Do you Do "Walk For Wishes" to support the Make-A-Wish foundation when you cruise?

When and where does the walk take place on Freedom?

It was usually a late morning, they had it in the compass and I believe the CD mentioned it in his morning talk. He may have mentioned it during one of the shows as well.

I think it was one of the sea days. Maybe someone can comment that it usually occurs on a Sea Day.

It was usually a late morning, they had it in the compass and I believe the CD mentioned it in his morning talk. He may have mentioned it during one of the shows as well.

I think it was one of the sea days. Maybe someone can comment that it usually occurs on a Sea Day.

I'm almost certain it is always on a SEA DAY. If you dont read through the compass or if you're not on deck, you'll probably not know about it. Also, it is mentioned by the CD the morning of, when he does announcements for the day, but so many people (us included) miss it or dont pay much attention...

wildcatfish, as for "Where" it takes place, usually the sale and excitement starts on the pool deck, weather permitting, in front of the pool bar. Then on our last cruise we met right above, at the Sky bar- this was on Explorer.

Do they do it on Allure?

Yes, they do it on Allure on one of the last sea days. It's in the Compass for when the sign up time starts and then when the walk starts. For me it is not about getting the shirt or taking part in the walk - it is about helping a good cause. The shirt and the walk just add to the fun of it. I think most of us feel this way.

No ... if I'm going to donate, I'm going to do it directly because I couldn't care less about the shirt (and I am then positive that all of my donation makes it to the charity).

Interesting, I'm certain they give some of the money, probably after the cost of the shirt, which I know from experience is less than $3 per shirt. Still, I've looked and never seen any statement about how much RCI gives to that cause after our donations. It might be worth an email to RCI and maybe make a wish. I would love to know how much of our $10 actually makes it to the charity.

Yes, they do it on Allure on one of the last sea days. It's in the Compass for when the sign up time starts and then when the walk starts. For me it is not about getting the shirt or taking part in the walk - it is about helping a good cause. The shirt and the walk just add to the fun of it. I think most of us feel this way.

Totally agree with you!

Thanks, and I feel the same way, when I started at my current employer back in 06, I became aware of a coworker who had a 5 year old daughter who was diagnosed with leukemia. Her Mom, started a page for her on a site called caringbridge and I watched every intimate detail of her struggle with the disease and when makeawish came in and helped their family. Her mother missed a calling as a writer and her posts where truly brilliant and thought provoking.

I stated in an earlier post, I think I will take it upon myself to find out about RCI's contribution to the cause.

Some commentary re: donations in the middle paragraph here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do?prDate=12-01-2009&prCode=A

Stacey K CruiseDivaNJ

Thanks for that, your all right for a Jersey girl, having spent a lot of time there ;)

Royal Caribbean has enjoyed a long relationship with Make-A-Wish. Since 2000, the cruise line has hosted more than 1,300 children who wished to go on a cruise to destinations around the world and has contributed more than $2.8 million in in-kind services and $372,000 in discount savings through its Wishes at Sea program. Through employee and guest fundraising efforts, Royal Caribbean has also raised more than $480,000 and 460,000 frequent flier miles, used to secure airline tickets for children’s wish travel and help the Make-A-Wish Foundation conserve critical financial resources. The cruise line donated 1,000 staterooms for this inaugural, once-in-a-lifetime event to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, with all proceeds benefiting the nonprofit organization.

Yes, and I must have four or five t shirts by now!

It's become such a part of my cruising routine, I always look up on the first day to see if the Make-a-Wish flag is flying. If it is, that means there's at least one family on board whose child is getting an unforgettable dream come true!

Yes, and I must have four or five t shirts by now!

It's become such a part of my cruising routine, I always look up on the first day to see if the Make-a-Wish flag is flying. If it is, that means there's at least one family on board whose child is getting an unforgettable dream come true!

I didn't know this, I will also look for it, is the flag easy to identify?

