Israel dropped for the rest of 2011 by Costa

Goldryder

Sea / shipping contracts, carriage of goods and passengers contracts are some of the most tightly contracts in the world, built up over centuries of experiences.

If you have a problem(s) with Costa's annoucement, don't start whining here on CC - do something about it. Contact your TA and / or Costa.

For me CC is a forum to diseminate information and not a "Dear Auntie - can you help I ahve a problem column in the Mirror".

I am no fan of Costa's Service / Puböic Relations department, but it doesn't help you or anyone else by having a go at another CC member just because they do not agree with your view.

Ron

Sheesh......

I am sorry that you are so upset and angry at losing a couple of ports on a cruise...I mean, how positively awful and life changing it will be for you....

You booked a cruise consisting of a set number of days, that is what you will get...itineraries change all the time and if you must go to a specific port, then go on a land trip, as cruises are never guaranteed to go to any port listed in the itinerary.

Consulting a lawyer....<sigh>

Save your money for that land trip to Israel.....or better still use that money wasted on lawyers on sending a donation to the Japanese people who have lost their homes, their lives, the livelihoods, their families.....they deserve help, they deserve to be upset and angry about what has happened...but you know what? They take it in their stride, they are a proud nation, they don't act like cry babies when they don't get their own way...they accept life for what it is and when something goes wrong they pick themselves up, dust themselves off and they help each other to survive.

Whining about a couple of missed ports on a cruise when millions of people are fighting to survive after the greatest natural disaster in history makes me ashamed to be a human being.

Get some perspective, for goodness sakes...two ports is not the end of the world!

Obviously you have unlimited funds....i however have to work hard to go on vacation....you are right...when there are other people out there suffering who am i to complain...however i have every right to be upset at my money not being spent in the manner that i wanted it to be spent. yes when looking at the grand picture of life this is insignificant. but you have no right to say i have no right to be annoyed.

Duck - I am throwing a spanner in. Has anyone asked Costa if they can defer their cruise to say next year (same places) if they are doing this type of cruise again - or if there is an alternative cruise they can transfer to? I empathise with everyone who has booked the cruise for the itinerary - that is what we all do - pick a good intinerary - then arrange our leave from our employers - for those of us still working - and so it goes on. The crew on these ships are in a dreadful position as well - they don't make the rules - they follow orders and of course they are at the receiving end and usually cop the brunt of passengers displeasure - which is totally unfair. How do you think they are going to feel - I bet if they could throw sickies for this itinerary - they would. Yet they will have to paint the smile on - be nice - get abused - I bet they are looking forward to this cruise as much as you are.

we are supposed to be going as well.....my ta said all they are offering is a 100 dollar us on board credit or a 200 us dollar voucher for a future cruise....um...i don't even want to go on this one now. do they really think i want to go on another one? ...the other alternative they gave us was to allow us to go on the cruise leaving on march 24th. at first they said they were taking israel off the itinerary for "safety precautions due to tension in the region" but yet they are still going on the 13th and 24th? helloooo......something is seriously wrong. also they renamed the cruise on their website as "greece, cyprus" from the original "holy land"....sounds like "bait and switch" to me! I have an attorney looking into the contractual agreement to see if there is any way to get our money back. I already spent 1200 usd on flights to rome (where we have been twice already) and don't want to spend any more money on a trip we didn't want to go on. we booked it for egypt and israel not cyprus and rhodes and marmaris! extrememly frustrating. this is extrememly bad business on costas part! they should at least be covering the cost of the 3 extra ports excursions to cover the fact that we had no intention on spending valuable money and valuable vacation time in these places that were not scheduled ports. BAD BAD BUSINESS! ....anyone who has any more luck than we did please Help!!! ......ps....best of luck with your wedding!

Thanks the wedding on Saturday went a lot smother then this the honeymoon is going :)

Well I went yesterday and talked with my TA and she FINALLY got an e-mail from Costa on Friday evening saying that all stops in Israel have been canceled for 2011 but are still on for 2012. The email did go into why Egypt was canceled but NOT Israel. They did offer us $200 for a future cruise and we would not get that voucher until after the ship has sailed. The TA agreed with us that we are paying a lot more than a typical Greek cruise and we are very justified for feeling the way we feel right now. She went on to say that she will keep pushing Costa for some type of reimbursement, on board credit or an upgrade because after this lack of communication from Costa I don’t have any desire to sail with them again. She said she would keep me posted and I therefore will keep you all posted.

(Also she did receive an Email from Holland America yesterday saying that they were going to cancel their port stops in Israel now....)

