All things EARTH...

Laurie , Love all three dresses but the Ralph Lauren is my favorite . I really think lace dresses just look so classy . I know what you mean about beach cover ups . I finally found one on ebay . It was a long JJill very light knit dress shaped like a long tank . It was only $19 so I took a chance & it is perfect for a beach cover up & also as a sundress .

Because I can't contain myself, I'm going to give you my own rundown on the dresses.

I couldn't take the red one back if I wanted. I've concluded that the red is almost in a neutral range, meaning not too cool nor too warm. However, when you move about in different lights, I do see a tad of a purplish undertone, which is a firm indicator of cool. My husband and one of my daughters clearly said it was warm, while the other was on the fence about it. It's just that kind of red, if you know what I mean. But I just adore that dress so much, that I cannot part with it. It needs a slight hemming, and that is it. I will choose some nice warm jewelry to go with it. If I can find either a satin gold finish or an antique gold of some sort, that would be even better!

So, I'm keeping it! Can't wait to wear it!

Ralph Lauren purple/brown - I love this too. It pulls on right over the head, and it looks pretty nice with my bronze sandals, although I wasn't wearing them in the picture. I'm keeping this one also.

The blue dress I'm a bit torn on. When I first took it out of the package, I thought they sent the wrong color, it looked so much like a gray/blue. I put it aside, and didn't even try it on until Friday. I had decided I wanted to at least see what I thought about the style and fit. Holding this dress vertically compared to horizontally made all the difference in the world. I love the fit and style, but I'm undecided about the hem length. Since it is so incredibly difficult to find blue, I may also keep this one as well. I can see this dress being worn to a wedding, the work Christmas party, or on a cruise when I don't want to wear a long formal dress. It will be worn - a lot!

But I'm very head over heels in love with the red dress, and I rarely say that. I always say to my husband or daughters that I don't "have to have" something and I mean it. I think this dress is an exception. The Ralph Lauren dress gave me an immense amount of confidence in how I looked as well. It is such a neat color!

Here are those bronze sandals, to refresh your memory:

bronze_zps486bc9d8.jpg

I'm not certain I like how some of my daytime cruise outfits photographed. I did those hanging up in my room, and I'm not sure the colors are quite right...

Here are three out of four dinner outfits. I'm not sure what my issue is, but I still haven't decided on what to bring for just one more night. I have a few options. I have tried to be realistic in that it's a four night cruise, and I think most people are looking at this as a quick getaway, and I don't want to overdo the formality at all. I do like casual dresses too. I have a favorite in mind, but for now, here are the three definites:

IMG_2564_zps53753fc2.jpg

I brought the purple dress last time, and just didn't feel comfortable wearing it. I kept thinking I looked too big in it, and grabbed that animal print maxi I flew down to Florida in and wore that instead. Since then, I've tried on the dress a few times, and it fits a bit better. I could actually see a bit curvier of a figure, and I was thrilled.

Here are my swimsuits, but I'm only bringing two. Most likely it will be the middle one and the brown one. The middle one is darker than it looks here, it's just the flash.

IMG_2546_zps3e74afc9.jpg

Laurie - we share a love of red and I absolutely LOVE that red dress. I like all of them but am in love with the red.

I, too, like to dress up a bit for even the casual dinners. I get so few opportunities in real life to feel pretty and dressed up that I want to do it on a cruise. I really like all of your clothes choices. I like the animal print swimsuit though and it would likely be first in my bag. I love red and animal prints. I admit I may have a bit of a problem. Lol.

Curt called Taylor Swift a FIRE. That one dress that looks black was really a chocolate brown? Here he is giving her a thumbs up on it:

bestfirerunnerups.jpg

The girl to the right of Taylor? I don't love the dress, but I would love to find one in that color. That kind of turquoise-y green that is the flip side of teal. Most of them are too FIRE.

Laurie, I'm with everyone else on loving the red dress. I also really like the blue one, I think the detailing on the skirt is really different from other things you have, and gives the dress a lot of visual movement. It fits like it was made for you -- actually all the dresses do. I think you've really refined your eye for what looks good on you.

