Almost disapppointed...but then very impressed with Eclipse

oktocruise

We just returned from the Eclipse and wanted to share our experiences from the Spring Break cruise.

Our trip started out very challenging. Our family booked a flight leaving on Friday morning for a Saturday afternoon cruise. We always choose to go a day early just in case there are issues. Well, we had a mechanical failure on the runway when leaving on our first flight. There was a 2-hour delay which meant we would miss our connection. They said that due to Spring Break all flights were booked and they could get us to Miami on Monday! Long story, but after 13 hours we made it to Miami on Friday evening. The kids were exhausted, though.

We were so glad to get on the Eclipse and thankful we even made it for our launch on Saturday.

Dinning

That night we went to the MDR, all pretty tired from the day before. We ordered Soy Milk for the kids (three families going together, total of 10 of us). We asked several times but it took over 30 minutes to get the milk. By this time the kids were pretty spent. To say the least, we were not happy. On the second day, it happened again! MDR staff was definitely not on their game for our table. I talked to the Maitre D' and explained the situation.

We decided to go to Tuscan Grille the next night (just the two of us). Had our 7 yr old daughter go to Kids Club and family member watch out little one. We had an amazing dinner and experience at Tuscan Grille. The fillet was one of the best we ever had anywhere in the world. Appetizers and dessert were amazing. In fact, we loved it so much we took our in-laws there again the next night.

On Day Four, we decided to go back to MDR for dinner. When we arrived, our Soy Milk was chilled and waiting at the table for the kids. We had wonderful service. In fact, we had casually mentioned to Maitre D' in Tuscan Grille (TG) the night before we preferred Chilean Sea Bass (we ordered Sea Bass and it was Meditteranean and good). To our surprise, TG talked to MDR and they brought us a fabulous Chilean Sea Bass with our entre that we didn't even order.

Our dinning experience in MDR the rest of the week was amazing. Good food and exellent service. They redeemed themselves after a rocky start. We were very impressed.

We also enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffets. At night we liked to have a little sushi before MDR. Definitely don't miss the lunch buffet in MDR on sea day. Excellent.

Stateroom

We booked an AFT, C1 cabin and loved it. There was plenty of room for 3 (parents and 1 kid). We had an adjoining room next door with two of our other family members. Nice bathroom in Concierge Class. Good storage with shelves over bed. Canapies were just ok, but enjoyed expanded room service menu. Shakes and fresh squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice with room service every day was a nice touch. Our stateroom attendent heard we had problems in MDR first day (staff communication was impressive) and she made sure our experience was superb.

Loved the wake and not too much walking involved. We selected cabin that had a slightly larger balcony. Our attendent was one of the best. When we were carrying our little one, she would come and open the door for us. Anything we needed, she would get within minutes. Some of the best service we have ever had on a ship or 5-star hotel.

Pool

We truly enjoyed the pool area. Little kids loved fountains to splash in before going in pool. We also loved to go to Adult pool area. To paint a picture, one day I was relaxing in Solarium. I closed my eyes, listening to soft music and feeling the warm air. I imagined I was in some tropical paradise and then opened my eyes and realized I was! The Solarium is a nice touch and one of the highlights of the ship. In fact, without kids we would book Aqua Spa next time.

Entertainment

There was so much to do on the ship every day. We liked the glass blowing show and lawn club. Bocce ball was fun and relaxing on the grass lawn was a welcome change from the pool area.

We enjoyed the shows in the evening each night. The Acapella Group was good. We very much liked the West End singer, who was amazing. The Cirque du Soleil type show was very entertaining. We also like listening to the string quartet from Argentina. The dance lessons were fun and my little one is still talking about watching the cha cha cha!

We especially liked that some of the evening music entertainment would pop up all over the ship throughout the day.

Kids Club

We have a 7 yr old daughter. She absolutely loved Kids Club. We were not sure about it before the cruise. She loved the activities and crafts they did, as well as meeting several new friends. In fact, she is going to stay in touch with them over the summer! The staff was friendly and made the kids feel welcome. They were professional and rembered their names. I noticed that they would come up and talk to them during the day while walking around the ship, even when they were not part of Kids Club at that particular time.

For someone with a child under 3, you can still take advantage of Kids Club but have to stay with them. This is still nice to do arts and crafts and use their toys for a break from pool and other activities. Your child will need to be potty trained to leave them at Kids Club if they are 3+ or use the pool. Glad we potty trained before the trip!

Embarkation and Debarkation

We did get a seperate line while boarding the ship for Conciege Class. This was a shorter line and nice touch. We were a bit nervous about catching our shuttle to airport last day by 9am. They assured us we would be fine and to leave luggage out night before rather than do express debarkation. We were scheduled with 7:30am group. They called for us at 7:30 and we were through security and had our luggage by 7:45am!

Overall

I know we started out rough with our flight and bad experience in MDR. I can say, though, that Celebrity went out of their way in all aspects to make sure our cruise was first class. We had a wonderful time and would definitely choose Celebrity again. They are one of the best in class. We loved Eclipse and am pleased they are coming out with more S-Class ships.

thanks for the review, and it is great you pointed out an issue at the MDR so that it could not be addressed, then the crew added extras....one of the things I love about Celebrity. There can always be issues, but they seem to make a legit attempt at rectifying it and making us happy.

You didn't let an issue cause you problems and thats what its all about...our enjoyment while vacationing!

Den

Thanks for your review. Sounds like a great cruise.

You mentioned that you had a separate line at embarkation. Did you also have priorty embarkation at each port as C1 cabin? Thanks.

I only noticed it at original port in Miami. I believe there was only one line at each port but not positive. We waited to leave ship for port until about 30 minutes after arriving at each port and there was not many in line. Getting back on ship we did not notice seperate line but there again, we boarded well before last call. We loved the cold towels and cold water upon boarding at each port. Celebrity does a nice job with the "extras" that add to the experience.

thanks for the review, and it is great you pointed out an issue at the MDR so that it could not be addressed, then the crew added extras....one of the things I love about Celebrity. There can always be issues, but they seem to make a legit attempt at rectifying it and making us happy.

You didn't let an issue cause you problems and thats what its all about...our enjoyment while vacationing!

Den

Yes, we could have let the first experience ruin our trip. We did point out the problem and they responded that this was not up to Celebrity standards. They promised they would win us back over and we would have the best experience in cruising. They did not disappoint.

I could mention all the little things they did but it would take some time. I met the Celebrity rep at our Connections Party and told her of our first night experience. She made sure to follow up with me to make sure all was ok. The Maitre D' offered to personally take us on a galley tour one day before lunch. They brought chocolate covered strawberries to our room one night. On another night, our little one was getting tired so I left the MDR without finishing dinner to put him to bed. They put the rest of my meal together and it arrived to my stateroom within 3 minutes of my arrival!

Celebrity is certainly a step above the rest!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the wonderful review! I'm glad we got to meet you and some of your family members! Celebrity is only cruise line that has consistently made us feel special. Hope to see you, Rebecca and your kids again on another cruise.

Enjoy!

Kel (Kelly and Lauren)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the wonderful review! I'm glad we got to meet you and some of your family members! Celebrity is only cruise line that has consistently made us feel special. Hope to see you, Rebecca and your kids again on another cruise.

Enjoy!

Kel (Kelly and Lauren)

It was great to meet you and Lauren as well. We had an absolutely fabulous time and are already talking about when we can go on another cruise. Our two-year old keeps saying that the big, big ship has gone bye bye.

Celebrity won us over. Would love to go on Eclipse again or one of their new S-Class Ships when they launch.

Thanks for organizing Connections and this forum. Our daughter was able to connect with another family who had a daughter her same age through this group and they have become friends.

Take care! Hopefully we can stay in touch.

I bet you will be thankful for a December cruise during the winter! What a great time to take a break from the weather for some R&R. If per chance you have a day with not so nice weather on the cruise, there is always the Solarium. We are really missing that now that we are home. Talk about tranquility. And I didn't even mention the hammock beds and cabanas.

OK, so I am talking myself into booking another cruise on Eclipse! I've got to stop getting on this forum! :)

I bet you will be thankful for a December cruise during the winter! What a great time to take a break from the weather for some R&R. If per chance you have a day with not so nice weather on the cruise, there is always the Solarium. We are really missing that now that we are home. Talk about tranquility. And I didn't even mention the hammock beds and cabanas.

OK, so I am talking myself into booking another cruise on Eclipse! I've got to stop getting on this forum! :)

Yup, I can't wait! Thanks for the tip on the Solarium!

Additional thoughts about the cruise...

Tuscan Grille

As mentioned previously, we loved the Fillet Mignon. Try the meatballs as well, though. We ordered 3-4 with sauce as a side dish to share both nights. They are made with Kobe beef. Our server said he has a regular customer that only orders the meatballs each time he comes to the restaurant. We also liked the calamari for an appetizer. The creme brulee was exceptional but I have to admit we ordered most of the desserts to share and all were good.

Bisto on Five was nice for crepes for a small charge. If you don't go there, definitely go to brunch on one of the last sea days (either day 5 or 6). They had crepes there and a wonderful assortment of seafood and salads.

Ports

Usually we like to do excursions, but with kids and a group of ten, we decided to simply do some beach activities and shopping.

Puerto Rico

This port was nice. Visited museums. One suggestion - if you need sundry items, there is a CVS right off the port within walking distance. Great place to get things that you forgot or didn't want to pack and take in suitcase.

St Maarten

We were a bit tired that day. Took the water taxi to go to beach right next to port and then shopping. You can have unlimited trips back and forth with water taxi. If you elect to go to other beaches that require transportation, some are what they call "family-friendly" and others not.

