Our trip-Sydney to Auckland January 2011

karmacruiser

Excellent info.

The middle link does not work by the way.

Kia ora,

Sorry, it looks as if they have just updated their web-site. Suggest just adding .NZ after .com, or just type in Whakarewarewa. If this doesn't work add Rotorua and if necessary NZ

Aquarians.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you! A very interesting review of your cruise. It's a shame Melbourne was so crowded when you were there with the Aust. tennis open on. I know the free circle trams can get packed as locals use them for a free ride when they should leave them for tourists to enjoy. From your review I don't think you got to experience the best Melbourne has to offer. It seems you may have missed some of the best sights in the city.

Unfortunately Australia can be expensive for tourists from the US as the Australian dollar is at an all time high against the US dollar. A couple of years ago it would have been much cheaper for you. I would say that Australian prices are comparable with many European countries.

If anyone is stopping in Melbourne on a cruise please feel free to ask advice here as to what to see and do in the city from a locals perspective. I would be more than happy to give you some suggestions.

Thank you for the thought of helping us ... we are on this cruise over Christmas and New Years and will be in Melbourne sometime after 25th December. What are our best bets for the day there? Thanks.

Thank you for the thought of helping us ... we are on this cruise over Christmas and New Years and will be in Melbourne sometime after 25th December. What are our best bets for the day there? Thanks.

Are you arriving on Christmas Day? Just that Christmas Day is a public holilday and nearly everything will be closed. Boxing Day (26th Dec.) is also a public holiday but many shops and some attractions may be open on this day. Let me know exactly what date you will be in Melb. and I can give you a better idea of what to do. Also what are your interests?

• 3 months later...
Kia ora,

Sorry, it looks as if they have just updated their web-site. Suggest just adding .NZ after .com, or just type in Whakarewarewa. If this doesn't work add Rotorua and if necessary NZ

Aquarians.

I believe this is the correct one:

http://www.whakarewarewa.com/

I was there during 2010/11 Xmas break. Very interesting and informative show. Note that Whakarewarewa is not as crowded as the other "tourist endorsed" village Te Puia - but more polished on the other. The two villages are just next to each other.

Thank you! A very interesting review of your cruise. It's a shame Melbourne was so crowded when you were there with the Aust. tennis open on. I know the free circle trams can get packed as locals use them for a free ride when they should leave them for tourists to enjoy. From your review I don't think you got to experience the best Melbourne has to offer. It seems you may have missed some of the best sights in the city.

Unfortunately Australia can be expensive for tourists from the US as the Australian dollar is at an all time high against the US dollar. A couple of years ago it would have been much cheaper for you. I would say that Australian prices are comparable with many European countries.

If anyone is stopping in Melbourne on a cruise please feel free to ask advice here as to what to see and do in the city from a locals perspective. I would be more than happy to give you some suggestions.

We are going to be stopping in Melbourne in Dec. my son is 30 and at the Med school in Wollongong he is joing us for this cruise. Do you have any suggestions for the day we are active people and not looking for museums.

Thanks for the help.:)

Thank you for the very informative review. We are hoping to do another cruise to N.Z. and Australia, hopely next year (Nov 2012). The information you gave us will greatly help in our tour planning. We stayed in Langham in N.Z., but were wondering about the Auckland Hilton, maybe time, sounds like you recommend it?

We were still suffering from a sticker shock at this point. Everything was much more than we are used to paying at home but we adjusted over time. It still killed me to pay $3.50 for a soda, but it didn’t stop me from buying it. J

MORE TO FOLLOW TOMORROW

Whilst costs are higher in Australia (and even higher now with the strong Aussie dollar), you can save money by stocking up at supermarket chains, rather than expensive corner stores.

Woolworths and Coles are the major supermarket chains, with IGA, Foodworks and Aldi smaller chains.

As I am one of the people who crowd Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open each year, I take emply bottles which I freeze in the refrigerator to take to the tennis and sightseeing.

We are going to be stopping in Melbourne in Dec. my son is 30 and at the Med school in Wollongong he is joing us for this cruise. Do you have any suggestions for the day we are active people and not looking for museums.

Thanks for the help.:)

Melbourne is a walking and "foodies" paradise.

If you like walking, Melbourne has some lovely walks and parks and gardens.

When I stay in Melbourne each year -

I walk from Toorak along the river walkway to the Royal Botanical Gardens.

I take the tram to St Kilda Beach and walk along the beach to the Village, where there are lots of young people, and great eating places.

I wind my way through the fascinating lanes and arcades.

You will have no trouble filling your day and wishing you could stay longer.

Your son might enjoy a tour of the National Sports Museum at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, if he enjoys sports.

http://www.mcg.org.au/History/National%20Sports%20Museum.aspx

http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/placestogo/LanewaysandArcades/Pages/LanewaysandArcades.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, we will be stopping in Melbourne and have looked at the ship excursion to Yarra River Cruise, Heaslesville sanctuary, and winery. What do you know about this trip?

Hey, we will be stopping in Melbourne and have looked at the ship excursion to Yarra River Cruise, Heaslesville sanctuary, and winery. What do you know about this trip?

The Yarra River Cruise will be in the centre of the city on the Yarra River (which is about a 10 minute drive form the port) and then I would assume you take a bus out to Healesville Sanctuary. This is quite a long drive - about 1 hour approx. If you google Healesville Sanctuary you can get an idea what is it like. If you are really interested in seeing Australian animals than you would enjoy it. There are some very nice wineries in that region. Do you know which winery the tour goes to? The main negative of this tour is that you would not get to see much of the actual city of Melbourne. The Yarra River cruise gives you a view of the city but you don't get to walk around and experience it. It all depends on what your interests are. Also keep in mind that Melbourne is easy to do on your own. There is a tram which runs from the port into the centre of the city and takes about 10-15 minutes. If you do decide to do this let me know and I will give you some suggestions on what to do and see.

• 2 months later...

Wow...what an awsome account of your journey. It is from folk like yourselves that others can gain insight...there's nothing quite like first-hand expereience!

You must have been doing a lot of note-taking throughout your trip.

Kia ora tino pai!

• 1 month later...
Loved your extensive summary of your New Zealand and Australia cruise. Very helpful. We leave on our 12 night cruise on Celebrity on Jan. 6, 2012.

Thank you again!:)

Oceans001, come on over to the roll call for your cruise and say hi to more than 40 of your fellow Century cruisers. You can also sign up for the FREE Celebrity connections party. You will find out roll call for the January 6 Century cruise here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31685147#post31685147

Jim

Graceinmelbourne it sounds like we would take the tram to the city centre my son is not a big sports fan just a work out guy and we all enjoy a good walk. What would you suggest as our plan of attack?

Sorry but I didn't see your post until now. You are probably on your way or already here. I would get the tram into the city from the cruise ship terminal. Easy to do and cheap. Go to Federation Square which is opposite Flinders Street Station. The tram will take you up Collins Street. Get off near Swanston Street and walk down to Federation Square. There is an information centre there. They can give you suggestions for walks and maps. You can do walking tours that cover all interests from food, chocolate to historical walking tours. Otherwise you can just do you own and follow some of the brochures available. Plenty to do and see in Melbourne. You just need to work out what you are interested in.

Have fun!

Archived