Dress on Uniworld Cruises

mheslop

I am doing two cruises - River Baroness and River Royale - in France next month. There is some information on dress in Uniworld's brochure....but I wondered if someone could give me more information, specifically about ladies' dress for dinner and for the captain's galas. Do I need really dressy clothes? Thanks.

No you don't need fancy dress at all. If you wish to dress up a bit for the Welcome and Farewell dinners you can put a nicer top over your black pants. Even that is unnecessary. There were some people wearing exactly the same things they wore every other night. Except for one woman who wore nothing but skirts last year, I think maybe one or two women wore a dress to these dinners.

Dress apparel has gotten much more casual in the last couple of years. Like Nomi said, a nice top with black slacks is fine. It is rare to see a woman in a dress on these cruises. Don't worry about it, no one will care anyhow :D.

When I was on Uniworld in 2009, most women wore a sparkly or dressy top with black pants on the two dressy evenings. I don't recall seeing anyone in a dress. It is not like formal night on a large cruise ship at all.

We sailed with Uniworld in 2008 on the Budapest to Amsterdan cruise on River Princess. At that time they requested no jeans in the dining room for dinner. I don't know if that has changed. They also only allowed one suitcase, plus carry-ons per person.

On the two "dressy" nights some gentlemen wore blazers. The ladies put on fancy tops with their nice slacks. Very few gents wore ties and a handful of lades wore dresses.

For our Russia trip in June/July, I'm considering packing a couple of jersey and/or cotton knit dresses. They are so light and packable and one dress takes the place of two pieces of clothing. I have nice walking sandals that will go with them.

• 1 month later...

We will be on the southern Danube (Bucharest to Vienna) in June when average temps should be in the high 70s. During the day, do any men where shorts? Brochures look like men are dressed country club casual during the days. Also, in the evening, can men wear short sleeves, i.e. polo shirt with slacks?

I appreciate any answers to be very specific. We're from the beach in southern California and what we often consider casual is not what the rest of the country does! <grin>

I have to admit that of all the great things I can read about River Cruising "what to wear" subjects give me the most fun. As a North Queenslander living in weather very similar to Hawaii I haven't owned a suit or sports jacket for over 25 years and the last time I wore a tie was for my son's wedding. We love casual clothes up here. I just hope my fellow travellers with coats understand.

I have to admit that of all the great things I can read about River Cruising "what to wear" subjects give me the most fun. As a North Queenslander living in weather very similar to Hawaii I haven't owned a suit or sports jacket for over 25 years and the last time I wore a tie was for my son's wedding. We love casual clothes up here. I just hope my fellow travellers with coats understand.

We live in an area with two "seasons": hot and warm. My DH wears nothing but tee shirts and shorts. If a cold front comes through and it's cool for a few days, he might wear jeans.

He has been put on notice that all shirts going in the suitcase for the Russia cruise will have a collar!

Hi, we just did Enchanting Danube (loved it) and most men wore dress shirts with ties. I was surprised after reading comments on here. Women's dress varied. Not many REALLY dressed but not too many casual either. I think just wear what you are comfortable with.

We cruised with Uniworld in Sept. 10. On the 2 "dressy" nights, most men wore jackets and ties...but not all. Those who didn't were noticeable, I thought. Women were nicely dressed but not formal. I never saw people quite so dressed up as shown on the brochures!

Archived