Please keep me posted what your lawyer says.

Sheesh......

I am sorry that you are so upset and angry at losing a couple of ports on a cruise...I mean, how positively awful and life changing it will be for you....

You booked a cruise consisting of a set number of days, that is what you will get...itineraries change all the time and if you must go to a specific port, then go on a land trip, as cruises are never guaranteed to go to any port listed in the itinerary.

Consulting a lawyer....<sigh>

Save your money for that land trip to Israel.....or better still use that money wasted on lawyers on sending a donation to the Japanese people who have lost their homes, their lives, the livelihoods, their families.....they deserve help, they deserve to be upset and angry about what has happened...but you know what? They take it in their stride, they are a proud nation, they don't act like cry babies when they don't get their own way...they accept life for what it is and when something goes wrong they pick themselves up, dust themselves off and they help each other to survive.

Whining about a couple of missed ports on a cruise when millions of people are fighting to survive after the greatest natural disaster in history makes me ashamed to be a human being.

Get some perspective, for goodness sakes...two ports is not the end of the world!

You know, I am sorry but I take offense to this. I grew up in a military family and spent some time in Japan. We actually still have friends and family stationed all over there and I am worried about them and pray for them every day and have even talked to the many of them. I have donated money to them, not that it is any of your business. BUT this has NOTHING to do with going on a so called “Holy Land Cruise” and there was no need to bring them into this discussion.

While we are on the topic, I have never ever blamed, yelled, argued or screamed at people working for a company when it is so obviously not their fault but their companies fault.

I totally agree with you. I am a first time cruiser, along with my husband, and we fully researched before booking our April 4th "Holy Lands" cruise on the Pacifica.

We realized when we booked anything could change at a drop of a hat due to weather or who knows what (wouldn't have predicted the uprising in Egypt, though).

I'm not concerned about the change in itinerary -- we are taking an awesome vacation and we're going to have an amazing time. That's that.

I'm now more concerned that I'm going to have a bunch of grumpy complainers surrounding me for 11 days, due to missing ONE PORT. I say one port because no one balked at canceling Egypt and only started complaining now about Israel. If Israel is the only thing you cared about seeing on this cruise, why would you only want to go for ONE out of ELEVEN days? (11 days for the Pacifica cruises, anyway)

I really hope that I do not see the kind of attitude and bullying that Goldryder saw. I'm really looking forward to this trip (it's my first time in Europe) and I don't want it spoiled by bad attitudes. I hope the people who will be cruising with me can understand that changes were made, get on with it and have a good time. You know that when people come into something with a bad attitude, EVERYTHING is going to be in a negative light to them. I guess I can just look forward to the crew liking my husband and I for being a ray of sunshine! =P

If a first time cruiser can understand the small print and accept it, then I cannot fathom why no-one else can.....unless you all only want to make trouble on the ship with her crew.

Eyris...I truly hope that you do not experience the kind of bullying that I saw on my cruise by these people. I was able to step in and defend the crew and put the bullies into their place...something the crew cannot do (they can think what they like to say but are unable to, as Dizzy rightly stated, they have to remain calm and smiling regardless).

As for those on the ships who are determined to make a fuss, well more fool you. You won't get anywhere by it, unless you want to purposely upset the crew who work exceptionally hard to make your cruise as enjoyable as they can - even under harsh circumstances. Do not demand to see the captain (as the bullies did on my cruise last year), do not decide to boycott the Captain's or last Gala night dinner as both just show you up for what you are...bullies & spolt children (just as those on my cruise did last year).

In some ways I am glad I posted this on CC and not hung back til you got onto the ships...venting your spleen on here over something so insignificant, is probably better than making yourself look foolish on board.

Eyris...enjoy your cruise, and its so great to have someone who is realistic in their expectations, makes a refreshing change :)

Thanks the wedding on Saturday went a lot smother then this the honeymoon is going :)

Well I went yesterday and talked with my TA and she FINALLY got an e-mail from Costa on Friday evening saying that all stops in Israel have been canceled for 2011 but are still on for 2012. The email did go into why Egypt was canceled but NOT Israel. They did offer us $200 for a future cruise and we would not get that voucher until after the ship has sailed. The TA agreed with us that we are paying a lot more than a typical Greek cruise and we are very justified for feeling the way we feel right now. She went on to say that she will keep pushing Costa for some type of reimbursement, on board credit or an upgrade because after this lack of communication from Costa I don’t have any desire to sail with them again. She said she would keep me posted and I therefore will keep you all posted.

