Is the Med about to become a war zone?

Dear friends:

My wife and I have several RCCL Mediterranean cruises booked this Spring and summer, starting as early as next month.

I would just like to start a friendly debate and exchange of opinions as to whether there is cause to be a little apprehensive because of the Libya situation.

Bases are being used in Spain, France, Italy, Cyprus. More than 100 Tomahawk missiles were fired from a warship in the Mediterranean Sea.

If Gaddafi retaliates against the allies, he probably couldn't reach mainland Italy. But could he reach the Italian Islands? Malta?

We live in Spain (Madrid), and just the thought of being so close to Libya does make me a little nervous.

Even if in this debate we all decide that it is perfectly safe, don't we still feel a little bit tense sailing on our cruise ship through a sea where there are missiles going up into the air around us and war planes going back and forth?

Happy Sunday to all and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gaddafi has stated he will take down planes and ships. He is probably very capable regardless of what others think on the other post that the USAF would intervene. They may try to intervene, but multiple missiles??? I wouldn't cruise there until this crisis is over.

I didn't realize until now that there is a similar thread being discussed on this Board. If the moderator feels that my opening this discussion is redundant, please feel free to delete the thread.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Would you please share the link? I did not see it. Thank-you

Dear friends:

My wife and I have several RCCL Mediterranean cruises booked this Spring and summer, starting as early as next month.

I would just like to start a friendly debate and exchange of opinions as to whether there is cause to be a little apprehensive because of the Libya situation.

Bases are being used in Spain, France, Italy, Cyprus. More than 100 Tomahawk missiles were fired from a warship in the Mediterranean Sea.

If Gaddafi retaliates against the allies, he probably couldn't reach mainland Italy. But could he reach the Italian Islands? Malta?

We live in Spain (Madrid), and just the thought of being so close to Libya does make me a little nervous.

Even if in this debate we all decide that it is perfectly safe, don't we still feel a little bit tense sailing on our cruise ship through a sea where there are missiles going up into the air around us and war planes going back and forth?

Happy Sunday to all and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hello,

I have three consecutive 10 & 11 night cruises from Italy going to Greece booked for this summer. I can see the risk but will not cancel because I feel we have to carry on our lives regardless of which terrorist or dictator or tyrant etc is on the loose.

I do of course hope the situation is resolved quickly and without further injuries and loss of life. God willing I shall be sailing in July. :)

We will also not cancel. Where can you go otherwise? Everywhere there is some kind of trouble. First we wanted to go to New Zealand (earthquake), than we tought Japan (earthquake, tsunami, and radioactivity), finally we said Ok, Dubai, but the ship is suppossed to go trough Egypt, and RCI is cancelling its calls in Egyp, so well we said, lets go to the Panama Canal and guess what, one port was Acapulco. Have your heard what happened there yesterday?

The world does not seem to be OK anymore. Lets pray for those unfortunate people, which are suffering in all those places. For us, we will not cancell the mediterranean cruises and we feel fortunate to have this opportunity.

Gaddafi has stated he will take down planes and ships. He is probably very capable regardless of what others think on the other post that the USAF would intervene. They may try to intervene, but multiple missiles??? I wouldn't cruise there until this crisis is over.

Based on what? Gaddafi has always been a big talker. My DH is a US Navy Officer and has spent time over in the Med. Gaddafi's air defense systems have been greatly damaged. That said, I wouldn't cruise til things settle down because you never know, but the USAF? US Navy yes because they are there. USAF would have to fly in from pretty far away or launch from pretty far away. It does help to have a few facts.

That said, I wouldn't cruise til things settle down because you never know, but the USAF? US Navy yes because they are there. USAF would have to fly in from pretty far away or launch from pretty far away. It does help to have a few facts.

It does help to have a few facts.

The USAF has a very capable over the horizon strike. It's called the B-2 Spirit. It was reported on CBS this morning that B-2's from Whiteman Airforce Base, Mo, struck Libyan airfields.

As for cruising the Med at this time, I wouldn't hesitate.

Dear friends:

It's nice to see the comments start to chime in.

