Radiance Review from a travel agent perspective

I wonder who was buying the booze for the underage kids? I bet no other cruise line has underage drinking going on:p NOT! If these minor complaints are reason enough for the OP to not cruise RCCL again, see ya.

OP I absolutely agree with your comment of Patricia. That gal can make you feel like she's known you for years within minutes of meeting you. She is one special lady!

I am a little miffed of the time zones problem. We have been on the Radiance many times since it came to Tampa and the only time the ship changed it's on board clocks was the switch for Daylight savings times. All the other times the captain made very funny remarks about the island time and the ship's time and how well you can swim. Just one thing we have no control over....time changes.

My concern for you since you are a travel agent, is the feedback you are now going to give your clients. I am sure repeat business is the foundation of building a good clientèle. Please take a hard look at "your" personal thoughts before handing out all the nitty gritty to a client.

A couple of points to the OP:

The suite perk differences are not due to the cruise being five day vs seven day but due to ship class.

You sailed at one of the few times of year when, due to Mexico & the US having different dates for starting daylight savings time, Tampa time and Cozumel time are two hours apart. Normally, Radiance does not change times at all, but doing it when there's a two hour time difference makes sense (to me at least).

I just got off of Allure today.....I do have to say that there was quite a bit of underage drinking going on. My kids are 12 and 16 and were in the teen club daily, so they knew the ages of the kids. In Cozumel there were a group of them that were so drunk they could barely stand....they were 15 and 16yr olds.....would love to know where there parents were as they can't just walk off the ship alone. Last night (sea day) a girl in the teen club with my 12yr old was thrown out and security called to get her for being drunk....my DD said she then fought with security who took her to guest relations to call the person who was responsible for her....she was traveling with friends and not her own parents.....she then threw up at guest relations as she waited. A group of teens also apparently broke into one of the DJ booths and stole some equipment.....they asked the teens to step forward as they were told they have them on video....none did....not sure the outcome.....but my kids had some odd stories to tell this time around.

OP I absolutely agree with your comment of Patricia. That gal can make you feel like she's known you for years within minutes of meeting you. She is one special lady!

This is a good example of how things can differ from cruise to cruise. Patricia was not good on my sailing. Kathy (PH8) was in the GS right next to me and she will tell you the same thing. Maybe she got a reality check after our cruise and turned things around.

Sorry double post

So I will use this time to respond to Paul regarding Patricia,,,,we had her on Nov 8, 18th and Dec 2nd. Looks like you were right in the middle. I was with Kathy on a couple of them too. I guess this proves it is very hard to be that upbeat and on the ball day in and day out.

I appreciate the OP taking time to share her opinion but I have to question some comments if this person is an experienced travel agent. Also, a person should know that you never pack electronics or breakable items in checked luggage. Other than that, I hope that you enjoy your future cruises on what ever line suits your needs.

So I will use this time to respond to Paul regarding Patricia,,,,we had her on Nov 8, 18th and Dec 2nd. Looks like you were right in the middle. I was with Kathy on a couple of them too. I guess this proves it is very hard to be that upbeat and on the ball day in and day out.

Yea, I'm sure you are right. Our cruise was Nov 27 and Kathy stayed on for 1 more afterwards (Dec 2).

Firstly, I am very sorry that your cruise on the Radiance Of The Sea was not perfect, but that’s life------

YOUR QUOTEAnd was told there were none and to pack mine. Well,, when I opened my luggage and unwrapped my very expensive lighted magnifying mirror for the second time,,, (remember I checked it when I got off the plane and it was not broken) It was broken now aboard the ship. Needless to say, I was furious, because 1) they broke it and 2) I did not have to bring it since there was one in the room-

Sorry for your loss, but as a “Travel Agent” I am sure you realize that all suitcases are handled in the same manner – roughly – and who would place delicate expensive glass into checked-in luggage?

