Just back from Ruby yesterday..any questions??

FliLady

Thanks for the MUTS info! looking forward to catching up on a couple of movies!

Did you have a Meet & Greet? If so, how did it go? any officers attend?

We sail on Sunday an I'm so ready!!!!

I saw Secretariat on MUTS last week as well.

Regarding piano players....International Piano Man Bert Stratton was playing in Crooners Bar. Piano entertainemt was also oferred in Adagio and the Wheelhouse by Radyk Bashrov and Ziggy Jutczyk...

Red, Another Year, Tangled, True Grit, The Social Network, and several "live in concert" showings of Beyonce, Bon Jovi, and other musical talents.

I can only presume that in this context, the above is tongue-in-cheek. . .

Red, Another Year, Tangled, True Grit, The Social Network, and several "live in concert" showings of Beyonce, Bon Jovi, and other musical talents.

Ooooohhhh I hope they are playing Bon Jovi concerts when I sail on the CB in May. They're my favourite band ever...that would be epic to be on the high seas with JBJ & the boys!

Just returned from the Ruby yesterday..I will be writing a full, detailed review, but let me know if you have any immediate questions!

Welcome back Flilady, hope you had a blast. Couple q's.

-in St Maarten I see the Ruby was last in (out of 6) at 10:00am. Not knowing what you did, did that late arrival make it tough to stake out a spot on the beach? Was that a real zoo with all those ships? We like to just water taxi over to the beach and rent chairs (front row).

-in Grand Turk, getting in at 1pm was there another ship at the terminal? If so did that mess up beach lounging availability?

We've always loved this itinerary but went southern for the last two. We're ready to return to eastern but these late arrival times concern us a bit. Appreciate your reply and thoughts when you can...:)

:cool:

I saw Secretariat on MUTS last week as well.

Regarding piano players....International Piano Man Bert Stratton was playing in Crooners Bar. Piano entertainemt was also oferred in Adagio and the Wheelhouse by Radyk Bashrov and Ziggy Jutczyk...

So great that Bert Stratton is back on Princess Cruises. Have so many friends over the years that just cannot get enough of him. Over the years I played his name over and over in my head and turns out I did remember him when I grew up in Rural Central New York.

I have heard Bert Stratton on many cruises. It is always mentioned he is from central NY. I live in Syracuse which is central NY. What rural area did both of you live in?

I am going to be on the Ruby March 27th and I wonder if he is entertaining on my cruise.

Sali

This past week both St. Maarten and Grand Turk were overcrowded...the beach near the water taxi was absolutely packed due to the 20 000 oe so passengers that were there.

On Grand Turk, the Carnival Glory got in around 11AM. If there is another ship there don't even bother trying to get a chair anywhere in Margaritaville until the Glory passengers start going back (departure was 5:30 I think). The beach was packed as well, but if you are off the Ruby early enough...try getting off ASAP...it is possible to snag a chair.

This past week both St. Maarten and Grand Turk were overcrowded...the beach near the water taxi was absolutely packed due to the 20 000 oe so passengers that were there.

On Grand Turk, the Carnival Glory got in around 11AM. If there is another ship there don't even bother trying to get a chair anywhere in Margaritaville until the Glory passengers start going back (departure was 5:30 I think). The beach was packed as well, but if you are off the Ruby early enough...try getting off ASAP...it is possible to snag a chair.

I'm so glad we reserved a cabana in Margaritaville!

I think I'll check out Bert, sounds like he will be very entertaining since I've heard a lot about him over the years.

We are going to be on the Ruby in a few weeks. Do you happen to remember what the dining rotation was? I know its subject to change but I doubt it would deviate much within a few weeks. Thanks!

We used Bernard in st. Maarten to drive us around the island.... Traffic wasn't bad and we stopped at maho beach to watch the planes and stopped at orient beach for a while, though we were on the clothing optional side it was not crowded. Either side.

In grand Turk, jack's shack was a nice alternative to margaritaville.....