I'm usually one of the most adventurous persons I actually know. When I was a diplomat, I was in war zones and countries with severe safety deficiencies.

However, we're not talking about work -- we're talking about a holiday -- a vacation.

I'm watching the live broadcast of our 9 o'clock news here in Spain right now. You actually see the warships, aircraft carriers, etc. leaving port with the French Riviera in the background.

While cruise ships will obviously stay away from the Libyan and North African coasts, it just seems too close to me, and I don't know if I want to cruise right through an area where all of this is going on.

My next upcoming RCCL cruise is around Holy Week (one month from now) -- let's see how all of this unfolds.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

It's nice to see the comments start to chime in.

I'm usually one of the most adventurous persons I actually know. When I was a diplomat, I was in war zones and countries with severe safety deficiencies.

However, we're not talking about work -- we're talking about a holiday -- a vacation.

I'm watching the live broadcast of our 9 o'clock news here in Spain right now. You actually see the warships, aircraft carriers, etc. leaving port with the French Riviera in the background.

While cruise ships will obviously stay away from the Libyan and North African coasts, it just seems too close to me, and I don't know if I want to cruise right through an area where all of this is going on.

My next upcoming RCCL cruise is around Holy Week (one month from now) -- let's see how all of this unfolds.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Maybe too close if you see the fire out the back end of a cruise missle heading inbound...Would be a different kind of fireworks for sure...

I think mostly the sailing are really safe unless somehow crazy Q somehow gets a way to attach ships at sea and decided he wanted to down a cruise ship like he had his agents do to Pan Am. I think his chance of taking out a cruise ship is pretty slim though.

What hasn't been commented on here is RCCL's response to all of these events around the world. If you want to see how they handle things of this nature, go to their home page and read the "Important Update". They divert and substitute ports, and also give passengers the option to cancel with a full refund.

I have a TA followed by an Eastern Mediterranean cruise scheduled starting 5/2. I will wait and see what RCCL decides to do. I told my husband this morning our TA may not go through the Straits of Gibraltar, and we may end up with a partial Western European cruise!! I also told him the Eastern Med might be cancelled. He said, "just tell me where I'm going".

If they cancel the Eastern Med, then we will probably use the credit for a cruise somewhere next year.

Travel insurance says it won't pay for "acts of war, declared or undeclared", but I will go to them and my credit card company to see if I can get reimbursed for the air change fee ($300 total). Our air goes through London to come back to CA, so if we end up in Western Europe we only have to change part of our air.

Always have a Plan B, and then go with the flow.

I would not hesitate to cruise the Med. Gadafi is going to try to make a nuisance of himself--as usual--but he has no reach outside of his own borders other than via terrorism. Flying may be a tad more dangerous than usual for a while, as he will not hesitate to take down another civilian air-liner if he can get away with it. As far as war in the Med is concerned, there will be war planes cruising overhead where I am (south-western France) but they're just on their way to some refueling base on Corsica. It takes 4 refueling stops between some places in France and Libya. Madrid is probably too far out of the way, but the Royal Air Force may use Gibraltar for refueling? I hope it's over quickly.

I would not hesitate to cruise the Med. Gadafi is going to try to make a nuisance of himself--as usual--but he has no reach outside of his own borders other than via terrorism. Flying may be a tad more dangerous than usual for a while, as he will not hesitate to take down another civilian air-liner if he can get away with it. As far as war in the Med is concerned, there will be war planes cruising overhead where I am (south-western France) but they're just on their way to some refueling base on Corsica. It takes 4 refueling stops between some places in France and Libya. Madrid is probably too far out of the way, but the Royal Air Force may use Gibraltar for refueling? I hope it's over quickly.

That is my only concern "terrorism against flights" :( I am hoping the security changes since 9/11 will make that more difficult. We just booked an eastern med cruise for early June, I am looking forward to it but I am a little nervous about the flights.

Dear friends:

The F-18 planes Spain is contributing to the mission will be using the air force base right outside of Madrid back and forth (Torrejón -- this used to be a U.S. base but it closed and was given back to Spain in the 1990's).

