All things EARTH...

Mousey. Heart in my throat. I do have to say that, for the first time, I was glad that you didn't know how to post a picture. There are some things that I just don't want to carry with me, as having been seen. We all know how much DS is a treasure to you. Rough business. So thankful for the outcome. Hope lessons were learned.

Margaret. I love your sharing heart and your way with words. I've been working on Debbie to find out some information on a possible Meet 'n Greet Part Deux for next year. I think the sequel might be even better than the original!

Laurie. How fun! You're up next!

Meet 'n Greet! I'm in!

This is my big back-to-school splurge:

https://www.joefresh.com/us/Categories/Women/Dresses/Mosaic-Print-Sheath-Dress/p/WF5D315253_219?size=10&sizeVariantCode=06366479637

I usually walk right on by Joe Fresh because the colors are so bright. But, they have some lovely earthy stuff for fall.

I have a lot of casual tops from Lucky Brand. They tend to have good colors and I pick them up at L&T for half off at the end of the season. Today I picked this out for Anita because it has the most beautiful soft green in it:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/brands/wa-tops/silk-floral-stripe-blouse

And I got this for me to go with my mushroom capris:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/brands/wa-tops/burst-print-blouse

Fun day!

Margaret, there seemed to be something I liked about each thing you posted! That shirt that reminded you of Anita had some wonderful browns in it. That can be hard to find. The dress you chose for yourself is really pretty!

And animal prints. Ahhhhh

So these pictures....Well, some were taken much better than others. Skin issues on a day you're taking pictures without makeup isn't good either! But I do think I was seeing certain things come up. I'll share the link with all the pictures, and see what you all think. I apologize, some are not the best quality. A few in the beginning were leftovers from the first round, when I tried to do it myself but kept moving.

I am already seeing standouts. I'm going to try and match these to color charts next.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4633F538CF6D558E!133&authkey=!AIaJt0HDjOKczHE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Edited by laurspag

Margaret, some of the Tadashi ShojI dresses...one is in this great color called mocha. If money wasn't an option and it didn't have a high neckline, I'd be all over it.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/womens-apparel/soutache-embroidered-sheath-dress

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I just do not have the eye for this. I have looked at all the pictures & I do not really see a difference . I do like the younger pictures and I will post one .

Margaret , I love that dress . I also love the Coldwater creek blouse in fact I think I am going to buy it . I have very few patterns and lots of solids in my wardrobe . Next year I am going on my first TA even though I have been to Europe a few times this is a new experience . I have always flown non stop from Europe so I did not realize that I would have to go through immigration & customs on my first stop in the USA . The thought of trying to go through immigration , claim our luggage & go through customs , recheck the bags , go through security & get to our gate in Atlanta freaked me out . So we are now flying non stop from London to Tampa .

Laurie, I'm only getting one picture in that link (red). Were there supposed to be more?

I love Tadashi Shoji dresses. I have two and they are made to fit so well, with beautiful detail and tailoring. A bit of a splurge, but very womanly. I saw that dress you posted in navy today and it's so pretty. I wish I had known to look for the chocolate color so I could report back.

That green Lucky shirt would look good on you, too. I liked the colors on me well enough but if you notice the pattern makes like a band at the waist/hip level, and that part hit me at just the wrong spot.

Sally, it is a pain to have to go through Customs and get back on a plane. Some airports are well-designed and you can drop your bags right after Customs and go to your gate without having to exit and go through security again. But I don't think that you can count on knowing your gate assignment and having that experience even if it's available. At least now you know when you arrive in Tampa that you're not far from home. :)

Mousey. Heart in my throat. I do have to say that, for the first time, I was glad that you didn't know how to post a picture. There are some things that I just don't want to carry with me, as having been seen. We all know how much DS is a treasure to you. Rough business. So thankful for the outcome. Hope lessons were learned.

Margaret. I love your sharing heart and your way with words. I've been working on Debbie to find out some information on a possible Meet 'n Greet Part Deux for next year. I think the sequel might be even better than the original!

Laurie. How fun! You're up next!

