Auto Tip

mercede70

After reading the issues that are present on many of the NCL ships regarding poor service, (slow, rude, dismissive) do you alter the auto tip that is already in place?

Before I get berated with auto tip comments, I am not trying to omit or "stiff" anyone and I have never before altered it-I'm just wondering what is the appropriate protocol. I have only cruised 3 times so I am a newbie, but understand that CC responses can sometimes get a bit harsh-please be nice to me..... :o

i won't worry about it until it (May) happens. we have never had a reason to even think about changing it. most people don't have issues and a few blow the issues out of whack.

unless it was really bad and really wide spread, no, i wouldn't change it, i won't give out extra or i would give them a bad write up on the comment cards. the comment cards can make or break the career on a ship.

IF you encounter bad service or rude behaviour don't withold the the service charge because you will be stiffing others that haven't done anything to displease you.

What I would suggest is to bring it the the department head's attention right away so that the situation can be corrected. That way only the 'bad' server/steward/employee is on record and not the other 'good ones'.

As you can read by my signature line I have cruised several times with NCL. They have always had the service fee in place, on each one of these cruises. Not once have I reduced the service fee. If I have an issue I take it up immedately and work to get it resolved.

First...the Daily Service Charge is NOT an auto-tip. There is a big difference between a gratuity and a service charge and many people here are confused by that difference.

That aside, lets put this in perspective...

Each passenger is charged $12 per day for the Daily Service Charge.

How much "service" do you receive in a day?

I think it is safe to say that you receive 5 "services" per day (if not more)

1. Morning Room Cleaning

2. Breakfast

3. Lunch

4. Dinner

5. Evening Room Turn-Down

I think it is also safe to say that you receive service from at least two people for each of the above. Generally, you have two room stewards and usually there is a waiter and a junior waiter at each meal. (Not to mention the behind the scenes people).

So...5 services per day times 2 people per service means that you are being served by at least 10 people per day.

So when you divide your $12 up, (assuming equal shares) each person is receiving $1.20 for the service they provide.

OK...lets say you go to lunch and receive bad service from your waiter.

Is it really worth it to adjust your DSC by the $1.20? My time is worth more than the lousy $1.20.

For me personally....I view the DSC as the MINIMUM for services rendered. I tip as I feel appropriate above that. Good service is tipped....poor service is not.

Additionally, on the rare occasion that I have received less than expected service, I have found that a quick word with the appropriate person in the chain of command has ALWAYS resulted in a satisfactory resolution.

SeaShark,

I'm an Aussie and for some reason when we book on NCL we pay the gratuity up-front - and it is called a gratuity in my documentation, not a service charge.

I've been on numerous NCL cruises and not once have I encountered service that warranted the reduction, let alone elimination, of the DSC. In fact, I feel that the DSC is the minimum that the staff deserves.

First...the Daily Service Charge is NOT an auto-tip. There is a big difference between a gratuity and a service charge and many people here are confused by that difference.

That aside, lets put this in perspective...

Each passenger is charged $12 per day for the Daily Service Charge.

How much "service" do you receive in a day?

I think it is safe to say that you receive 5 "services" per day (if not more)

1. Morning Room Cleaning

2. Breakfast

3. Lunch

4. Dinner

5. Evening Room Turn-Down

I think it is also safe to say that you receive service from at least two people for each of the above. Generally, you have two room stewards and usually there is a waiter and a junior waiter at each meal. (Not to mention the behind the scenes people).

So...5 services per day times 2 people per service means that you are being served by at least 10 people per day.

So when you divide your $12 up, (assuming equal shares) each person is receiving $1.20 for the service they provide.

OK...lets say you go to lunch and receive bad service from your waiter.

Is it really worth it to adjust your DSC by the $1.20? My time is worth more than the lousy $1.20.

For me personally....I view the DSC as the MINIMUM for services rendered. I tip as I feel appropriate above that. Good service is tipped....poor service is not.

Additionally, on the rare occasion that I have received less than expected service, I have found that a quick word with the appropriate person in the chain of command has ALWAYS resulted in a satisfactory resolution.