(Also she did receive an Email from Holland America yesterday saying that they were going to cancel their port stops in Israel now....)

Please keep me posted what your lawyer says.

Okay, this is interesting. If HAL also is dropping their port calls in Israel then maybe there IS something behind all this that doesn't meet the eye.:confused:

Okay, this is interesting. If HAL also is dropping their port calls in Israel then maybe there IS something behind all this that doesn't meet the eye.:confused:

Hey Chuck...you know what the link is don't you?

Who owns HAL & Costa...Carnival Corp.

What do you feel about the order coming from Miami to drop Israel...especially as the past relationship with Israel under Bush has seemingly cooled somewhat under Obama.

It will be intersting to see what comes of this, ie will the other CCL owned lines also drop Israeli Med ports (Costa have yet to drop Eilat but that is probably due to it being on the quieter side of Israel, ie nowhere near the troublespots of West Bank & Gaza).

It's possible that the US authorities have warned CCL off and as a result CCL have passed that warning onto their respective cruise lines. Intelligence agencies play their cards close to their chest, so they could have been tipped off by Israel...especially with a new Gaza flotilla being put together this year.

Hey Chuck...you know what the link is don't you?

Who owns HAL & Costa...Carnival Corp.

I didn't know that Carnival also owned HAL. So I guess my next question is, is there any other cruise lines that are NOT owned by Carnival cancel their stops in Israel???

I didn't know that Carnival also owned HAL. So I guess my next question is, is there any other cruise lines that are NOT owned by Carnival cancel their stops in Israel???

These are all owned by CCL......thus they ultimately take orders from Miami, though most of the time their homebased main offices issue the instructions to the fleet & staff, Miami always has the last word though...

HAL

Costa (Costa now own Ibercruceros & AIDA outright, ie no interference from Miami)

P&O UK

P&O Australia

Princess

Cunard

Seabourn

At present Israel is on the books for Princess, however that could change at any given time.

The rest of the lines have yet to announce changes, but that does not mean that they will not. They are biding their time....they will be actively monitoring things though, ie they won't be sitting on their hands, they will be watching, listening and asking questions of their respective government foreign affairs/intelligence agencies and will act as appropriate.

I just checked the HAL website and the only port cancellation news is one in Mexico.

Ally, I'd hate to think all this is something political. Only time will tell, maybe.

Chuck, I wouldn't hold much on the HAL website, the Mazatlan cancellations were only put on there this week...about 10 days after it appeared in the cruise media.

Politics comes into most things, sadly.....some countries over react at the slightest sniffle. It would be a shame if the Gaza flotilla was the cause of this, but on the other hand, it would not surprise me one iota...afterall, what message would it send to have a packed cruise ship caught up in the midst of another fire fight, not to mention that ports in Israel would be on extra high alert in readiness for the new flotilla (once its underway), so the Israeli's may have put in place extra security hurdles that Costa & HAL are not prepared to deal with...and rightly so, afterall why should cruise passengers with a limited time in a country have to waste a couple hours with red tape when they could be off sightseeing?

The flotilla is going to happen, just a case of when...and given what happened last time, I certainly do not blame Costa or any other line putting their passengers safety first and pulling out of the ports.

In actual fact, the second flotilla could cause alot more problems for the Israeli authorities if it reaches Israeli territorial waters.

It appears the flotillas could arrive aroundthe end of May this year and some of the more antagonistic sections involved want revenge on the attack on last year's flotilla.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/170177.html

This new flotilla sounds like it will be really big...I personally would not want to be anywhere near Israeli territorial waters this summer/autumn.

If a reason for dropping the Haifa & Ashdod ports was needed, this new flotilla is quite possibly it.

Found this posted on another website!

(HOLLYWOOD, FLA.) – March 8, 2011Costa Crociere has announced the replacement of its calls in Tunisia, Egypt and Israel for the balance of 2011. While the Italian company values and appreciates the great appeal of these three countries as prime tourist destinations, due to recent events, Costa Crociere has decided to change the itineraries of all cruises that included calls to those countries. The changes will enable the company to efficiently plan and execute its complex technical and maritime operations for the entire season.

For the current 2011 season, all seven-day Mediterranean cruises of Costa Concordia, Costa Serena and Costa Magica that had a scheduled one-day call at Tunis, Tunisia, will be replaced with a one-day call at Malta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, or Cagliari, Italy.

All Mediterranean itineraries with scheduled calls at Alexandria, Egypt, and Haifa and Ashdod, Israel, will be modified and offer alternative calls at Limassol, Cyprus; Rhodes, Greece; Marmaris, Turkey, or the newly added ports of Alanya and Antalya, Turkey.

