All things EARTH...

To see what I mean by the tan look...the very first story here:

http://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/success-stories/

Bonnie's skin looks monotone in that left photo...but her skin looks like skin in the right photo.

Hearing you say that you have no makeup on good be indicative that the blue is a Fire blue...OR that you have this tan effect going on.

I can say that the more I look...the more the silver hair looks too cool on you.

But again...this is all very difficult to talk about with these photos...I'm struggling to see them...

My dark auburn has faded to a silver, grey, ashy blonde, with a few strands of auburn mixed in where you least expect it, all natural. Hard to explain & difficult to get a good photo of, but hey, at least it's hair. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your description of your hair actually sounds lovely!

Silver, gray, and ash blonde are typically indicative of a cooler skin tone...auburn is one we normally associate with warmth, but there is a red tone that is actually cool.

It would be really interesting to see other photos of you! Ones that are more natural...natural lighting...and in the colors that you say are your best ones now and compare them to what you thought used to be good.

This is all so fascinating to me...I do enjoy talking and discussing it.

SO...do you teach at the academy? Your AF shot isn't in a uniform...and I'm just curious because my SIL and MIL used to teach and work at the academy in the Springs.

My dark auburn has faded to a silver, grey, ashy blonde, with a few strands of auburn mixed in where you least expect it, all natural. Hard to explain & difficult to get a good photo of, but hey, at least it's hair. Melody

I think your hair looks lovely . I am so envious of women who have that silver gray hair . It looks great . If I thought my hair would be that color I would stop coloring it today .

I found a lovely eye shadow recently. I think I'm either a fire (spring) or earth (fall). Had colours done years back & the consultant had an awful time choosing between spring & winter but a lot of fall stuff worked too. As time went by I picked a lot from spring, and fall plus a bit of winter. I suspect spring or fire.

This might suit other redheads here. It is Maybelline & its a single shadow called Earthly Taupe. Whatever else it is, it sure isn't taupe. It is a buttery feeling matte in a peachy beige tone.

I use it from lashline to eyebrows. Love it. Knocks out redness, just smooths things out. I have olive green eyes with gold flecks & gray green rims.

I was doing my minimalist packing & wanted to pare down my cosmetic pouch. This shadow worked every day, all clothes, looked good and looked right with my eyes, skin and red brown hair. No glitter to highlight the wrinkles, and cheap!!!!

If anybody is hunting a redhead friendly basic shade that plays well with other shadows this is one to consider. I put with a golden olive shade, brown shades and a warm ivory cream I like. All nice.

HTH

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

This week end is my SO's 50 th high school reunion . It is two nights . Friday is casual & Saturday is dressier . I have Saturday taken care of but Friday is driving me nuts . I want to be casual but not too casual .The weather is slightly cooler so I could do a scarf . I tried on a tunic with capri leggings but it made me look bigger than I am . I am probably going to go with the denim dress I recently bought with capri leggings & a wide silver cuff bracelet . I hope it doesn't look like I am trying to look younger because I am just trying to look current .If I don't wear that I will probably go with a JJill top with black JJill bottoms and a striped scarf .It just feels odd . I felt at 67 I would be ready for Alfred Dunner & mix & match separates but it really is not me .

What does the denim dress look like? What shoes were you planning to wear? My only concern is the idea of the capri length leggings. That is a look that I see on a lot of younger people...not that it is inappropriate in Florida for any age...I just see this look with a slightly longer legging OR boots that cover the skin. BUT...I think that this sounds like a very current look, regardless. mousey should chime in here! mousey, where are you?

Kamloops...thanks for sharing the makeup tip! Names can be so meaningless in reference to color...it helps to hear names and brands to know what is successful.

SS, I'm beginning to think that Alfred Dunner and the like really isn't me and never will be. KWIM? Every time I see those elastic waist pants and pastel floral designs, I cringe. I just can't go there. I am 58, my mother is 78 and my daughter is 34. DD and I have persuaded Mom that even she looks better when she wears clothes that fit a little better and have a little shape.

Current is a good thing. I've been searching for the right boutique tunic (what I call them) since a friend wore one with leggings to a wedding rehearsal a few weeks ago. She's in her mid 60s and looked cute as a button. Just the reason I'm trying to locate one for myself, of course. Sincerest form of flattery and all that.

What is it about class reunions, weddings, and other big life events that cause me to second guess every item in my closet? I have plenty of clothes. I have too many clothes actually. I have nothing to wear to XYZ that is perfect and it must be perfect. I feel your pain.

Whatever you decide to wear, remember that you won't be the only one there wondering about what they have on. Just enjoy the festivities.

