Does anyone think the Captains CLub levels will change?

iandjm

Hi,

Just a question..... Following on from Royal Caribbean changing the Crown and Anchor society loyalty club levels, given the close link between the two, do you think Celebrity will do the same? I have thought for a long time that an elite plus level would be a good idea?

Cheers

Ian

Would like to see a change to number of nights sailed. It's too easy to become Elite with short cruises. The numbers keep on growing so Elite events are crowded. Of course, those already Elite should be 'grandfathered' in. Would like to see an Elite Plus level.

Eventually, there will be change. It's not like there's a long tradition of current CC benefits that's inviolate. I think we're already seeing signs-- there was a recent thread wherein people described events being held for Elite members, but only those above a certain cruise credit level.

Would like to see a change to number of nights sailed. It's too easy to become Elite with short cruises. The numbers keep on growing so Elite events are crowded. Of course, those already Elite should be 'grandfathered' in. Would like to see an Elite Plus level.

What does 'Grandfathered' in mean please? I've seen the phrase used a couple of times on these boards.

P&O UK have also announced changes to their loyalty scheme. It seems there were too many 'golds' onboard for the benefits to be special anymore.

I just inquired on my last CN cruise with the Future Cruise Sales Mgr and the CC Hostess and they said nothing is brewing now concerning any changes in the program.

Maybe at one time the word was out about some substantive changes but with the economy that seems to have gone by the wayside.

Makes sense to me. Happy with the way it is now. 10+ credits have the same benefits as 150 credits!!! Great deal for the newbies.

Spence

What does 'Grandfathered' in mean please? I've seen the phrase used a couple of times on these boards.

"Grandfathered in" means that people already having reached a certain status would not lose that status if a policy change makes that status harder to reach. As applied to Celebrity's Captain's Club, someone already with 10 cruise credits would still retain their Elite status if a new policy came out stating that one needs 20 credits to become Elite - assuming the cruise line "Grandfathered in" all current Elites.

It does not look like Celebrity will be implementing significant changes in the next year or two; they announced that nothing was being considered shortly after their sister company (RCI) announced their recent changes. Down the road I think it is likely they will make at least one more tier (above Elite) and/or make Elite harder to reach. Some cruises definitely have way too many Elites (there were 800 on my last cruise). I think a tier above Elite would be a great idea, but IMHO we will likely have to wait at least a couple of years.

Totally agree, this is what many other companies do.

"Grandfathered in" means that people already having reached a certain status would not lose that status if a policy change makes that status harder to reach. As applied to Celebrity's Captain's Club, someone already with 10 cruise credits would still retain their Elite status if a new policy came out stating that one needs 20 credits to become Elite - assuming the cruise line "Grandfathered in" all current Elites.

It does not look like Celebrity will be implementing significant changes in the next year or two; they announced that nothing was being considered shortly after their sister company (RCI) announced their recent changes. Down the road I think it is likely they will make at least one more tier (above Elite) and/or make Elite harder to reach. Some cruises definitely have way too many Elites (there were 800 on my last cruise). I think a tier above Elite would be a great idea, but IMHO we will likely have to wait at least a couple of years.

Thank you. I understand now. I've just never heard the term before.

So any changes to the scheme wouldn't affect pax currently qualifying with less points than the new scheme may require if they were Grandfathered in.

I would not bet the farm on being grandfathered. This is not what occurred on Royal. My guess is that there will be a diminution of perks below 20 credits; and, possibly extra perks for those at 20 or above.

Actually people on RCI were grandfathered in when the recent changes were made. Some people went up status, but nobody went to a lower status.

I have heard that many Elite events are too crowded (I wouldn't know personally, because I still have a ways to go to get to Elite).

Could it be that many of the attendees are RCI Diamond and Diamond Plus members who got crossover Elite status? RCI has such a larger passenger base than X.

I have heard that many Elite events are too crowded (I wouldn't know personally, because I still have a ways to go to get to Elite).

Could it be that many of the attendees are RCI Diamond and Diamond Plus members who got crossover Elite status? RCI has such a larger passenger base than X.

That is definitely a factor.

Actually people on RCI were grandfathered in when the recent changes were made. Some people went up status, but nobody went to a lower status.

Sorry, but Diamond, on most ships, went from the unlimited cocktail party to free wine and discounts in another venue.

Sorry, but Diamond, on most ships, went from the unlimited cocktail party to free wine and discounts in another venue.

Ah, that is true. I thought you were referencing RCI's recent change whereby they added new levels (Pinnacle and Emerald) and changed the way credits are accrued (from number of cruises to total nights cruised). A while before this they did lessen some of the Diamond perks, though they are still available on their two largest class of ships.

I predict they will change in May 1 and no longer allow Diamond on Royal Caribbean to automatically be Elite on Celebrity.

Why? Because I am doing a B2B on May 7 for 28 days and will attain my 10 cruise credits on Celebrity at the end of it. I am Elite now because I am Diamond on Royal Caribbean.

I attained my Diamond status just in time to be kicked out of the CL lounge.

This seems to be the way my luck has gone recently (lol).

Tucker in Texas

That change happened 2 years ago.

I attained my Diamond status just in time to be kicked out of the CL lounge.
LOL I know how you feel - I became Diamond the day they made the announcement!!! March 29 2009 I believe!!!!

Archived