As for the brown one, I think in this trio of pictures it's hard for it to compete with the other colors, but that isn't really a fair way to look at it. I'm trying to picture it on it's own, like it would be when you wear it, and not in comparison with other things. I DO like that it's lace -- I may be wrong but isn't the only other lace dress we've seen the ivory one? So that's a big plus, and I bet it travels easily, too. I like the color, and I think the styling is so elegant... a bit deceptive in that it looks straightforward at first but actually isn't when you take a closer look. I like that a lot, it's like a nice wine that makes you go hmmm after the first sip. I would love to see how you accessorize it. Embrace the brown! :)

Now that fall is here, the animal prints are out and about. I think they're fun. I'm with Chollachick, I'd have a hard time leaving that animal print bathing suit at home. I always travel with 3 suits! Sometimes 4! I love the water and I'd be in it all day every day on vacation if I could. I guess if we do the Windstar cruise I WILL be in the water every day. <sigh> Heaven. When spring comes I will have to get you EARTH ladies to help me find a brown bathing suit... never have any luck here with that.

That navy and black combo is still here from spring. I don't really like it. I want it to go away. It is SO FUN to see what the students wear to school. It is like a fashion parade every day, except for the normcore bunch.

Very pretty scarf. I love the autumn colors. Just wish I could find edgier prints in our colors. My inner goth girl is drawn to black, skull prints and animal prints like a month to flame. Animal prints I can find... but it's hard to soothe goth girl with anything other than black.

Hey all! Guess I missed a lot while I was gone!

Anita- love all your outfits. I agree with everyone -You look so happy and relaxed! And as usual, you say it all so well! So glad you had a great cruise!

I really like how you described our skin. I've been comparing it to porcelain and marble.. Fire -porcelain, translucent with Earth-marble, dense KWIM?

Laurie- Those dresses look so lovely on you! OR rather YOU look lovely in them! Keep them all! I can't decide which I like you best in -probably the lace one! (I have this brown thing going on lately!) I also love the brown and animal print swim suits!:D

For Anita:

http://news.instyle.com/2014/07/16/what-is-athleisure/

I've never been a goth girl, but I did live through the black period of the 80's. It was sooo easy, and I was spending most of my time in black leotards anyway. Dance clothes, like fitness, revolve around black. I think I'm over it now, though.

Tomorrow will be the first day in a long time where I'm going to need a jacket. :( Fall is definitely here.

Russell.jpg.bed6895a344a3716c489a1c0273f8431.jpg

Hello everyone! Thank you all for the feedback on the dresses. After much back and forth, I think I may keep all three dresses. Each has their own reason:

Red dress: I adore the fit and styling of that dress. It may not be the perfect earth color, but I plan to make sure my jewelry is nice and warm. I just cannot imagine bringing that dress back.

Brown lace dress: Margaret, you are correct. This is the only lace dress, besides the one that I'm working my way back into. I love that the color is warm, and it has a great fit. It is very comfortable and will be a breeze to pack for a cruise.

Blue dress: This is the dress I debated about the most. I love the color, neckline and fit. You are right Margaret, it is unique. There is an elegance to it that I am very drawn to. My only concern was the length, but I took a good long look at it from different angles, and I think it works well.

All dresses have something going for them that I love.

I am just loving that scarf. I'm seriously thinking about buying it. The colors are so perfect for us!

With scarves in mind, what are your thoughts on this...

I plan things out greatly, so my May cruise will be no different. It is not a tropical cruise, and I've been told it may be a bit cool. For daytime, I know I have some nice sweaters that do dual duty right now - work or weekend. I realize I can easily take a fine gauge, lightweight sweater and wear a scarf with it. But would you do that with fleece? A scarf, with fleece? I'm not an over the top lover of fleece for style, but I like the warmth. I really want to make it look more like me, and less sporty. I just didn't know if it would look right.

I can see about taking some pictures soon, since, I have some brand new fleece to get out of the under the bed storage bag. I got a wonderful rust colored fleece pullover with the partial zipper in the front, plus a brown one, in May of this year. Clearance! I have an ivory V-neck pullover, and that I think I can make work. I wasn't sure about the zip ones though.

Margaret, I have seen off and on the navy/black and brown/black combos and I'm finding them bothersome. I know that we see color differently because we understand the categories that colors call for, but even before that, I would have been bothered those combinations.

On a side note about scarves, they seem to have quite a bit of lasting power. Unless the print is trendy, it seems like you can buy them and have them to wear for years. I may take a picture of the scarves I have.

By the way, the one I photographed with the brown dress I got at Dress Barn. It was on clearance for $6.99 before my daughter's discount. It didn't photograph well, but I loved how it had both paisley and an animal print together. It still has a classy look to it too.