All of the information on itinerary changes can be checked on costacruises.com, costaclick.com and through Costa partner travel agencies.

Costa Crociere’s highest priority is to ensure for all its guests a relaxing, worry-free experience, and the cruise line is trying to minimize any last-minute itinerary modifications.

Costa Cruises currently confirms all scheduled calls in Egypt, Tunisia and Israel for its 2012 program.

i would never bully crew or ask for captains etc etc etc,....

and also i wasn't picking fight with nobody on here

seems to me its a little clique

i was aiming spleen at head office and the lack of customer service

and this was all

obviously this isn't getting thru - and it appears that my annoyance at this is beneath that of seasoned cruisers! i am annoyed . full stop.

i am not worthy!!! and yes this is the attitude you are giving - i own and operate a service company - and still operate on customer rules...so don't presume to tell me how hard people work etc etc and are not appreciated. i deal with complaints every day - i know how it can be.

i was and still am annoyed at how this is handled. i would lose contract after contract if i just gave two different excuses to a problem.

nevermind!!!

i would never bully crew or ask for captains etc etc etc,....

and also i wasn't picking fight with nobody on here

seems to me its a little clique

i was aiming spleen at head office and the lack of customer service

and this was all

obviously this isn't getting thru - and it appears that my annoyance at this is beneath that of seasoned cruisers! i am annoyed . full stop.

i am not worthy!!! and yes this is the attitude you are giving - i own and operate a service company - and still operate on customer rules...so don't presume to tell me how hard people work etc etc and are not appreciated. i deal with complaints every day - i know how it can be.

i was and still am annoyed at how this is handled. i would lose contract after contract if i just gave two different excuses to a problem.

nevermind!!!

I am with you on this one! well said!

No I do not work for Costa...I worked in the tourist industry for 15 years here in the UK and it was the constant whining about itineraries changing, not enough of this, that or the other that ended it for me. Life is too short to continually moan about things that we have no control over.

As for two missed ports...EVERY cruise line has a right to do so for ANY reason. Think yourselves lucky that Costa have replaced the ports with others rather than have you floating about in the Med for those two days...which I bet they wish they had done.

I do wish I had never posted the information in the first place and left you all to find out the hard way...ie once you got yourselves on board, but then you would have taken it out on the crew instead, which in my book would be disgusting (I saw such behaviour last year, mob mentality due to a swapped port - its pathetic and shameful bully-boy behaviour).

Just go on the cruise, make the best of it. Then save up for a more expensive line...Princess or HAL...who have Isreal in their itineraries, then moan like wotsits when they too drop them like hot bricks.

It is obvious you ARE an employee of Costa...and have plenty of free time to troll this forum....and "life is too short" for THAT! people have a right to be upset when their expectations aren't met for a non viable reason. If Costa is owned by Carnival and so is Princess which you had brought to my attention in a previous thread then why is it that it is not safe for Costa to pull into Israel but it is perfectly safe for their other ship? hmmm....and it costs the company MORE money to float around at sea since it will cost them in fuel and also would cost them more to feed people all day long in the restaurants when they would ordinarily be on an excursion or off the ship with another tour company. Sounds like you have Costa's best interest at heart and if you aren't an employee you as may as well work for them since you have all the time in the world to defend them.

If a first time cruiser can understand the small print and accept it, then I cannot fathom why no-one else can.....unless you all only want to make trouble on the ship with her crew.

Eyris...I truly hope that you do not experience the kind of bullying that I saw on my cruise by these people. I was able to step in and defend the crew and put the bullies into their place...something the crew cannot do (they can think what they like to say but are unable to, as Dizzy rightly stated, they have to remain calm and smiling regardless).

Eyris...enjoy your cruise, and its so great to have someone who is realistic in their expectations, makes a refreshing change :)

Thanks! =) We are really looking forward to the relaxation and fun. Sounds like you have a pretty amazing trip coming up, yourself!

Also, continuing on the point of safety in Israel, I have to say traveling in that part of the world was making me nervous before Costa announced to cancel the Israeli ports. Who wants to wave to a war ship while sipping their cocktails on the balcony? Sounds kinda scary to me!

As soon as things started happening with Egypt and increasing the tension between Iran and Israel, I felt a little uneasy about the whole thing. Now with a ship of weapons from Iran being found, it just cemented my unease. Iran is an unstable country with a long-standing grudge against Israel and not a lot in their way at this point.

