News Article - P&O Adds Melbourne As Homeport

P&O Cruises releases 2012/13 program

P&O Cruises will operate seven summer cruises homeported out of Melbourne from late next year, as part of its 2012-13 program which has just been released.

The launch is P&O's biggest ever, comprising a "record-breaking" 126 voyages in total, including a large expansion of short breaks.

New ports of call include Port Lincoln and Kangaroo Island in South Australia, while as well as Melbourne the homeports include Sydney, Brisbane, Fremantle and Auckland.

WA Pacific Sun departures include a series of 12 night cruises to Indonesia, while Pacific Pearl will return to Auckland for five cruises in April and May 2013.

There are two special August 2012 "heritage voyages" planned to mark 80 years since P&O's first Australian cruise, while other highlights include a new four night Christmas shopping cruise from Sydney to Melbourne.

http://www.traveltroll.info/2011/03/p-adds-melbourne-as-homeport.html

That will then make it confusing and the discussions will be split.
I agree, but there will be some that will post in both because they do not like the new way the forum are set up.

To my understanding this new forum is for anything cruise related, any cruise line. Which is why I also posted here.

ie, P&O have their own forum for P&O specific, RCI have for RCI specific, HAL for HAL specific etc.

The point of this new forum appeared to be so that we have somewhere that we can post anything cruise related for any cruiseline, that has to do with Australia & New Zealand cruising, especially as we are getting more and more cruiselines to our waters.

To my understanding this new forum is for anything cruise related, any cruise line. Which is why I also posted here.

ie, P&O have their own forum for P&O specific, RCI have for RCI specific, HAL for HAL specific etc.

The point of this new forum appeared to be so that we have somewhere that we can post anything cruise related for any cruiseline, that has to do with Australia & New Zealand cruising, especially as we are getting more and more cruiselines to our waters.

That is my understanding, as well.

I agree that one should be able to post anything about any cruise line on this forum, it helps if we know about all the goings on.

I would certainly like to hear when P&O are introducing some newer ships than the ones they are sailing, or in some cases fixing, now.

No, bring it on at least we can say some positive things about RCI and other lines now without all the derisory comments.

Paul

I don't think that is the reason, it is more likely that people are trying to work out how the new set-up works.

that may be true but my under standing was that people wanted a P&O forum and a forum for all the other cruise lines that cruise Austalia and nz. because as it is atm is there bits of every thing in both forums.

that may be true but my under standing was that people wanted a P&O forum and a forum for all the other cruise lines that cruise Austalia and nz. because as it is atm is there bits of every thing in both forums.

My understanding is that the 'old' forum is now for P & O exclusively and the new forum is for general cruise topics (as well as other cruiselines) that relate to Aust/NZ.

My understanding is that the 'old' forum is now for P & O exclusively and the new forum is for general cruise topics (as well as other cruiselines) that relate to Aust/NZ.

is that the same thing?

I reckon it is fairly simple really.

I agree with Aus Traveller. It seems to me that now, if we want to post an OP (original posting) regarding anything to do with P&O AUS, then we do so in the old Forum. OP's regarding anything else relating to cruising in Oz waters or Aussies cruising anywhere, go here.

This means that those who have no interest at all in anything to do with P&O AUS, only need to visit this sub-Forum. Those of us who have an interest in P&O AUS matters - plus all other matters relating to cruising by Aussies now should visit both Forums. Of course, many of us visit other cruising Forums elsewhere as well. Not a big deal - it's what the Internet is all about. There are multiple Internet Forums dealing with much the same thing. I have no "loyalty" to any of them - and go wherever I choose. :p

Let's get on with this new situation.

Barry

I agree with Aus Traveller. It seems to me that now, if we want to post an OP (original posting) regarding anything to do with P&O AUS, then we do so in the old Forum. OP's regarding anything else relating to cruising in Oz waters or Aussies cruising anywhere, go here.

This means that those who have no interest at all in anything to do with P&O AUS, only need to visit this sub-Forum. Those of us who have an interest in P&O AUS matters - plus all other matters relating to cruising by Aussies now should visit both Forums. Of course, many of us visit other cruising Forums elsewhere as well. Not a big deal - it's what the Internet is all about. There are multiple Internet Forums dealing with much the same thing. I have no "loyalty" to any of them - and go wherever I choose. :p

Barry

Exactly Barry - it IS that simple. :)

Barry

I agree Barry. At the moment, I am not looking for P&O information, so don't think will be checking the P&O forum that often except to see if I can help with any members questions etc.

With this new forum, it is great to know that there is somewhere us members who are not looking for information on P&O specifically can come to, to keep up to date with cruise news / deals / post cruise line questions for all lines etc, without having to sort through the P&O specific questions.

Especially now with many more cruise lines being offered in Australia & New Zealand waters.

The P&O forum is the same as the other cruise lines - they all have their own forum, but this forum is somewhere for cruising in general and all cruiselines to Aus & NZ waters.