I agree with you. It's hard for me to get that image out of my mind right now. It upsets me so much. Unfortunately one of the DS's friend posted a picture of the car on social media and my niece saw it before I had a chance to tell her about it. She was so upset. I let her know he's fine and back partying with his fraternity brothers until school starts next week. She was pretty shaken up. I hope her sister doesn't see the picture as I haven't been able to get a hold of her yet. I'm just thanking God all the time that my child wasn't badly hurt and that no one else was hurt either. It's a miracle really.

Margaret...loved the pictures of the blouses you posted...especially the animal print one.

It is working. I wish you would put all the pictures into an album and then share the album. The programming is such that you can only zoom in on the individual photos in the album setting.

To make an album...select photos from the menu on the left.

On the menu at the top of the screen, you can select "add to album". In the lower left corner, you can name the album. In the middle of the screen you can select all the photos that you want to put into the album. In the lower right, you hit create.

Then open up the album you created to select share to get a link.

For me, it is very helpful to be able to zoom in on the photos. It is the whole reason that using the One Drive is better than the others...because the large file size is maintained when you upload and thus, when you zoom in, the detail remains...in the other methodologies we have used, when you zoom in, the picture is just pixelated.

This is truly splitting hairs so to speak so detail is important.

My first impression again though is that you aren't Soft. :)

I just do not have the eye for this. I have looked at all the pictures & I do not really see a difference . I do like the younger pictures and I will post one .

Margaret , I love that dress . I also love the Coldwater creek blouse in fact I think I am going to buy it . I have very few patterns and lots of solids in my wardrobe . Next year I am going on my first TA even though I have been to Europe a few times this is a new experience . I have always flown non stop from Europe so I did not realize that I would have to go through immigration & customs on my first stop in the USA . The thought of trying to go through immigration , claim our luggage & go through customs , recheck the bags , go through security & get to our gate in Atlanta freaked me out . So we are now flying non stop from London to Tampa .

As I just said...this is splitting hairs. I had a radio that had two dials. The first one was "tuning" and when you turned that dial, it moved a lot. The display was analog and you could see the little white line (or was it red) move down the numbers.

It also had a "fine tuning" dial that moved less per turn of the dial. It really helped to "dial in" on the radio station to maximize reception. Especially in CA where there were so many radio stations that the distance between the frequencies was minimal.

This is back in the day of analog...

The digital world really helps to select the exact location of the radio stations these days...

But the analogy holds true.

This is all just a bunch of "fine tuning."

The reality of the situation is that there isn't much difference for the majority of us. I think everyone has done a really good job of learning the general spectrum of color that is well suited to our individual coloring...

For my part...I am not a regular cosmetic wearer. I can remember the day in 7th grade when I woke up for school...saw myself in the mirror before taking my shower...I thought *ugh*. I took my shower and then I put on my eye makeup (as crazy as it is...I do love a dramatic eye)...and I looked at myself and thought "There I am."

And I immediately HATED that.

I didn't want my mental picture of self to be an altered me. I just wanted me. The way I am to be the way that I think of me.

Everyone understands that this is just the way I feel about me...everyone is different...and I pass no judgment and could actually care less if others differ in their own self mental picture.

To quote Matrix 3? "Me, me, me, me, me, me..."

Anyway, that was that. Makeup for me became something that I still enjoy...still have a lot of fun with...but I have a strong deviation between what I think is good for daytime (because I do love that dramatic eye) and what is best suited for "dress up." And so...for me...cosmetics are really about "dress up."

Which is a rarity for me.

So I rarely wear cosmetics.

And because of that...I feel like the difference in color is more visible for me because I don't do any corrective anything for like, 360 days of the year.

It has prompted this exploration for me.

Partly too because I feel like I'm entering a picture taking season...DS entering high school...and all the things that he is involved in...because of the way of the world today...the parents of highly involved kids end up highly involved because budgets are what they are...the volunteer force is in great demand...in fact...these things the kids do could not be done without parent involvement.

I live a life of great isolation...and this is breaking me out of the house and around people. I'm looking forward to it...but at the same time...I'm somewhat anxious about it all too...so looking my absolute best at the times that I want to...THIS is what I want to know how to do.

Not that I'm going to care everyday.

Changing topics...

I would NOT arrive in Atlanta on an International flight and then try to make a quick connection. I've only been through the International terminal once...and it wasn't bad...but the fact is that the International terminal is totally separated from the Domestic terminal. It would take TIME to get from one to the other.

