smaller so instead of 14-16 you are a 3 . 2 is 10-12 . 1 is 6-8 and they also now have 11/2 & 2 1/2 not sure what they are . Chico's pants are great . They have the perfect amount of stretch . I also love their jewelry .

I will have to check out what they have then, Sally. I have found that almost all my clothes have been from Eddie Bauer, DressBarn and NY&CO. It goes without saying that I get a discount at two of the three stores because my daughters work there, lol. But the truth is, they have what I am looking for. With NY&Co., I find that their dress pants fit me really nice, and at I've been able to find various shades of brown and beige that are warm. I have a handful of shirts from their as well. Both NY&Co. and Dressbarn have nice jewelry, and I love jewelry so it's perfect for me.

That being said, I've been trying to find different places to shop. I like Kohls, but it's a bit out of my way to go to. I also find the store to have an overabundance of black and gray, so it all depends on when I go there or shop online. That is where the animal print dress and the bronze like one are from. Both were fabulous clearance deals and were under $20.00 each.

I'm going to look into Land's End online, and maybe LL Bean? I used to shop at Chadwicks online quite a bit, but I think the prices are going up, but not the quality or selection. They do tend to have some nice blazers though, which are good for work. JC Penney is hit or miss too.

Oh how I love that animal print swimsuit Laurie!!! I wish it wasn't so expensive because I would buy that in a heartbeat. It's beautiful. I love the neckline because I have an issue with straps falling off my shoulders and that looks like it would work perfectly for me. Plus it's animal print. And I wouldn't mind covering the girls a bit more sometimes. I have a solid black suit that is very cleavage enhancing so that animal print suit would be a perfect alternative. Sigh. Money is the only (well... and the shape of my body... lol) issue since I don't wear swimsuits all that often.

I just bought 3 pairs of keds type tennis shoes online through Payless. I don't need high quality shoes since I don't really walk in them, but I do like shoes that look decent and are comfortable. I should be receiving them by Thursday. I got a purple lace pair, a red plaid and a pair of black with daisies on them. They should be fun with jeans and casual sun dresses. The sale they had was awesome -- I paid less than $30 for all of them including the shipping.

I have been working a ton the past couple of weeks and I must say I am exhausted. Today is my only real day off this week and I need to get so much done but all I want to do is sit in my pajamas and read a book. LOL. But that isn't getting groceries in my house or laundry done. Ugh.

Welcome back from San Diego, Mousey. Will you have any free time on your next Arizona trips? Would still love to meet you!!!

Laurie -- your trip is coming up so fast. I can't wait to hear about it.

Ugh...can you believe it..I have the freak'n flu! I haven't had the flu in so many years that I didn't remember how debilitating it could be until I woke up on Sat. morning feeling like I had been hit by a Mac truck!! It's Wen. and I'm still very sick. But I had promised to get back to Laurie about San Diego so I'm taking a second here to give out some info. This will be brief because I'm really feeling weak. Sounds pathetic right...LOL! Dang flu! And yes, I did get my flu shot!!! Go figure!

Laurie,

It was very cool near the water at the hotel where we stayed (just remember anything 65 or under is cool to me). But as I walked about 6 blocks away from the water it got a little warmer. On the drive to and while in town on Wed., I wore a pair of skinny jeans, with an over-sized, heavy, thick cotton knit sweater with a camisole under it. I also wore my short Ugg boots with the silver studs on them because I knew I would be walking a lot. I was dressed perfectly for the 63 degree weather (for me anyway). I didn't change in the evening, though it had gotten cold (well to me anyway...I want to say it was about 53-55) when I had dinner with the DH, my niece, and her adorable boyfriend. The next morning it was cooler and very overcast. For breakfast out and the drive home, I wore another pair of skinny jeans with a long-sleeved, white t-shirt type top, with my short, black leather, motorcycle jacket. Again perfect for me in about 60 degree weather. I wore a pair of black, studded sneakers that I love even though they are way to big but comfortable none-the-less with thick cotton socks. I'm such a fashionista that yes, I bought them too big. Hey, they were one-of-a-kind at a resale shop near where I live. LOL! Had to have them. I of course wore my favorite black, wool cap on both days because you guys know I have thin hair. The DH loved the outfits but did not like the fact that my hairdresser had blown my hair dry...he likes my natural curls better. Other than that, I was happy with my choices and was very comfortable in them given what I considered to be cool weather. Did some shopping but more on that later. Be prepared for something that I wasn't...lots of homeless people, drug addicts, and alcoholics on the side streets. No one bothered me but I didn't feel 100% comfortable with it. I guess I'm just not used to living in the big city anymore. Also, when we went to the restaurant to have dinner with my niece we were seated at a booth next to a big window. As we were being seated I looked out and noticed about 6-7 raggedy-dressed men standing right outside the window. I don't know what their situation was but I felt very uncomfortable eating in front of what could be homeless people. How horrible to not be able to buy them all a meal and just sit there and eat steaks and all the fixings right in front of them. That to me would be terribly cruel and thoughtless. So I asked for us to be seated elsewhere. The waitress told me that no one had ever cared about those people being out there before. But how the heck could you NOT care.

