All things EARTH...

It is rather humbling to think that those pictures were taken right on my property looking either across the street or down the street...sometimes, I need a reminder of how fortunate I am and how much I have. There is a spot just a block up the street from me that has an incredible view. I hope to get a picture this weekend.

I think I have mentioned it before, but my street is kind of rural. Yet when that looking at that one view downhill, you take a turn there and everything changes. Toth left you end up in the village and to the right is interesting...there is an alpaca farm, then all these sidestreets that are typical suburbs. Stay on that street though and you are in the commercial district in less than a mile. I have everything very close by.

I used to wear Lee jeans a lot so I should try those. I'm having a rough time with fit lately. All these curvy lor slightly curvy fits don't work for me. And I I think I've shrunk too because everything seems too long!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Laurie other than in size you didn't shrink. They're making jeans much longer! I used to love Liz Claiborne jeans, but they don't make them anymore [emoji22]. They fit me perfectly. I still have one pair that I save for special jeans day...[emoji6]. Melody

Beautiful pictures Laurie. What I wouldn't give to be able to see a horizon. My world is completely surrounded by trees. It's all I see...nothing but trees. We are a little further behind in the changing colors...we still mostly green with just a few different trees changing.

I've decided that I need a pair of cold weather boots. I want them to be water resistant at the least...and prefer water proof. I want them to be WARM. I need them more for city walking than hiking.

And is it too much to ask that they be somewhat stylish?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

I will be in Indianapolis this November and am hoping to be in New York next Thanksgiving. I know that I would also use them regularly here. I guess I'm tired of not having the right footwear but I've made what I have work...but having these trips on the horizon has me thinking that it's time to get the right footwear.

I'm looking for CASUAL. I'll be attending marching band related events including competitions in stadiums, parades, football games, etc., and normal everyday activities, like running errands in inclement weather.

I'm drawn to a couple different ones...I don't love the big rubber on the bottom look, but recognize that it might be the best but wonder if they are really comfortable for walking around a lot? I'll need to cover several miles for both of those trips.

I've been staring at boots all morning (super productive I know).

I can't decide if I love the look of these or not:

http://www.amazon.com/Australia-Womens-Kanama-Deluxe-Black/dp/B015WSPAYU/ref=sr_1_67?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1444917064&sr=1-67&nodeID=679337011&keywords=emu

They are like a sneaker boot. They come in different colors...Planet Shoes has a version that is more charcoal gray, but those have a pink stripe in the sole that I don't like. I really like the brown ones, but I can't see to find a place that will sell them to the US:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0678/9351/products/Screen_Shot_2015-08-27_at_2.44.38_PM.png?v=1441764707

Here's someone wearing the more gray ones:

http://www.bienmore.jp/co/blog/uploads/1509234.jpg

I think I like the sneaker boot concept a lot. I haven't really seen that before and I think that would work with my casual cold weather clothes.

From the same brand, there is the typical look:

http://www.planetshoes.com/item/emu-shaw-lo/44947/479

But I feel like I see this everywhere...especially with DS' peers. And it isn't that I'm concerned about the age thing, it's more like I just don't WANT to wear something that a lot of teeny boppers wear, which is probably why, even being the casual person I am, that "sophisticated" is part of my style statement.

I've never worn Keen sandals, but I know people love them. I have tried them on and the footbed seems good for my shape of foot, but I don't like the look of the straps. But I do kind of like this look:

http://www.planetshoes.com/item/keen-elsa-boot-waterproof/42230/ei6

Seems like a less rubber bottomed version of a those big ole rubber bottomed kind of shoes.

Going in a completely different direction are these Helly Hansen boots:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/helly-hansen-vega-waterproof-leather-boot-women/3745406?origin=related-3745406-0-3-PP_2-Rich_Relevance_Recs_API-20&recs_type=related&recs_productId=3745406&recs_categoryId=0&recs_productOrder=3&recs_placementId=PP_2&recs_source=Rich_Relevance_Recs_API&recs_strategy=20&recs_referringPageType=item_page

Which look like work boots with some style. Like girly work boots. I think they could be cute with jeans and leggings. But they don't look very comfortable to me.

These look comfortable:

http://www.shoebuy.com/helly-hansen-harriet-boot/757964/1591509

And like another version of the sneaker boot kind of look. But they are a bit boring with everything being one color. But I always go for prints (hello, sneaker collection) and end up grabbing the solid colored shoes more often.