With the swimsuits, I may take all three. They don't really take up much room or weigh much. I wish I had more than just the brown coverup. The printed smock/tube top style one doesn't match the swimsuits at all, and as Anita pointed out, they aren't exactly flattering for us top heavy ladies.

Laurie,

I too love all three dresses and am glad you decided to keep them all.

Heaven knows that I'm no fashionista. After all this time, I still have trouble telling my FIRE colors from your EARTH colors because I'm so drawn to FALL colors in general. But with that disclaimer, I'll tell you that I've taken scarves on nearly every cruise or land trip in the last 5-6 years. I don't wear my silk scarves with casual clothes, but I'd wear my woven scarves with fleece without hesitation. And, I did on our Alaska cruise. I almost always take a scarf or two on our super casual land-trips.

High humidity where I live means meat-locker style air-conditioned buildings in the summer. Because I have neck, shoulder and back pain issues, I feel better if I'm warm rather than too cool. So, scarves have become my warmer version of your gorgeous necklaces.

We took a bus trip through Yellowstone once and one of the ladies onboard absolutely made my day (maybe, even my whole trip!) when she commented about my scarf. It was during my earlier days of scarf-wearing and I was very self-conscious (to the point that I had to MAKE myself not fiddle with my scarf). On the third day of the trip, we were waiting in line and she casually mentioned that she couldn’t wait each morning to see what I would be wearing and what my scarf would look like. She actually mentioned outfit and THEN scarf. I was so afraid everyone would notice my three little t-shirt weight zip hoodies and the few casual t-shirts were the sum total of my ten-day wardrobe.

Fleece toppers are a little thicker, but same level of “casual” as my hoodies. You will have an enormous collection of different outfits if you take a few scarves along with two or three casual toppers that will mix and match all solid-colored tops.

Someone mentioned cover-ups a few posts back and I'd like to share my favorite. I wear a tankini and for coverup, I use a zip-up 3/4-sleeve rash guard (LandsEnd) and a skirt made from quick-dry material that's similar to the skirt made from board shorts featured on the Sewing for a Cruise thread. Same design and length, I think, but mine is a solid blue instead of black/white floral. This combo is much more flattering for my top-heavy body style than any one-piece pull over the head cover-up that I've tried.

I haven't been able to comment on what I missed yet. DS' is composing on his computer so I'm sitting here also entertaining myself on DH's while he is in Canada...

SO.

Here's where the SS comes into play. I could never get behind those teal boots! :o Or should I say in them? Ever. When do you wear boots like that? They are suede right? That's the worst material ever for boots. Seriously. Can't get wet or they are ruined. And when do you have nice weather that makes boots like that make sense? They are too hot for warm weather...maybe all ya'll up north can dig those boots...but I can't get past the suede aspect enough to like them at all.

And then there's the toes...seriously? Pointy toes? I don't care how fashionable or stylish that is...that is not something I love. No howdy. They are painful to look at, let alone contemplate my need for a wider toe box against the idea of trying to squeeze my toes into that narrow torture chamber! OMG. No WAY.

The color is pretty...but if Margaret didn't point them out...I wouldn't have looked at them twice. LOL!!

I'm telling you...too, too practical...

I love those orange and turquoise pumps on YOU Margaret. I know your feet can handle such things...but that heel is too high and potentially wobbly for this unsure high heel wearing self of mine...not to mention the pointy toes again...

I remember the clips to add to your shoes! I had 2 or 3 pairs of those!

I have capris that are similar to the gauchos...and yes, that's what we called them too. They are very comfortable...but not quite as wide in the leg...and they are knit and not very flattering because of the lack of any breaking up on the legs (like exposed pockets, or any stitching at all). Where those would hit on the leg would be a big question mark in how flattering that would be with my wider calves...but I have often thought about redesigning my comfy capris into something that would be slightly more flattering...

Which makes me fast forward to the idea of ATHLEISURE. Oh yes. This is MY everyday wardrobe. It's what makes sense. I just wish that I could go more into the street side of it with my choices. I still look too gym...especially in summer when I can't layer up...my favorite looks usually include a hoodie of some sort.

Which lead me back to Laurie's question...I'm not as big into pullovers, more of a hoodie girl...but this is because of the pocket situation. I find the pocket placement of most hoodies to feel flattering. It visually breaks up that space down there! I remember when Debbie posted her pictures from the Yellowstone trip and she was wearing hoodies and scarves. It was a good look. I liked it. I think you could totally wear some scarves with your pullovers. I think fabric choice will be KEY.