Laurie, I checked the extended forecast for San Diego and it's all over the place! It bounces back and forth from the mid 80s on a few days to the mid 70s. Then it goes down to the high 70s to the mid 60s then back up to the mid 70s again. My best advice is to check the weather before you leave to decide on what outfits to where for your stay there because really...the weather just fluctuates so much. I would suggest you bring a small umbrella because in San Diego you just never know. It sprinkled a little on Thurs. but never did rain hard at all. I hope this helps some.

Margaret,

I've never worn a skort but the ones you show look really cute. Wish I didn't have such chubby thighs or I'd definitely try them. That's why I'm a Capri-wearing gal all the way. LOL!

ChollaChic,

I loved to meet you too. We'll be in Tucson in very soon packing up the DS to move home and for his trip to Argentina for the summer. Depending on how long that all takes maybe we could meet you on the way back home at a Crack Barrel near the 10 freeway if that's not to far for you. I'll let you know for sure as the time gets near. If you want to give me your e-mail address we could work out the details for where and when to meet. I think it would be awesome. You crazy animal-print loving gal. Anything animal print is okay by me. I loved that swimsuit also. You so remind me of my best friend that lives in Tucson. Like you she is way younger than me but age doesn't matter to us. I don't think it does to you either.

Edited by mousey

Laurie,

I reread my post but it was too late to edit it more. I don't want to discourage you from San Diego. It's a fantastic place and my niece loves living there. She doesn't live in the downtown/Gas Lamp District though. My DH says I'm being a bit naive not expecting to see homeless people downtown. He says we have the same problem in the Santa Monica area near the beach and he's right. Like I said, I've just been living in the mountains for too long. I guess you just get used to something you see all the time in your own area (though I don't live in Santa Monica) and when you go somewhere else it stands out a lot more. San Diego is really a beautiful place and not at all unlike other big cities concerning the things I saw.

Anyway San Diego is really unique and there are like a gazillion fun things to do there. Don't let my naive observations spoil your fun. And by-the-way, the restaurant we ate at was a little bit off the beaten path so keep that in mind. You may not have the same experience as me.

Oh geez, I just realized my Freudian Slip asking ChollaChick to maybe meet at a "Crack Barrel" instead of the Cracker Barrel. It must be the cough medicine affecting my brain!

Edited by mousey

Mousey, I'm so sorry to hear you have the flu. That's a miserable thing, and spring illnesses seem to be so much worse, don't they? Something about the contrast between the beautiful weather outside and how crappy you feel inside.

I could relate to your comments about the homeless situation. You would think that living in New York that it would be an issue I face often, but it's really not. I was actually surprised by the homeless population in Houston. I think in warmer climates it is easier to get by outdoors, where as here we must make an effort to house homeless people to save them from the winter weather. It can be disconcerting to be enjoying your hard-earned treats while homeless people are struggling right outside your window. Our strategy is to focus on the help we are providing them through our tax dollars and charitable donations. I realize I cannot save them all from the choices they have made. That doesn't make me unsympathetic or ungenerous, I just try to channel my efforts in a way that I believe is helpful and not enabling. JMHO.

When I read Crack Barrel I laughed so loud. I thought you meant it... all that gravy and butter is like crack. We always want to eat there when there is one around. So funny. :D

Barbara, your shoes sound like lots of fun. How is your job going? You seemed dissatisfied a couple of months back. Aside from the work load, is it getting any better? How was the wedding? What did you wear??

