Booking with TA questions.....

bornfreenowexpensive

So I called my TA that I used for my first O cruise to book for 2012. She emailed me an invoice with a stateroom and price, but had no mention of onboard credit or prepaid gratuities. We got this on a previous O cruise, but we were part of a large group.

Am I out of place to expect this again if I give her the booking again?

From what I have gathered, this depends on the TA. For example, we get these things from our TA. Then again, we've used her for many cruises by now.

A TA may possibly only give such benefits for returning passengers. But you can always ask!

Or search for another TA ...

So I called my TA that I used for my first O cruise to book for 2012. She emailed me an invoice with a stateroom and price, but had no mention of onboard credit or prepaid gratuities. We got this on a previous O cruise, but we were part of a large group.

You can't just expect or demand that they be included, but you can certainly shop around to see what other Agents are offering.

Many people don't realize that even after you have reserved a stateroom, the booking can be transferred to another agent if you request it (and the "new" Agent does all the work!).

The "old" agent may even discover a better deal for you, after you threaten to switch, but............that's the travel business :cool:

What was the price?? Same as Oceania's web prices??

Our TA does NOT give OBC or Gratuities, but discounts up front the Oceania 2 for 1 price. generally a minimum of 10% below Oceania's best price. More percentage if you decline the Oceania air - as this is not commisionable.

Further if you book on board you get the extra 5% plus the discount from your TA when you transfer it.

What was the price?? Same as Oceania's web prices??

Further if you book on board you get the extra 5% plus the discount from your TA when you transfer it.

I am booking today for a 2012 cruise. I will be sailing on a May 26 2011 cruise. Will I be able to get the "5%" on board discount or do I lose it? I will be transferring my reservation to a TA.

The policy in effect late last year on my cruise, was that the additional 5% discount was gladly given on board for existing reservations where final payment had not been made providing the cabin category on the sailing was not sold out.

This may be the reason why your TA was able to offer you the additional benefits due to the "group" space access on the specific cruise you booked. Your TA may not have the same access to "group" space on other cruises.

You may have to search for a TA that can offer you cash discounts, OBC or pre-paid gratuities and if you are really lucky, a trifecta of all of the extra perks.

Kathleen

I am booking today for a 2012 cruise. I will be sailing on a May 26 2011 cruise. Will I be able to get the "5%" on board discount or do I lose it? I will be transferring my reservation to a TA.

How can you lose something you did not have :D

just ask the Future booking agent onboard I am sure they will adjust your fare

Lyn

Can I add on a question? We have not cruised with Oceania before, but have a HOLD with a TA who is still new to us (he has another cruise on the books for us prior to O cruise). What can I legitimately ask for on discounts? We will stick to air included by O, but can a new person get 5% or any other discounts? Are discounts connected to cabin category/price? Thanks......:confused:

I normally find the best price I can online and ask the TA if they can beat it. From my limited experience Oceania doesn't offer many discounts you have to do some searching. I think for the cruise we're taking this summer, I found somewhere that was offering a few hundred in shipboard credit and free gratuities. I proposed this to my TA and she came back with a slightly better offer.

In my opinion it never hurts to ask -- they can't possibly charge you more than you've already agreed to!

The price was exactly the same as O's web price, plus a $50 service charge. I could book thru O for the same price.

I wrote her back, reminding her tactfully that we got these perks the last time we booked with her for O, and was it going to be the same for this time.

You are not getting a good deal. Service charge? Fageddaboudit.

Find a TA who is a volume TA and does groups. YOu should get prepaid gratuities AND an OBC. No service charge. Shop around.

Can I add on a question? We have not cruised with Oceania before, but have a HOLD with a TA who is still new to us (he has another cruise on the books for us prior to O cruise). What can I legitimately ask for on discounts? We will stick to air included by O, but can a new person get 5% or any other discounts? Are discounts connected to cabin category/price? Thanks......:confused:

The 5% discount is the (current) policy for bookings made while onboard the cruise.

There is no specific discount available to a cruiser new to the cruise line so you just have to shop around for the best price.

Once onboard, if you like what the ship offers and would like to experience it again, then you book another while onboard and enjoy the additional 5% savings. Think of it as a gentle pressure sale:D.

If you don't book while on board, you can get $200 per couple voucher for your next cruise, but this isn't usually as good as the 5% discount, and it does have an expiry date although I read on this board that it's not too strictly enforced.

My TA booked a 2012 cruise for my husband and I at 11% off the lowest Oceania brochure price, pre-paid gratuities for a PH suite and $150 on-board credit. I never asked her for this...she offered...and we gave her our deposit right away!

My TA booked a 2012 cruise for my husband and I at 17% off the lowest Oceania brochure price, pre-paid gratuities for a PH suite and $150 on-board credit. I never asked her for this...she offered...and we gave her our deposit right away!

She must get a very BIG commission rate from Oceania to discount that much

I just edited my statement it was 11% off lowest brochure price not 17%. Pre-paid gratuities for PH suite and $150 SBC. Great deal! I am very appreciative!

Still a good discount

I just booked with a TA that I found on the internet. We have never cruised before or even been out of USA. Will start cruise in Rome and end in London. I noticed on my confirmation that I am paying an extra $248 pp for transfers. Is this something I can cancel at this point and will I save money arranging my own transfers. I booked this trip and paid the deposit a couple of days ago. Also thinking maybe I should cancel the hotel and get my own, if I still can.

For most cruises, where the hotel is calculated per person, you can get a hotel -- indeed the same hotel O is using -- for a lot less.

The transfers from the hotel to the ship are also calculated pp. A cab will be a lot less and will not charge you pp. With the money you save on the hotel alone you can transfer to the ship.

Make sure that TA has a group -- if so, you will get gratuities included and an OBC.

I just booked with a TA that I found on the internet. We have never cruised before or even been out of USA. Will start cruise in Rome and end in London. I noticed on my confirmation that I am paying an extra $248 pp for transfers. Is this something I can cancel at this point and will I save money arranging my own transfers. I booked this trip and paid the deposit a couple of days ago. Also thinking maybe I should cancel the hotel and get my own, if I still can.

You can take the cruise + air or cruise only

Any combination you want

I think a lot of TA's just add the whole package you can remove any part you do not want to use up to final payment day

Some also add in insurance so make sure it suits your needs

You can save a lot of money by doing your own hotel (even if you stay at Oceania's hotel but on your own) and transfers. The question is: have you made final payment yet?

If yes, I don't know that you can do anything now. But if you haven't made final payment, notify your TA that you don't want to use these services.

We always do our own hotels and transfers. The hotel costs are particularly egregious since they are per person.

Mura

Archived