Demographics on a 7 Night Europe Cruise

Dear Royal Caribbean-ers :)

Hope your all having a great day !

Me and my extended family are looking at cruising on a 7 night summer cruise in the Med, and to me, the Grandeur and Voyager itineraries have caught my eye- although I personally prefer the Grandeur (think Voyager will be too big for my taste), I will need to see what they think also. Nonetheless, I do have a query.

I do not want to come across in the wrong way- my travels have been broad and I am most open to international travelers, yet I cannot find myself not wondering regarding the demographics on an RCI 7 night med cruise which exits from either Palma, or Venice. Is it primarily Italian, Spanish fellow guests with a cruise altered for their taste, or a more American/British audience ? The reason I ask this is simply due to the fact that some cruises, such as MSC and Costa are primarily targeted at primarily European guests, and should 3 or so thousand be onboard it may prove to be a different experience in terms of what RCI actually does, if that make sense :p

Thanks ! :D

Just what I observed on our most recent 12 night Baltic cruise (yes, I know the question was about the Med.) We Americans were really in the minority, however the ship (RCI Jewel) still seemed to slant our way..Everything onboard as always is priced in USD..announcements are English first, and the food no different than any other cruise..We will be doing the Western Med onboard RCI Liberty in Aug. out of Barcelona and I will be surprised if it isn't the same..Seems to make no difference to me what language is being spoken by other cruisers..but we did at times have a harder time understanding the English cruisers than the other nationalities that had a accent...Ha! Ha! Love the Brits...:)

In 2010, I sailed out of Italy in July and there were many Italian and Spanish families aboard who made fantastic fellow travelers. The many children and teenagers on the ship were well-behaved and very polite. The most notable difference to me between the Italian departure others was the late hour of dinner and other evening events. Activity onboard went way into the early morning hours.

Like any cruise, if it is a round trip more people from the "local area" if it is not than more Americans/Brits are onboard from my experiences.

Next itinerary comes into play, if it is the same week after week than more locals, if it is one that goes only 1 or 2 times a year and longer than 7 days more American/Brits.

So you are looking at a 7 night ..it will be "locals."

I've been on 4 Europe/Mediterranean cruises, and I think the passengers are usually Americans, Brits, and Germans in the majority, and then other nationalities making up the rest of the passengers.

We did one on the Voyager out of Barcelona and I would say it was 40% english speaking, then the next biggest group would be spanish and a mix of other European countries making up the majority of the rest.

All of the food, shows, etc were geared toward english speaking, but the cruise director gave all announcements in English and then Spanish immediately afterward.

Have done three Royal Caribbean and one Celebrity in the Med. I would say that the majority were British, Irish and American. Also quite a few Canadians. When we departed Barcelona there were also many Spanish but we did not find this when departing Venice. There were some Italians but I think they prefer the Italian cruise lines.

When departing Palma remember that flights there from the UK are cheap but since it is a relatively small island I would not think that the locals will form anything but a small percentage.

Everything priced in USD on board. Food geared largely to the US tastes. There were however good Curries and Pasta dishes.

I don't think there is anything more than a nod to the European tastes. But of course many people go on a US line in order to share the American experience.

Most Europeans are unhappy with the very expensive wine - Its a shame that the Wine list does not reflect very well the area in which the ship is sailing - seems to me that whoever purchases wine is missing a trick.

All announcements etc in English.

I think you will have a great time - so do book !

My last 3 cruises were in Europe, all in the summer months. There were locals, but nothing like Costa or MSC. The majority of passengers on RCI and Carnival in Europe are Brits/Canadians/Americans, a few expats like us (60%-70% anglos overall), and misc European Nationals. RCI is working hard to promote itself in Spain in order to attract more locals, but the economy being difficult in Spain, it hasn't worked out well so far.

Archived