We just got two invites this week for black tie weddings in June. One is at 4pm and one is at 6pm. Neither are gown-worthy. I have some time to think about what to wear. I should wear sleeves but I might scandalize the in-laws and wear a sheath dress.

"I'm going to look into Land's End online, and maybe LL Bean? I used to shop at Chadwicks online quite a bit, but I think the prices are going up, but not the quality or selection. They do tend to have some nice blazers though, which are good for work. JC Penney is hit or miss too."

Laurie, I think Lands End's products are finally getting a bit more interesting, and certainly their colors are more fun. I have trouble with the fit, but probably 90% of DH's clothes come from them. For me, LL Bean works better but their selection isn't as interesting to me. I agree with you about Penneys. I used to shop there often but lately, aside from the Liz Claiborne line, I don't find much I like. The colors have gotten very loud.

I finally organized all the fashion photos I've accumulated in the last couple of months, so hopefully this weekend I can share some. In the meantime, check out these GORGEOUS green Tahitian pearls:

greenpearls.jpg

And these awesome red sunglasses from Calvin Klein:

CalvinKlein.jpg

Oh my. Expensive!! :eek:

First Margaret, I love, love, love those pearls. Those are just gorgeous. Those would be so much fun to own!

Mousey, you haven't discouraged me concerning San Diego. I'm really only there overnight, to begin with. But we have homeless people here in the city. Overall, you don't see them congregating near businesses, but they tend to stand at the exits of the highway, with signs made from pieces of cardboard. They say things like "homeless, don't smoke, don't drink. Please help" They pretty much live under the overpasses of the highway, but go to shelters during our brutally cold winters - at night. They are out holding their signs during the day. I find it difficult, but I'm often confused too. I try to figure out how they fall through the loophole. I donate to the Rescue Mission, to the Food Bank, and things like that.

All that being said, I have heard people say that for some, it's a choice. I can't imagine being that alone in the world.

I thought maybe you were making fun of Cracker Barrel, lol. That was pretty darned funny. I'll never look at that place in the same way again!

I have found Friday night weddings to be very elegant and formal. Most other weddings have been the opposite. We don't have much in the way of weddings this year, except for one in early fall at a vineyard. I'm pretty sure it will be fairly informal. It will be fun to figure out what to wear, once I get the actual invitation. So far, we just have a save the date card.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that even though I haven't lost a great deal of weight, maybe ten pounds, I have firmed up considerably. My clothes are getting loose or big, depending on how they fit before. This is where the bad new comes in...remember my beloved red dress? It's too big. :(:( This is one dress that will be taken to the tailor! I can't get rid of the dress, I'm way too attached. The seams are easy to take in. The shoulders will be a little bit harder, which is why I want to bring it to my tailor. I'm going to wait a bit though, and see where I end up.

Laurie , Congratulations on your body change ! When I was losing weight I waited until I had gone down a full size before I bought new clothes . I eventually had to replace my whole wardrobe . I sold some on ebay . The rest went to good will & then I bought new . I find with swimming that my old lady arms are getting toned just in time for summer .

Warning!!!! I'm having a "Pity Party For One"...LOL!

I was doing really well getting back to the gym and going to classes. Them my cousin had the brain surgery and now I'm sick so I haven't been to the gym going on almost 2 months. So...and I know this is "sick"...no pun intended...but I hope I loss weight from being sick. Kind of pathetic right? I'm now afraid that this flu/cold/whatever it is...may turn into bronchitis (which my mom's side of the family seems prone to). This has happened so many times in the past to me. Sometimes, if that happens, I'll be sick off and on for 2 -3 months. I just pray that I don't get bronchitis. I've got to move the DS and see him off to Argentina in 2 weeks and then head to FL to visit the folks the next weekend for about 10 days. I mentioned that my dad's bladder cancer is now starting to affect him (he's had it operated on twice but know the doctor says there is nothing they can do given his age (89). He could last another 5 years or go tomorrow. I'm preparing myself for this as much as a "daddy's girl" can. My beloved mom is now also not doing well. Her blood sugar spiked up to 368 and then went down to 69. That's bad news! She's been on insulin for years for Type 2 Diabetes...such a nasty thing to deal with. I've got so much to do. And then I promised my cousin I would take her to her radiation therapy visit. Ugh...I can't let her down she's been through so much. This is not meant to be a complaint just explaining what I'm going through. It's just stuff you have to deal with when you get older. I'm just going to suck it up and be there for my family...they need me.

