Riviera Deck

kazbar

Hi :)

Can I ask you all about your opinion on the Riviera deck? I have read so much on this site and most people seem to go for the higher decks.

The Riviera deck is the cheapest (we have booked 2 connecting OV rooms), has only crew quarters below and staterooms above (therefore quiet one would assume), and is low on the ship (therefore less ship movement possibly). I can't understand why everyone doesn't want to be there.

I realise that it is no good for people who want balconies or suites but I can't see any other reason for wanting a high deck. Isn't everything just an elevator ride away? Its not like we have to walk up the road to get to the restaurant or anything.

What am I missing? :confused:

Tons of cabins, kind of boring to walk down the hall, but the only real thing against it is more elevator time. How much is taking the elevator worth to you...lots stay on the bottom two decks where most of the insides and OVs are ...but to listen to folks here you would think the opposite.

I like Riviera, I bet it's the quietest deck on the ship. I like being down close to the water too.

But I am torn right now between booking a Riviera ocean view and a balcony higher up. I had my first balcony a couple months ago and it was a really really nice feature.

My wife & I stayed on the Riviera deck on the Valor last year, we found it to be a better solution we walked around more & it was really good when you came back on board when in port as you only have to go up one level.

Enjoy :)

You are missing nothing. If you're high up you also have to use elevators. There are advantages to being low down and some to being high up...so I stick with Main deck which is cheap and convenient.

I never understood paying more for the same cabin on a higher deck.

our first cruise on the inspiration we were riveria. we could hear the anchor chain when they dropped it early in the am at ports. seems like alot of families with kids r on this deck. and yes, elevator time.

but, it is handy on ports days! we r lookin at the legend, only riveria deck has ov cabins. everything else is a balcony or is.hmmmmm

You do have to take elevators when you could otherwise take the stairs if you were on a higher floor. That's it.

Some people have it in their mind, like we perceive it was in the old days, the class system. If you were on a lower deck, that meant you were a lower class of a person. If it ever was like that, it's certainly not like that anymore. The rooms look the same, have the same stuff, and are just as big as the same style of room (interior, OV, etc) on a higher floor.

Nothing wrong with Riviera. Just booked it again for Jan 2012 on Liberty. Elevator theory is B.S. When you are going up, the elevator comes all the way down to pick you up before it picks the higher floors up. Yes you have to make more stops going up, but sometimes those people can't get on because it is already full. This will be our 4th cruise in 14 months, 3 on Riviera. We get to eat the same food, see the same shows, and go to the same places, all for a lot LESS money. Thanks to all you who subsidize our cruises by booking the more expensive rooms.:)

You're missing nothing, and have it figured out exactly. Riv deck is GREAT IMO. Other than the obvious reason for being on a higher deck (balcony) the only other reason I can think of for wanting a higher deck, is the status symbol of saying "Oh, I'm on deck 8". :rolleyes:

"SKY"

We stayed on the Riviera deck on our last cruise. We have always had balconies but given that we were traveling with a group and spent more time up on deck with friends the OV on the R deck was perfect. We always use the stairs (to burn off all of the food we eat, but I usually eat more than I can burn off!!) The only downside that I found was it did take a bit more walking and stair climbing to get to where the "action" is. Would I stay in an OV on the R deck again? If the price was right and knew I would not use a balcony I would...I slept well, (always do on a cruise) and it seemed to be very quiet in the halls:)

For my first cruise I booked at the last minute and all that was left was an inside on the Riviera. I was perfectly happy down there. All of my cousins were on a higher deck, but it was just a short ride on the elevator to get to their deck.

Second cruise, I booked a year in advance and deliberately chose the Riviera deck again. I knew from looking at my cousin's rooms on the previous cruise that their rooms were just the same as mine. But I paid a lot less for mine. :D

from #33 on CCL....19 of my cabins have been on Riv Deck....le$$ has allowed me to put it toward my 38 cruzes since fall of '06 ! have gotton upgrades to OS rms, but like the dark too. Mathmatically, I figger that savings has bought me 9 of those cruzes! Your decision

nothing wrong with riviera. Just booked it again for jan 2012 on liberty. Elevator theory is b.s. When you are going up, the elevator comes all the way down to pick you up before it picks the higher floors up. Yes you have to make more stops going up, but sometimes those people can't get on because it is already full. This will be our 4th cruise in 14 months, 3 on riviera. We get to eat the same food, see the same shows, and go to the same places, all for a lot less money. Thanks to all you who subsidize our cruises by booking the more expensive rooms.:)

shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

We stayed on the Riviera on the Victory in January and liked it. We didn't mind the stairs as the main lobby and restaurants were only 2-3 floors up. It was even nicer on port days when the gangway was only one floor down, you could get off the boat rather quickly. If you're like us, you're never in the room much anyway other than to shower and sleep.

I'm typically on Riviera. I prefer being able to go on more cruises, and stay cheaper, than moving up the ship, and cutting down on my number of cruises. That said, I will indeed be in a balcony cabin on the Lido deck for my 15th anniversary! But that's a special occasion. Travelling with DH and DD and parents, we go for the cheapest we can get...

We were on the Glory in January. This was our 1st cruise and we stayed in the midsection of Riviera. It was nice and quiet. The elevators take you up to the top decks so fast it doesn't matter if you are at the bottom. There is also more than one set of elevators so you never have to wait more than a couple of minutes. We would definitely stay on Riviera again especially since the inside cabins look exactly the same no matter what deck you are on. :)

We booked Riveria on our first cruise , and have booked Riveria again for Jan 2012 on the Glory. I wait for the free upgrade call if it comes. The ship is what I have come to see not my room, and I would much rather have the extra $$ in my pocket.

Having said that if I could afford a balcony I would .

Archived