I found a great infinity scarf made of KNIT. Like tee shirt material knit. It's too bright...but I kept it because it was a major clearance and I want to use it for a pattern...it was the price of a typical pattern I think. Anyway...I think that if you could find a knit scarf, that would go well with the idea of fleece...at least in my imagination, it does.

One day when you feel like shopping, you should wear that fleece and just go try on a bunch of scarves. Take pictures of yourself in the store. Use a big mirror and just try to get the overall look.

I think we should explore the idea of how to wear scarves. I know Debbie might even get in on that action!

Debbie...I remember that zippered rash guard from this summer! I forgot about that. That thing was awesome! I remember loving that. Is it green? or blue? I'm trying to remember more, but reading your post, I remember liking it a lot and wanting to file away that idea. That would be an excellent thing to have for our Spring Break cruise. My LS rash guard is handy to own, but we only bought it on clearance out of necessity and I haven't had a chance to shop for a good replacement. I think I need to add that to my shopping list for SB...something I am currently mentally compiling.

And I'm in love with that board short redo idea! I think that could be so handy for SB also!

I never really got too into black. I had some...but not a lot really. I didn't like the way that blacks aren't consistent. There'd be blue black, brown black, and whatever...black is rarely black and they don't match to me...and I was really picky about that...so I didn't go for black much. Jeans were my black.

adding...or was your rash guard black? Was Kim wearing green? Someone wore green right?

Edited by Anita Latte

Anita, my cover-up skirt is blue. I have a lime zip-up rash guard for my lime/aqua floral suit and a bright blue zip-up rash guard for my blue/ivory stripe suit. I don't remember which one I wore, but it was one or the other. I think Kim was wearing green. A quick dunk in the water takes care of over-heating while wearing the rash guard, yet I can remain covered as long as I choose.

I love me some scarves. Lots and lots of scarves. How much fun to let the scarf, the outfit and the mood of the day determine how the scarf gets tied (or not). Each time is different. So much fun!

Anita, about those teal boots....

Lots, and lots of suede protection spray. My winter boots (that need replacing, after about 3 years of use now) have suede on the outside. Leather also absorbs moisture. With the pointy toes, I too avoid those. However, a good pair of shoes is made to accommodate your feet, and you aren't pushing your toes down into the pointy part if you buy the correct size. So, as much as they look uncomfortable, they may not be bad at all!

I don't currently have use for them, but I would very much wear them when me and my husband go to a movie or out to dinner. They could be paired with jeans and a teal sweater, for example. A teal suede blazer would be awesome.

I'm practical too, in the sense that whatever I buy needs to be worn and I have to get my money's worth out of it as well. I think these could be a great choice for Margaret, who has teal in her wardrobe already. (I haven't looked at the price - I think it was more commentary on liking and being willing to wear them than on actually paying whatever price tag the designer tacked on) For myself, those links that Margaret shared were very appropriate for me and my wardrobe. I wear a lot of brown, and the styling of those would really go good with my wardrobe. I can wear heels, but I avoid the thinner, spikier type unless it's a shorter heel. I'm not sure if I ever posted pictures of these shoes I wear to work often, but they have a pointy toe, with a low, thinner heel. They are more comfortable than you could ever imagine! It's a proper fit thing, and the heel height.

I will try this weekend to post some pictures of my fleece with current scarves, to give you an idea of what I am thinking. I thought the fleece was still under the bed, but I realized this morning that they are in my dresser as I got them out last week! It's getting colder here, although yesterday was beautiful.

I think the scarf style will matter. I know for a fact I have a good ones so I'm excited about putting things together. I don't want to put something like that silky one photographed a few days ago with fleece. At least, I don't think I do. Kim, I will need your help!

I've seen knit scarves too. You know, I never seems to migrate to them, but I think if the color grabbed me, I would.

It's funny how we talk about what we like and dislike, and how we can be all over the place. It never dawned on me to look at a knit scarf. I never wear hoodies. And I really dislike graphic prints. It's very difficult to say that I don't like something. I know what I love, I know what I like, then I kind of ignore the rest. I think it comes from things like social media, where I see people get so hateful about things. I don't want to be a hater, even if it is a chevron striped scarf or bra straps with a cami. :rolleyes:

Kim likes hoodies, so do you, Anita. Mousey, I think you mentioned once like graphic prints, right? And then there are those teal boots, lol.

