Passports in Greek ports?

MimiDo

Believe it or not on your cruise ( YMMV ) they collected all the passports. If you were so unlucky to have not checked on board at sailing the cruise ship would likely have left your passport with the port agent to aid you in your travels to the next port, costs paid by you of course.

To date every story I've heard about people missing the boat has been a combination of poor judgement of the cruiser ( drunk, lost track of time, too much shopping ), poor luck ( bad traffic, weather etc. ) and failure to adjust port schedule as the day progress.

So the question for people that worry about this is do you feel you'll do all three? Have bad luck, poor judgement and lastly refuse to adjust your planning as the port day goes.

If so than bring the passport, your toothbrush, cash, spare CC, and maybe a clean pair of underwear too :D

...correction....passport sailing away with the ship.....I think faster than I type :p

It defies logic to leave it behind on the ship, a passport that is.

If you leave it behind because you are afraid you'll lose it and wont have it, and you go into a foreign country YOU ARE without it anyway (you sort of create the situation you are most afraid of, being without a passport). Having a copy is NOT the same as having a passport. A passport, besides being your proof you have the right to legally re-enter your home country, it also proves your identity (a passport is the only universally accepted form of ID)

If some cruises take your passport, well in that case, say when I go to Greece, if they do that, I will take a ship sponsored excursion. I don't want to be out there on my own without my passport.

Believe it or not on your cruise ( YMMV ) they collected all the passports. If you were so unlucky to have not checked on board at sailing the cruise ship would likely have left your passport with the port agent to aid you in your travels to the next port, costs paid by you of course.

To date every story I've heard about people missing the boat has been a combination of poor judgement of the cruiser ( drunk, lost track of time, too much shopping ), poor luck ( bad traffic, weather etc. ) and failure to adjust port schedule as the day progress.

So the question for people that worry about this is do you feel you'll do all three? Have bad luck, poor judgement and lastly refuse to adjust your planning as the port day goes. Things happen, accidents for example. You can't plan for everything, right!!

If so than bring the passport, your toothbrush, cash, spare CC, and maybe a clean pair of underwear too :D

Now you are being silly......I can buy clean underwear anywhere!!! :o

I will try to locate it again and repost.

My main point is this, why plan on NOTHING happening, instead be prepared in case something happens, be well prepared, and be happy when nothing goes wrong.

Actually, the vast majority of cruisers do take shore excursions on Mediterranean cruises. I've seen the numbers onboard ship. And not that many cruise the Med to get sloshed in a bar; that's much more common behavior in the Caribbean/Mexico.

However, I don't think arguing the points is going to change anyone's mind. As convinced as you are that it's best to always have your passport, I am equally convinced that I am better off carrying it only under certain circumstances.

Still would like to see your referenced advisory, however. As I said, I've tried to find something definitive from the US state on this topic, which comes up frequently, but have not been able to do so.

Just wanted to thank everyone who shared their thoughts and information in response to my original post.

For the record, unless the cruise line informs us otherwise, we now plan to carry our passports (in our money belts, of course) when we get off the ship in Croatia and Turkey, but probably leave them locked in the safe when we enter Greece -- where we have planned to go to the beach -- and Italy, since they are EU countries. I feel fairly safe carrying a color photocopy (and as someone noted here, I'm already getting on an airplane to get to Europe, so I can apparently tolerate some risk). I am also fairly confident I could be reunited with that locked passport as long as both it and I are in Greece or Italy; but I want to be absolutely sure that I have it safe and sound when I line up for the plane to come home.

By the way, we have also stored scans of our passports on our computers at home, and emailed those scans to family members in case some sort of need arises.

Thanks again for helping me think this through.

Actually, the vast majority of cruisers do take shore excursions on Mediterranean cruises. I've seen the numbers onboard ship. And not that many cruise the Med to get sloshed in a bar; that's much more common behavior in the Caribbean/Mexico.

I was referring to the ships excurtions, not private ones in that portion of my post.

I'm not the only one who feels this way.....nor are you...to each his own.

The debate is good for new cruisers who are trying to gather information, and they will, as we all do, make up their own minds. It's good to hear both sides.

I looked again and can't find the exact mention-maybe it's been upgraded or was specific to certain countries-On the Canadian site it does mention this, however, you will find multiple cautions out there from a variety of sites....with specific references to NOT leaving it behind at a hotel (I think specifically one that could sail away from you) and if you do to put it in the hotels safe. This is especially true if there is any chance at all you might need to book a flight...like I said...missing the ship, an accident...

I'll grant you, in some places it's a hotly debated issue....Here is Rick Steven's debate of the topic - the point here too, is that a passport is also your international ID, the only one that is accepted everywhere.

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/17387/need-to-carry-passport-.html

It defies logic to leave it behind on the ship, a passport that is.

If you leave it behind because you are afraid you'll lose it and wont have it, and you go into a foreign country YOU ARE without it anyway (you sort of create the situation you are most afraid of, being without a passport). Having a copy is NOT the same as having a passport. A passport, besides being your proof you have the right to legally re-enter your home country, it also proves your identity (a passport is the only universally accepted form of ID)

I think you are really missing the point. It is one thing to say that you have a particular opinion about which option is correct. It is another thing to say that the option you don't endorse "defies logic".

There are four possible outcomes if you take your passport with you. There are also two possible outcomes if you leave your passport on the ship.

If you take your passport off the ship, one outcome is that you return to the ship, on time, with your passport. Another outcome is that you miss the ship, but at least you have your passport. A third outcome is that your passport is lost or stolen, but you make it back to the ship on time. The fourth outcome is that your passport is lost or stolen, and you don't make it back to the ship on time.

If you leave your passport on the ship, there are only two outcomes. Either you make it back to the ship on time, or you don't.

If you take your passport with you, you are exposing yourself to the risk of losing it or having it stolen. Some would say "needlessly" exposing yourself to that risk. Having your passport is great if you miss your ship. But if your passport is lost or stolen, you will have a difficult time getting home after your cruise (I'm particularly thinking of a cruise in Europe, since that is the topic of this board).

That risk is not immaterial, nor is the outcome if it happens. You can do all you want to keep your passport safe. Of course, at a certain point if you're so paranoid about not losing your passport that it never leaves your mind when you're ashore, then that probably says something about how much you're enjoying your vacation when you're carrying your passport around with you.

It is also important to bear in mind that it is not always a matter of being careful (or avoiding being careless). As a tourist, you're a target for being mugged. It won't matter where you're hiding it in your clothing, you may lose it.

So when I think about taking my passport in port, it is a matter of assessing the likelihood that I'll miss the ship sailing (and the impact of that happening) vs. the likelihood of having my passport lost or stolen (and the impact of that for returning home). The more likely it is that I'll miss the ship (e.g., doing a self-guided tour, using public transportation, visiting a destination that is further away from the port) and the greater the impact of not having the passport (the next port is difficult to get to or in another country), then the more likely I'll be to take my passport with me. The less likely that I'll miss the ship (e.g., ship's tour or staying within walking distance of the port) and the lower the impact (next port is easily reached and in the same country), then the less likely I will be to take my passport.

You need to know that either way, you are taking one risk, or you are taking the other risk. You can't avoid them both. You may disagree with the risk assessment. But you can't deny the logic. I don't want to return to my departure port and miss my flight home because I'm spending an extra three days saying, "If only I'd left the passports in the safe on the ship" while I'm waiting for my embassy to print up new passports for me and my family. Trip to Europe, priceless; cost of hotel for three days, four flights home from Europe, three extra days of work missed: ... ?

And I absolutely guarantee you that if you walk into your embassy with a high-quality photocopy of your passport that you'll get a replacement in less time at less cost and with less hassle than if you walk in with empty pockets and a good story.

It defies logic to leave it behind on the ship, a passport that is.[/I]

Good luck Scorpiorose.

I hope this works for you. I have cruised with 5 different cruise lines who all insisted on holding my passport for the duration of the cruise.