So...pity party of one is now over!!!! LOL!

Margaret...loved the pearls but the Red Sunglasses...OMG! They are a must have!!!!

Laurie...Glad I didn't sour you on San Diego...you're going to have fun there I know...don't forget the umbrella! ;)

I'm so excited for your weight loss and though I know you love that red dress...losing weight is going to make you feel much better in the long run!

Keep up the great work. I'll get back to the gym eventually.;)

Sailor Sally...I'm so envious of your firmed up arms!!! That's one of the things I was working on when I had to stop going. You're an inspiration...maybe when I'm feeling better I can at least do some dumbbell work for a few minutes at home. Congratulations on your now "Not Old Lady Arms"...LOL!;)

Edited by mousey

I'm having a "Pity Party For One"...LOL! I was doing really well getting back to the gym and going to classes. Them my cousin had the brain surgery and now I'm sick so I haven't been to the gym going on almost 2 months. So...and I know this is "sick"...no pun intended...but I hope I loss weight from being sick. Kind of pathetic right. I'm now afraid that this flu/cold/whatever it is...may turn into bronchitis (which my mom's side of the family seems prone to). This has happened so many times in the past to me. Sometimes, if that happens, I'll be sick off and on for 2 -3 months sometimes. Pls. pray for me that I don't get bronchitis. I've got to move the DS and see him off to Argentina in 2 weeks and then head to FL to visit the folks the next weekend for about 10 days. I mentioned that my dad's bladder cancer is now starting to affect him (he's had it operated on twice but now the doctor says there is nothing they can do given his age (89). He could last another couple of years or go tomorrow. I'm preparing myself for this as much as a "daddy's girl" can. My beloved mom is now also not doing well. Her blood sugar spiked up to 368 and then went down to 69. That's bad news! She's been on insulin for years for Type 2 Diabetes...such a nasty thing to deal with. My mom is my idol...I can't even tell you how much I admire and adore her.

I've got so much to do. And then I promised my cousin I would take her to her radiation therapy visits. I can't let her down she's been through so much both physically and emotionally. This is not meant to be a list of complaints, just explaining what I'm going through. It's just stuff you have to deal with when you get older. I'm just going to suck it up and be there for my family...they need me. No Bronchitis! No Bronchitis! Lol!

Okay, pity party of one is now over!!!!

Margaret...loved the pearls but the Red Sunglasses...OMG! They are a must have!!!!

Laurie...Glad I didn't sour you on San Diego...you're going to have fun there I know...don't forget the umbrella! ;)

I'm so excited for your weight loss and though I know you love that red dress...losing weight is going to make you feel much better in the long run!

Keep up the great work!.;)

Sailor Sally,

Great job on firming up those arms! That's my goal also when I get back to the gym...and I will. Kudos to you! ;)

Edited by mousey

Geez, sorry ladies, I was editing my post and when I reread it I sounded like such a "Sad Sack!" But something happened and I posted twice instead. Go figure...you guys know how bad I am at this stuff!:eek:

When you see that I've edited my post...it's mostly to correct grammar and stuff like that. And sometimes to edit because I type everything I have in my brain and then feel the need to "not be boring" and I'll edit out half of what I typed.:D

Mousey , Sorry you are sick & Sorry you have so much on your plate with your parents & your cousin. To make you feel better my arms are slightly toned but still have some of that old lady flap .

You're so funny...I have lots of that old lady flap! LOL!

Thanks for your kind thoughts. You know Sally there are many that have greater problems than me so I don't really feel sorry for myself. There's always good with bad. For example...I got great news from my cousin today...she got on the same flight to FL as the DH and me. We all have aisle seats. The DH and I are across from each other and her's is two rows behind us. We had bought our tickets weeks ago and I didn't think there was a chance that she could get a seat that this late date...but she did! I'm so excited because I was worried about her having to fly alone as she still has a tendency to get confused a bit. Plus, we'll be able to get together at my parents' house for a nice dinner. She and her two brothers are my mom's, sister's kids so we are all very very close. The DH is going to change seats with her so she'll be across from me. As it's a day flight...he'll be working on his computer for most of it anyway. And as he'll be only two seats back...I can easily get some food and cookies to him. It's all good!

