She was denied boarding - had expired passport

It is more like $175 to get a passport.

It's up to that? Wow! I coulda sworn it was only $75 when I got mine in 2003. And if anything, I think Americans living overseas are charged more.

But still, for someone to call it a "tax" is a wee bit of an exaggeration. It is an international document which hopefully controls anarchy to some extent.

Again, nobody is required to have one, and since it only effects people who can afford to travel, like myself, I don't have a problem with it.

It is more like $175 to get a passport.

It's up to that? Wow! I coulda sworn it was only $75 when I got mine in 2003. And if anything, I think Americans living overseas are charged more.
Passports fees are now $135, the pricing is the same whether overseas or in the US. Prior to the July 2010 increase, the cost was $75 + $25 processing = $100.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

Hi, this is a little different but I will never forget how my husband went to the airport with an expired license. I remember telling him to get rid of it (he had it behind his current one) Well it actually came in handy as he had left his valid license at the verizon store (we were flying domestic, didn't need passports) and the gate agent let him use the expired license along with a couple of other govt issued ids (SS card; professional license etc).

What makes this interesting is that they noticed it in Boston; however let him rent a car in Las Vegas as well as reboard there never noticing that his drivers license was expiered. Ever since then, I check to see that he has either his valid license (we finally tossed the expired one) or passport before we leave the house.

This is sorta cruise related.

We were heading for a cruise in Hawaii in July. Husband got notification he needed to renew his DL in June. His old one expired August 3 and he didn't want to have to worry about it when we got back. So he went down and did it. They gave him a "paper" one to use until the permanent one came through but he didn't even bother to put it in his wallet. It was going to expire long before the August 3 expiration on his regular DL.

So, we get to the airport, he checks in using his old permanent DL as a picture ID. No problem. We get to checking in for Security. Because his current, still valid, DL had the corner clipped indicating that it is an expired one, they won't let him use it. He pointed out it was still valid until August 3, but no sale with that lady.

Fortunately, and I don't know why, I had our passports with us. I started not to bring them since it was all domestic. My fairy Godmother must have been whispering in my ear when I was packing--"take them, take them." (lol)

Tucker in Texas

When we got our original passports in 2000, we had to pay an additional fee to the USPS (if you go that route).

When we renewed last year, we worked directly with the State Dept, and that was cheaper than renewing through the USPS.

Here is a link to the US Dept of State for by country passport requirements for US citizens (other nationalities may have different requirements).

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4965.html

Costa Rica for instance requires a passport to be valid within 30 days of entry. I am not sure if that includes "stopovers" by cruise passengers or not.

Anyone been to Panama?

The State Dep't sez that Panama requires a visa or a Tourist Card (from the cruise line) for any passengers transiting the Canal by ship and plan to disembark. A visa is not required if you stay on board - at least according to the DoS link.

Can anyone confirm this?

[quote name='touring42']Yes, but that is a different situation.
A recently expired U.S. passport is actually a better proof of U.S. citizenship than a birth certificate.

1) Being federal document, it is much more consistent than the many different birth certificate generated across the U.S. over the past 100 years.

2) It has a photo that probably looks more like the person than the one on the I.D. card. A birth certificate does not. If it did and the picture taken when the birth certificate was issued, it probably would not be an obvious resemblance.

3) If your expired U.S. passport is still in your possession, you have not recently renounced your American citizenship. A birth certificate does not get confiscated if you renounce your citizenship.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm -not buying this. I've never seen a Birth Certificate with a photo! The Passports I got for my 2 and 4 year old Grandkids have pictures of them at age 3-4 weeks old. They don't look anything like that now! They will be renewed when each turns five...WITH new photos. I'm on my fourth Passport, and have had to submit a current photo each time! I think your post is - um - pretty fishy! No offense intended. What's the deal with renouncing citizenship? Haven't seen anyone (except you) mention that. Wierd!!

Archived