Karaoke songbook

SilkShirt

We never go to karaoke in barrooms at home. However on vacation its usually a fun activity we look forward to. I've read some negative reviews of the karaoke song book having a very poor song selection. I assumed that Celebrity would have a great selection of the standards, broadway, Frank, Nat, Tony ect. for the over 40+ aged customers their serving. We'll be on the Equinox soon. Can anyone elaborate of the song book?

Thank you.

I was hoping that on a classier cruise line like Celebrity that they would not lower themselves by providing Karaoke as a form of entertainment.

I am not paying to hear my fellow shipmates bark out songs.

You needn't fear, they hold the karaoke in a lounge, and you do not have to attend. For those of us who enjoy listening and participating, it's a welcome entertainment. Some of us have some talent, and I look forward to singing a song or two to my DW, including, if possible, one or two of the songs I sang to her on the occasion of our wedding. The last cruise, I had the pleasure of listening to a young woman that really should be singing professionally. And I find it's fun listening to the ones who really shouldn't be singing at all, but their heart is in it. Each to his own.

To answer the OP's question, the song book varies with the ship, or possibly they've changed it. I had been looking forward to trying one on our last cruise on Summit that I had wanted to try the year before on Solstice, but it wasn't offered. Possibly S-class ships have a better songbook than M-class or Century.

The song book is really poor, in my opinion. LOTS of very slow ballads, and random selection, like "The Atchison, Topeka, and The Tennessee". While it's one of my favorite songs from a musical...it has like, 12 parts.

I only went on Eclipse, and if you're used to "good" karaoke, the sound is really bad.

The karaoke book on Equinox this February was terrible. So much so that when I mentioned it to one of the activities staff, he said "I KNOW! We tell them all the time, but they won't change it unless the customers complain, so be sure to say something on your comment card!"

We are in our 30s, so we're not necessarily the target audience, but my DH loves to sing jazz standards and was having a terrible time finding anything decent in that genre. Even the Elvis selection sucked! It was obvious that they were using a cheap-o company that refuses to pay for the rights to big hits, so the book was filled with B-side duds that no one has ever heard of. The few decent songs had terrible, cheesy arrangements. Really, really not fun.

Anyway, I don't know if it was due to the lack of decent music, the demographics on our sailing or just a general lack of interest, but they had a very hard time getting people to sing the nights we attended karaoke, and the atmosphere was pretty tame and boring. Definitely nothing like what I experienced on my Carnival cruise - karaoke was a party every night with them!

The song book is really poor, in my opinion. LOTS of very slow ballads, and random selection, like "The Atchison, Topeka, and The Tennessee". While it's one of my favorite songs from a musical...it has like, 12 parts.

I only went on Eclipse, and if you're used to "good" karaoke, the sound is really bad.

I had to look up the song."On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe"

It reached number 1 in 1945. Johnny Mercer, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Rosemay Clooney, Harry Connick Jr have all recorded this song.

I'd much rather hear this than some this the popular music today. I'll take Rosemay Clooney over Britney Spears, and Harry Connick jr over any rapper.

I'm a big Mario Lanza fan. With any luck they'll have "Be my love"

The karaoke book on Equinox this February was terrible. So much so that when I mentioned it to one of the activities staff, he said "I KNOW! We tell them all the time, but they won't change it unless the customers complain, so be sure to say something on your comment card!"

We are in our 30s, so we're not necessarily the target audience, but my DH loves to sing jazz standards and was having a terrible time finding anything decent in that genre. Even the Elvis selection sucked! It was obvious that they were using a cheap-o company that refuses to pay for the rights to big hits, so the book was filled with B-side duds that no one has ever heard of. The few decent songs had terrible, cheesy arrangements. Really, really not fun.

Anyway, I don't know if it was due to the lack of decent music, the demographics on our sailing or just a general lack of interest, but they had a very hard time getting people to sing the nights we attended karaoke, and the atmosphere was pretty tame and boring. Definitely nothing like what I experienced on my Carnival cruise - karaoke was a party every night with them!

Thank you for the warning. I'll lower my expectations.

I hope that the person responsible listened to you.

I had to look up the song."On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe"

It reached number 1 in 1945. Johnny Mercer, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Rosemay Clooney, Harry Connick Jr have all recorded this song.

I'd much rather hear this than some this the popular music today. I'll take Rosemay Clooney over Britney Spears, and Harry Connick jr over any rapper.

I'm a big Mario Lanza fan. With any luck they'll have "Be my love"

Oh, I'm a huge Rosemary Clooney/Judy Garland fan....really any musical, especially the 40's. But the arrangement is for more than 5 singers plus a chorus. Not generally a song you'd flip to in a book at the bar and turn to those around you, and say, Oh, let's do this one! LOL

"Oooh, Oooh, Ooooh" I do love that song...

I thought HAL was for the over-the-hill gang. It sounds like Celebrity is. I do hope there are people under 70 on my cruise in November.

I have met other passengers in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s,

and 80s on my cruises.

I was hoping that on a classier cruise line like Celebrity that they would not lower themselves by providing Karaoke as a form of entertainment.

I am not paying to hear my fellow shipmates bark out songs.

No worries, you don't have to go, and it's free!:D

The karaoke book on Equinox this February was terrible.... Really, really not fun. Anyway, I don't know if it was due to the lack of decent music, the demographics on our sailing or just a general lack of interest, but they had a very hard time getting people to sing the nights we attended karaoke, and the atmosphere was pretty tame and boring. Definitely

Such lackluster pariticipation and mediocre performance may invariably be ascribed to the twin culprits of alcohol deficiency and "formalphobia." :)

Seriously, consider that the best advice I ever received regarding acting, singing or dancing is: "If you can't do it right, do it BIG!"

Archived