As for my folks...how can I complain when I've had them in my life for going on 69 years! That would be greedy! Plus I have the joy of knowing that in Nov. they'll be celebrating 70 years of marriage! Yep...it's all good.

I hope Anita is having fun! Looking forward to seeing picks of her outfit choices.

Same thing with Laurie. She's off on her adventure soon.

So happy to have such nice Cyber Friends!:D

Edited by mousey

Mousey, I feel bad...I completely forgot to tell you that I hope you feel better! Having the flu is awful. It can be very debilitating at times.

An umbrella is definitely something that we plan on bringing with us on our trip. My husband and I were talking the other night about luggage weight and so forth. I do my best to limit myself to a daytime outfit and a dinner dress. I try to narrow down my choices so that I'm bringing as few shoes as I can. He told me that we will do the best we can. If our luggage is overweight, then so be it.

I was just trying on my dresses. I have to make a change, and fortunately it's a fairly new dress with tags still on that isn't making the cut. The good news is that I need a smaller size. That is always a good thing. Since it is the turquoise dress from DressBarn, my daughter is going to exchange it for me. In the event they don't have my size, I will still return the dress and look for something else. They had some cute things when I was in there last, and my daughter said that some of the newer items are a bit earthier, or at least toned down fire, if that make sense to any of you. The brightness level isn't as strong, but they aren't fully muted.

I do my best to stick to my colors, because I can see the difference when I look in the mirror. The funny thing is that the one dress I have that isn't earth, even though it has small amounts of earth tones in it, is going on the cruise.

I was just reading over on the fire thread, but didn't have a chance to post. Kim is discussing a 12 season color theory. I think I read up on something like that before...I find it interesting. I think if you take me, Anita, and Margaret, for example, we are all earth but certain colors may look better on Anita than Margaret, or better on Margaret than me, etc. For me, I do try to find those "best" colors first and then go to the other colors in the group.

Oh, and I have wing flaps. You know, those arm thingies. I love nautilus at the gym, so I'm working on them. I think I have smaller wing flaps now, lol. But I don't have the arms I would like to have. Remember the Terminator movie? I'm trying to remember the actress' name, but her arms in that movie....wow.

Mousey, I feel bad...I completely forgot to tell you that I hope you feel better! Having the flu is awful. It can be very debilitating at times.

An umbrella is definitely something that we plan on bringing with us on our trip. My husband and I were talking the other night about luggage weight and so forth. I do my best to limit myself to a daytime outfit and a dinner dress. I try to narrow down my choices so that I'm bringing as few shoes as I can. He told me that we will do the best we can. If our luggage is overweight, then so be it.

I was just trying on my dresses. I have to make a change, and fortunately it's a fairly new dress with tags still on that isn't making the cut. The good news is that I need a smaller size. That is always a good thing. Since it is the turquoise dress from DressBarn, my daughter is going to exchange it for me. In the event they don't have my size, I will still return the dress and look for something else. They had some cute things when I was in there last, and my daughter said that some of the newer items are a bit earthier, or at least toned down fire, if that make sense to any of you. The brightness level isn't as strong, but they aren't fully muted.

I do my best to stick to my colors, because I can see the difference when I look in the mirror. The funny thing is that the one dress I have that isn't earth, even though it has small amounts of earth tones in it, is going on the cruise.

I was just reading over on the fire thread, but didn't have a chance to post. Kim is discussing a 12 season color theory. I think I read up on something like that before...I find it interesting. I think if you take me, Anita, and Margaret, for example, we are all earth but certain colors may look better on Anita than Margaret, or better on Margaret than me, etc. For me, I do try to find those "best" colors first and then go to the other colors in the group.

Oh, and I have wing flaps. You know, those arm thingies. I love nautilus at the gym, so I'm working on them. I think I have smaller wing flaps now, lol. But I don't have the arms I would like to have. Remember the Terminator movie? I'm trying to remember the actress' name, but her arms in that movie....wow.

Her name was Linda Hamilton...I don't why I can remember her name but just forgot what I came into the guest room for...LOL!

Lucky you that you need to return a dress because you've lost weight and it doesn't fit. I've lost a couple of pounds but not in a healthy way...it's from the flu. This flu has kicked my butt big time!