To 'hose or not to 'hose....

kmflutist

I am 32 and my attire 99.9% of the time is pretty darn casual, so when it comes time to dress up (last time was for my cousin's wedding), I never know what to do about pantyhose. I am betting that one would not want to wear nude pantyhose with a cocktail dress on a Caribbean cruise formal night but I wanted to come here to make sure. Can anyone help me?

Also, overall.... is pantyhose just not "in" anymore? I'm so behind the times. :o

I am 32 and my attire 99.9% of the time is pretty darn casual, so when it comes time to dress up (last time was for my cousin's wedding), I never know what to do about pantyhose. I am betting that one would not want to wear nude pantyhose with a cocktail dress on a Caribbean cruise formal night but I wanted to come here to make sure. Can anyone help me?

Also, overall.... is pantyhose just not "in" anymore? I'm so behind the times. :o

I always thought that you HAD to wear hose with nice dresses otherwise the look was incomplete. Two years ago we went to my nephew's wedding in England and I was sure (given English weather) that hose would be de rigeuer so I dutifully packed it with my silk cocktail dress. Even though one of my very fashionable girlfriends said to me "No one wears hose anymore!"

So we get to the reception at a very swank English manor and whaddya know. None of the ladies are wearing hose. I had to make a quick exit to the powder room to take mine off! :cool:

Just as there is no real "one size fits all" for clothing, there is no one rule for pantyhose.

I think it depends on the dress, the shoes, how the person feels about their legs, etc... I also don't understand the connection between dressing on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, is it weather related? Many women here are cold in the dining room and have to have a shawl or sweater with them, so weather outside has no bearing on clothing inside air conditioned dining rooms. I'd wear the same clothes in the evening on a cruise to the Caribbean or Alaska.

I have dresses that I don't wear hose with and dresses that would look funky with my bare legs, even with self tanner applied.

I always thought that you HAD to wear hose with nice dresses otherwise the look was incomplete. Two years ago we went to my nephew's wedding in England and I was sure (given English weather) that hose would be de rigeuer so I dutifully packed it with my silk cocktail dress. Even though one of my very fashionable girlfriends said to me "No one wears hose anymore!"

So we get to the reception at a very swank English manor and whaddya know. None of the ladies are wearing hose. I had to make a quick exit to the powder room to take mine off! :cool:

Thanks so much for the information. Great story! I feel better that I wasn't the only one who wasn't sure. I simply don't have to dress up that often (although I do like to).

Just as there is no real "one size fits all" for clothing, there is no one rule for pantyhose.

I think it depends on the dress, the shoes, how the person feels about their legs, etc... I also don't understand the connection between dressing on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, is it weather related? Many women here are cold in the dining room and have to have a shawl or sweater with them, so weather outside has no bearing on clothing inside air conditioned dining rooms. I'd wear the same clothes in the evening on a cruise to the Caribbean or Alaska.

I have dresses that I don't wear hose with and dresses that would look funky with my bare legs, even with self tanner applied.

I'm a newbie to cruising and I read a comment on another thread that "you wouldn't want to wear pantyhose in the Caribbean." That's the only reason I threw that in there. Haven't been on a ship yet so don't know what it's like in the MDR.

It's totally your call as to whether to hose or not. Without them many ladies don't like the look of their legs, or don't feel well dressed.

As for me, I do not wear them unless it's in the dead of winter and the hose happen to be black. This decision came about due to the popular trend.

Thanks again for the info. :)

Speaking of self-tanners.... last year I used Jergens Natural Glow and had good results. It smells nice too! Anyone have anything they think is better? I'm always open to trying new things, cause lemme tell ya! I won't go hose-less unless I get some color on these pearly whites.... and I'm not talking about teeth! :p

No hose for me anymore!

I think you've already got the idea, but I vote to just say no to hose.

I might change my mind once I get older (I'm 30) but for now I've sworn off them. :D

And I wish I had a suggestion for the self tanner. My husband tells me that every single one I've tried shells like Cheez-It's. LOL!

