Air fare includes transfers??

billie5

I almost always arrange my own transportation, but because of all the uncertainties in the eastern Mediterranean, I've decided to let Oceania handle the air transportation, without deviations. As a matter of fact, the fare was purchased during an Oceania "air fare included" sale.

The embarkation is nominally from Rome. Will Oceania's "air fare included" deal include transfer from FCO to Civitavecchia, or do I have to request and add transfer fees to my fare?

Bill

If Oceania is handling your flights, and IF you are arriving/departing on the day of the cruise, you may purchase Oceania transfers at additional cost. However, if you are reasonably willing to do a bit of research, it is almost always more cost effective to arrange your own transfers.

If you are taking advantage of Oceania's option to request a deviation in your flight plan in order to arrive one or more days early or depart one or more days after the completion of the cruise, the transfer option is not available and you will have to arrange your own transfers for the deviation dates.

In case you are not aware of it, the deviation option may be requested up to 270 days before the cruise. Oceania will present a flight plan that suits your itinerary. You don't have to accept their proposal, but once you do, you will be assessed an administrative fee of $100 per passenger to be paid immediately, and which is non refundable.

Thanks, guys. That is what I would have thought. However, what inspired me to ask is that I just made final payment and received a "Guest Statement" receipt clearly printed out by Oceania and not my TA. When I look down to Air Add Ons, it says:

Air Arrival IAD to CIV Per Person $0.00

Air Return PIR to IAD

Wouldn't you interpret this to mean that transfer is included? I put the deposit on this cruise so long ago that I can not remember the exact Oceania advertisement, but it included air transport (hence the p.p. $0.00 notation, since the air fare was included in the cruise fare) and I have to guess that perhaps the advertised fare might actually have said: "air transport and transfers included." At least that would explain why the Air Arrival, for example, says IAD to CIV and not IAD to FCO.

Does that seem reasonable to you? Does Oceania occasionally advertise fares with both air and transfers included in the fare?

Bill

Thanks, guys. That is what I would have thought. However, what inspired me to ask is that I just made final payment and received a "Guest Statement" receipt clearly printed out by Oceania and not my TA. When I look down to Air Add Ons, it says:

Air Return PIR to IAD

Wouldn't you interpret this to mean that transfer is included? I put the deposit on this cruise so long ago that I can not remember the exact Oceania advertisement, but it included air transport (hence the p.p. $0.00 notation, since the air fare was included in the cruise fare) and I have to guess that perhaps the advertised fare might actually have said: "air transport and transfers included." At least that would explain why the Air Arrival, for example, says IAD to CIV and not IAD to FCO.

Does that seem reasonable to you? Does Oceania occasionally advertise fares with both air and transfers included in the fare?

Bill

The easiest way to verify your situation is to call your TA, or O, directly and ask. That way, you know where you stand and can make your plans accordingly.

Either way, have a wonderful cruise. Kay

The easiest way to verify your situation is to call your TA, or O, directly and ask. That way, you know where you stand and can make your plans accordingly.

Either way, have a wonderful cruise. Kay

Best advice on this thread.

I do believe that the 'free air" is always available with Oceania, it's really not a promotion. The other option is that you can get a credit for not using it. Each situation is different, sometimes it's best to get the credit, sometimes it's best to take the "free air". I actually prefer the term "included air".

Air Return PIR to IAD

Bill

If you've made final payment, then you will soon be receiving your documents

234322.jpg

In your Blue booklet on page 4, you will find a section called "Cruise Details" where your transfers will be specifically listed, if they are included.

If that section still reads: "Please contact your Travel Agent or Oceania Cruises to add Transfers to your Reservation.", then they are not included.

Thanks to all, especially Jim & Stan. As usual, your advice is right on. My hesitation to ask is the not-completely-remote possibility of getting incorrect answers, but I like the idea of checking the final documents.

Bill

This is my first post and I would appreciate some info. This will be our first experience for the Miami cruiseport we would like any suggestions on the best way from the airport to cruise terminal. How much is an approximate taxi fare

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I took Jim and Stan's advice and called both Oceania and my TA. The TA assured me that when you take Oceania air, they will be responsible for the transfers. However, Oceania said no, I must purchase the transfers separately.

This was what I was afraid of, contradictory (or just plain wrong) answers. It is usually more trustworthy to get answers on Cruise Critic. So, anyone out there who has used Oceania to make the air reservation: did you have to separately buy transfers (or do them independently) or were they included by Oceania?

Bill

Well, I took Jim and Stan's advice and called both Oceania and my TA. The TA assured me that when you take Oceania air, they will be responsible for the transfers. you need a new agent :)

Bill

If you just take the included air then you are on your own for getting to/from the ship unless you pay for the transfers

Usually taxis are cheaper anyway

If you are taking the hotel package or new included hotel deal then the transfer is included to the port

Lyn

Transfers from precruise hotel to port are included with Europe 2012 IF that option is taken (or better put, not rejected). Transfers are not otherwise included and are not included with included air alone - must also include the pre-cruise hotel.

Other than under those circumstances (starting with Eurpoe 2012 season and taking the pre-cruise hotel) transfers are not included as several have mentioned above. Your TA is either wrong or misinformed and maybe confused over the recent offering of 'included' transfers with the pre-cruise hotel

Note that this is not transfer from airport to hotel or airport to port. The included trasnfer is hotel to port.

Despite what I write aboive my TA has listed on my invoice a $0 charge transfer from airport to hotel. I am 99.8% certain it is in error.

Hi YoHoHo, For our 2012 Marina TA, we were told by our TA that transfers to precruise hotel from airport and from said hotel to port are included. Hope they are right.:)

Transfers from precruise hotel to port are included with Europe 2012 IF that option is taken (or better put, not rejected). Transfers are not otherwise included and are not included with included air alone - must also include the pre-cruise hotel.

Other than under those circumstances (starting with Eurpoe 2012 season and taking the pre-cruise hotel) transfers are not included as several have mentioned above. Your TA is either wrong or misinformed and maybe confused over the recent offering of 'included' transfers with the pre-cruise hotel

Note that this is not transfer from airport to hotel or airport to port. The included trasnfer is hotel to port.

Despite what I write aboive my TA has listed on my invoice a $0 charge transfer from airport to hotel. I am 99.8% certain it is in error.

Hi YoHoHo, For our 2012 Marina TA, we were told by our TA that transfers to precruise hotel from airport and from said hotel to port are included. Hope they are right.:)

It is confusing

According to the fine print

"Free 1-Night Pre-Cruise Hotel" offer, if applicable, does not include items other than room rate, hotel taxes, hotel porterage and hotel to ship transfers;

Do your own transfers. We just set a transfer up for the Nov. transatlantic. I went on line and booked a pickup at the airport (FCO) to transfer us to the Civitecchia port via private car for 135 euros. The ride is approx. 2 hours or less.

There are less expensive ways to go, such as train and that information is also available on line.

Good luck.;)

Archived