Santorini Excursion

Bob++

We are in santorini in early May from 9am to 7pm.

I have had a quote from a tour guide for €80 per hour in a car.

This seems a bit steep and I wondered what others thought.

Seems pretty high. You don't, IMHO, need a cab for many hours. There are several threads here that talk about what you want to see- which, generally is the towns of Oia and Fira, which is where you come ashore. A cab to Oia and back is 20 euros each way for up to 4 people.

I have been to Santorini twice, and can't remember anything real exciting in an around the island tour. Santorini is very DIY-able.

We will be in Santorini in Aug from 2 to 8 pm only. Can any recommend a tour company they have used. Santorini private tours has not responsed to our email and they want 100 euro deposit. Thanks for any input.

We had a wonderful experience with Ocean Wave Tours. http://www.oceanwavetours.com/ The pre-cruise communication was excellent and our driver was excellent. He made sure we saw all that we wanted to see and managed the timing very well so we had nothing to worry about. We wanted to have dinner during sun set and he made it happen, knowing a perfect route and location to avoid the crowds. We shared with two couples for a total of 6 of us in a mini van, which made the cost reasonable.

Thanks - that's what I thought.

Up the cable car and catch a bus it is then. I've just checked and we sail an hour before sunset.

Before you settle on the bus from Fira to Oia and return try to find out how many other ships will be in port that day. The buses, while a lot more economical, can be very crowded and uncomfortable. We've been to Santorini a couple times and have found both situations.

We had a wonderful experience with Ocean Wave Tours. http://www.oceanwavetours.com/ The pre-cruise communication was excellent and our driver was excellent. He made sure we saw all that we wanted to see and managed the timing very well so we had nothing to worry about. We wanted to have dinner during sun set and he made it happen, knowing a perfect route and location to avoid the crowds. We shared with two couples for a total of 6 of us in a mini van, which made the cost reasonable.

I only see cruises on their website--do they have land excursions?

Abstolutely. Maybe you are clicking on the private boat tour link on their website? Click on the "private tours" tab at the top just under their name. Or, better yet, send them an email. info@oceanwavetours.com They will send you their recommendations and discuss what you can do in the time you have. ETA: And tell Dimitris, I said hi! ;)

Before you settle on the bus from Fira to Oia and return try to find out how many other ships will be in port that day. The buses, while a lot more economical, can be very crowded and uncomfortable. We've been to Santorini a couple times and have found both situations.

Only two other ships in Santorini on that day - Coral and Zenith. Neither we or they are large ships and the times are different so I think we will be Ok.

I have ordered a map from ? so we should be able to find our way around.

We hav e 1 other ship in port tht day, and they leave at 8pm. We leave at 10:00pm....I'm thinking that we'll just take s ship's xcurs'n (hate doing that) b/c of all the people on the ships--and what one other poster posted re: the crowds.....I'd even take the bus--but I'm kinda apprehensive b/c of the crowds---anybody? We're foing in July.

We hav e 1 other ship in port tht day, and they leave at 8pm. We leave at 10:00pm....I'm thinking that we'll just take s ship's xcurs'n (hate doing that) b/c of all the people on the ships--and what one other poster posted re: the crowds.....I'd even take the bus--but I'm kinda apprehensive b/c of the crowds---anybody? We're foing in July.

If the ships are leaving 2 hours apart, I don't think you would have a problem. Just allow plenty of time for the cable car down to the tenders at the end of the day simply because of all the people from your ship. The worst part of the crowds for you will be getting a good spot in Oia for sunset. That's where I felt our guide earned his money.

If the ships are leaving 2 hours apart, I don't think you would have a problem. Just allow plenty of time for the cable car down to the tenders at the end of the day simply because of all the people from your ship. The worst part of the crowds for you will be getting a good spot in Oia for sunset. That's where I felt our guide earned his money.

Hmmm...thanks...What do u think--would we be better oj our own or doing a ships tour--we may to to Pyrgos and wine tasting. About 3.5 hrs ; or do it on our own---bus and wander on our own....With all this talk of crowds---I think the ship is about 2800. Don't know about the other ship....

Hmmm...thanks...What do u think--would we be better oj our own or doing a ships tour--we may to to Pyrgos and wine tasting. About 3.5 hrs ; or do it on our own---bus and wander on our own....With all this talk of crowds---I think the ship is about 2800. Don't know about the other ship....

How much is the ship's tour? If you have enough people, it might be just as or nearly as economical to hire a private guide and you would have a better experience in my opinion.

Did you find the contact info on the website and try them? As I said, if crowds are your concern, they know how to avoid them - at least as much as is humanly possible.

Did you find the contact info on the website and try them? As I said, if crowds are your concern, they know how to avoid them - at least as much as is humanly possible.

Yes I did, thank you...The only problem is tht we have a roll call that is practically dead....I'll try to post something anyway...Thanks again.

How much is the ship's tour? If you have enough people, it might be just as or nearly as economical to hire a private guide and you would have a better experience in my opinion.

I understand. It may pick up as it gets closer. My roll call never got very active, but I made all my excursion connections in the last month or two. Most people aren't planners. :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

I just returned from an Eastern Med. cruise on Celebrity Equinox. We went on the ships excursion in Santorini that included climing to a volcano and then swimming in warm sea springs. The hike gave an excellent view of the islands.It required a rather strenuous hike..but the groups were small...perhaps 50-60 people...on each boat. It was well done and gave extra time to do what you wanted after in the towns.

It was the only ship excursion we took, the rest we hired outside companies. But, I have to say I was impressed. Have fun..;)

Hi - We had the same experience as Selina Christmas. Santorini was the only place where we did a ships excursion as we wanted to be first off the ship and maximize our short stay there. We also did the volcano hike and hot springs, which was fabulous and totally doable even if you are not in the absolute best shape. After we were done with the excursion, we were dropped at the base of the island and had the choice of cable car or donkey. We did the donkeys. An experience, was fun and def better than walking up - which I would advise against. I was disappointed not to have enough time to go to Oia, so we walked around Fira and had the most wonderful sunset dinner with spectacular views. Took the cable car down around 7:30 and off we went. An absolute highlight day.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived