Fun Thread- Mermaid gowns

I have seem to gotten my heart set on wearing a Mermaid gown style for my upcoming cruise on formal night... I ran across this link, what fun!!

http://www.pettipond.com/laterimages/image_mermaid/index.html

More seriously, this is similar to what I tried on today in a taffeta material, more along these lines... See 3rd row from the bottom, the Mori Lee, or the third one on this row.

http://www.promgirl.com/shop/styles_and_trends/mermaid?sr=65&nt=32&ob=da

What do you all think of this style of gown for a cruise... They are suprising flattering. Handles curves well

I'm sure this thread will run the gamut of opinions, but I don't really like the style. I think in some wedding gowns they look lovely but overall, I don't like it. I actually think it's "too formal" for a cruise (bound to ruffle some feathers here!). If you do buy one, please post a pic, though. I'm always interested in what others wear for FN.

Wow they look amazing. Really really beautiful . Some might be a bit dressy but i really love the ones which have the letters SEAN in the pics. I think they would be ok. Dare to be different, if you ahjve to figure to pull it off then go for it. I'd love to see a pic of you in it.:D

It's dress-ier than I would personally go, but it also depends on your cruise. Honestly, some men wear tuxedos and so wearing a gown like that to go with a tux isn't out of the ordinary. I'd say go for it!

We will be on Princess. My past experience with Princess is many ladies do wear full length and my husband will wear a tux. I know this might be more formal then most but I am ok with that. We attend a lot of formals and I am comfortable in formal gowns. I think of the half of pulling off a gown that is a bit over the top is attitude!

When I put one of these gowns on this week-end it immediatley said WOW to me. The one I tried on was the wrong color so I have been studying Curts thread on color! I have 5 weeks to find the right one for the cruise, and of course 5 weeks at the gym!

Personally I have never liked that style of dress but to each their own. I wear long dresses on formal nights but cant' say I have ever seen anyone with a mermaid style. However, if you like it and are comfortable in it, go for it. Whatever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!

I think its a great look and have been looking to add a dress in this cut to my closet for a while. I just need to make up my mind whether I want it ful length or shorter ... or maybe one of each. I've thought that style in the shorter version would be great for a night out dancing every since seeing the 2cnd Dirty Dancing Movie.

http://www.flixster.com/photos/dirty-dancing-havana-nights-dirty-dancing-2-3329344#lsrc:meebph

I'm old enough to remember my mom wearing this style dress for a night out on the town with my dad. She made hers herself and I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world!:D I'm one of those people that believe a person should wear whatever the heck they want if it makes them happy! I say go for it and please do post your final choice!:D

I have seem to gotten my heart set on wearing a Mermaid gown style for my upcoming cruise on formal night... I ran across this link, what fun!!

http://www.pettipond.com/laterimages/image_mermaid/index.html

More seriously, this is similar to what I tried on today in a taffeta material, more along these lines... See 3rd row from the bottom, the Mori Lee, or the third one on this row.

http://www.promgirl.com/shop/styles_and_trends/mermaid?sr=65&nt=32&ob=da

What do you all think of this style of gown for a cruise... They are suprising flattering. Handles curves well

I've never seen anyone wear anything that formal on a cruise. Also, in MHO, these dresses are great for very tall, very thin women. I've never seen a women with hips who looked good in a mermaid. My daughter, who s 5'9" and about 130 lbs wore this style in a weddng, and even she lookied "hippy."

I like the gown, even though you may not find passengers on Princess as formally dressed as you remember. I do think that you need to be young and in good shape to pull off this style -- otherwise, it might look a bit like a "costume".

I've never seen anyone wear anything that formal on a cruise. Also, in MHO, these dresses are great for very tall, very thin women. I've never seen a women with hips who looked good in a mermaid. My daughter, who s 5'9" and about 130 lbs wore this style in a weddng, and even she lookied "hippy."

I haven't seen anything this formal on a cruise lately, but to each his own. I think it depends on personal taste. Culturally for me, "hippy" is a wonderful thing :)

Have fun with your dress! Please post pics, smoothdancer. I know you'll look fabulous.

Archived