St Kitts

This was our favorite beach of the trip. We got a taxi ($2.50US pp one-way) to Marriott hotel. Great beach and they let you use their chairs/cabanas by the beach. You have to pay if you use their pool and facilities. They also offered a room for half-day. I read about a rate of $65 but when we got to front desk they said $125. I suggest you get in writing ahead of time if possible from hotel since front desk quotes higher rat. We were simply planning on chairs by beach anyway but were looking at options.

You can get a message on beach with fresh aloe for around $35 if I recall. Try to have ladies who have cabana since there are several who just come up to you and offer message.

Read your dailies since there are so many activities on the ship. Most are free. Very nice work-out facility with difference classes. There were different dance classes and even Apple classes for iPhone/iPad. We had a Celebrity Chef cruise and there were fun cooking classes. So much to offer, which is nice if you want a break from sun. We also liked the reading room. Noticed they had bridge every day but this is not our thing.

Almost forgot to mention the eggs benedict on breakfast buffet. Good but what was interesting was the variety in addition to the traditional. Tried the Mexican version which was interesting with salsa and guacamole. And do go to the Aft of the buffet dining room and sit outside for a breakfast or lunch. When else can you do that overlooking the ocean and fresh breeze?

Wow that is a lot for slow soy milk...... I know you didn't ask for all that....and that is what makes it even nicer.

I agree. They noticed our frustration but we were nice when we explained what happened. I believe in customer service and understand from a business perspective how to handle a situation. They excelled in their response. We did not ask for all they did, which showed us they truly want to be the best in the business.

Thanks for the review and I am glad that you enjoyed the Eclipse. Do you remember when the kids zone had parents night out? I'd like to book Tuscan Grille for that night.

Unfortunately I do not remember the exact night. It was about mid-week but I know that does not help. I may ask family if they remember the exact day. I do know that there were activities every night that our daughter loved. On the nights we went to Specialty Restaurants, we took her to early buffet dinner, she then went to Kids Club and we went to dinner. Another thing to consider is the first day on the cruise they offered 20% discount if you ate at Specialty Restaurant during sea days (first 2 days). Not sure if they do this on every cruise. Someone said they might give credit if you booked early and ate on sea days. We did not book early so I cannot confirm this.

Hi, I really enjoyed your review:) and I am also in agreement about

informing them when something is not right to give them a chance

to fix it.

We had a dining room issue on Summit last month and spoke with

the Maitr'd and things were made right.

Happy to read you ended up having a great cruise:)

Thanks for the great review.

Had a question about the Marriott. Our friend told us she cabbed

to the Marriott and just walked thru the resort and sat on the beach

and ordered food and drinks and didn't pay for the day pass as they

didn't want to use the other facilities. Is that what you did?

We only have a short day in St Kitts, and just want to relax on the

beach for a few hours.

Thanks.

Thanks for the great review.

Had a question about the Marriott. Our friend told us she cabbed

to the Marriott and just walked thru the resort and sat on the beach

and ordered food and drinks and didn't pay for the day pass as they

didn't want to use the other facilities. Is that what you did?

We only have a short day in St Kitts, and just want to relax on the

beach for a few hours.

Thanks.

That is exactly what we did. The taxi cost us $2.50 US pp each way. We simply walked through the lobby and past the pool on to the beach. A man came up to us and offered to get some chairs and cabana. We gave him a tip, although that was not required. There was no charge for the chairs or cabanas by the beach. Great way to relax for a few hours while in St. Kitts. The taxi ride only took about 10 minutes.

We found this beach to not have many waves or surf in some areas, which made it nice with two kids. In fact, by the rock area when we were in the water we noticed lots of fish swimming by us. Our two year old loved it! I highly recommend the Marriott. We did the same thing a few months ago in Grand Cayman as well.

there was a review a while ago that the person said they had an issue at the MDR the 1st time they went there. They didn't enjoy it, so they spent the rest of the evenings dining at the Buffet or other venues, and they thought the cruise was mediocre. I felt bad for them. I thought it was too bad they didn't address the issue and get if fixed and enjoy the rest of the time instead of camping out at the buffet in the evenings.

Many of us have problems telling someone we have a problem with what they are doing (or not doing), and tend to step away from the situation....that works, but we also miss out as in that case.

Den

there was a review a while ago that the person said they had an issue at the MDR the 1st time they went there. They didn't enjoy it, so they spent the rest of the evenings dining at the Buffet or other venues, and they thought the cruise was mediocre. I felt bad for them. I thought it was too bad they didn't address the issue and get if fixed and enjoy the rest of the time instead of camping out at the buffet in the evenings.

Many of us have problems telling someone we have a problem with what they are doing (or not doing), and tend to step away from the situation....that works, but we also miss out as in that case.

Den

I definitely agree. We could have kept quiet about it but would have had a real bad taste in our mouth about Celebrity and probably never tried them again. We nicely told them what happended and gave them a chance. They definitely went the extra mile to make sure we had a good experience. We felt like their response was to win over a customer for life rather than simply apologize and make excuses. I just wish more companies had this same attitude! We left impressed with their service and quality of ship and employees.

Archived