Best Florida Port to Cruise From

JaniceB

Which of these Florida port to you feel are the best to cruise from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, or Port Canaveral? I am considering a few cruises for next year and was wondering about embarkation and parking. I am not worried about the airport because most of the cruise party lives somewhere in Florida and will probably just drive the port. My family is the only one with transportation issues. I am trying to surprise my sister for her 50th birthday. Any help would be appreciated.

I loved Port Canaveral ..but only as a drive to port.

Iv been out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral at various times. slow pace is better to drive to. Loved the Radisson which has free cruise parking. Some prefer the newer Country Inn and Suites, also free parking at Port Canaveral.

Port Canaveral has been the best for us so far although we'd like to cruise out of Tampa more often since it's closer. We didn't have a very good experience at Fort Lauderdale but have only cruised out of there once and would have to try it again and see how it goes. We've never been out of Miami so I'm not sure about that one.

Happy cruising!

Thank you, I was leaning towards Port Canaveral because of the Dream. I cruised from there on Holland America and thought it was very easy. My sister also likes the Tiki Bar you pass to the right on your way out of Port Canaveral, so she could visit that on our way home.

Which of these Florida port to you feel are the best to cruise from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, or Port Canaveral? I am considering a few cruises for next year and was wondering about embarkation and parking. I am not worried about the airport because most of the cruise party lives somewhere in Florida and will probably just drive the port. My family is the only one with transportation issues. I am trying to surprise my sister for her 50th birthday. Any help would be appreciated.

Tampa was very easy for us. Plenty of transportation to the port from the airport/local hotel. I'm sorta not looking forward to Port Canaveral, since it's so far from the airport to the port and we are either going to have to rent a car or pay A LOT for transportation.

I have cruised from all 4 ports, and each has something to offer, tangible and intangible. Truly a great sight sailing under the Skyway Bridge out of Tampa, the view while sitting in port in Miami across the highway, very pricey real estate and home to several stars. Lauderdale, home to many cruise choice, and Canaveral because of ease of drive and proximity to Walt Disney and other great Florida attractions.

Our next cruise leaves from Tampa on the Legend, and this time, going couple days early to enjoy the Gold Coast, last time flew in day of, so never really got to see much of Tampa.

Of course any you choose will be great. Enjoy.

Mimgan

Maybe it's just me, but I've never consider a cruise based on how easy the port was. I have cruised from Tampa, Port Canaveral, and Ft. Lauderdale. Tampa was probably the easiest since there was only 1 ship in port the day we left but were heading back to Ft. Lauderdale to cruise the Freedom again. I live fairly close to Port of Tampa. Enjoy your cruise!

I've left from Tampa and Canaveral, both were easy and no problems.

I do prefer Tampa since I live about 20 minutes from the Port:) And the Legend's Western Caribbean stops are awesome.

The legend is one of the cruises I am looking at, glad to hear it was awesome. I love St. Pete Beach, so I am always looking for ways to visit it.

I have cruised from all 4 ports, and each has something to offer, tangible and intangible. Truly a great sight sailing under the Skyway Bridge out of Tampa, the view while sitting in port in Miami across the highway, very pricey real estate and home to several stars. Lauderdale, home to many cruise choice, and Canaveral because of ease of drive and proximity to Walt Disney and other great Florida attractions.

Our next cruise leaves from Tampa on the Legend, and this time, going couple days early to enjoy the Gold Coast, last time flew in day of, so never really got to see much of Tampa.

Of course any you choose will be great. Enjoy.

Mimgan

Everything you have said is true. Port Canaveral doesn't have any great view leaving the port except for maybe a manatee sighting.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never consider a cruise based on how easy the port was. I have cruised from Tampa, Port Canaveral, and Ft. Lauderdale. Tampa was probably the easiest since there was only 1 ship in port the day we left but were heading back to Ft. Lauderdale to cruise the Freedom again. I live fairly close to Port of Tampa. Enjoy your cruise!

I know what you mean, but there are so many choice from Florida and so many people who have cruised numerous times from various ports that I thought maybe one might be considered the best. I didn't even think of the number of ships, so that might be a consideration, too. The people who would be cruising with us live on both coast of FL and inland, so I couldn't use where they live to base my decision, so it is ship and port. I think we have all been to different ports of call, so I can't think of one that no one has been to.

Ft. Lauderdale for me also:D:D.

Cruised out of several different ports and found Ft. Lauderdale to be the easiest and cheapest.

The hotel we stayed at, provided a free shuttle (we tipped) to the hotel from airport. Hotel provided a free shuttle (we tipped) from hotel to cruiseport.

Great places to eat and shop. It is a win win for us.....

No rental car fees, no long drive to airport.

**Just my 2 cents:)

In my opinion, it's not about the port, but about the DESTINATION. We want to go as far south as we can get in 7 days so we chose to cruise out of Miami. We're going all the way to St. Thomas. You can't really do that from any of the other ports (well, maybe Ft. Lauderdale). The further north you cruise out of, the less south you will cruise. Miami is set up very efficiently since it's such a large port.

Gone out of Port Canaveral twice - everything is very spread out and easy to navigate. Only downside not much to look at for sailway, although, you can kinda see the Kennedy Space Center from afar.

Tampa - the Channelside area surrounding the port has lots of things to do. Inside the terminal is kinda drab, but you're only their for hopefully a few minutes anyways. And of course, sailing under the Bridge is a def plus.

FLL - only cruised outta there once and it was a total cluster! Although, to be fair, we got there at 10am (brother was getting married on the ship) and there was just soooo many people there that were still trying to leave from the previous cruise.

I cruised on the Dream in Dec. out of Port Can. and the ship is huge, therefore the lines were extremely long. We are Platinum so we had VIP check in, so we didn't have any lines. The ship is beautiful and not as gaudy as some of the other Carnival ships. I live in FL so I have been out of all the ports, and I HATE driving to Miami, so we have nixed that port. Tampa - great port, Legend, a wonderful ship - The Spirit class, still my favorite.

I just got off the FASCINATION out of Jax, been on it several times, an older ship, they are still doing a great job. Debark was a bear!

In my opinion, it's not about the port, but about the DESTINATION. We want to go as far south as we can get in 7 days so we chose to cruise out of Miami. We're going all the way to St. Thomas. You can't really do that from any of the other ports (well, maybe Ft. Lauderdale).

Dream goes to St. Thomas and St. Maarten from Port Canaveral on its Eastern run.

If you are considering a cruise just on the port alone....TAMPA....HANDS DOWN.

Easy to get in & out of....plenty of parking...parking fees are reasonable (and alot of local hotels offer parking packages with transportation to the port) and you are typically the ONLY ship in port so it's smooooooth as can be getting through and onto the ship!

I am kind of biased though...I live here

We like Canaveral, but we have gone all the places that Carnival goes from there (hint- hint!). So recently, we've preferred to fly into FLL (hate Miami airport), but cruise out of Miami.

However, our next planned cruise would be the southern caribbean going out of Fort Lauderdale.

We've been to all the ports in FL. many times. We drive to all. Here is my take.

Last week we went out of Fll. Too many ships, traffic is bad, and busses take too long to get to you.

The week before we went out of Mia. Hate the traffic in the city. The port was fine. Free parking for handicap. Which is nice.

Jacksonville is fine. No problems.

Tampa is fine. The only problem we've ever had (twice) is how to get back on the highway out of the parking lot. The signage is not so great.

Our favorite and the one we try to go out of the most (about 9 times) is PC. Many motels with park and cruise. Love the town. Love the beaches. The busses are always there waiting for us. It's stress free.

But then again it's only my opinion.

Archived