All things EARTH...

Margaret, I love the outfit with the orange skinny jeans. I am thinking that it does give an earthy vibe. I am also thinking how nice it will look for fall. I can see this with booties instead of sandals, for example.

And I don't even know where to begin with the next post. So many great colors! Those green pants, the chocolate suede jacket. That Bulgari ad though. I have a thing for red! Wow!

Melody, the skort is cute. I'm going to have to look that color up on the Athleta website. From your picture, it looked like air, I think?

Melody...the confusion with a fabric like the Athleta skort comes in with the undertone.

I believe that the base color of the skort is "Marsala" as defined by Pantone:

http://www.pantone.com/pages/index.aspx?pg=21163&from=hpfeatures

Marsala is in both the Spring 2015 colors and the Fall 2015 colors.

Marsala alone could be an Earth color. The description on the Pantone site as an "Earthy red brown" certainly sounds like Earth. It just depends on how the fabric takes the dye and the particular dye batch...whether or not it ends up being more warm or cool.

There is a kind of "black" or "gray" undertone to the Black Currant color of the Athleta skort that changes the way that the color "reads." At least online.

This could be a result of the shine of the fabric, which often introduces a grayish cast when light hits it...similar to the way that skin can shine "white" and not flesh colored in the light. OR...it could just be the variant of "marsala" that Athleta developed and called "Black Currant".

The following link shows how "Marsala" can be translated into variants of that color:

http://luanaviana.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/cor-pantone-2015-marsala-003.jpg

The far left and the second from the right are looking very Earthy. Very rich and warm. The Kiera Knightly dress (the second from the left), however, paired with the black accessories has that "gray cast" to it that is making it read cooler...and more Air-like. The way the color reads feels more like overcast and cool. It's kind of "frosty."

This photo show that same Knightly dress is different light...not as frosty but still having that black/gray undertone:

https://silhouettetrends.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/red_carpet_style_original.jpg?w=640

I think the Athleta skort is a deeper color than Knightly's dress...but it seems to have a similar undertone...more black than gray, and thus deeper and darker. But still. It is the undertone that is pushes it into the cool side and bringing up all the comments that it appears to be Air.

Now we have experienced how things can vary IRL...but the picture you posted pairing the skort with an cool purple and black accessory...which complements the skirt nicely...lends itself to reinforcing the impression of cool instead of warm...Air instead of Earth.

It's just an example of how you can't make a blanket statement about color and expect that any version of that color will be one element. Marsala could be any Season/Element depending on the dye-lot and variant. This is kind of a fun search result to see all the different Marsalas and many photos of the same dress in different lights and how the look can vary:

https://www.google.com/search?q=marsala&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMItt7ZjsmcxwIVBZANCh1iNgrJ#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACc86XzJgx7E2IjgHj8zRuRd6n5rS-T09vG-J_18jEn8BsGym4nAZknZkeSRgssYXnfwEUEM7UYxRYTzOILVocoWghiSoSCQePzNG5F3qfEcnc0pbpiUxbKhIJmtL5PT28b4kRcoNd4t9az4gqEgn_1yMSfwGwbKRH-xPnz8qIikSoSCbicBmSdmR5JEQd375NWBeS2KhIJGCyxhed_1ARQR89714uraMuMqEgkQztRjFFhPMxHQK6STv0USgioSCYgtWhyhaCGJEbX9SD-V50P5&q=marsala&imgrc=_

I hope that helps with the confusion.

Such a gorgeous color!!

Margaret...I just love it when you share. It was so funny to see the green pants and the blue jacket...that is the exact color combination that I wore today...a green skirt and a blue tank...

Paired with my new sandals!! Which did indeed turn out to be Earth. I haven't posted a photo yet because I need the one strap on the sandal to stretch just a bit. They are leather and so they should have a little give. They are comfortable BUT they do make my toes look a little swished (because my foot is a little wider than normal...but not wide). Once the give has given and my foot doesn't have that look...I'll share. :D

Anyone need a teal sandal though...I saw that 6pm had the same sandal.

http://www.6pm.com/naturalizer-harrison-caravan-sand-leather?zlfid=192&ref=pd_sims_p_emr_1

The color is totally Earth IRL. Notice the gold rim around the footbed...these are nicer, could be dressier sandals.

Anita, I love that color combo and I think those outfits show that EARTH doesn't mean dressing in muddy boring colors. Did you see that she's wearing leopard socks? SO fun.

My recent shoe purchase:

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-haley-stork-pewter

I like my mushroom pants and capris for summer, rather than chocolate brown, and these shoes go perfectly. My pewter sandals are almost shot so these will be a great fall replacement.

Pewters can be very silver or very warm. The Clarks pewter is a perfect neutral.

Margaret, those shoes are cute! They look like they would be very comfortable.

Since our Lake Placid long weekend isn't that far away, I've been thinking a bit about what I will be bringing along with me. when you get up in altitude, it tends to be cooler. We will be there mid September, so it should very likely be what I call sweater weather. It will be casual, but a great opportunity to wear those outfits we all like when looking through magazines - effortless, but pulled together. I have a new pair of straight legged jeans with a darker finish, and a longer rust colored cardigan sweater...I'm thinking of scarves, some necklaces...I have two pair of boots, one in a chocolate brown and another pair that are brown, but have this weathered look to them. I keep thinking about how Margaret just described those shoes as neutral. That is what I think of with these boots. I tend to make sure the rest of my outfit is in really good earth tones so that they work well.

It is a lot of fun to head out for dinner, and feel pulled together. Lake Placid is a great area in the Adirondacks, with good restaurants, two wine taking rooms for some Finger Lakes wineries, little shops, Whiteface Mountain, and lots of Olympic related things. It's just a nice place to get away to. We haven't been there in around 3-4 years. We were going every year in the fall but haven been taking short cruises the past few years. Lake Placid has some expensive resorts, and a few nicer hotels in the upper price range. Then there are those places that you don't mind for an overnight stay, but they just don't cut it when you are there a few days, you know? So we stay at the Courtyard by Marriott.

If our timing is right, you will be able to see some great autumn foliage when I post pictures.

This picture here is from one of our first trips there:

Lake%20Placid_zpsudu4cytl.jpg

Anita, I really like those sandals. I have a wide foot, so I often have to buy a half size up. I noticed too that there are about 3 colors that could work for us - that teal color, the warm ivory and khaki type color.

One of my favorite pair of sandals that I wore into the ground were a pair I didn't think I'd get much out of. There were these thin straps in different shades of rust and gold and tan, and they were really muted and warm. I still have them, but I had to glue them back together at one point so I wear them close to home only. I'd be in a bit of a bind if I was on a cruise in port and they broke!

I'm also realizing the value of straps on sandals. I tend to migrate towards things that slip on, but I find it stressful for the foot - it's like I'm trying to hold the shoe on. It just isn't good for a lot of walking.

As much as I like the olive green leggings at Athleta, I can't bring myself to pay $79.00 for them. Even if they go on sale, I don't think they'd be very affordable. Maybe as clearance, if they are still available. But that won't be before the Lake Placid trip!

Hi Ladies! Trying to read back and catch up. I see there's a new name or two? Hooray! The ladies here are ever so helpful. I keep looking and some of my favorite clothes were earth and some were air (I think). But today I HAD to buy a bathing suit at Walmart (bleccch), if I just wanted to make sure I had one, ugly or not. So here's a question. I'm not sized "normal". I'm 5 foot tall, have skinny legs, small hips, a granny belly, and have always had boobs that were "uncomfortable". I go on a diet when the 38d bras get too tight. For whatever reason, that's where the weight goes first. But they've pretty much been that way since I was 14. I've always been very self conscious. This is probably why I hate buying clothes. Nothing fits and and the twins hang out. I almost have to buy seperates. I despise trying on clothes, but I don't have much choice. Does any one have this big bososm problem? Cause I could really use some tips besides big shirts. I'm feeling like an old trucker hag lately, and that's gotta change.

So here's a question. I'm not sized "normal". I'm 5 foot tall, have skinny legs, small hips, a granny belly, and have always had boobs that were "uncomfortable". I go on a diet when the 38d bras get too tight. For whatever reason, that's where the weight goes first. But they've pretty much been that way since I was 14. I've always been very self conscious. This is probably why I hate buying clothes. Nothing fits and and the twins hang out. I almost have to buy seperates. I despise trying on clothes, but I don't have much choice. Does any one have this big bososm problem? Cause I could really use some tips besides big shirts. I'm feeling like an old trucker hag lately, and that's gotta change.

Hi ! Nobody is sized perfect but IMO you would look great in leggings & a tunic top .The leggings would show off your skinny legs & the tunic would hide your other problems .