But when I see them in an outfit, they kind of look like slippers?:

http://www.hellyhansen.com/footwear/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/fall1.jpg

But then I wonder if I care? Is that necessarily a bad thing for the casual events I'm talking about?

Continuing to look at Helly Hansen (because I LOVE that store in Epcot), I found these:

http://www.hellyhansen.com/footwear/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/winter5.jpg

Which are very attractive to me...but I wonder how comfortable that taller boot would be for a lot of walking?

Opinions?

Laurie other than in size you didn't shrink. They're making jeans much longer! I used to love Liz Claiborne jeans, but they don't make them anymore [emoji22]. They fit me perfectly. I still have one pair that I save for special jeans day...[emoji6]. Melody

You can buy all the Liz Clayborne jeans you'll ever need on QVC.......

I used to wear Liz Claiborne everything until she died and the brand got cheapened .

Anita, I find boots to be tough. Based on my own attire, I'm looking for something closer to what the kids are eearkng, but with a more grown up look to them. They will work great with skinny jeans or straight leg jeans. However, when we get heavy snow, it's all about the functionality in Central New York. Based o. What you have said, it sounds like you need something for cooler weather and light snow and ice...I can envision you wearing the ones with the sneaker type base or the more teen like styling. Do you have an Off Broadway Shoe store near you? That is where I plan to look for mine. They have lots of stuff.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I'm trying so hard to make good buying decisions!

Melody, I love riding boots. That was my splurge footwear purchase last year. I found a pair of brown knee high leather riding boots. They have a zipper but they also have laces, which I love...I can loosen the boots up to wear over leggings, skinny jeans, etc. and then I can tighten them up to wear with skirts.

I already own serious hiking boots and I've actually worn them a few times here in Georgia when we've had snow/ice. They are good but I wanted something completely different I guess for this purchase.

I also have a pair of Minnetonka short bootie types with some fringe and a zipper up the back. They are fun, but not good for inclement weather.

So. To wear with leggings, skinny jeans, and the one pair of gray pants I have...and to wear with "spirit wear" for all the marching band events (hoodies and tee shirts)...and likely my other athleisure clothing...I wanted something fun, I guess.

DH went with me to REI so I could try on a couple different boots. And ultimately, I ended up buying a pair that wasn't on my radar before. I didn't care for the one and only color at REI, and I knew there were other colors from all my looking around...so I ended up purchasing them from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Womens-Minx-Fire-Waterproof/dp/B00RVNNAAG

I opted for the red ones! I've seen several different pictures online...and the red looks totally different in several...a very orange red in some and a very cool, muted red in others. So we'll see what happens.

These are waterproof and have special features to be extremely warm. OMG. I will have such happy feet! And the soles are like light hiking boots/trail running shoes...so very comfortable from the get go.

The deal was sealed for me when I found these images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=columbia+minx+fire+ruby&espv=2&biw=1166&bih=714&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI-tOh0qLHyAIVwuuACh08EAwH#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACepo1-D1v984Ijg8VWhRkSyfcujlDUgtqsHBLJ6a-FQ2sMukgxEYnLwlileYz7Q64b0fNYL5ewJoCFhB4S9SqPO2pyoSCTxVaFGRLJ9yEfzgnYJ_1VjAuKhIJ6OUNSC2qwcERqyxg1rJabB4qEgksnpr4VDawyxFQw4KQXJKaaSoSCaSDERicvCWKEen_1XIAbd5W-KhIJV5jPtDrhvR8RprDNXRHjEVkqEgk1gvl7AmgIWBFdWd4-YpX1SSoSCUHhL1Ko87anEUyGWJgmSmb1&q=columbia%20minx%20fire

and I could see how well these boots work with what I typically wear during most days in cold weather.

Oh. And when I tried them on in REI, DH said they "looked like me."

That's a benefit of having someone with you when you shop. I thought about it...as much as you pick out your clothes to wear each day, you aren't the one that really SEES you and what you wear all the time. When DH said that, I realized that...and if he could visualize me wearing them, then I likely would.