YOUR QUOTE Time changes. What a nightmare. We stayed on Eastern day light savings time the first day. The next morning we were on Central day light savings time. When we entered port, we stayed on Central day light savings time, but local time was regular central time. That part is pretty common. Our last sea day was on central day light savings time, but for our debarkation day, we were on Eastern day light savings time

Sorry for asking, but as a “Travel Agent”, have you ever been a cruise before ? The time changes you mentioned are common for ALL cruise lines .

YOUR QUOTE Formal night was beautiful. But the air conditioning for the ship seemed like it was working extra hard, but not producing much cool air that evening. I was in sleeveless, so know I was not dressed heavily for this event. I was perspiring from the time I was getting ready to the pictures to the dinner. I t was excessively warm.

Not sure which part of the country you are from, but the Caribbean is always hot and if you think it was hot during your cruise during March, Suggestion- don’t cruise then during the summer ---

YOUR QUOTE Beware the internet!!!!! My daughter had a spending limit per day. Instead of buying things she used the internet every day. I mean every day. Her spending limit was on internet and a few airbrushed tattoos. The internet is $0.65 per minute &

Older teens and drinking.

Royal Caribbean has a no drinking policy for anyone under the age of 21. That is good. But I spoke to several 18-20 years olds with alcoholic beverages in their hands and pretty drunk. They had figured out how to drink on board. The sea pass cards have two holes punched in them to show the guest is a minor. However, if they lose their cards and go down to guest relations to get a new one,,,

I am very sorry and in no way am I indicating anything negative about the way you raise your kids, but- Is it really RCCL responsibility to take care of kids, what ever happened to parents taking care and looking after their own kids ?

YOUR QUOTE Will I sail Royal Caribbean again? Probably not. Will I sell it to my clients? I will, but inform them completely of what is entailed so they make an informed decision to book or not.

This remark irritates me the most – I sincerely cannot believe that a REAL travel agent would steer clients away from RCCL - Base on this statement, you are either not a real travel agent or you have never cruised before.

I am sorry that my remarks are so negative, but RCCL is one of the great cruise lines of the world !

Is it just me, or does everyones font look really tiny today? :confused:

I did not touch the settings on my computer ... it's weird.

The staff at both Portofinos and Chops were good, but when you have young teens, they tend to not serve you as well as they do adult guests. They had no idea that my children were raised trying new things and rating restaurants. They were not rude by any means, please know that. But for those of you who have children and go to restaurants, you know what I am probably talking about. You know, the staff that sees a mother with her children, they think “not a big tipper” so they take care of you, but no doting over you like those dressed to the nines and appear to tip well.

Where do these people come up with these things?:confused::eek::D I am sure the staff at Portofino and Chops check everyone out as they walk through the door and put them into categories - big tipper, non-tipper, medium tipper. And then adjust their service accordingly..... :rolleyes:

Where do these people come up with these things?:confused::eek::D I am sure the staff at Portofino and Chops check everyone out as they walk through the door and put them into categories - big tipper, non-tipper, medium tipper. And then adjust their service accordingly..... :rolleyes:

I don't get the tipping and teen comments either. We have gone to both Portofino and Chops with our son who was a teen at the time and the waitstaff went out of the way to get him everything he wanted, how he wanted. The waiter in Portofino even got my son's dessert for him while we were still finishing our dinners since my son was trying to make a foosball tournament. The waiter even stopped my son the next day in the WJ to ask him if he won the tournament. We must look like big tippers I guess.:rolleyes:

I don't get the tipping and teen comments either. We have gone to both Portofino and Chops with our son who was a teen at the time and the waitstaff went out of the way to get him everything he wanted, how he wanted. The waiter in Portofino even got my son's dessert for him while we were still finishing our dinners since my son was trying to make a foosball tournament. The waiter even stopped my son the next day in the WJ to ask him if he won the tournament. We must look like big tippers I guess.:rolleyes:

You must have been "dressed to the nines"! (which would have offset the points you lost for bringing your teen) :p;):D:D

I think you would find that the other mass market lines are similar, though - nothing that you experienced is unique to RCI, even the broken mirror.