I have bought a Holly Land Cruise to know Israel and now I have a Greek and Turkish Cruise instead. I tried today to cancel my April 27th cruise with Costa Pacifica and the answer is "no changes in cancellation policy" in spite of Israel ports cancellation without a clear reason. Costa NEVER MORE!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Firstly,

Goldryder please don't stop posting because of little minded people you information has been vital to me when I planed my first cruise and my second, and whilst I may not have acknowledged that at the time I am now. I think maybe they should look at how long you have been sailing might posint to why you have time on your hands now:-)

2ndly I have just booked the holy land cruise for the 27th of December, this is supposed to be the first cruise they will go back to Israel & Egypt. I know if they cancel these ports it will be for mine, my partner and my daughters safety. They would not risk pissing off paying customers for a political reason and to suggest that is a bit naive, the dollar/Euro/Pound is what runs this world these days politicians are just along for the ride.

I am travelling with Costa again because they were so great the first time, even putting up with my sooking on them because the airline lost my bag. I hope they keep growing strong so I can take my grandkids sailing when the kids are too old too take :-)

If in fact the expected Gaza flotilla is the reason for Costa's cancellation, then it's Costa's concern for the safety of its passengers. Those who continue to complain about loosing the previously scheduled port call can't see the forest for the trees.

And while I sincerely hope this never happens, if the bombs and bullets start flying in the southeastern Mediterranean, I certainly wouldn't want to be sailing merrily by on a big white cruise ship.

In actual fact, the second flotilla could cause alot more problems for the Israeli authorities if it reaches Israeli territorial waters.

It appears the flotillas could arrive aroundthe end of May this year and some of the more antagonistic sections involved want revenge on the attack on last year's flotilla.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/170177.html

This new flotilla sounds like it will be really big...I personally would not want to be anywhere near Israeli territorial waters this summer/autumn.

If a reason for dropping the Haifa & Ashdod ports was needed, this new flotilla is quite possibly it.

Have any of you actually read the link that Goldryder posted above???

Here are some quotes from it:

"On 23rd January 2011, Israeli regime released a report..."

"Under the fourth Geneva Convention, Israel as an occupier....But, the Zionists"

"Israeli regime's brutal siege..."

I'm not even going to bother quoting the rest of that last one, since it is filled with typical anti-Israel propaganda, lies, and distortions.

According to Wikipedia:

"Press TV (which is the link that Goldryder sent) is a 24-hour English language global news network owned by Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB). Its headquarters are located in Tehran, Iran."

I should have been suspicious when Goldryder tried to pre-empt any further responses by those of us who live in Israel in previous post, but now it certainly is clear to anyone what is going on here:

Goldryder is not a Costa employee. He has a personal agenda going on, and it is completely political- and I might add, mean spirited, nasty, and biased.

Let me say it again, as an American ex-pat who has been living in Israel for the past 10 years:

Israel is safe. Any flotilla that may or may not be on the way poses absolutely no threat to either cruise ships in the area, or to Israelis or tourists on land, just as none of the previous flotillas did. Carnival received no secret intelligence from Italian, Israeli, American, or any other country's intelligence agency. C'mon- do you really think that CCL would somehow be privy to secret intelligence that no other company had??!!

Even the fact that Goldyrder has brought up the flotilla should have raised a red flag. The fact that he reads anti-Israel news from an agency based in Iran speaks legions. To bring those reports to this forum, present them as reliable news content, and use them to convince cruisers that Israel is unsafe is inexcusable.

As to Costa, it sure seems to me that Costa is trying to save money by canceling its Israeli ports. And, if I had booked one of those cruises specifically because it was being sold as a 'Holy Land cruise' you better believe I'd be pissed, and looking for a way to either rebook or some significant compensation. That cruisers found out about the cancellations here, and not from the cruise line certainly smells fishy. Yes, cruise lines have a right to cancel ports, and cruisers sign a contract to cruise with that understanding. Yes, there are unforeseen circumstances, bad weather, ship malfunctions, revolutions, pirates, and a whole slew of things that can cause a port to be skipped. But these Costa Israeli port cancellations are none of the above.

I'm Israeli. I live here. The country is safe. There is NOTHING at all to indicate that Israel is anything but safe, now, for the short, or for the medium term (I can't define what 'long term' is, so I'm not including it, but I have no worries). [After decades of living from one conflict to the next, the Israeli 'street' is very sharp on picking up even the tiniest sniff of any possible upcoming trouble. I've been asking around. There are NO concerns!]

Goldyrder- you've been exposed. Enough!!!!

Archived