Back to back logistics?

SEFlyer

I have just booked us on the January 3 TA followed by the January 10 Liner Segment to Cape Town. As I didn't think we'd do much sunning on the TA I booked a window cabin on Deck 4 for the first part. But the we move to a nice balcony facing west on Deck 11 for the southbound part.

My question is what will Cunard do to help with logistics when we are in Southampton? Will they keep our bags onboard and move them to the new cabin when its clean? Can we wander off to Marks and Spencers and not worry about our bags?

Also, what will be the check-in arrangement in Southampton? Can we ore-register onboard before we get off in Southampton or will we have to stand in line with everyone boarding there?

I'd be grateful to have my questions answered by BMs with experience in these type of back to back voyages.

It should be quite easy. I did this for a short 2-day voyage and then a transatlantic from Southampton. About 2 days before arrival you'll get a letter with detailed instructions, but essentially you will have to pack your loose items. The crew will move anything that's on hangers, your bags, and I believe also anything that's in drawers. You will be given documentation to reboard before leaving but not a room key, and you will have to stand in line a bit for the new key card on returning to the ship (perhaps 5-10 minutes). On the TA you will also be given options for Shore Tours available or you can just go into Southampton on your own (there is a shuttle).

A couple of additional suggestions:

Check with the purser early in the Transatlantic to be sure they know you are staying on. They probably do but it never hurts to check.

Any OBC for either leg will be posted at the beginning of your stay, and your final bill will be settled at the end of the second. Any positive or negative account balance (and internet time) at the end of the first voyage will carry over to the second.

Roy

It should be quite easy. I did this for a short 2-day voyage and then a transatlantic from Southampton. About 2 days before arrival you'll get a letter with detailed instructions, but essentially you will have to pack your loose items. The crew will move anything that's on hangers, your bags, and I believe also anything that's in drawers. You will be given documentation to reboard before leaving but not a room key, and you will have to stand in line a bit for the new key card on returning to the ship (perhaps 5-10 minutes). On the TA you will also be given options for Shore Tours available or you can just go into Southampton on your own (there is a shuttle).

A couple of additional suggestions:

Check with the purser early in the Transatlantic to be sure they know you are staying on. They probably do but it never hurts to check.

Any OBC for either leg will be posted at the beginning of your stay, and your final bill will be settled at the end of the second. Any positive or negative account balance (and internet time) at the end of the first voyage will carry over to the second.

Roy

I was just about to post and ask a similar question, thanks roy, im on 2 back to back med cruises this year, the changeover is in cittevechia, I asked recently and was told that on a changeover day like the one I will have they will not offer excursions .

Roy, do you know if you have to get off, as opposed to speanding a very relaxing day round the pool and if you do get off do you have to wait to board with the other passengers, or can you just reboard at your own will through some seperate line or entry???

I was just about to post and ask a similar question, thanks roy, im on 2 back to back med cruises this year, the changeover is in cittevechia, I asked recently and was told that on a changeover day like the one I will have they will not offer excursions .

Roy, do you know if you have to get off, as opposed to speanding a very relaxing day round the pool and if you do get off do you have to wait to board with the other passengers, or can you just reboard at your own will through some seperate line or entry???

That, unfortunately, is a question I can't answer; I don't think Cunard would make you get off, but often the local authorities will, a policy that varies from port to port and sometimes there is not even a consistent policy between sailings at a given port. Often you need to get off to go through customs and shouldl be able to return 15-60 minutes later.

I did cruise to Civitavecchia and went from one ship to another. I attached the page from my disembarkation issue relating to in-transit guests, it doesn't really address the issue of getting off; I suspect that's good news as they would PROBABLY have said something if you had to get off. If you do, the shuttle to the town is very convenient and you might want to go into town for lunch, rather than Kings Court/Lido. If you do get off, you should have a pass to reboard without waiting in the checkin line.

You might also try posting to the Italy Ports forum to see if there's any local information there on what the authorities will require.

Roy

scan0002.pdf

Recently did B2B on QV, Hawaii/Panama Canal . Had to get off in LA, go through customs and immigration, then sit and wait to get back on .

I received another door card in my cabin the night before, had to give up old one to get off ship to go through customs etc. then use new one to get back on ship. Also my OB acount ended Mch 3, restarted another OB account Mch 3 , nothing carried over.