If you don't plan for a long layover, then it could be a very stressful return home.

When we flew home from our TA, Mom purposed for us to fly into Atlanta, my home airport, just so we didn't have to do what you talked about. She did that once, flying into Philadelphia (I think?) before having to connect to fly home to AZ...NIGHTMARE. Mom pretty much said...never doing that again. Partly because of the whole customs/immigration and then make a domestic connection...partly because it's another LONG flight to AZ from the East Coast.

That's why we made a European connection (much easier to do) and then flew straight home.

Mom is planning on them flying through Atlanta again after their TA next year...but she will be able to rest and adjust with me for a bit before having to fly all the way home.

Margaret...love your new splurge dress. One thing I still lack is anything with long sleeves. Well...normal layers. I have some jackets and hoodies...

The Anita shirt is beautiful. I have shied away from buttoned shirts for ever because they usually pull across the chest and/or get too boxy...so I don't own any. Then when I want a nicer blouse...I don't have one. It's something of a dilemma. One that inspires me to try to sew to solve since fit would be most important in such a garment...

I love the tribal print...

Trying to figure out what to wear tonight...

It's a football game. Gonna see DS' first band performance! So...need to deal with heat...with a nasty seat (uncomfortable, likely dirty)...the potential for spilled food...lots of walking up and down hills and stairs (from parking to stadium and in the stadium)...

And yet...I want to look good.

But appropriate...because this is a CASUAL thing.

Definitely wearing some of my new things...might have time for a picture. Gonna bit a bit of a rush...I'm on the uniform crew so at 3pm I have to report to help the band dress for the first time this year in their uniforms...

OMG...talk about 100% polyester sweat traps...

Ooooo...I have uniform WASHING duties too! Yay! :eek:

Laurie,

Love you in red in those pictures you posted.

I don't know anything about analyzing colors...it's just that I like the way you look in the various red colors. I also like the lilac and dark brown. The cream and white...not so much. Oh yeah, I like the grass green one, the turquoise one, and the black one.

Anita, how exciting...getting to see your son's first high school performance. Volunteering is a great way to stay in touch with what's happening at the high school. I volunteered at the DS's various schools from the time he was in kindergarten until his senior year. The schools and teachers appreciate parent volunteers so much as money is tight in most schools. I loved my years as a volunteer and plan to see where I might be of use here in my community. I'm very excited for you.;)

Edited by mousey

Anita, if you lived closer I could help you with uniform washing duty. :D:D

I miss doing all these kind of things with kids in school. But, as they get older, things change. That's okay, you just learn to love new things. I get very nostalgic sometimes though...one daughter was a dancer and the other was in symphony and played the violin.

Mousey, there isn't any pictures of me wearing black, but there are a couple of darker colors I threw in the group. I think my choices represent earth colors pretty well, although there is a red that I think is fire.

But red...I love red. It's kind of neat to see all these pictures together, isn't it? From a color standpoint? I've tried to find some of the more difficult earth colors when I can. I find blue really hard, but I have a blue shirt in there that I really think is an earth color, and then a teal that has a faded look to it.

Anita, your comments about makeup are interesting to hear. You love to do your nails, and I find I do them for trips only, for the most half. I wear a light amount of foundation, but it evens out the splotches. But I seldom wear eye makeup, because I'm worried it will emphasize my dark circles. Really though, I just need to practice with it more.

When I go to an event of sorts, I'm always trying to find ways to look good, without necessarily dressing up. It reminds me of what you said about going to a football game. I want to look pulled together and polished. I didn't have much time to do that for the baseball game last week, and it bothered me. I felt like I needed a little something...sometimes it can be as simple as putting on sandals that have some bling, you know?

I thought it was funny that as I went on with taking pictures, my no expression face went to a frown. It was like, get this over with already! Lol.

Hey Laurie...

So I have been staring at your slightly grumpy face this evening...:rolleyes:;)

I must admit that I've had a really hard time looking at all your colors. There is something about these pictures...they are, for lack of a better word, very reactive. They change significantly depending on the angle of my view on my laptop's screen...

They are ridiculously different on the different monitors that we have in the house...some of your shirts are SO BRIGHT on DS' monitor...

So it's been quite challenging...