I admit that I don't wear hoodies. I have cardigan sweaters as far as what I would usually go to for cooler weather when I just want to somehow look...snappy? You know, booties, nice jeans or pants, a cardigan sweater over a basic knit shirt...then a necklace or scarf!

I have a raincoat that has some lightweight warmth to it. I have two, actually. One is more casual than the other and has a hood while the other does not. The hooded one is on the brighter side or coral, but the other is olive green. I think these are something that can be hard at times to find in our colors. My daughter showed me this jacket type thing at Eddie Bauer that works more like slipping a long sleeved shirt over whatever you are wearing? Super lightweight? But it's in brick red. I kid you not.

I've used waterproofing on leather...I know you can use it on suede, too. It's just the thought, you know?, of the potential damage to something like that...and I have a hard time removing myself from the price tag, I suppose. I have suede booties (Minnetonkas) but I haven't worn them much because of the suede...I need to treat them so that I can feel more comfortable wearing them without them getting ruined. What brand of suede protection do you use?

My most expensive pair of shoes are my leather hiking boots. They are 100% leather, inside and out...they have a vibram sole with a full shank and are cramp-on compatible (for adding cramp ons to traverse ice and/or icy terrain). I've had them for almost as long as I've been married, give or take...so over 17 years. They were almost $200.

Usually, I don't mind investing in shoes. That's one thing I will spend more money on...but usually, I'll spend more on something that I know will have staying power, either from practicality, functionality, and timeless style. (Like my hiking boots.)

When you wear a cardigan, do you button it or zip it? The ones I like usually have zippers...and I prefer the kind that open at the bottom and the top so that I can unzip the bottom a little, if I want. I don't like button tops on me...I think because they are so hard to fit...my buttons usually pull apart. I do like the weight of a sweater here in Georgia... I don't like wearing open cardigans though...something about the way the sides flap around bug me...

I think this may be why I don't usually wear any of the jackets that I have and I have several...quite a few from Mom. I'm hoping to get this all sorted through this year's cooler season. I actually had to turn the heat on in the car taking DS to school yesterday! Fall weather is coming...

I don't know of where to find EARTH board shorts. I just know that I have found these for DS at Goodwill...I'm thinking about doing that shorts redo into a skirt for myself if I find a pair that would work.

Laurie...looking forward to seeing you experiment with the scarves! I have quite the scarf collection...and it was augmented this summer with Debbie's EARTH scarves that she gave me. I think you mention Debbie and not Kim in your last post. Debbie and I love us a good hoodie! :)

I love sweaters and have a large collection which is odd since I only wear them briefly in the winter . I also love scarves and have a decent size collection . JJill usually sells them to match the colors they are featuring . I wait for a sale and load up . I just recently purchased capri length leggings . I am either going to love them with my long tunics or hate them because of my age .I just bought this dress which I love for casual wear which is what Florida is all about .

719873_057.jpg.03e6a764f53c3f048504a0bfe6cab549.jpg

Laurie I think you will probably only get cooler weather in the latter part of your coastal cruise, when you get closer to Washington state. However it can be windy and rainy. Plus you are probably used to cooler temps. Here in Vancouver we don't usually get really cold weather. Maybe a week or so of freezing cold and most years none at all. We like to refer to this area as the lotusland of Canada.

As to the suede boots, what I love about suede is how comfy they are because of the softness and stretch. The bad part is sometimes ending up with dyed feet when they get damp.

Bev

I know I posted in the middle of the day a few times lately. I've been having ear issues. After three doctor's visits in two weeks and finally giving in and staying home a few days, I had a specialist visit today. What a great doctor - she cleaned my ear so gently, and it is already feeling better. The infection is still going strong and I appear to have some perforations of the ear drum, but I'm getting better! Wouldn't you know it, it's my good ear too so no hearing aid for a few days. Boy, it's quiet in here, lol.

Sailor Sally, that dress sure looks comfortable. I love it when we can find something like that, both stylish and comfortable. That is what I love about my new dresses. They are all very, very comfortable to wear, but I think I'm figuring out what the right styles are for me too. I like to refer to it as semi fitted. I have some things that are looser than others, like a top I have on today. It's a bit longer, but not a tunic. It's a gauze style fabric, in olive green. The neckline is a scoop neck, but nothing really low or revealing. It is just right for someone chesty like me!

