anytime dining and vegan menus

Lizzie1213

My teenage daughter became a vegan a couple of years ago. On our last two HAL cruises, she was handed a vegan menu each night after dinner, and asked to order her dinner for the following night. This worked out well, but we had fixed seating.

On our upcoming cruise we have anytime dining. I am not sure if we will be able to switch to traditional seating. Does anyone know how anytime dining works with special menus?

Thank you very much.

I, also, am a vegan and have found Holland America to be extremely accomodating regarding this special diet. ( While there is a vegetarian choice almost every evening it is often not suitable for a vegan.) What I usually do is meet with the dining room manager shortly after embarkation and work out a week's menu. They can serve you your choice at any table. It might take a few extra minutes wait but I can promise it will be delicious! There are also veggie burgers available at the pool cafe and a wonderful buffet salad bar in the Lido.

That's good to hear; I'm a vegetarian, but I prefer to eat vegan much of the time. Is the salad bar available at both lunch and dinner? Were some of the soups vegan, did you recall? I've heard they have a variety of chilled soups.

Thanks!

That's good to hear; I'm a vegetarian, but I prefer to eat vegan much of the time. Is the salad bar available at both lunch and dinner? Were some of the soups vegan, did you recall? I've heard they have a variety of chilled soups.

Thanks!

I was never a fan of chilled soups, until my first HAL cruise. They have the most wonderful cold soups ... my favorites were the chilled fruit soups. A must try ........... enjoy :)

Soups can be very tricky. Even when you think you are getting bean soup or vegetable soup they are usually made with a chicken or beef base. It is wise to ask. However, when you are vegan and ask for a non meat base they have it available in the dining room if you pre-order. The creme/chilled soups are usually yogurt or milk based. By the way - they have the most wonderful soy lattes in the Exploration Lounge. They rival Starbuck's any day! Also, for dessert you can get sorbets that do not have milk in them. Be sure to ask for the non milk sorbets. You won't starve - I promise!

Archived