Not saying this has happened but I think before we bite eachothers Heads off we all need time getting used to the new layout of the couple of forums we have going cause it is also doing my head in,

That will then make it confusing and the discussions will be split.

It was already that way before; people would post Rhapsody questions and comments in RCL and P&O Aus for example, amongst others. Now the same thing applies to P&O. You just choose which is more appropriate.

Not saying this has happened but I think before we bite eachothers Heads off we all need time getting used to the new layout of the couple of forums we have going cause it is also doing my head in,

Well said (the section I have put in bold). I'm sorry if this new format is doing your head in. :) Just roll with it and it will all be good. :)

Well some would say lucky.

Melbourne have been ignored for some time by the cruise lines.

They should have at least one really nice ship sailing from there, it's only a day's extra sail from there to get to the Pacific Islands and we, living in Perth would definitely consider flying there to pick up a ship. BUT NOT THE PACIFIC SUN.

I know it's an old subject and probably on the wrong forum but the Pacific Sun is best taken to the knackers yard.

Didn't Princess base a cruise ship there for a while?

We stopped there when we were on the Rhapsody and we really enjoyed our day in Melbourne. If we cruised from there we would like to spend a few days looking around before we set sail.

Paul

Well some would say lucky.

Melbourne have been ignored for some time by the cruise lines.

They should have at least one really nice ship sailing from there, it's only a day's extra sail from there to get to the Pacific Islands and we, living in Perth would definitely consider flying there to pick up a ship. BUT NOT THE PACIFIC SUN.

I know it's an old subject and probably on the wrong forum but the Pacific Sun is best taken to the knackers yard.

We stopped there when we were on the Rhapsody and we really enjoyed our day in Melbourne. If we cruised from there we would like to spend a few days looking around before we set sail.

Paul

With superliners now, it is hard to compare to Pacific Sun. I have cruised twice on Pacific Sun, and while I wouldn't rule out cruising on Pacific Sun completely, I would prefer to cruise on the larger / newer P&O cruise ships or another cruiseline.

That being said, Pacific Sun is better than no ship at all for Melbourne and has recently been refurbished. It will only be based for 8 weeks in Melbourne, so am thinking it is more of a trial to see the demand for cruising out of Melbourne.

Princess does operate some cruises out of Melbourne, I think for the summer months. But don't think it is all year.

I have no idea - but the bottom line is that they don't today. If they did in the past, the fact that they don't today must mean something. Normally businesses don't abandon successful branches.

There are three parts to life - Things that "could be" , things that "should be" and things that "are". "Could be" is only a potential, "should be " is just an opinion or a moral judgement, "are " is reality.

So right now, the reality is that an Australian cruiseline has decided to "attempt" to homeport out of Melbourne. When it does, it will be the only cruiseline doing this. Melbourne is probably a bit of an "iffy" place to run a cruiseship out of on a permanent basis - as it seems so is Newcastle and Fremantle.

But P&O are giving it a go with a ship that they have - an older ship that many have cruised on and enjoyed and continue to enjoy. The others - you know the fancy overseas based ones - only come here for "cherry picking". You won't see them basing themselves out of Melbourne, or Newcastle or Fremantle - certainly not for any length of time. No - they all want to base themselves in Sydney. Well, Sydney is FULL.

I hope that Melbournians take the opportunity now presented to them to support the ship that will be based there - who knows what the future will hold for them if it is successful, we surely know what the future will be if it is not supported.

Barry

I have no idea - but the bottom line is that they don't today. If they did in the past, the fact that they don't today must mean something. Normally businesses don't abandon successful branches.

There are three parts to life - Things that "could be" , things that "should be" and things that "are". "Could be" is only a potential, "should be " is just an opinion or a moral judgement, "are " is reality.

So right now, the reality is that an Australian cruiseline has decided to "attempt" to homeport out of Melbourne. When it does, it will be the only cruiseline doing this. Melbourne is probably a bit of an "iffy" place to run a cruiseship out of on a permanent basis - as it seems so is Newcastle and Fremantle.

But P&O are giving it a go with a ship that they have - an older ship that many have cruised on and enjoyed and continue to enjoy. The others - you know the fancy overseas based ones - only come here for "cherry picking". You won't see them basing themselves out of Melbourne, or Newcastle or Fremantle - certainly not for any length of time. No - they all want to base themselves in Sydney. Well, Sydney is FULL.

I hope that Melbournians take the opportunity now presented to them to support the ship that will be based there - who knows what the future will hold for them if it is successful, we surely know what the future will be if it is not supported.

Barry

Barry, Princess has had ships based in Melbourne for the summer months, for the last couple of years. Dawn Princess & Sun Princess have cruised from Melbourne to the South Pacific Islands and New Zealand. Although they are not based all year here in Melbourne. We have family members that just returned from a Melbourne cruise to New Zeland.

Archived