Once upon a time ago, I talked my Dad into buying me a pair of red shoes AND a pair of brown shoes because I didn't think the red shoes would "go" with as much as the brown. Funny thing was that I really liked those red shoes so much, I decided they "went" with just about everything.

Hoping that history repeats itself and that they work. I think they'll be a fun color to have on what can be cold, dreary days.

Yes. Melody...looking at the Athleta catalog can be dangerous business!

Anita, those are cute. I like the red. Sierra Trading Post opened here in town yesterday, more dangerous than Athleta.

We bought an inflatable paddleboard ($400 instead of $1200). Great deals. Best is I can order on line & get it shipped to the store for no shipping charges. DH actually enjoyed shopping there. I'm still looking for a hooded rain jacket for my next couple of cruises. I'm going back over there this weekend to poke around, maybe I'll get lucky. Other than that I'm set for both my cruises. Melody

Hi everyone, I'm glad you liked my Vermont pics. I do love blue! I will check out the jeans recommendations and hopefully find some I like.

I enjoyed the virtual boot shopping. I like the ones you eventually chose, Anita. Red boots... how fun!

My nephew gave me his cold and I have been sooo sick. Last week was the first week of classes and it was all I could do to get out of bed and go to work. This week I didn't get much rest because I subbed for a teacher whose mother passed away. I'm hoping to get some much-needed sleep this weekend and finally beat this lingering cough.

Here is another leaf photo... sunset at the lake:

2015-10-11_18-06-41_399_1.jpg

I still have some fashion photos from last month, so here they come.

Edited by MJC

Great outfit! Yes...that's me!

I love the Michael Kors scarf! That's yummy! JoAnns has fur on sale...Hmmm.

Beautiful fall color photo Margaret!

Makes mine pale in comparison, but I took these shots from my front porch this morning...this is my current morning coffee view:

P1110167_zpsywvzj943.jpg

P1110170_zpspyfghshj.jpg

P1110169_zpsufs0bk9q.jpg

As I said before...our color is still selective, some trees are bare, some are just beginning to change, and others are still totally green. And of course, lots of pine mixed in that won't change...

Edited by Anita Latte

Margaret, I love that picture...I really love fall, and the colors it brings to the landscape.

Can you believe it was only 40 degrees earlier? It is going to be cold on Sunday night, so since there is a chance of precipitation, we've been warned about what could be...you know, that four letter word starts with s and ends with w. There's an n and an o in between. :(

Margaret, I'm drawn to that Brahmin coat. It looks so classy looking. I'm a bit partial to Michael Kors these days as well. We have a store at the mall, and one of these days I will splurge and get a purse there like I've always wanted. They have some clothing items, but I find that I tend to look more for the clothing online.

Speaking of which....I had decided that since Lord and Taylor had free shipping, I'd order a few things. I can take them right back at the mall, so there is no money lost if I don't like them. I ordered two clearance Michael Kors dresses. I really love them. I will take pictures and post them soon.

I also ordered two dresses that were Laundry by Shelli Seagal. These were a bit more expensive, but on clearance and I got an additional percentage off. The colors are iffy. There is a muted quality to them, but maybe not muted enough. One dress is different, and I like the styling a lot. I'm not sure about the middle section of the dress, since I have to be careful with looser things. I will post a picture of that so I can get your input.

The other Laundry dress was disappointing...First, I ordered an 8 which is not ideal for the girls. (what was I thinking, right?) But it fit. As a matter of fact, the shoulders would need to be taken up a bit. Where it is disappointing is this: the dress came with the plastic over it ripped, on a 1X hanger. It had a few pulls on it and the belt was missing. I couldn't help but to think that this was returned and no one bothered to even look at it. That is not what I expect on designer clothing, or from Lord and Taylor.

However, I do want to try it on and take a picture to get feedback. I find that the honest, yet detailed opinions I receive here helps me to understand better what works for me and what does not.

On another note, I seem to have some real issues posting links from my Nook lately! I'm not sure about the heel on these. It looks very modest, so I think I may find them very comfortable.

http://www.offbroadwayshoes.com/women-shoes/women-boots/women-boots-bootiesankleboots/100721526602/152660.prod?r=10&c=4&orderby=ordate&dir=desc&st=PRODUCT&filter_cat=women-shoes/women-boots/women-boots-bootiesankleboots

But I'm glad you found what you were looking for, Anita. It seems like I need a lot of different clothing for the weather here, and that includes footwear.