Granny, I also have the chest going on...long tops or tunics & either leggings or slim cut jeans look best on me. Kohls, Dillard's & Macy's have huge sales on swimwear & I got several really pretty swim tops & board shorts for under $30 (for both pieces) & I'm a 40DD. Good luck. Melody

Another thought is to balance yourself out a bit to avoid an upside triangle. In pants, boot leg jeans have this affect. With a bathing suit I would look at a skirted bottom. With a little searching, you can find a lot of cute ones that are no frumpy. You don't want a long skirt - shirt and sassy will do it! I'm quite top heavy too. I was a 40DD and I'm down from that size but still way "uneven". I prefer not to emphasize it, but create an illusion of balance.

Anita, just saw the portion about the purple & black scarf I had on with the Athleta black currant skort. Too funny. The scarf is shades of burgundy & eggplant & greens. No black or purple in it. Shows how IRL varies from computer/IPad monitors. Melody

Edited by awhfy

Anita, just saw the portion about the purple & black scarf I had on with the Athleta black currant skort. Too funny. The scarf is shades of burgundy & eggplant & greens. No black or purple in it. Shows how IRL varies from computer/IPad monitors. Melody

I don't know if you read the FIRE thread, Melody, but did you notice the different colors of the two green tops that Anita posted there today? With the control of EARTH beside it, you can tell that the top on the left is definitely FIRE, but each picture on my monitor showed the FIRE green a little differently. One picture showed the khaki skirt/shorts, one was a close-up with just the two tops showing, and one picture had those gorgeous sunglasses. Pictures of me look much different according to the background colors too.

This is such a learning process.

Definitely...this is the danger of online shopping.

I have a hard time with a lot of your photos Melody because they are so small. That could be a factor too.

Debbie...that's why I kept taking more photos of that shirt! Because it kept looking slightly different in each one and I wasn't sure if any of them would be a great representation of reality...but at least there was a variety to see if it was a color of interest. :)

Nothing fits and and the twins hang out. I almost have to buy seperates. I despise trying on clothes, but I don't have much choice. Does any one have this big bososm problem? Cause I could really use some tips besides big shirts. I'm feeling like an old trucker hag lately, and that's gotta change.

Another thought is to balance yourself out a bit to avoid an upside triangle. In pants, boot leg jeans have this affect. With a bathing suit I would look at a skirted bottom. With a little searching, you can find a lot of cute ones that are no frumpy. You don't want a long skirt - shirt and sassy will do it! I'm quite top heavy too. I was a 40DD and I'm down from that size but still way "uneven". I prefer not to emphasize it, but create an illusion of balance.

Granny, I sometimes wear the skinny jeans/leggings with long tunic combo that is popular these days, but agree with Laurie that trying to balance out the bottom and top feels like it looks better for me. I'm an inverted triangle too (38DD) but my middle is my biggest struggle. I wear zip-up cardigan style rashguard unzipped over my bathing suit (it creates that narrow line of color down my middle--very camouflaging) and a skirt made from the same material as guys swim trunks these days. Quick-dry A-line that stops a few inches short of my knees; looks cute as a button and makes me feel pretty as well as covered up enough. I can wear both straight into the water, or take them off depending upon my comfort level at the time. The rashguard is actually cooler if I get it wet and keep it on. No sunscreen issues to deal with either.

My go-to for bathing suits is LandsEnd. Yes, they are pricey, but they come in underwire (a MUST) and cup sizes. I try to purchase this time of year when they are on clearance and wear them until the elastic is gone. Also, read how they are constructed, but usually the mastectomy tops have a removable insert that give more room for our girls and are constructed to cover scars so they provide more modesty at the neckline. I sound like a prude, and I'm not, but I don't want anything falling out and showing from either end of my beginning-to-wrinkle self.

Whether you talk here, on the FIRE thread, or the AIR or ICE thread, I'm just glad you and other ladies have decided to join us. I don't want to confuse the new folks discussing my FIRE colors on this thread, so I try to keep those discussions in the right spot, but I have a tendency to forget which thread I'm on. Ya'll please forgive me if I do, and remind me, ok? --Debbie

Edited by aoknkentucky

Debbie...that's why I kept taking more photos of that shirt! Because it kept looking slightly different in each one and I wasn't sure if any of them would be a great representation of reality...but at least there was a variety to see if it was a color of interest. :)

Definitely a color of interest, Anita. Thanks so much. Green is my next favorite color behind purple. Believe it or not, my closest Target is an hour's drive, but there's always online, right? Thanks, again.

