embarrassed,

Naomi John

I’ve posted similar on other threads on CC, Heald’s blog and his facebook. I just want to get this out more.

New Year’s Eve 2010, friends expressed going on a cruise after hearing us talk about our fun on the past six cruises, (all with Carnival). We gave them our TA’s number, advised them of their options and asked them to let us know. So after some back and forth, our group decided on the Carnival Ecstasy, November 19, 2011, five nights out of New Orleans, LA. We encourage this one as we have been on the Carnival Fantasy when it was in NOLA, and the Carnival Ecstasy was very similar, with the added balcony rooms and Water Park. We were first to book, and decided an OB suite as it was @ $20 less pp, three persons in the room, then a balcony, which did not offer an early saver rate at all, (ok only using CC terms and abrv. If you don’t know ask). One couple with us booked the balcony price; the rest went with OV or IS. Our group is set. I talked about the Evolutions of Fun, the serenity deck, how the layout of the lido was nice on the Ecstasy as I had been on the Fantasy before and they were similar ships.

Then comes March 10, 2011, our ship gets changed. I know it before our TA knows it, which is a shame. I have nothing against the Carnival Elation, read promising reviews; however, so far our bookings have not transferred in full. The couple who booked a balcony room was offered an OB suite for $400 more, when their balcony room on the Ecstasy was only $70, (two persons not three as we were booked, I checked for them and advised them to grab the suite on Ecstasy, but they wanted to be midship), more then an OB. Carnival would not budge. Our TA and her contact at Carnival tried for several hours, but nothing. This couple has cancelled their booking, and I am glad they had travel insurance, because Carnival refused to give them a full refund.

We think we have our room choice, but for our friends, who are first time cruisers, do not. Our TA is working to get them near each other. One already told me, they are going with the flow of things, but this experience may deter them from cruising again.

I am embarrassed for encouraging my friends to book with Carnival.

I do feel for those who were booked on the Carnival Elation out of Mobile, AL. I’m sure their fate is worse then mine. I’m still going on the cruise, for now. However, it is hard to advise the remaining three families, “don’t worry, we’ll have a great time”.

Will welcome any suggestions and or upbeat responses.

With the ship changing, it said they could cancel and get a full refund. Im curious what you mean when you say Carnival wouldnt give them a full refund.

Those who booked Elation out of Mobile get the full refund.

Those who booked the Ecstasy out of NOLA had their cabins transferred to Elation, with no refund or compensation. The Elation does not have the added balconys.

I know its cliche- but you your vacation is what you make it. Take lemons and make lemonade (or add them as a garnish to a drink LOL). I'm sure you all WILL have a great time.

Happy Cruising!:)

I have not read anything bad about the Elation and will always have a great time on a cruise. I'm upset our friends initial experiance is somewhat negative after we told them about the wonderful time and service we have had.

It sounds like you are leaving out that someone booked EARLY SAVER...

because all of you are well outside the Final Payment and could cancel for any reason without paying one red cent.

IF you booked Early Saver, than you knew there were restrictions when you booked it.

Also, the Elation in Mobile and the Ecstasy in New Orleans are to totally different scenerios. A full refund from Mobile because there will be not ship there. Not a refund (on Early Saver) because there will be a ship.

While I am sorry they could not get the balcony...I don't think you were shanghaied.

I think someone booked Early Saver and are now disappointed with the restrictions.

Glad they had insurance...that is what it is for.

I know its cliche- but you your vacation is what you make it. Take lemons and make lemonade (or add them as a garnish to a drink LOL). I'm sure you all WILL have a great time.

Happy Cruising!:)

agreed!! remember, any day on a ship is better than being at work!

go and have a great time!!!

I agree with LHP - unless they booked early saver, they should have gotten all funds returned. Now if the TA did not advise them this was an early saver rate and there were penalties, then shame on the TA. I booked and early saver and had to cancel and paid my $50 cancellation fee. That was the risk I took, and I am still cruising, so i am happy. Can you come back and advise if they did indeed book early saver?

I have not read anything bad about the Elation and will always have a great time on a cruise. I'm upset our friends initial experiance is somewhat negative after we told them about the wonderful time and service we have had.

Well then tell them what I said. All of you should go on the ship not thinking about what "shoulda, coulda, woulda" happened. Relax- EVERYONE will have a great time, and hopefully they can look in retrospect and feel that their experience was not a negative one.

Happy Cruising to them as well! :)

That set of circumstances would be embarrassing or upsetting but go with the flow. It is hard when you recommend or rave to friends or family over anything and have it backfire. Don't be hard on yourself and just roll with the flow. Chances are everyone that goes will be happy clams as they don't know one ship from another. My suggestion is you tell them "I was just informed these changes are a "Special Benefit" we are all getting because you booked with me. Tell them the Captain called you and said he can't wait to meet your friends...then stand in line with them to shake his hand. Ha ha!

Yes, it does suck. The Elation has less amenities than the Ecstasy and you booked the Ecstasy. I don't care what the cheerleaders or the contracts state, no one books a balcony cabin, ES or not, expecting the ship to change to a ship without a balcony! Your friends were caught in a very rare occurrence.

However, it is not worth canceling a cruise! Were your friends offered an OV or IS? Why not take a lesser room and still cruise? That part I don't get.

You may want to examine your TA, also. I have seen other posts from people who booked with a Carnival PVP who had everything transferred automatically, same booking numbers, same almost everything. For you to hear about this before the TA makes me wonder if this TA is of the best caliber...

Since none of you are in the penalty phase yet, why not look for another cruise that will suit all of you guys? I know if I booked a balcony and then was told this I would cancel too. There are lots of other ships, cruiselines and itineraries to choose....

