Floatplanes: Ketchikan Misty Fjords or Juneau Glaciers

craig-n-carol

Both feature amazingly beautiful scenery, but we prefer the glacier flightseeing...has a greater "wow" factor for us. Our teens liked the helicopter glacier landing better than the fixed wing or float plane flightseeing.

We booked with a private vendor in Ketchikan (island wings), and she landed the plane on a remote lake, where we were able to get out and walk around a bit; this may not be an option if you book through NCL, and our teens really enjoyed this.

Ask your son???? Give him a computer research job finding out. :)

Probably the glacier flightseeing would be a little more interesting- but then I would suggest a glacier helicopter landing, if that is of interest?

Ask your son???? Give him a computer research job finding out. :)

Probably the glacier flightseeing would be a little more interesting- but then I would suggest a glacier helicopter landing, if that is of interest?

He says he likes the idea of "Misty Fjords" versus "a bunch of big ice cubes" lol.

He also said he would likely be less fearful of flying in a plane as opposed to a chopper. Gotta love the teens. They are so hard to impress.:)

Both feature amazingly beautiful scenery, but we prefer the glacier flightseeing...has a greater "wow" factor for us. Our teens liked the helicopter glacier landing better than the fixed wing or float plane flightseeing.

We booked with a private vendor in Ketchikan (island wings), and she landed the plane on a remote lake, where we were able to get out and walk around a bit; this may not be an option if you book through NCL, and our teens really enjoyed this.

We booked the Misty Fjords through NCL. They do a remote lake landing as well. They said this particular flight is with a de Haviland Bushmaster floatplane, whatever that is. I think I feel a little more comfortable taking the excursion through he cruise line. There is only a $26 price difference overall than with Island Wings.

thanks for your responses!

Craig

He says he likes the idea of "Misty Fjords" versus "a bunch of big ice cubes" lol.

He also said he would likely be less fearful of flying in a plane as opposed to a chopper. Gotta love the teens. They are so hard to impress.:)

We booked the Misty Fjords through NCL. They do a remote lake landing as well. They said this particular flight is with a de Haviland Bushmaster floatplane, whatever that is. I think I feel a little more comfortable taking the excursion through he cruise line. There is only a $26 price difference overall than with Island Wings.

Craig

Yes, the NCL excursion will land on an alpine lake, but you will just be able to stand on the pontoons for a few minutes. With Island Wings and the other independents, you will be able to spend 20 to 30 minutes on land. The experience out there in the wilderness is awe-inspiring. I've gone with Michelle (Island Wings) twice and will be back with her again this summer.

Craig

Well, you got your decision. :)

You may want to look a little more at the Misty Fiord floatplane flying. They ALL land, but the tour, you have booked, will only allow you a few minutes out on the floats, they then take off again. You are with probably Taquan, maybe Promech.

The trip is superior with any of the long standing independents, who live there. The ship contractors which are big companies, always use some seasonal pilots, and you have no input on who you get. (I have my preferred pilots :) ) There is more time out with independents and more variation in routings and landings.

This is only trying to post complete information, that is detailed. ANY of the Misty Fiords flightseeing trips, is fantastic.

This is probably my most repeated Alaska tour. :)

Archived