This may have been just because it was USA but suspect some of it (Account etc ) was ship administration "red tape".

Recently did B2B on QV, Hawaii/Panama Canal . Had to get off in LA, go through customs and immigration, then sit and wait to get back on .

I received another door card in my cabin the night before, had to give up old one to get off ship to go through customs etc. then use new one to get back on ship. Also my OB acount ended Mch 3, restarted another OB account Mch 3 , nothing carried over.

This may have been just because it was USA but suspect some of it (Account etc ) was ship administration "red tape".

Did you have the same cabin for both segments? I was told I could not get a keycard for the new cabin because it still belonged to others, and OP is switching cabins as well.

Roy

I kept same cabin, but only after two BIG arguments, I had booked same cabin and had paper work to show it was mine from Feb 17-March 18th , still they tried to move me because - "incoming passengers REALLY wanted that cabin" Did they not think that I having booked it for 29 days and occupied it for 14 days also REALLY wanted to stay there?

No excuse for bad staffing and lack of common sense.

I kept same cabin, but only after two BIG arguments, I had booked same cabin and had paper work to show it was mine from Feb 17-March 18th , still they tried to move me because - "incoming passengers REALLY wanted that cabin" Did they not think that I having booked it for 29 days and occupied it for 14 days also REALLY wanted to stay there?

No excuse for bad staffing and lack of common sense.

I notice that you always seem to have difficulties of one type or another and it is always someone's fault. I wonder if there is another common denominator?

:confused:

I notice that you always seem to have difficulties of one type or another and it is always someone's fault. I wonder if there is another common denominator?

:confused:

Yes. It does seem to be terribly bad luck when the rest of us seem to have such a good time.

The last back to back I did they upgraded me from steerage to Queens' Grill on the first part simply because I had a QG cabin on the second. Upgraded into the same cabin that is. No bother at changeover at all.

WD

That, unfortunately, is a question I can't answer; I don't think Cunard would make you get off, but often the local authorities will, a policy that varies from port to port and sometimes there is not even a consistent policy between sailings at a given port. Often you need to get off to go through customs and shouldl be able to return 15-60 minutes later.

I did cruise to Civitavecchia and went from one ship to another. I attached the page from my disembarkation issue relating to in-transit guests, it doesn't really address the issue of getting off; I suspect that's good news as they would PROBABLY have said something if you had to get off. If you do, the shuttle to the town is very convenient and you might want to go into town for lunch, rather than Kings Court/Lido. If you do get off, you should have a pass to reboard without waiting in the checkin line.

You might also try posting to the Italy Ports forum to see if there's any local information there on what the authorities will require.

Roy

thanks Roy always a great source of information. ive been to Cittevechia a few times and the shopping isnt bad , and the waterfront restaurants are worth a stop, im not going to stress about it, i am on holiday!

Yes. It does seem to be terribly bad luck when the rest of us seem to have such a good time.

The last back to back I did they upgraded me from steerage to Queens' Grill on the first part simply because I had a QG cabin on the second. Upgraded into the same cabin that is. No bother at changeover at all.

WD

Should I get my hopes up?;):D

Should I get my hopes up?;):D

Sounds like a real stroke of luck but at least it's possible. I didn't do so well, keeping my D2 cabin on the Transatlanic but was upgraded to dining in Brittania Club dining as I had been on the previous crew.

Miracles do happen

Good luck.

Roy

SEFlyer,

If you have valuables in your in-cabin safe that you do not want sitting in your luggage while ashore on turnaround day, I suggest you talk to your cabin steward several days before arriving in Southampton and ask if he can coordinate with the cabin steward of you new cabin and see what arrangements can be made.

ON my last B2B cruise on QM2, I had booked a cabin on the port side for the westbound TA. This was a simple change to a cabin on the port side on the same deck. The afternoon before arriving, my cabin steward advised that the passengers in my new cabin were self-disembarking and were one of the first off the ship; so, I removed the contents of my safe and placed them in the new cabin's safe, reset the combination and I also moved the toiletries from the bathroom to the new cabin as well. The staff took care of everything else.

This all worked out quite well as I was on time for my all day tour (offered for in-transit passengers) to Stonehenge and Salisbury.

Archived