We think T.Advisor King's post is "spot on" regarding the issue and it reflects our own thinking. We normally do our own thing in European ports and often rent cars to take trains far from our ports. Our decision-making on the risk of missing the ship is based on the actual circumstances...and it is the same with passports. If we are in an EU country such as Italy, and our ship will be at another Italian (or French) port the following day....we know we can easily catch the ship (the following day) if things go horribly wrong and we miss the ship. In those cases we still do not need our passports since it is not a problem moving around in the EU without a passport (a photocopy is sufficient when checking-in to a hotel). On the other hand, if we are in a situation where missing the ship would involve major logistic problems then we might decide to carry our passports. In those rare cases we will tell the pursers office of our plans and, if they are holding all the passports, we request them back for that day (never a problem). It is also very important to have the name and phone number of the ship's port Agent ...and these days its also possible to get a cell phone number for the ship itself.

Hank

We think T.Advisor King's post is "spot on" regarding the issue and it reflects our own thinking. We normally do our own thing in European ports and often rent cars to take trains far from our ports. Our decision-making on the risk of missing the ship is based on the actual circumstances...and it is the same with passports. If we are in an EU country such as Italy, and our ship will be at another Italian (or French) port the following day....we know we can easily catch the ship (the following day) if things go horribly wrong and we miss the ship. In those cases we still do not need our passports since it is not a problem moving around in the EU without a passport (a photocopy is sufficient when checking-in to a hotel). On the other hand, if we are in a situation where missing the ship would involve major logistic problems then we might decide to carry our passports. In those rare cases we will tell the pursers office of our plans and, if they are holding all the passports, we request them back for that day (never a problem). It is also very important to have the name and phone number of the ship's port Agent ...and these days its also possible to get a cell phone number for the ship itself.

Hank

I say it defies logic because it is called a pass port, a pass in and out of a port - literally. It's definition denotes using it for this purpose. Now you decide how you will apply that.

As I said before....if the cruise line requires you to give it to them while in port, well there isn't a question...you go without, taking a copy as your only alternative.

If not, I will be taking mine. AND if you look on the boards and on various travel web sites you will see that it isn't just this one persons opinon, many travel adviory sites and agents and people believe in the literal translation of the word, and they take theirs always.

As I've said many decide to leave it, a choice you may certainly make.

Right back at cha, good luck with that. For me, I've traveled widely not just cruising, I'll keep mine close.

Happy cruising!!!:p

I say it defies logic because it is called a pass port, a pass in and out of a port - literally. It's definition denotes using it for this purpose. Now you decide how you will apply that.

As I said before....if the cruise line requires you to give it to them while in port, well there isn't a question...you go without, taking a copy as your only alternative.

If not, I will be taking mine. AND if you look on the boards and on various travel web sites you will see that it isn't just this one persons opinon, many travel adviory sites and agents and people believe in the literal translation of the word, and they take theirs always.

As I've said many decide to leave it, a choice you may certainly make.

Right back at cha, good luck with that. For me, I've traveled widely not just cruising, I'll keep mine close.

Happy cruising!!!:p

Oh, I get it now. Sorry, I thought you were saying that it defies logic to leave your passport in the cabin because you might need it. I realize now that you're saying that it defies logic to leave it in your cabin because the name of the document is a "PASSPORT" and because it bears that name, and ships dock at places called "PORTS", then it is only logical to take it with you when you are passing in and out of a port (never mind the fact that you don't actually need a passport to pass in and out of the port and haven't needed one to do so on a cruise ship in, what, 50 years?). I will further assume that if one day they change the name of the document from "PASSPORT" to, say, "NATIONAL IDENTITY DOCUMENT" that you will no longer feel the need to keep it with you when you go in and out of "PORTS".

Rofl :d

oh, i get it now. Sorry, i thought you were saying that it defies logic to leave your passport in the cabin because you might need it. I realize now that you're saying that it defies logic to leave it in your cabin because the name of the document is a "passport" and because it bears that name, and ships dock at places called "ports", then it is only logical to take it with you when you are passing in and out of a port (never mind the fact that you don't actually need a passport to pass in and out of the port and haven't needed one to do so on a cruise ship in, what, 50 years?). I will further assume that if one day they change the name of the document from "passport" to, say, "national identity document" that you will no longer feel the need to keep it with you when you go in and out of "ports".