Just returned from the Ruby yesterday..I will be writing a full, detailed review, but let me know if you have any immediate questions!

Funny the Ruby is heading to the Grand Turks right now.and will return on Sunday. :confused:

Do you know if Southwest is part of the EZ check for baggage--where you put out your bags the night before and don't see them again until your home airport? I'm speaking of FLL of course.

Unfortunately, Southwest does not participate in the EZ check. We just got off the Sapphire on Mach 19th and could not use the EZ check feature. I guess that's the price we pay for getter the cheaper airfare and the "no luggage fee". Maybe next time *fingers crossed*

Welcome back Flilady, hope you had a blast. Couple q's.

-in St Maarten I see the Ruby was last in (out of 6) at 10:00am. Not knowing what you did, did that late arrival make it tough to stake out a spot on the beach? Was that a real zoo with all those ships? We like to just water taxi over to the beach and rent chairs (front row).

-in Grand Turk, getting in at 1pm was there another ship at the terminal? If so did that mess up beach lounging availability?

We've always loved this itinerary but went southern for the last two. We're ready to return to eastern but these late arrival times concern us a bit. Appreciate your reply and thoughts when you can...:)

We were on the March 13th sailing as well. We were told that the Ruby Princess is the only ship in Grand Turk every other week. We happened to get there when Carnival was there too. If you walk along the beach and get away from the crowds you will find "free beach chairs". We just put our stuff down on the beach, went for a swim and kept an eye on people leaving. We were able to get two beach chairs with umbrella soon after we arrived.

In St Martin there were a lot of ships. We did a tour with Bernard and we had no problem getting chairs at Orient Beach...although it was extremely busy. But we arrived around 3 pm (after our tour of the island) so that might have helped us. Walk along the beach and look for the beach chair deals. Some are better than others. Ours included a beverage, access to a change room and bathroom and an umbrella. They bring your beverage and any food you order to your chair.

It was a great cruise.

Do you know if Southwest is part of the EZ check for baggage--where you put out your bags the night before and don't see them again until your home airport? I'm speaking of FLL of course.

Yes, I can give you first hand info on this one. SW is definitely part of this program and it worked just great. I departed from the Ruby in FLL on 3/13. Put my bags outside cabin door with special tags on them before I went to bed. Did not see them again until I reached my home airport. I will use this service whenever it is available. It's the 3rd or 4th time I've used it. Best $20 I ever spent. I had 2 heavy bags. No baggage charges. :p

Unfortunately, Southwest does not participate in the EZ check. We just got off the Sapphire on Mach 19th and could not use the EZ check feature. I guess that's the price we pay for getter the cheaper airfare and the "no luggage fee". Maybe next time *fingers crossed*

I don't know about the Sapphire, but I definitely used it in FLL on the Ruby on March 13th!

To answer your question yes. We have just returned from sailing on the Ruby which disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale. We flew Southwest and used this service. It made everything so easy. You will get a form in your stateroom. Your flight out has to be after 11:30. You fill out the form and bring it to passenger services with your $20.00 per person and your passport or driver's license and your good to go. :D

Thanks for the replies. There are 6 of us and it will be worth it not to have to stand in the long lines to check the bags. Our flight is 1 p.m. Now I just have to remind everyone to plan for a small carryon for the flight home as their checked bags will be gone the night before.

Yes, I can give you first hand info on this one. SW is definitely part of this program and it worked just great. I departed from the Ruby in FLL on 3/13. Put my bags outside cabin door with special tags on them before I went to bed. Did not see them again until I reached my home airport. I will use this service whenever it is available. It's the 3rd or 4th time I've used it. Best $20 I ever spent. I had 2 heavy bags. No baggage charges. :p

Lynda;

Is EZ Check back in full force? In 2009 when we ended our T/A in FLL, it was not offered. In 2008 on the Emerald it was. I totally agree with you in it is the best money ever spent. I just hope it is offered when we all sail on the Ruby.....

Bob

Archived