I can't blame your friends for canceling, I wouldn't cruise without a balcony either.

This case is an excellent example of why it is hard to bring in new cruise buddies. A cruise is an entirely different animal than a land vacation. If things go to plan it works out great. But it doesn't take much for it to go south. In a land vacation, if anything starts to go bad, there are lots of options that just don't exist for cruises. So, emphasizing the making lemonade out of lemons attitude is good, but probably isn't the best sell tactic.

I think the couple who booked the balcony should be fully refunded even if they booked ES or at least have the full amount transferable to another booking.

We only book balconies and I would have been very PO'd if the ship change happened and would only get a OV. I would raise holy H....!

If you were cruising by yourself, sure, cancel, do whatever. What I don't understand is canceling when you are going with a group of friends and some of the friends are booked ES and can't cancel without penalty or can't go on another cruise.

Is a balcony so important that you cancel a group cruise with friends? That I don't get.

It sounds like you are leaving out that someone booked EARLY SAVER...

because all of you are well outside the Final Payment and could cancel for any reason without paying one red cent.

IF you booked Early Saver, than you knew there were restrictions when you booked it.

Also, the Elation in Mobile and the Ecstasy in New Orleans are to totally different scenerios. A full refund from Mobile because there will be not ship there. Not a refund (on Early Saver) because there will be a ship.

While I am sorry they could not get the balcony...I don't think you were shanghaied.

I think someone booked Early Saver and are now disappointed with the restrictions.

Glad they had insurance...that is what it is for.

Please, I truely hate when people talk down.

Of course they booked early saver. The problem is they booked a Balcony, an 8A, which I know and have a print out of, was $20 more then an OB on the Ecstasy when we booked. This is why I went with an OB.

Please see below for a wonderful and said update.

You may want to examine your TA, also. I have seen other posts from people who booked with a Carnival PVP who had everything transferred automatically, same booking numbers, same almost everything. For you to hear about this before the TA makes me wonder if this TA is of the best caliber...

That or I read CC. Carnival was not even commenting when I called her. She got on the phone right away.

She is a great TA, totally accessable and knows what she is doing, had her for 7 years. First problem. I think Carnival maybe treating their PVP's first, then other TA's second.

If you were cruising by yourself, sure, cancel, do whatever. What I don't understand is canceling when you are going with a group of friends and some of the friends are booked ES and can't cancel without penalty or can't go on another cruise.

Is a balcony so important that you cancel a group cruise with friends? That I don't get.

I think to this one couple, it was. I don't get either. They had a balcony midship. They were offered an OB suite, (fwd verranda for those who don't know), for $400 more, but they wanted midship, (and the $400 more was way over priced), didn't get it, so they cancelled, see next paragraph.

Anyway, the good/bad news. I spoke with my TA today and because of a carefully crafted argument on her part, the couple with the balcony received a full refund no penalties. They booked an 8A and Carnival could not accomidate with the change of ships. Fair, but sorry they dropped out.

The remaining 3 are still cruising on the Elation, and I know I got the OB we booked. Is it a happy ending, sort of.

Another thing concerning me is they keep saying, "we hear negative things about the Elation". I referred them to this board and have not found any horrible reviews at all, and trust me, I searched. Hope they keep a possitive attitude.

I also know, cruising is not for everyone.

It could be worse...you could have talked your friends into taking their first cruise ever with you and your DH on the Nov 7 Splendor sailing like we did. :D

Don't think we will ever live that one down!

Please, I truely hate when people talk down.

Of course they booked early saver. The problem is they booked a Balcony, an 8A, which I know and have a print out of, was $20 more then an OB on the Ecstasy when we booked. This is why I went with an OB.

Please see below for a wonderful and said update.

That or I read CC. Carnival was not even commenting when I called her. She got on the phone right away.

She is a great TA, totally accessable and knows what she is doing, had her for 7 years. First problem. I think Carnival maybe treating their PVP's first, then other TA's second.

I think to this one couple, it was. I don't get either. They had a balcony midship. They were offered an OB suite, (fwd verranda for those who don't know), for $400 more, but they wanted midship, (and the $400 more was way over priced), didn't get it, so they cancelled, see next paragraph.

Anyway, the good/bad news. I spoke with my TA today and because of a carefully crafted argument on her part, the couple with the balcony received a full refund no penalties. They booked an 8A and Carnival could not accomidate with the change of ships. Fair, but sorry they dropped out.

The remaining 3 are still cruising on the Elation, and I know I got the OB we booked. Is it a happy ending, sort of.

Another thing concerning me is they keep saying, "we hear negative things about the Elation". I referred them to this board and have not found any horrible reviews at all, and trust me, I searched. Hope they keep a possitive attitude.

I also know, cruising is not for everyone.

Sounds like it worked out for the best. I know I wouldn't have been happy not getting a balcony I booked and certainly would not pay $400 more for a suite.....

But Nov. is pretty far off......I think I would have found another cruise. But that's me.

I agree with LHP - unless they booked early saver, they should have gotten all funds returned. ?

It shouldn't matter, should it?? It isn't the ship they booked and the cabin they had isn't available (or did I misunderstand that?)

Good. That was the RIGHT thing for them to do!!

It could be worse...you could have talked your friends into taking their first cruise ever with you and your DH on the Nov 7 Splendor sailing like we did. :D

Don't think we will ever live that one down!

Yeah, good point. LOL.:D

It's good to hear Carnival did the right thing with their booking.

The Elation is a great ship. It doesn't have the water works, but because of that it has an "extra" pool and hot tub where the water works would be. Have a great time!

Archived