Oh, I get it now. Sorry, I thought you were saying that it defies logic to leave your passport in the cabin because you might need it. I realize now that you're saying that it defies logic to leave it in your cabin because the name of the document is a "PASSPORT" and because it bears that name, and ships dock at places called "PORTS", then it is only logical to take it with you when you are passing in and out of a port (never mind the fact that you don't actually need a passport to pass in and out of the port and haven't needed one to do so on a cruise ship in, what, 50 years?). I will further assume that if one day they change the name of the document from "PASSPORT" to, say, "NATIONAL IDENTITY DOCUMENT" that you will no longer feel the need to keep it with you when you go in and out of "PORTS".

This isn't an argument, it's a debate...do as you like. I've lived abroad and am 52 and well traveled as well, and I always take it with me. It is, in fact, the only internationally accepted form of ID. So if you feel comfortable going out with out a valid form of ID then do so. Yes, you can carry your drivers license and birth certificate and chances are you will be fine. But should a real problem happen, as did with my aunt, then I will feel prepared.

There are plenty of TA sites and advise in travel books that agree with what I am saying. Each person should research the advise, and ports and make a decision best for them, knowing the risks to leaving it and the risks to taking it.

From the US Consular service advice for Costa Rica:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1093.html

Tourists are encouraged to carry photocopies of the passport data page and Costa Rican entry stamp on their persons, and leave the original passport in a hotel safe or other secure place.

I'm just say'in. Don't want this thread to die, it is way too much fun! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I have cruised, our passports have been held securely by the purser's office and we are advised to collect them for those ports where we were required to carry them. My understanding is the ship is required to hold them as they are needed for clearing immigration in each of the ports.

PS I always carry a copy of the information page of our passports (along with Cruise Id Card) with us when we are off the ship, have another copy left onboard in my suitcase and an electronic copy on a USB stick which I travel with. Also there is an electronic copy on my computer at home so in case of emergency it can be emailed.

Unless instructed to do so- don't take your passport off the ship. Listen to the announcements. I did not take my passport off the ship in Dubrovnik or any of the ports on my Eastern Med. cruise. Normally customs boards the ship if they want to check passports but AGAIN... just listen for the announcements and read your daily newsletter.

From the US Consular service advice for Costa Rica:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1093.html

Tourists are encouraged to carry photocopies of the passport data page and Costa Rican entry stamp on their persons, and leave the original passport in a hotel safe or other secure place.

I'm just say'in. Don't want this thread to die, it is way too much fun! ;)

Um, perhaps you should have included the ENTIRE paragraph quoted, rather than just the section that supports your argument.

Costa Rican immigration authorities conduct routine immigration checks at locations, such as bars in downtown San Jose and beach communities.
U.S. citizens detained during one of these checks who have only a copy of the passport may be required to provide the original passport with appropriate stamps.

I'm just say'in.

Um, perhaps you should have included the ENTIRE paragraph quoted, rather than just the section that supports your argument.

Costa Rican immigration authorities conduct routine immigration checks at locations, such as bars in downtown San Jose and beach communities.
U.S. citizens detained during one of these checks who have only a copy of the passport may be required to provide the original passport with appropriate stamps.

I'm just say'in.

Exactly....as the post host suggests, do your research yourself and don't take advise on here as stated, look it up!!!

I'm just say'in.

Yep, you're correct. I should have completed the quotation. "May be required to provide the original passport with appropriate stamps." So, how does that modify the first sentence? It is a warning that you might have to give them the original. If it is in your hotel safe, you say so. If they want to see it badly enough, we go and get it. Or, if you know you are going to the bar district where this could be a problem, you take it with you and risk it being lifted.

It comes down to evaluating risks and acting accordingly.

I'm just say'in.

Why oh Why oh Why????? Take your passport to every foreign port, it is your Pass in and out of the PORT.....would you leave your credit card and ID on the ship and walk around with copies??

No! Leave the copy ON board and then, you have the information for the embassy if it is lost or stolen, like a credit card.

Passports are NOT a block of gold, to be locked up "safe" on the ship.

You know, things happen....like this...

and I wouldn't want to be in ANY foreign country with our proper ID. If I miss the ship, no problem, I go and book a flight to the next port...without it....