I have an idea in mind, and the pair that I was trying to post a picture of seem ideal. I'm going to have to try them to see.

Melody, that sounds like so much fun! We have been hoping to go apple picking, but I don't think that will happen. In a few weeks though, we figure we can still visit the orchard and buy apples, and some of the other goodies they have there. They started selling their hard cider a few years back (called 1911) and it is really good. I love to make apple pies, and if they have Northern Spy apples, I'm going to grab them.

Anita, you are right, the foliage is just starting to change over where you are. I can't believe how rapidly the leaves change here once they get started. A few houses up, our neighbors have a great view. We had to drop off an envelope that was put in our mailbox by mistake, and I was in awe at the beauty. I got a picture, but there was no way to get the panoramic view I wanted on my phone. I told my husband that if they move, we need to seriously think about buying that house, lol.

Margaret, that outfit you posted made me think of Anita too.

Stay warm, everyone. Well, if it is cold where you are! It's currently 36 degrees here...

Laurie! That was the funniest post...when I saw it, it made me laugh.

Yes...I'm going with the zipper. A side zipper to make it easier to get on and off.

This has been a challenging thing for me to do. I'm totally winging it! Not using any patterns and pretty much just cutting the skirt up and hoping that it all works out in the end. I'm doing it thoughtfully, but it is so unplanned!

I like the new shape I've made on the bodice. But I made the length of the arm holes and neck bigger so I need extra fabric to trim those raw edges, which I think I have from what I've cut off the skirt. I'm hopeful that there will be enough extra to make a least one pocket...doesn't have to be a big pocket...just deep enough for my SeaPass card!

This process has not turned me off to this concept of redesigning clothes...but it has shed light on the difficulties of alteration/repurposing. I can say emphatically that for repurposing? the BIGGER the original garment the BETTER. The more fabric you have to work with, the more options you have.

Sheds light on some Project Runway challenges I have seen over the years, for sure...

The Kiko Milano nail polish totally stood up to yesterday's housework! I'm very pleased with the performance of this polish...especially with it being so CHEAP! I wish I had more now...I think it holds up better than OPI. Still looks great after cleaning 4 bathrooms, the kitchen, dishwashing, laundry, and bed making! In addition to regular wear and tear...

I was talking nail polish with my hairdresser yesterday...and she told me about an OPI color (I discovered it's from 2011) called "Uh oh! Roll down the window." :D OMG...So funny. It's a kind of baby p**p green...

I'm lovin' today's TVF! She used a HOODIE!

Ever since discovering my "Soft" self...I've been so interested in more of the lighter neutrals. It's just fortuitous that most of my recent bottom purchases were all in a pale khaki neutral shade.

Finally decided on what my men are going to wear to formal night. I've ordered them Guayabera shirts. I ordered long-sleeved ones. If you don't know, they are traditional Mexican wedding shirts. They have details on them that show they are made to be worn untucked.

You know...it's a real dilemma to figure out a toned down casual elegant look for a guy! I've come to really dislike the tie but no coat look...so I don't go for that.

I remembered that last year, there was the most gorgeous couple. OMG. They both had beautiful, deep dark mahogany skin...and she was wearing a lovely white maxi-sundress. It was a dress up or dress down kind of dress, but not really formal. And he was wearing a short sleeved Guayabera shirt, I think it was a turquoise color? with white linen pants. They were stunning. And they looked SO appropriate for formal night on a cruise ship!

A recent post on a different thread helped me figure out the name Guayabera...and I found some reasonably priced ones by Cubavera on Amazon.

I think it's all in how you wear something...how neat/styled your hair is. How strong your posture. How confidence radiates from you...that is what brings a look up or down.

So now formal is finalized in my mind. I think we'll look great and totally appropriate for a Bahama cruise formal night.

I made my undercut even bigger yesterday! I just love it. It's the sneaky way to get the hair off my neck (why I would wear a pony tail all the time with long hair) and yet, still have hair around my face (unlike when wearing a pony tail.)

I'd love to figure out a look for formal night...I'm wondering if more sleek hair...ala the Addicted the Love video girls would be interesting. I never do that. I'll have on lovely gold hoops...

And if I do a dramatic eye...or maybe just slick one side?

Will have to play with that...

Okk