I'm really glad that you kept all those pictures from what I think of as the selfie session and the daughter photographer? session. It was very interesting to me to compare the same shirts in each series and how the effect of wearing those shirts differed from others in each series.

It appears like the selfie session has a bit of a side light on your face...that is...that a window or some other source of light is lighting your face a bit from the side...so that, as we look at the picture, the right side of your face is more in the light and the left side is just slightly shadowed.

I had this same thing going on in my selfie series because I was standing in a place that was like a corner window...facing the north facing window directly, with an indirect sun (I thought) window on one side...

And I think I see the same phenomenon of your WHOLE face looking equally lit when you are wearing a great color that happened in my series of photos.

For example, comparing the greens from pictures 10 and 11 (of 43)...in picture 11, both sides of your face are equally blended...there doesn't appear to be any sidelight at all. But in picture 10, the right side of your face looks more blended than the left...I can more easily see the reds and yellows on the left. Even your hair is darker and somewhat duller looking in picture 10.

Now if picture 10 is a Merona tank top from Target...and if it is the green that is currently in my closet...then I know that that particular tank is more Soft than anything else. There is a touch of cool and it is very, very muted. There is no hint of intensity in that shirt at all for all that it seems to be a darkish kind of color.

In contrast, that picture 11 shirt is an absolutely fabulous yellow green...no hint of cool...and if you can understand...it isn't as muted as that other green. I see that green...and it makes me wonder...True or Dark/Deep?

In that same selfie series...looking at the other similarly colored Merona tank top in a kind of wine color...picture 5. I know this tank top. It is soft again. It may seem deep because the base color is dark...but it isn't...it has that touch of cool...and a kind of overlayer of extreme mutedness. And in that tank, again on the left side of your face, I can more clearly see the yellows and reds in your skin.

Now compare that shirt to the one in picture 4. While the color in picture 5 seems darker...it's just a dark soft color. That red in picture 4 is less muted...it is a bit more intense...it is more red...less cool...and here again...both sides of your face are equally blended. And again, even your hair is less dull and dark...it is more vibrant and all the different shades are easier to see.

There are some pictures in the selfie series that are like...WOW...what happened? Because you skin is SO blended, you cannot see any hint of shadow at all...talking about the perfectly warm brown and that fab warm, muted purple in pics 8 and 9.

The question is why did that happen? Did the angle of the light truly change? Or was this just what happens with the auto adjustments on cameras when it can't differentiate the yellows and reds in the skin as well? (Because they are still there...if you zoom in, you can really see that they are.)

So I can see why you wanted to take more photos...and try to get the light to be more "consistent."

In looking at these photos...

That first red shirt has something different happening with the lighting that the others don't. There is a real shadow that you cast on the closet door that isn't evident in the other pictures. Now this particular picture is lovely...but it isn't consistent in effect against the other pictures when comparing this shirt to the selfie series...

I'm thrown by that and don't know what to say about that.

The crinkled shirt? In picture 15. WOW. THAT could be one of my favs. In this particular photo...you skin has a bit of an overall pinkish kind of look on my laptop...but it's so blended and healthy looking. I have zoomed in on this photo...and there ARE yellows and reds in your skin...they just blend so well...

Now when I compare that color to say, the color in picture 18...if that is a Target tee, then I know that shirt. You've lost the color in your face...there just isn't enough color in that shirt for you. That is a Soft color.

Taking a look at the yellows...the absolutely fabulously golden yellow of picture 29 is stunning on you. But you are fading in the soft yellow of picture 26.

The comparison that has me ultimately leaning toward True over Dark/Deep are the blues...

Simply comparing pictures 33 and 34. I can't put my finger on exactly what I see happening between these two...but suffice it to say that I do believe that the greener blue of 34 is more flattering. I wish the focus of the picture was more crisp...but still...I believe your eyes pop more in the greener blue...and overall...that shirts seems to make a more harmonious picture.

It is said that True Autumn will have the hardest time with blues...because every time a hint of cool is introduced...it just isn't as flattering. This is why I feel like the reds are overall more flattering than the wines...and why picture 22 is more flattering than picture 37...because 22 is more burgundy and 37 is more purple-y.

Why the brown of 41 is just that much more flattering than the brown of 42.