I search for the embassy and try to straighten out the mess of my passport sailing away with the ship.

Travelers in europe keep theirs with them all the time. Don't be afraid....be smart!!!

Why is this a debate for US citizens? The advisory from the US traveler alerts IS....keep your passport with you at all times when traveling....sage advise.

:rolleyes:

Still waiting for the US traveler advisory that you refer to.

Here's a blurb from the state departments Spain and Andorra website.

"Travelers should remain alert to their personal security and exercise caution. We suggest that travelers carry limited cash, only one credit card, and a copy of their passport; leaving extra cash, extra credit cards, passports and personal documents in a safe location. When carrying documents, credit cards, or cash, we recommend that you secure them in a hard-to-reach place and not carry all valuables together in a purse or backpack. "

Here's the URL: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1024.html

Hmm.... that's two state department sites that recommend not carrying passport as a precaution. I'm just say'in. Evaluate you're risk and act accordingly.

This topic gets old and almost boring. If folks want to carry their passports (assuming they can even get them from the cruise ship) then who cares. If their passport gets stolen they will have a major problem (there was a recent post about just this problem). Most experienced travelers (we might be in that category with nearly fifty years of international travel experience to over 80 countries) know that its usually best ot keep a passport locked securely in a safe be it in a hotel or ship. Many ships relieve passengers of the decision because they take the passports at embarkation and hold them to the last couple of days. But we understand that its a silly argument cause folks are going to do what they are going to do...and so what. But for travel newbies, heed our advice, keep your passport in a secure environment, carry a photo copy of your main passport page, and have a great time.

Hank

This topic gets old and almost boring. If folks want to carry their passports (assuming they can even get them from the cruise ship) then who cares. If their passport gets stolen they will have a major problem (there was a recent post about just this problem). Most experienced travelers (we might be in that category with nearly fifty years of international travel experience to over 80 countries) know that its usually best ot keep a passport locked securely in a safe be it in a hotel or ship. Many ships relieve passengers of the decision because they take the passports at embarkation and hold them to the last couple of days. But we understand that its a silly argument cause folks are going to do what they are going to do...and so what. But for travel newbies, heed our advice, keep your passport in a secure environment, carry a photo copy of your main passport page, and have a great time.

Hank

Logically, it seems like your passport is something you SHOULD be carrying with you. If I was staying in a hotel, I could see leaving it in the safe...if I needed it, I would be able to get my hands on it. But on a shore excursion, where the possibility exists of missing the ship (for whatever reason) and being separated from my passport in a circumstance where I would most need it...well, that's the conundrum.

What, exactly, happens when the ship retains your passport, and you get left behind in a port? Do they leave it with the ship's agent? If you leave your passport in your stateroom by choice, and miss the ship, does the ship staff ransack your stateroom looking for it?

I can see the validity of both sides of the argument. It's hard to believe this isn't addressed ANYWHERE on the Dept. of State website.:(

Still waiting for the US traveler advisory that you refer to.

Here's a blurb from the state departments Spain and Andorra website.

"Travelers should remain alert to their personal security and exercise caution. We suggest that travelers carry limited cash, only one credit card, and a copy of their passport; leaving extra cash, extra credit cards, passports and personal documents in a safe location. When carrying documents, credit cards, or cash, we recommend that you secure them in a hard-to-reach place and not carry all valuables together in a purse or backpack. "

Here's the URL: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1024.html

Hmm.... that's two state department sites that recommend not carrying passport as a precaution. I'm just say'in. Evaluate you're risk and act accordingly.

But those statements seem to assume that the passport is stashed somewhere safe, but accessible if you need to get it.

I think a cruise is a different circumstance, since your hotel could leave the country without you. While that may be unlikely, what, exactly, do you do if it occurs? Seriously?:confused:

But those statements seem to assume that the passport is stashed somewhere safe, but accessible if you need to get it.

I think a cruise is a different circumstance, since your hotel could leave the country without you. While that may be unlikely, what, exactly, do you do if it occurs? Seriously?:confused:

I agree, this quote doesn't apply in terms of a cruise....seems taken out of context and applied here.....

Archived