Best Florida Port to Cruise From

JaniceB

[quote name='deadmoney']We went on it last Mothers day and are going again this Mothers day.
All four stops are great and Roatan is a must see.
if you choose The legend you'll be happy you did.[/quote]

It must be good if you are doing it again. I need to take some lessons from you for the lightweight packing. Roatan is one place I haven't been, not sure about my sister so I will have to check with her.

[quote name='iluvdoxies']My favorite is Port Canaveral--close to home (45 min).

Easy parking and check in, friendly staff.

2nd would be Tampa.[/quote]

A friendly staff is important in order to have a great start to your cruise vacation. I don't want an unfriendly person checking in me or directing me to my parking space or taking my baggage. I don't want my excitement to be crushed before I get on the ship.

[quote name='JaniceB']I didn't forget Jacksonville, but I didn't think they had any 7 day cruises, so I didn't put it on my list.[/quote]

<<Gasp>> Dont say that Janice! :eek: Didn't you know, if you get something wrong about one of the ports, you will get hit with a wet noodle by the posters on here. I thought that too (about non 7 day cruises at other ports besides the southern most ports in FL) and about four posters came back at me with "wrong!" And one even went as far as to say "don't believe me? Check it out for yourself!" I never said I didn't believe ANYONE. Good Lord people. God forbid you get something wrong on here. Everyone is VERY quick to correct you. ;)

Thanks Tammie, I just said I didn't think they had 7 day. There is also another reason why I didn't include it. My sister will say it will be too cold in March to cruise from Jacksonville. She lives in south Florida. At first she had mentioned going to the Bahamas and then she said it might be too cold. I know, too cold are you kidding me, but she even wears long johns in south florida during the winter. Thanks for letting me know that there are 7 day cruises, it probably won't be an option for my sisters birthday cruise in March.

[quote name='JaniceB']Thanks Tammie, I just said I didn't think they had 7 day. There is also another reason why I didn't include it. My sister will say it will be too cold in March to cruise from Jacksonville. She lives in south Florida. At first she had mentioned going to the Bahamas and then she said it might be too cold. I know, too cold are you kidding me, but she even wears long johns in south florida during the winter. Thanks for letting me know that there are 7 day cruises, it probably won't be an option for my sisters birthday cruise in March.[/quote]
We went out of Jax to Bahamas this past Feb and it was a bit on the cold side(was 45 the embarkation day and was about 70 in Bahamas), better than here in MD...so I was :), but I do prefer it to be a bit warmer.
We went out of Port Canaveral last March (to Bahamas) and it was rainy, windy and a tad cool too, but we were told by many Floridians that it was not typical. Though we went to Disney in Jan and March before and froze our patooties off, so I haven't had real warm weather yet (in FL from Jan-March). Will keep trying though :D. Anything's better than 20 and snowy here in MD.

Laumicmah,

I know what you mean we love 70 in the winter in the Northeast. We spent a week in south FL in January and it was 70-80 during the day. The mornings were a bit cool. My DH noticed that early in the morning most people had jackets and long pants on. He went to the store in shorts and a tee shirt and he was the minority. We went to the Bahamas in April once and I never got in the water. I thought it was too cold and the weather wasn't warm enough for me to get in.

[quote name='laumicmah']We went out of Jax to Bahamas this past Feb and it was a bit on the cold side.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Did you drive ? Just wondering if Jax has the benefit of being that much closer to [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]many potential cruisers. Yes I am aware it is only another 2 & 1/2 houts to Port C .[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Still roundtrip that is 5 hours for those wanting to save the cost and hassle of flying.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So does this count in Jacksonvilles favour?[/SIZE]

[quote name='richstowe'][SIZE=3]Did you drive ? Just wondering if Jax has the benefit of being that much closer to [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]many potential cruisers. Yes I am aware it is only another 2 & 1/2 houts to Port C .[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Still roundtrip that is 5 hours for those wanting to save the cost and hassle of flying.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So does this count in Jacksonvilles favour?[/SIZE][/quote]
Both times we went out of Jax we drove. The first time was last August with 4 kids in tow...it was painful. But this Feb, just DH and I went and it was smooth sailing...:o...and we drove straight home after. I wanna say it was about 12 hours with lunch, gas and potty stops. If you time the DC mess just right, it's not bad. In August, we didn't time it right and got stuck in traffic coming home....:(. We like Jax for being somewhat able to drive there and we consider Charleston for the same reason and both offer 3, 4 and 5 day itins which are good for us to go without the kids.

[quote name='JaniceB']Laumicmah,

I know what you mean we love 70 in the winter in the Northeast. We spent a week in south FL in January and it was 70-80 during the day. The mornings were a bit cool. My DH noticed that early in the morning most people had jackets and long pants on. He went to the store in shorts and a tee shirt and he was the minority. We went to the Bahamas in April once and I never got in the water. I thought it was too cold and the weather wasn't warm enough for me to get in.[/quote]
We lived in NC for 9 years and got used to the warm weather. When we moved back to MD in 2007, we just couldn't handle the cold anymore. Last winter was hard with all the snow and this winter just seemed extra cold and long. But we do love FL...rather be a little chilly as we walk around in shorts than be completely fozen while we're all bundled in coats and scarfs and gloves with layers of clothes underneath. And we don't mind the 100+ degree summer days either.

How true! We have considered a cruise from Charleston and JAX also with the option of driving. We are taking our first cruise out of Baltimore this year. We also drove to Port Canaveral in 2005 with the kids in tow. Since the kids are now grown, a road trip is a nice option for us, too. I was glad that most people enjoy the embarkation from JAX, i just don't think it will be an option for a birthday cruise for my south FL sister.

We have always used Pt Canaveral,Miami and Ft Lauderdale. We just did Ft Lauderdale this past Feb. We always do 7 and 8 day cruises. We have done the Suites so we really had no lines. Now we also are VIP so no lines either. When we started FT Lauderdale, we had a balcony. Long lines there. I love any of these 3. Never did Tampa or Jacksonville. We always do Feb and November. It has always been warm in Feb. We always stay a few days ahead too. Love Pt Canaveral . We go to Cocoa Beach and eat everywhere . It is hard for me because I need Gluten Free . Nice to find them there.

I like Tampa for several reasons -- Flights are usually inexpensive and direct, hotels are everywhere and CHEAP, there is only one ship in port at a time, and on your way out to sea, you get to go under the Sunshine Bridge!
Have Fun:D

My favorite port to sail out of is Port of Miami. I love going the day before and just hanging out with family and friends at the hotel, South Beach and yes, even Bayside!! With the port being 15 mins from the airport, its very convenient! :D

Sshelly0525,

Thank you. I agree that flights are usually cheaper to Tampa, this year was an exception. We are going to wedding during Easter break in FL and Orlando was cheaper. My DH said to book to Tampa anyway because he likes the rental car garage right outside of the baggage terminal. We zip in and out. I guess it pays to check fares between the two airports.

Hawaii697,

Love your CC name. I was born in Hawaii. We now both reside in the same place it looks like.
I sailed out of Miami one time over 10 years ago. I remember leaving the port and the beautiful beach, but what I remember most is that our car became infested with fireants. We stayed at a hotel the night before and they must have parked it in a huge fireant pile. We got in the car to go to the port and our kids starting saying that something was biting them. We went to a drug store, got out of the car saw them everywhere. The had left candy in the car and it attracted them. We had to bomb the car when we reached the port. We still laugh about it.

Archived