I think it has to do with your age and the shape of your legs. I am 60 and my legs aren't as nice as they used to be, tan or not. So, with a long dress I won't wear hose, with a short cocktail dress I will wear hose and closed toe shoes. But that is just me and my old legs:D

i think if your in your 20 or 30s and have nice tan legs i agree no pantyhose but if your older and to me with all the time a lady puts into her hair makeup and dress you would think she would want her legs to look good. some woman who have real white legs or not good legs dont look good with bare legs. for these women pantyhose or stockings can make their legs look alot better. my wife almost always wears stockings or pantyhose when dressed up and she has great legs and it makes them even look better. just my opinion. ininside the ship its usually cold in many places so also consider that.

I know I'm old school and totally out, but I'm 50 yoa and just don't feel completely dressed unless I have hose. I'm trying to adjust. I rarely wear dressy sandals, usually pumps, and I have always worn hose when I dress up. I also work in a position where I have to look professional. I just feel better personally with hose.

But even then, I'm going to TRY to not wear hose on my upcoming Med cruise. I will go looking for a dress that looks good without hose and try to find sandals to match to lessen my tendancy to want hose.

I also usually go a couple of times to the tanning booth to get some color. Self tanners have always looked too orange on me.

I'm not young (49) but I can't tell you the last time I wore nude hose. I do wear sheer black very very occasionally and tights but never in the spring or summer.

Some places have leg tanning beds. You could also consider a spray tan. They are supposed to last 7 - 10 days and if you get it done well (prep with exfoliating and use lotion, etc) the results can be great.

If you're in the Caribbean, go bare-legged..get some sun, or use some "self-tanner"...hose are SOOOOOO out.

Pantyhose are SOOOOOO NOT out and never have been.Just because some choose not to wear them does not mean they are out.

LOL, I am old enough to remember the big hosiery sections in department stores and the huge displays of L'Eggs and No Nonsense pantyhose in drugstores. I would have to disagree that sheer nude pantyhose as as popular as they used to be.

I also remember those big displays. Pantyhose meant FREEDOM! Freedom from girdles (at 20 and weighing in at a whopping 101). Freedom from longer skirts that hid the garters. Freedom from those icky enforced toes when the lovely sandalfoot style came out. For me, those hose keep me warm, hide the woopsies and make my legs look 20 years younger than without..

BUT - if I were 32 in the Caribbean, I would have nothing on under that short dress than a little pair of silk bikinis and it would only show in the extra swish in my walk. Above -wear a Mona Lisa smile. One doesn't have to look sleazy,just a tad naughty, but nice.

There is no one fashion - only fashion trends. Look right for who you are ,at the age you are. If you look happy and confident. .If the looks you get look pleased, not shocked, you have it right.

HA! I'm 70 plus, and I only take sandals, both for casual and dressy use, on cruises to warm weather climates. And I never pack panty hose. My legs are still well shaped, but my skin is beginning to show my age. Still, I will continue wearing my sandals with bare feet and legs. It's much more comfortable, and I don't feel out of place with my choice.

I attended a ballroom dance last night and made an effort to see how many women wore hose with sandels. Most women over 50 had them on under 50 went without. Never really noticed before. Actually had to get close to tell on women that were wearing nude hose.

You know, I'm with you here..I don't get it either..

I have a second home in Jamaica and you would be surprised how many women there wear hose in the sweltering heat..to work and to church..my MIL was from there and even in Fla if you go to her church on a hot summer day you won't see a bare leg in the house, regardless of age. They will tell you "it just doesn't feel right to wear a dress without them..it doesn't look right"

I am convinced more and more it's a cultural thing..not an age thing...some dresses look hideous without hose..even in Fla on a cool day you'll see women wearing boots, tights, and even hose..cool for us might be in the 60's. I'm not going to wear a black wool dress with long sleeves and no hose..it doesn't look right.

I think hose is making a comeback..if you look at finer department stores you'll see all kinds..and the deneer is even more thinner than what it used to be so it makes your skin tone look even so the outfit overall looks more finished. You wear what makes you feel comfortable, beautiful, and accents the outfit.

Where's Mrs. CJW...she'll be moritifed at what I just said..LOL

Archived