As far as cruise ships not being a target, isn't anybody old enough to remember the Achille Lauro? The company that owned Achille Lauro is now MSC Cruises -- a huge Mediterranean cruise company with about 11 ships floating around the Mediterranean.

I'm not saying we'll be in any danger on a cruise ship, for now it just seems uncomfortable to be cruising right through what is becoming a war zone.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

There are certainly some good deals out there for the Med this spring....and also Mexico. We've just decided that we don't want to take a chance on being the next target of a crazy man who has it out for Americans or in the way of an "exchange" between drug cartels. We'll stick to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean, Canada, and the US this year....lots of great stuff to see and do there.

We are lucky. We cruised Azamara to the Holy Land last November. Just in time it seems. Right now, I would consider sailing the Med however we leave next month for a river cruise. We will be flying into Manchester first. I do find it unnerving and am worried about the air.

Gadhaffi has done it before and he's quite capable of doing it again. He is one of the world's biggest liars and his word means absolutely nothing. So, yes, I do think he would shoot down a plane or sink a ship if he possibly can. We just hope he can't.

Dear friends:

The F-18 planes Spain is contributing to the mission will be using the air force base right outside of Madrid back and forth (Torrejón -- this used to be a U.S. base but it closed and was given back to Spain in the 1990's).

As far as cruise ships not being a target, isn't anybody old enough to remember the Achille Lauro? The company that owned Achille Lauro is now MSC Cruises -- a huge Mediterranean cruise company with about 11 ships floating around the Mediterranean.

I'm not saying we'll be in any danger on a cruise ship, for now it just seems uncomfortable to be cruising right through what is becoming a war zone.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi Cruisinggerman,

As you see we are booked for 2 cruises that will be moving in that area in May. What happened to the Achilles Lauro, and when?

I repeat: RCCL is not sailing any ships through any war zones. Be prepared for itinerary changes if things are still heated up over there by the time you cruise.

According to CNN this morning, however, I think it's gonna be over pretty soon.

I repeat: RCCL is not sailing any ships through any war zones. Be prepared for itinerary changes if things are still heated up over there by the time you cruise.

I agree 100% with you. I've had two cruise itinerary changes because RCI considered there could be a risk. They are very conservative and will take no chances when it comes to passenger safety.

The fear is now that Gaddafi with use his stocks of chemical weapons (which he hs used before) in terrorist attacks in Europe.

That's all we need, stories about WMD's. Heard about that somewhere before.:rolleyes:

Maybe we should start up OIL, Operation Independent Libya.:eek:

I agree 100% with you. I've had two cruise itinerary changes because RCI considered there could be a risk. They are very conservative and will take no chances when it comes to passenger safety.

That's all we need, stories about WMD's. Heard about that somewhere before.:rolleyes:

Maybe we should start up OIL, Operation Independent Libya.:eek:

Gadaffi has used Mustard Gas (chemical weapon) agaist Chad during the 1980's and he has a lot of it left. Iraq has nothing to do with this and the "war" against Libya was started by EU nations not the US.

Gadaffi has used Mustard Gas (chemical weapon) agaist Chad during the 1980's and he has a lot of it left. Iraq has nothing to do with this and the "war" against Libya was started by EU nations not the US.

According to this report, he doesn't have a lot left.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=12979820

As for the war with Chad, the mustard gas was provided by Iran and did more harm to Libyan forces due to blow back than it did to Chad forces.

The intervention is a UN operation, not an EU operation. At least that's what we understand over here.

According to this report, he doesn't have a lot left.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=12979820

As for the war with Chad, the mustard gas was provided by Iran and did more harm to Libyan forces due to blow back than it did to Chad forces.

The intervention is a UN operation, not an EU operation. At least that's what we understand over here.

It was supposed to be a test of the EU Common Security and Defence Policy and EU Rapid Reaction Force but it fizzled. It's an EU think that has been endorsed by the UN and to a degree the Arab League. Regardless the military of Libya is non existent at this point and will be no threat to anyone in the Mediterranian.

Archived