NCL does not have an auto-tip so the DSC is the closest to what the OP was referrring to...:rolleyes:

Service would have to be really really dreadful before I'd consider lowering it. I may not tip additionally, but I wouldn't change the service fee in place. I take all the criticisms with a grain of salt. Until it really happens directly to me, I don't pay a lot of attention to them.

After reading the issues that are present on many of the NCL ships regarding poor service, (slow, rude, dismissive) do you alter the auto tip that is already in place?

Before I get berated with auto tip comments, I am not trying to omit or "stiff" anyone and I have never before altered it-I'm just wondering what is the appropriate protocol. I have only cruised 3 times so I am a newbie, but understand that CC responses can sometimes get a bit harsh-please be nice to me..... :o

The "appropriate protocol" is to leave the auto tip (Service Charge) in place and take care of any issue with their Superior.

This charge is distributed to staff members that you come in contact with, and some you don't.

If you have a problem with a staff member, please take it up with their Manager immediately.

Personally I don't know where you are seeing that NCL is having staff issues.

On the Jewel in January I couldn't praise all of the staff enough. I never, and I mean never encountered anyone on the ship who was rude, dismissive or slow.

I hope this cleared things up a bit for you.

Once again, thank you for the knowledge and expertise of the more experienced cruisers. I will take any (IF) issues up with a supervisor. I just like to be educated and informed about protocol issues, prior to travel-this way I make the correct decisions instead of gaffing and then regretting decisions in the aftermath. ;)

The way to effectively deal with poor service is to report it to guest services when it happens. That way the offender will be dealt with.

Reducing the tip pool just penalizes everyone on the staff, which is a very unfair response to poor service or bad attitude by one or a small number of people.

Once again, thank you for the knowledge and expertise of the more experienced cruisers. I will take any (IF) issues up with a supervisor. I just like to be educated and informed about protocol issues, prior to travel-this way I make the correct decisions instead of gaffing and then regretting decisions in the aftermath. ;)

It's very wise of you to ask beforehand. We have never had a reason to remove the daily service charge. In fact, we always leave extra for our room stewards and tip additional at the restaurants and bars. Our service has been that great. NCL has a very friendly staff! :) I hope ya'll have a wonderful time.

It's very wise of you to ask beforehand. We have never had a reason to remove the daily service charge. In fact, we always leave extra for our room stewards and tip additional at the restaurants and bars. Our service has been that great. NCL has a very friendly staff! :) I hope ya'll have a wonderful time.

I been on four different NCL ships and I absolutely agree with and do the above. There might be a very isolated case of less than satisfactory service somewhere on occasion (everybody has a bad day eventually), but thinking there are numerous reports of rude, unfriendly, poor service as a common issue on NCL, I don't know where that could come from....with any open minded honesty from the reviewer.

Twice I had issues on a ship one was a screw in my meal and I know that the dining room servers were not responsible but the poor reaction they had to correcting the issue was them. I felt angry at the time and thought that the only way to get satisfaction was to remove the auto tip. I made a complaint and in discussion with the staff they did not want to penalize all the staff so they added $100 OBC which was equivalent to my pocket book of removing the auto tip but it didn't penalize all the staff.:rolleyes:

Twice I had issues on a ship one was a screw in my meal and I know that the dining room servers were not responsible but the poor reaction they had to correcting the issue was them. I felt angry at the time and thought that the only way to get satisfaction was to remove the auto tip. I made a complaint and in discussion with the staff they did not want to penalize all the staff so they added $100 OBC which was equivalent to my pocket book of removing the auto tip but it didn't penalize all the staff.:rolleyes:

I believe this is the way it should be handled all the time. It really to me is just not right to make everyone suffer for one person's ineptitude or rudeness. I think that really is poor and lazy management. If it is determined that the employee is in fact at fault discipline or penalize that employee.

To the OP... make sure you go to the M&G on your cruise as a lot of the top officers/management are there and will hand out their business cards so you will have a direct link to highest authority with whatever issue you may have. Personally I don't think you will ever need to use any of them. I really do believe that poor service like this is very very far and few between.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

And NCL is the only cruise line that I have ever seen have so many officers at the meet and greet with their cards. If you take time also to get to know your staff it will really suprise you how great they are. There are some lines that do not pay at all so they really need us esp. the ones behind the scenes

Because the 'auto tip' (the DSC: Daily Service Charge) is divided among so many crew members, not just room steward or specific waiters, we never reduce or alter in any way that charge. Instead, if there is some service we're dissatisfied with we complain to the appropriate person at the time so it can be dealt with. We've only had to do this ONCE and we've cruised on 7 cruises with NCL, most of them longer than 10 days.