Oh dear, I'm such a clutz at trying to say the right thing. I know what I mean, but I'm afraid I stick my foot in where my mouth needs to be shut! I truly do mean well, Sally. Tunic with leggings, denim dress with capri leggings, pants and top, they all sound good to me. Didn't know if you were wanting another option or input on your choices, but how about a knit T-shirt dress with a denim jacket? That seems current these days and can look just right casual with the right accessories and shoes if the weather isn't too Florida hot. --Debbie

Edited by aoknkentucky

I plan on wearing ballet flats . I like the idea of the knit dress with denim jacket but alas I have neither item in my wardrobe . I do have a casual maxi dress that might work . If you are looking for a tunic try JJill . That is where most of my clothes come from . At first I thought I was too old for JJill but after reading reviews from tons of women my age I realized I wasn't . I also wear some chico's .For the dressier night I am either going to wear a knit maxi blinged up with jewelry or a black knit pants with a black angled tunic blinged up with jewelry & black heeled sandals . At times like this I wish I were a guy . They just open their closet & pull something on .Here is the dress I may wear for the casual night .it makes me look thinner than I am & that is a plus .Sorry the picture is so small.

719873_057.jpg.b0e2af03a5269591fa70c89ec3a3dcc0.jpg

Dresses with a detail like your denim one down the front are very flattering! There is something about the way it breaks up the body, elongates and slims all at the same time. I saw a segment on some morning show a while back about column color blocking and how the vertical color block down the front of the dress created a super flattering look on almost every body type.

I think the long sleeves and the capri length go great together! Seems very appropriate for a fall evening in Florida to me.

Have you been playing with your makeup? I would think that you could have a lot of fun with makeup with this denim dress.

Your description of your hair actually sounds lovely!

Silver, gray, and ash blonde are typically indicative of a cooler skin tone...auburn is one we normally associate with warmth, but there is a red tone that is actually cool.

It would be really interesting to see other photos of you! Ones that are more natural...natural lighting...and in the colors that you say are your best ones now and compare them to what you thought used to be good.

This is all so fascinating to me...I do enjoy talking and discussing it.

SO...do you teach at the academy? Your AF shot isn't in a uniform...and I'm just curious because my SIL and MIL used to teach and work at the academy in the Springs.

Anita, I was a government civilian protocol officer at Peterson for 30 years, traveled about 30 weeks a year (miss those frequent flyer miles)

I plan on wearing ballet flats . I like the idea of the knit dress with denim jacket but alas I have neither item in my wardrobe . I do have a casual maxi dress that might work . If you are looking for a tunic try JJill . That is where most of my clothes come from . At first I thought I was too old for JJill but after reading reviews from tons of women my age I realized I wasn't . I also wear some chico's .For the dressier night I am either going to wear a knit maxi blinged up with jewelry or a black knit pants with a black angled tunic blinged up with jewelry & black heeled sandals . At times like this I wish I were a guy . They just open their closet & pull something on .Here is the dress I may wear for the casual night .it makes me look thinner than I am & that is a plus .Sorry the picture is so small.

Cute, especially with the ballet flats! Chicos had some great knit dresses & denim shirt jackets (with a bit of bling) this week, I was bad... Melody

This week end is my SO's 50 th high school reunion . It is two nights . Friday is casual & Saturday is dressier . I have Saturday taken care of but Friday is driving me nuts . I want to be casual but not too casual .The weather is slightly cooler so I could do a scarf . I tried on a tunic with capri leggings but it made me look bigger than I am . I am probably going to go with the denim dress I recently bought with capri leggings & a wide silver cuff bracelet . I hope it doesn't look like I am trying to look younger because I am just trying to look current .If I don't wear that I will probably go with a JJill top with black JJill bottoms and a striped scarf .It just feels odd . I felt at 67 I would be ready for Alfred Dunner & mix & match separates but it really is not me .

Those both sound nice. I LOVE the look of big cuff bracelets.

Something I do before cruising is I do a test run of the different dresses and outfits and take a photo with my cell camera in front of my full length mirror.

More than once when I'm caught deciding between 2 very nice options that both look fine in the mirror alone, one will pop out looking better in the camera photo.

I actually ditched some outfits altogether, while some others became favourites because I look better in them but I didn't know till the camera trick.

This is a touch easier on my feelings, since nobody else is involved, plus I feel more confident knowing I look my best. It's saved me from last minute panic shopping too.

Hope it helps.

Edited to add, you can do the camera trick in the store inside the change room with their mirrors too, then go somewhere to decide which outfit you are choosing looks best or whether your stuff at home is better anyway. I've kept my "best" outfits on my camera roll on my ipod because it's handy as a visual reference.

Edited by Kamloops50

I really need to get back to work, but....