Some of your deeper colors are quite deceiving...but I don't believe they are a part of a deep/dark autumn color palette...because they are quite muted. Deep/Dark colors are more intense...the least muted Autumn colors...the closest to the clear colors of the Deep Winter palette.

When I consider the fact that someone that is Deep/Dark Autumn can "cheat" into Deep Winter...I question whether that is truly you...because I don't see you cheating that way. Because you are SO warm...

Now someone who is True/Warm Autumn cheats in both Soft and Deep Autumn...not much...Soft could get too muted (especially in the lighter colors...but the darker toned Soft colors work better)...Deep/Dark would just be a bit too cool/intense.

So, I have to say that overall...I'm thinking that you are falling into that definitely warm...that touch of cool doesn't work quite as well on you...which is why, I think, you have the hardest time finding blues that work well...and some purples...and why the right red is so fabulous.

Because it is so obviously right when it is...so EASY to see a TRULY warm and rich, but definitely muted red.

And brown...decidedly warm brown looks the absolute best on you.

And went back to look through some of your posted pictures too...and it appeared to me that the most flattering colors were ones that were right there in a medium muted, decidedly warm category...which is pretty much the definition of True Autumn.

So that's my best guess for you...based on what I've observed and what is pictured here.

I'm sorry that I didn't do all the side by side comparisons. I just didn't have the time to do that...and I know how it is to wait for opinions when you post pictures...and I wanted to get mine out here so we could talk more.

What do you think Laurie?

It is interesting, Anita, what I was thinking as I looked at the pictures. First, I was bothered that something was really irritating my skin that day. It was very distracting to me. Then, when I tried to group them by category, I just found myself migrating to the pictures I liked instead. I knew immediately that soft isn't the way to go. I have been looking at the pictures you mentioned and those were the exact pictures that I found myself liking. I was pretty certain I was a true autumn almost right off.

I am hoping to put together a group of the ones that I think are the best of the group and then look at my shirts again and maybe take a few more photos. I just think this is not only fun, but it really helps me to see what the BEST colors are. I even smile a little when I look at the pictures...

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

The August Vogue is sitting on my table waiting for me, and it looks to be pre-fall, so here are the last of my summer photo picks.

A-line skirts. Not for me. If it's a coming trend, I will wait it out.

Gucci:

Gucci4.jpg

Gucci again:

Gucci2.jpg

Celine:

Celine.jpg

Some accessories....

Coach:

Coach.jpg

Aldo:

Aldo.jpg

I love citrines:

Amber.jpg

Laurie, when I looked at your pictures I could tell which ones I liked without knowing why. So, it was interesting to get Anita's detailed analysis of what the colors were doing on your skin.

How fun is it that the three of us represent the three Autumns?

I was in Target yesterday and they had some nice purples and teals, and some olive green.

Today I have a date with my plumber. I think we may have to rip out our shower wall. :eek:

Margaret, I ended up with the same approach to the pictures. I told myself not to like a color itself, but to just choose which pictures I thought I looked good in. There are blurry pictures and all in there, but I was able to pick what I knew I liked right off. What went through my mind is that the colors felt...pure? I guess my thought process is that the colors are really, truly, purely, real earth. Or autumn. There is something absolute about them. I do see a few colors that don't seem to line up with that thinking that I thought worked, but they didn't work as well as others. I think I will put together my favorite 6 pictures, and post them, and we can see if we are all on the same page. I think from Anita's post, we liked a lot of the same colors.

I do want to point out that I ended up with two fire shirts in the mix, and I don't think I need to point those out...they are very red. I guess I never realized just how bright they were. One is worn under a muddy brownish jacket to work, for the most half. I think it's because the jacket is kind of soft earth, and I felt like it needed to be warmer? Maybe we realize some of these things more so than we thought.

Okay, I ended up with 9 pictures, lol. I think a few are a little off, but let me know what all of you are thinking. The purple may be a little to the soft side. I feel like it could be close?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4633F538CF6D558E!247&authkey=!ANPxzXnv34a9v0g&ithint=album%2c

I thought this was interesting too....I had to have a picture done for work. Press releases, LinkedIn, things like that. Here is the photo:

work_zps2nv3wthy.jpg

I'm wearing that green shirt! I wanted to wear what I thought would look the very best for me. I smile now, because I was so much heavier in that picture than I am now. The shirt is just looser, but still fits.