I have never had slow, rude or dismissive service but if I had I would talk to a manager about what happened as soon as possible. I doubt that I would ever remove the service charge as that penalizes everyone not just the miscreants.

That is the best advice I have heard on this forum! What a great way to handle those rare cases in which service issue problems can be handled w/o effecting the entire crew. That way, you feel like the cruise line took you seriously and maybe those issues will get handled (they don't want to give OBC, so they will try and fix it!) yet the entire crew doesn't get hosed.

I may be way off base for posting this, and if so I apologize in advance. I just don't want folks starting to think because they encounter a rude crew member they will get OBC. I honestly believe the reason they were so generous to give you $100.00 of OBC was more to do with finding a screw in your food than the crew members reaction to it. The only reason I say that is that once in a local restaurant here I found a screw in my food. I asked for the manager just to show him so that he could find the source of the screw so that other people wouldn't find one by biting down on it. Luckly I saw it on my plate as shortly after I was served the food. The manager insisted that he not only take care of our charges that day, but gave us a $50.00 gift card for our next visit. I kept telling him that wasn't why I showed him, but he would not take no for an answer. Again, I may be wrong, but it is just my feeling.

the auto-tip(DSC same thing) gives the employees a fair wage(including the pittance the cruise line pays them as base salary). Yes you are paying their wage(as you would also do if the fare was increased to pay the same amount-although it will probably cost more to do the same thing but that is OT)....

for the dining room this includes the wait staff, the dish washing staff and the line chefs-the ones who actually cook the food- not the head chef). for the room staff it includes the room stewards, the supply room and the laundry room-the people who supply the stuff the room stewards use. This "tipping out" has always been the norm on the ships and now is included in the DSC. It also includes the buffet staff. Two lead supervisors also share in the DSC they are the head waiter/mairte D and the asst head housekeeper.

There is some issue as to whether the room service staff is included. I am not sure but sometimes my room service has been brought by the room steward.

The way to recognize a problem employee is to fill out a style card with a complaint about the specific employee. Unless you do that reducing the DSC doesn't get translated in less for them. It might not effect how much they get on this cruise but it will effect their rating and they will get less in the future, retrained or even non-renewed. if you have a serious problem, you should immediately request to speak with their supervisor(the asst housekeeper- who is also in the tipping pool). if you don't get satisfaction then you really SHOULD reduce you tips. Now this may be too much to do on vacation so the style card is the simplest. BTW the HD(hotel director) on some ships has a box right in front of the reception desk which has a sheet to write to HD, The HD any complaint and I promise you he reads every one and WILL get it fixed....

The way to recognize a great employee is one of two ways....the same style card with a compliment will get the employee recognized somehow(sometimes with a day off) or give them dollars extra.

STYLE cards are available at the reception desk.

Taking the DSC off and giving an employee cash just makes it harder for them as they are supposed to turn it ALL in if the DSC has been removed or reduced. If you leave the DSC on they can keep the extra. Do some employees just pocket the cash in this case and not report it? mostly no...as they live in close quarters and everyone knows everyone elses business.

How do you know if the auto tip is getting fairly distributed? What about people who do not auto tip == would the staff even know if they had agreed to that or not? Or are all the auto tips pooled together and distributed and not distinguished by cabin number?

I'll only address your first question with two questions: Really? Seriously?

Not to be more rude than I've already been, but do you actually think that a huge corporation, with its well-established procedures, would go out of its way to steal from its staff? Trust me, if that were discovered, all hell would break loose on the ship. It's not like a bundle of cash is given to the Hotel Director, and he distributes $1 bills at his/her whim. I would assume it is issued in their paychecks.

Now, I have read on these boards that there are lists showing those who have not prepaid their DSC. Don't know from personal experience. I'm sure only the NCL staff could know that. We can't. Not easily, anyway.

--Michael

Archived