Sailor Sally, that will be one attractive denim-dressed lady at the reunion! I almost always do my version of column dressing that Anita mentioned. Open jacket with matching bottom and untucked accent color top to elongate, elongate, elongate. I don't think I have worn a top tucked in since my last child was born in '85!

Thanks for the JJill suggestion. I have also thought that brand was too young for me.

I think your dressier Saturday outfit sounds just right.

Melody, could you possibly be an AIR? My mother's hair grayed so pretty. It never looked like it needed color, it just gradually looked like she was highlighting and then lowlighting, and finally it is almost all white now. She just adjusted her clothes color choices to deeper saturated versions of the colors she wore when her hair was a lighter red-brown and her freckles showed a little more under those gorgeous cornflower blue eyes. Why did my little brother get her gorgeous hair and eyes? My dad is really smart though. I take a little after him. LOL

I found a lovely eye shadow recently. I think I'm either a fire (spring) or earth (fall)... It is Maybelline & its a single shadow called Earthly Taupe. Whatever else it is, it sure isn't taupe. It is a buttery feeling matte in a peachy beige tone.

That's a beautiful every-day color! Thanks for sharing.

Sally...I hope you have a great time tonight! Whatever you are wearing...be confident! Attitude is everything. :)

I received my shipment from JJill today.

The green on that vest is awesome. It's GREEN. Almost like a forest green! The lining is kind of avocado colored. I like it a lot. I'm excited that I got it.

The ****ake color in the tank is good. It is a kind of dark mushroom brown...in the tank it's more brown than the pants. In the pants, it has a bit more gray. This works. I'm glad to have the more brown one on top. This is a very muddy color though...no way this brown would work for our FIRE friends.

The orange zest is weird. I don't think I could picture Mom wearing it...I don't think it is necessarily FIRE or EARTH. I was so hoping...but it's more sherbet like? It looks like orange sherbet. The price was so low though...I'm not sure that I want to return it. I'm think that I might try to dull it out with some tea staining experiments...because if the tea staining actually worked...it would be a great shirt and I'd be so excited. So, could be worth a try.

For the first time in a long time, my fingers match my toes! *gasp* I love this "deustch you want me baby" color by OPI. It's a deep orange red. It looks orange in the bottle, but when you wear it and see it from afar, you might just call it red, until you put it close to red and realize that it is orange. Very fun! Really good holiday color for Autumn and Winter holidays.

If money were no object...then I would buy these shoes to wear on formal nights for all my cruising...and maybe any other night that I just decided to wear a fun cocktail dress...

http://us.jimmychoo.com/en/women/shoes/doodle/gold-lam%C3%A9-glitter-flat-sandals-247doodlelag.html#dwvar_247doodlelag_color=Gold&start=94&cgid=women-shoes-sandals&searchgridpos=94&srule=Merchandising Default

They would likely go with everything that I would ever purchase in the future. Flats seem very sensible for cruising...and I think these look fun and appropriate, for flats.

I could see me wearing them with my long brown formal, my fun, take-me-salsa-dancing red dress, and even Margaret's dress.

Sadly...these are not in my budget...

It turns out, Friday is a great day for me to play with eyeshadow. Here's what I did today (I was wearing a cream top with a blue, gold and brown pattern):

Blue pencil liner, orange shadow over whole lid, matte peach in the inner corner, blue in the outer corner, a bit of frosty taupe on the brow bone:

orangeeye02.jpg

Ta da!

orangeeyes04.jpg

orangeeye05.jpg

Edited by MJC
fix photo

Stunning Margaret!!

I was thinking about playing with some makeup today. :) First, I need to deal with these eye brows of mine. Last time I took too much off the brow at the inside corner of the eye? I gave myself with really weird wide eye look...not a good look. I was studying the eye brows of the ladies in this show we were watching last night (Netflix season 2 of "Arrow") and I think that everyone is leaving it a bit on the long side on the inside. I had thought you were supposed to try to draw a line up from the inside corner and take out everything that was beyond that over the nose. I'm going to work on that placement and see how it goes. I'll consider this an accomplishment if I can finally get a shape that looks good...I do like a strong brow...but I want to look groomed.

It is funny, but I do nothing with my eyebrows. They were all bushy like when I was younger but now they are really thin. There is nothing to shape!!

I've been meaning to play with makeup but my ear infection has made a comeback. This is getting really old! I've moved my follow up appointment to Monday so I have to wait a few more days.

We also decided to adopt a rescue dog. It's been a bit challenging with my other dog but we are getting there.

I'm just two weeks away from my cruise so I got my jewelry ready. It's too early to pack and my husband is going out of town for a few days this week. At least jewelry doesn't wrinkle!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app