question for Don and Betsy

MomC

Did you happen to have one of the oceanview cabins for part of you b2b cruises on Marina?

If so, am I correct in assuming that the only difference between those cabins and the balcony cabins is that there is no balcony--but the room size and configuration is the same??

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. We are considering the ocean view on our British Isles Cruise in June, 2012--there is a hefty $2400 pp difference between that and the PH we were considering.

Mom C --aka Linda, Kelli and Bob

Did you happen to have one of the oceanview cabins for part of you b2b cruises on Marina?

If so, am I correct in assuming that the only difference between those cabins and the balcony cabins is that there is no balcony--but the room size and configuration is the same??

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. We are considering the ocean view on our British Isles Cruise in June, 2012--there is a hefty $2400 pp difference between that and the PH we were considering.

Mom C --aka Linda, Kelli and Bob

Hi Linda~

Don and Betsy were always in Veranda staterooms, and Don tells me that he may be away from the boards for a while, so I will try to field this, if you don't mind.

Yes, the Ocean view rooms that we saw were exactly the same configuration and size. The only difference was that amazing wall of glass.

m-room-lg-c.jpg

If you want one of these, don't wait to reserve it, I believe that there are only 30 on the whole ship, and they go quickly!

Regards to Kelli & Bob-

Jim

Actually there are 20 oceanviews on the Marina and Riviera. 18 are regular sized at 242 sq ft and 2 are accessible cabins. We visited one on the Maiden Voyage and are booked in them on two more cruises. :)

I stand corrected about the number of rooms

Note to self: WEAR GLASSES! :eek:

Yes, the Ocean view rooms that we saw were exactly the same configuration and size. The only difference was that amazing wall of glass.

m-room-lg-c.jpg

I would not describe the view out to sea as a "wall of glass" even though there are floor length windows, for the simple reason that the entire lower half of each of the windows has horizontal bars similar to the balconies, that is to say there are four white metal bars and one brown wood bar across.

The view out does not look like what the rendering you uploaded shows.

I would not describe the view out to sea as a "wall of glass" even though there are floor length windows, for the simple reason that the entire lower half of each of the windows has horizontal bars similar to the balconies, that is to say there are four white metal bars and one brown wood bar across.

The view out does not look like what the rendering you uploaded shows.

Happy Now?

022534.jpg

Actually, I did not think that the railing impeded the view very much. :p

Happy Now?

022534.jpg

Actually, I did not think that the railing impeded the view very much. :p

Yes, thank you, I am happy you found the picture I had seen. As for the stateroom, while I would prefer the view without the exterior railings, I can understand that it may have been done for safety reasons.

The picture really helped as did the information about the cabin size. These look like the

French balcony that many of the European river boats have. I appreciate your standing in for Don. Wish we were going on the Riviera cruise with you guys. Just like the Marina--with minor tweaks to make it perfect. Heaven!

Mom C

I really appreciate the pictures of the Oceanview cabins on Marina. We have never had anything but a Veranda and have booked an Oceanview for "Northern Interludes" in June, 2012. Dollars of course made that decision and we never use a balcony! Anyone else looking at this 14 day cruise - a few new ports for us and I understand Iceland is beautiful. We will be on Marina April 26 so intend to check out the Oceanview Cabin and see if it takes much away from the experience, I'd be happy to investigate any questions any cruisers might have.

Charles

I really appreciate the pictures of the Oceanview cabins on Marina. We have never had anything but a Veranda and have booked an Oceanview for "Northern Interludes" in June, 2012. Dollars of course made that decision and we never use a balcony! Anyone else looking at this 14 day cruise - a few new ports for us and I understand Iceland is beautiful. We will be on Marina April 26 so intend to check out the Oceanview Cabin and see if it takes much away from the experience, I'd be happy to investigate any questions any cruisers might have.

Charles

Have you checked the ROLL CALL for your cruises

There you will meet other sailing with you

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

Hope you make friends with someone in an Oceanview cabin so we will know what they are like

I tried to get a glimpse but never any doors open :D

We were fortunate enough to snag one of these for our upcoming Baltic Treasures cruise in June, and it looks absolutely lovely. I promise to report back to you all on these boards.

Just over two months to wait now!:)

Does anyone have a photo taken from inside an oceanview cabin looking out?

I found some photos of the Celebrity Suites on the M-class ships of Celebrity and they do have full walls of glass with no grills or bars outside the window, so apparently there is no need for horizontal bars for safety, as these ships have been operating safely for years.

This shows the view from a Celebrity Suite (has no balcony) looking out.

http://www.cruiseweb.com/celebrity-imagelibrary/ship-constellation/CEL_CS_OView_Suite_2-w600.jpg

Does anyone have a photo taken from inside an oceanview cabin looking out?

I found some photos of the Celebrity Suites on the M-class ships of Celebrity and they do have full walls of glass with no grills or bars outside the window, so apparently there is no need for horizontal bars for safety, as these ships have been operating safely for years.

This shows the view from a Celebrity Suite (has no balcony) looking out.

http://www.cruiseweb.com/celebrity-imagelibrary/ship-constellation/CEL_CS_OView_Suite_2-w600.jpg

My take on this, having been in the room, is that the railing is supposed to give the impression of a Juliet Balcony, which is all the rage in European hotel design, just now.

I imagine that there was some early talk about making those windows into french doors, but that can wreak havoc with the HVAC. Seabourn learned that the hard way.

**Note** If you are taking photographs through that window, then you need to be close enough to the glass to avoid the glare anyway, so the railing does not figure into the equation (unless you are kneeling down).

My take on this, having been in the room, is that the railing is supposed to give the impression of a Juliet Balcony, which is all the rage in European hotel design, just now.

I imagine that there was some early talk about making those windows into french doors, but that can wreak havoc with the HVAC. Seabourn learned that the hard way.

**Note** If you are taking photographs through that window, then you need to be close enough to the glass to avoid the glare anyway, so the railing does not figure into the equation (unless you are kneeling down).

Juliet balconies open so that you can get fresh air. If they are "the rage" then that would explain why. It's not for the appearance.

I prefer a wall of glass on the window that has no "impression" of a Juliet balcony and hope that the newer ship won't have these useless horizontal bars.

Here's a Juliet balcony, and it opens.

http://www.crdirect.co.uk/images/balconies/bently-juliet-balcony.jpg

I prefer a wall of glass on the window that has no "impression" of a Juliet balcony and hope that the newer ship won't have these useless horizontal bars.

Here's a Juliet balcony, and it opens.

Sorry, but I doubt it's likely. Those bars serve for safety and they continue the line of the balconies on either side of these cabins. Without them the lines of the ship would be interrupted and less attractive. And I don't even want to think of someone falling against those windows in high seas if those railings were not in place. Maybe nothing would happen, but if it does. . . ?

Just finished a Carribbean trip on Celebrity in the celebrity suite. It doesn't have a balcony and the windows don't open. They are adding a balcony to the CS when they hit drydock.

That tells me that there must have been a change in SOLAS regulations to require it, since the Celebrity ships have been sailing with these suites for many years without problem.

SOLAS is an acronym for "safety of life at sea".

Archived