We have 4 tees now. At this point we just go and give the money and leave the Tee. Make a wish is one of the best groups ever. They sent my husband, myself and 5 kids to Disney World about 13 years ago when my youngest was dx with a live threatening brain tumor. It was not the greatest reason to be at Disney, but it let the whole family try to forget about what was going on in our lifes. Keep supporting!

Thanks for that, your all right for a Jersey girl, having spent a lot of time there ;)

Haha! :D Thanks so much, Bill. But, I like to consider myself a NY Girl, having been born and raised there! And, as the saying goes, "you can take the girl out of the city, but you cant take the city out of the girl". I still beleive NY'ers are much friendlier!

Jaxiewaxie, Where does the MaW flag fly? Always so busy to relax on board, I am not sure if I have ever seen the flag!!

Stacey K. CruiseDivaNJ

We have 4 tees now. At this point we just go and give the money and leave the Tee. Make a wish is one of the best groups ever. They sent my husband, myself and 5 kids to Disney World about 13 years ago when my youngest was dx with a live threatening brain tumor. It was not hte greatest reason to be at Disney, but it let the whole family try to forget about what was going on in our lifes. Kepp supporting!

Your post made me smile and made my eyes well-up! I hope health is always with your family!

Stacey K. CruiseDivaNJ

It was not the greatest reason to be at Disney, but it let the whole family try to forget about what was going on in our lifes. Keep supporting!

Having watched a family of a coworker go through a 5 year ordeal , I can so appreciate that sentiment. I give to a lot of charities and many of them are to help find a cure that we may or may not see in my lifetime, but I do feel good about giving someone some emotional relief during a hard time.

I've been on several RCCL cruises and the first time I saw this was on my last cruise on Oasis. I did participate with friends and family and enjoyed doing it. My best friends daughter had cancer a few years ago and the family went on a Make A Wish trip back then and it truly helped them all.

Jaxiewaxie, Where does the MaW flag fly? Always so busy to relax on board, I am not sure if I have ever seen the flag!!

Stacey K. CruiseDivaNJ

I'm no sailor, so forgive the landlubber's terminology! It is a smaller flag that would fly on the side arms that come off the big tall mast in the front. Here's a photo:

MAKE A WISH FLAG ON SHIP

Also, here's the story of one little boy who participated in RCCL's "Wishes at Sea" program. It mentions him raising the flag:

http://www.wish.org/stories/adventure/international_travel/thomas_st_thomas_island

On Serenade in Feb. they made a huge point of trying to break some sort of record for participation. Especially to outnumber the previous record on Oasis (much larger than Radiance class) the prior week. I suspect this was sort of made up to increase enthusiasm but they said our final total was over 460 people. I suspect that every cruise "breaks the record" but at that level that would still be a sizable percentage of the total passenger count.

We got shirts AND walked. Or rolled in my wife's case in her wheelchair. Actually she did walk behind it and pushed it like a walker for a lap and a half which is about as far as she can do. All the non-walkers cheered as she went by which made her pretty proud of herself. It was a lot of fun really.

5 nighters too, at least in my case, the other 2 times I walked was on 7 days, no walk on my 3 or 4 day Majesty cruise.

On my last couple Majesty 3 nighters, they didn't do the walk, but they did auctions before the nightly shows. People bid on bridge tours, spa treatments, Cruise in Review DVDs, etc. 100% of the proceeds went to MAW.

The bridge tour, which included blowing the horn upon leaving Nassau, went for $450 on my last sailing.

On my last couple Majesty 3 nighters, they didn't do the walk, but they did auctions before the nightly shows. People bid on bridge tours, spa treatments, Cruise in Review DVDs, etc. 100% of the proceeds went to MAW.

The bridge tour, which included blowing the horn upon leaving Nassau, went for $450 on my last sailing.

I missed that, but that is probably more than I would have paid for a bridge tour, but on the other hand, I might have to spend $20k on cruise to become diamond and get the tour, maybe this would be cheaper!

Archived