I have a hard time with a lot of your photos Melody because they are so small. That could be a factor too.

Melody, get that lady some bigger pictures!!!!

Edited by aoknkentucky

Thanks folks. Years ago, the leggings sweater tunic thing was in style. I liked that, it worked for me. I live in a bubble, I have no idea what's "in style" and I don't care anymore. BUT I need to find some goal in my limited clothes purchases. I can't become a trucker hag.

Granny...a friend of mine has your same body type. She wears a lot of the tunic and leggings style. In summer, the tunics are very dress like and she might add some lightweight capri length leggings and some comfy sandal like shoes. In winter, the tunics could be long sweaters or a shirt with a cardigan (like Debbie says...adding that cardigan line to the torso can really be flattering) and boots of all sorts.

She also makes good use of long necklaces and scarves and other similar accessories to create a "V" in the absence of a second layer. That line really helps to break up the upper real estate, so to speak.

Also...be sure to pay attention to your neckline. No one wants to be overexposed, but if you have too high a neckline, then the covered upper chest above the girls can make them seem even bigger than they are. A nice scoop neck or V-neck is usually more flattering than a crew.

And personally, I like a halter top style also, like Laurie has recently been wearing in the dresses. It's like opposite world on the V-neck, breaking up the body in a slightly different way to achieve the same purpose.

The one thing to pay attention to if you wear tanks tops or other sleeveless tops... Watch how the straps hit you. If the straps aren't set closer to the edge of your shoulder...if they are more in the middle of your shoulder or closer to your neck...that emphasizes the size of the girls. So go for wide set shoulder straps.

Another thing to pay attention to is the sleeves of any shirt. You never, ever, Never, EVER want the sleeves to end at the widest part of your bust. That will just make you look that much wider there. To the elbow is very flattering. If shorter, the most flattering would be the kind of sleeve that is on an angle at the hem not cut straight across.

Here's a real short and simple talk about sleeves:

http://hourglassy.com/2013/04/big-busts-and-sleeve-length-choice/

Also...wanted to say. There are some shirts out there that have a wide band at the bottom? I found several at Kohls. They end up being sort of fitted at the bottom and then blousey on the torso. You can put that fitted band at whatever point is most flattering and let everyone see that you do have slimmer hips...but then the loose portion of the shirt hides the tummy nicely.

Just watch the neckline and have the shirt be not too loose on the bust and it's very flattering. IMO. I bought a couple recently. And I think Debbie chimed in to say that she really likes wearing that style too. :)

I think some of these are AIR:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2118079/ab-studio-textured-banded-bottom-top-womens.jsp

I know the silver is Air, even though the necklace is gold (the necklace is removable):

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2118043/ab-studio-space-dye-necklace-top-womens.jsp

I'm sure there is more...I just wanted to show what I was talking about.

Have i mentioned that ya all are awesome? Thanks Anita and all! I don't want to turn into a frumpy dumpy old lady. I have to figure out some clothing options. Those tops look like they would work for me. Living in a truck, it pretty much has to be wash and wear. I do love kohls and dilliards, its just hard for me to get to one. I can't order online, nothing ever fits. I really appreciate some direction. I do have the opportunity to check out little local boutique type stores now and then with fun items you won't find anywhere else.

Also...be sure to pay attention to your neckline. No one wants to be overexposed, but if you have too high a neckline, then the covered upper chest above the girls can make them seem even bigger than they are. A nice scoop neck or V-neck is usually more flattering than a crew.

The one thing to pay attention to if you wear tanks tops or other sleeveless tops... Watch how the straps hit you. If the straps aren't set closer to the edge of your shoulder...if they are more in the middle of your shoulder or closer to your neck...that emphasizes the size of the girls. So go for wide set shoulder straps.

Another thing to pay attention to is the sleeves of any shirt. You never, ever, Never, EVER want the sleeves to end at the widest part of your bust. That will just make you look that much wider there. To the elbow is very flattering. If shorter, the most flattering would be the kind of sleeve that is on an angle at the hem not cut straight across.

Wow! Such great information. You know… living in Opposite World, the way that I do, I can use all that reverse logic to make me look like less of a stick. I think someone on here called me a "twig". :D

Live and learn…. live and learn.