Bev, thanks for the input on the weather out on the west coast. I am thinking sweater weather, if you know what I mean. I was thinking maybe ankle length pants with short sleeved shirts (maybe sleeveless, depending on the temp) early on, and then maybe long pants or jeans in the later part, when I'm in San Francisco and Victoria. That is where the lightweight fleece and scarves may be needed. I'm not thinking so much of heavy weight items, just lightweight layers.

I saw this wrap type swimsuit cover up on clearance on the Dress Barn website. I wouldn't call it the most flattering, but I think it is a better choice than some. I will have to go find it again and post a link.

Hi everyone,

Just checking in for a minute. Lots of drama here in FL. Will share the gruesome details next week when I get back home.

I read through all the posts I missed and here's my take on some things.

Laurie,

I love all three dresses and your swimsuits. When I was looking at the dresses I was really taken with how you looked in the blue dress. I love the details on that dress. I'm glad you decided to keep them.

The teal boots...I'm crazy about them! I really loved those! I have a pair of bright blue (as in primary blue) suede ones that I plan to wear when I go to NY in Nov. Elvis and I and our blue suede shoes! LOL!

ChollaChick,

I too love the Goth-style but at my age I do it in moderation. I too am addicted to black and can't seem to get away from it.

SailorSally,

Love your new dress!

Margaret,

I loved the two choices of boots and I'm especially in love with those brown ones! Really stylish!

And as for scarves...I have so many I've lost count. I have them in every color, fabric, style, and size. I never, ever travel anywhere without one...especially on the plane. My DH thinks I'm obsessive about them...I think he's right! LOL!

Tomorrow I'm off to do some shopping with the sister-in-law. We have a ritual that we follow whenever I visit. On Sat. we grab breakfast at the Cracker Barrel and start our shopping there. They have lots of cute stuff. Then we'll hit TJ Maxx, Bells, Belks, and wherever else we have time for. I just love her and enjoy being with her so much. We do crazy stuff...like singing in the aisles...we've actually had a few ladies join in with us. LOL! Also, I think it hilarious when I hear her talking to herself over on another aisle from me...which she does a lot and it's just so freak'n funny.

I'll be on the lookout for boots and sweaters (mostly cotton or lightweight wool as I live in So. Cal. Free People is one of my favorite brands). I'll also look at handbags, hats, and of course...SCARVES!

Edited by mousey

Laurie...I hope your ear gets better soon! Do perforations heal themselves? That sounds horrible.

mousey...family drama. OMG. All my current attention toward family drama is spent trying to avoid it at Thanksgiving. We had such a rough Christmas last year...I don't want a repeat at Thanksgiving. It requires quite a bit of mental preparation and focus. Sounds like you have great fun with your SIL though! I'm quite jealous...my SILs are fine, but not one of the three is really someone with whom I could have an afternoon like you had. How lovely that is.

I've determined that my big thing is my nails. I feel better about myself if I look down at my hands and see pretty nails. I've learned that this is important enough to my personal sense of well being that I should make this a weekly ritual. So today...I painted my fingers Channel's "Alchimie"

ChanelAlchimieReview.png

Fun fall color.

I feel nice for heading over to my SIL's house for a housewarming party this afternoon. I'm wearing my travel shirt (the green/brown palm-like print) and my chocolate brown capris. Also my sweet yoga slings (those new sandals I got?), which are comfy but also easy and off and on (normally everyone takes off their shoes). I'm so happy to have something simple figured out that makes me feel attractive. Ah.

Mom and Dad come in late on Tuesday, so tomorrow will be all about prepping the house and guest room for their arrival. A short visit, but still, very excited!

The only thing I could add regarding CA weather...Laurie, do be sure to bring easy on and off layers. SFO weather is unpredictable, especially in the spring...if you spend time in the city, the wind is almost always a sure thing...you may not feel it in one place, but then you walk around the corner and that street is just a funnel for the wind...you may feel like you have to walk at an angle to fight it even, seriously. So also keep that in mind for whatever clothing you wear...don't wear clothing that will get whipped around by the wind. Also, this may be typical of a big city...but the shade factor of the buildings can make it seem cooler than it really is...then add the wind... This is why the layers...easy on/off layers.

Also...the hills in SFO are real. Depending on what walking you will be doing around town, you may be walking up and down hills, so keep that in mind with your shoe selection. Your foot can slide forward or back depending on direction, so you might want something that is more secure than a typical flat. Something that will hold your foot in place so that you don't get crammed toes.