The only line that has broken something of mine was Celebrity. Received one suitcase totally smashed and bent. We had a cheap clock radio in there that was cracked but still worked well enough for the cruise. Threw it out and the suitcase when we got home. Did not bother reporting it because these things just happen sometimes.

I am especially confused because I thought the tip is included! :confused:

This is a good example of how things can differ from cruise to cruise. Patricia was not good on my sailing. Kathy (PH8) was in the GS right next to me and she will tell you the same thing. Maybe she got a reality check after our cruise and turned things around.

I was gonna say I bet she got a good talking to early Dec.....:rolleyes: She was the worse attendant I ever had.....without getting into details,she was very sneaky about things......Im sure she got in some trouble.....even the concierge was fed up with her...

I did a b2b and got a new attendant assigned to my cabin for the 2nd leg...I would had refused cabin service if it was Patricia again........it was THAT bad!:eek:

Is it just me' date=' or does everyones font look really tiny today? :confused:

I did not touch the settings on my computer ... it's weird.[/quote']

Just that one poster's font looks tiny to me. The rest are all normal size - at least on my screen.

Thank you for your review - as someone who is cruising on RCL for the first time next month and only cruised on Regent (5 times) and Cunard (1) time - I completely expect my Dreamworks cruise on Freedom to be drastically different than my experiences on Regent. I utterly enjoyed my cruises on Regent but the price differential with RCL is enormous - you can't expect the same experience when Regent is triple/quadruple the price. Also, I have a child now and I have to think of her enjoyment, too. I suspect she will be tinkled pink to "meet" Shrek, Fiona, Alex, etc - I suspect she wouldn't really enjoy the more "adult," toned down atmosphere of any of the Regent (then Radisson Seven Seas) ships.

I appreciate your thoughts and wish you the best on future cruises..

DeborahLynn, hope you will give RCCL a chance to shine on your next cruise. Don't go on Spring Break, it is probably one of the worst weeks to go in terms of service not being totally up to par since the ship is croweded to the max and lots of naughty kids aboard can make things hectic for all guests.

Glad you did share your experience.

Understand the desire to not swap out time zones so much...it can be annoying. That said, I've been to Europe and Asia for long weekend trips more than once so understand that swaping around time zones can be tough...just go with it and enjoy the vacation. One or two time zones is not that bad, try 5-7 for a couple days then back...it's fun...

Be glad your kids behaved, it shows they have learned well from you.

Thank you for your review - as someone who is cruising on RCL for the first time next month and only cruised on Regent (5 times) and Cunard (1) time - I completely expect my Dreamworks cruise on Freedom to be drastically different than my experiences on Regent. I utterly enjoyed my cruises on Regent but the price differential with RCL is enormous - you can't expect the same experience when Regent is triple/quadruple the price. Also, I have a child now and I have to think of her enjoyment, too. I suspect she will be tinkled pink to "meet" Shrek, Fiona, Alex, etc - I suspect she wouldn't really enjoy the more "adult," toned down atmosphere of any of the Regent (then Radisson Seven Seas) ships.

I appreciate your thoughts and wish you the best on future cruises..

Which category of cabin do you have?

Interesting reading.

Her only previous cruises were on Carnival.

Valor once and Ecstasy "numerous times".

Her experience.......is much different than mine........and that of Patti's many voyages with her favorite ship. She knows the Radiance inside out.

Congratulations on finally sailing on Royal Caribbean, so that you have something to compare Carnival with.

May I suggest that you start cruising with many different lines.......so that you can be a true travel agent........and understand the differences of most, if not all of the lines......if you are going to book people on more than just Carnival.

Maybe this thread needs to be in the Review section of CC.

Rick

Archived